Secret Best Friend?

Noona, I think I love you

Hey, my name is Min Yoongi and I’m an 16 year old High School student studying at Keisung Boys High School. Yes, an all boys school which is really boring because there are no female students to look at. Everywhere you look it’s just guys…guys…and more guys! Even the teachers are all guys!

But, I count myself lucky because I have a pretty girl right beside me. Her name is Go Minhee and we have known each other since we were kids, she has long wavy hair and pretty eyes and a small nose and a beautiful smile. What more could a guy ask for?

However…she’s just my best friend, best friend and nothing more. Not girlfriend…not lover…just friend. But that’s where everyone starts at first isn’t it? From friends…to something more… and that’s exactly where my story starts.

 

“Yoongi ah!!! Yoongi ah!!!” My Mom screamed.

“Yoongi ah, wake up now or you’ll be late for school!!”

I scrunched my face as I buried my head deeper into my pillow.

“Five more minutes..” I mumbled sleepily.

I was about to fall right back asleep when suddenly I felt something wet and squishy against my face.

I turned my face around and opened my eyes just as my dog’s wet salivating tongue brushed across my face.

“Ugghhh! Choco!!” I screamed, pushing my dog aside with my arm.

He was a brown and white Welsh Corgi, you know the kind with the pointy ears and short legs.

“arff! Arr arf!!” Choco barked, jumping on the bed on his short legs and staring at me.

“Fine..fine..I’ll get up.” I mumbled, pushing myself off my bed.

I sighed as I dragged my feet towards the door, still rubbing my half closed eyes.

“arf! Arf arf arf!!” Choco continued to bark excited.

“Yeah Yeah….I’ll get you your breakfast..” I mumbled.

I didn’t see my skateboard lying on the ground in front of me and my foot got caught between the wheels and I tripped over it.

“Omo!!” I exclaimed, grabbing the doorknob to stable myself.

My eyes were wide open now, if I hadn’t caught myself in time I would have landed face first onto the ground.

I grabbed my skateboard and threw it in a corner as I proceed to the bathroom to wash up and get ready for school.

I ran the tap and stuck the toothbrush into my mouth and started brushing my teeth when I realized there was a pimple on the side of my cheek.

“Awww man..” I mumbled as I quickly finished up what I had to do in the bathroom and proceeded to my room to change.

I buttoned my shirt and hung my tie loosely over my collar and started slapping bb cream on my face to cover up the pimple, then I grabbed my eyeliner pencil and drew some eyeliner on my lids before I grabbed my bag and exited my room.

“Here you go..Choco..” I said as I bent down and placed the bowl of dog food in front of him.

Choco gave a small bark as he ate his food hungrily. I laughed at him as I him on his head, he was such a greedy dog.

“Umma, I’m off!” I told my Mom as I proceeded towards the door.

“Yah Yah yah! What are you doing going off without having your breakfast?” My Mom demanded, walking up to me and blocking my way.

“I’ll eat it on the way…” I replied, grabbed two red bean buns from the dining table.

“Yah, what’s that on your face?” My Mom asked, grabbing my arm.

“Whhattt??” I whined, rolling my eyes.

“Did you put make up!?” She exclaimed, wiping her hand across my cheek.

“Uummmmaaaa…you’ll make my pimple grow biggerrr…” I protested, pushing her hand away.

“Yoongi ah..you’re a boy! Boys don’t put make up!” She frowned.

“Umma, it’s not the 60s anymore…nowadays..guys use cosmetics too…and it’s not make up…just bb cream..” I explained, walking past her towards the door.

“Yah, wear you tie properly!” She continued to nag, following me out the door.

“Umma…byeee…” I waved at her as I closed the door before she could say anymore.

I heaved a sigh of relief as I turned around and at that moment I saw Minhee just coming out of her apartment.

“Oh Noona!” I smiled, immediately changing my expression when I saw her.

Minhee was two years older than me (18) so I called her Noona.

“Yoongi ah…is ahjumma giving you a hard time again?” She asked, turning the key in her lock.

Minhee lived next door to me and we practically knew each other since we were born. However, her parents had passed away in a car accident a few years ago and she has been living alone in the apartment ever since. It was hard on her having to take care of the rent and all the expenses by herself at such a young age.

“Ahh…she’s just being herself…a naggy old ahjumma..” I joked.

“Well at least you have ahjumma to nag at you…” Minhee smiled as we walked to the lift together.

“Sometimes I miss my Umma’s voice so much..” She sighed, looking down at the floor.

“Noona…I’m sure you didn’t have breakfast yet…here..I stole some of Umma’s red bean buns for you!” I grinned, passing one of the buns to her in an effort to cheer her up.

“Heol! Yoongi ah…you’re a lifesaver! I forgot to go to the store the other say so I didn't have anything left in my fridge this morning…Gomawo!” Minhee said excitedly as she bit into the bread.

I smiled as I watched her eat; she looked so pretty when she smiled.

“Mmmmmm…it’s so yummy..” Minhee continued with her mouthful.

“Eat slowly…” I smiled at her as we walked towards the bus stop.

Later we reached our schools, Minhee studied in an all girls school which was just next to my school.

“So I’ll see you at lunch?” I told Minhee as I walked backwards towards my school gate.

“Mmmm! See you at lunch Yoongi ah…” She waved back.

I nodded at her as I turned and walked into my school, looking up at the school’s clock. God, I had to like spend 8 hours in this boring place again without Minhee….life .

“Hyung!” I heard someone call as he ran up beside me.

I turned to look at him and realized it was Namjoon, my closest friend in school.

“Oh..Namjoon ah…” I greeted him as we walked into the school together.

“Hyung…look!” He said excitedly as he showed my his phone.

“The rap song we wrote already has 10,000 listens on Sound cloud!! There are even comments asking us to upload more..and some of them want us to make a video so they can see what we look like.” Namjoon rambled on excitedly.

“Cool!” I said, grabbing the phone from him and looking at it.

“We gotta finish the rest of the song later.”

Namjoon nodded in agreement as we entered the school building and proceeded to class.

“Yah, are you not gonna take those shades off? Baek Seonsaengnim is gonna give you dentention again…” I warned.

“Hyung! Stop being a nag…are you getting old already??” Namjoon said, smacking me on my shoulder.

I sighed as I rolled my eyes at him and we proceeded to our seats. The classroom was already filled with students and everyone was noisily talking to each other or throwing stuff around. You would probably never ever get to see a sight like this in a co-ed school.

The classroom door slowly opened as Mr. Baek pushed the door to get into the classroom. What he didn’t know was that someone had placed the chalk duster on top of the door and when Mr. Baek walked in the duster fell on top of his head with a poof of smoke.

Namjoon and I looked at each other and we burst out laughing, so did the rest of the class.

“Ahem!!” Mr. Baek cleared his throat loudly as he walked to the center of the classroom dusting his hair with his hand.

“Trust the lot of you to be so childish still at your age!” He bellowed, adjusting his spectacles.

“Now let’s get to work! Open your history textbooks to page 163!” He ordered.

The class quietened down as Mr. Baek starting with the lesson.

After a while, I looked to my left and realized Namjoon had already fallen asleep nodding his head off on his chair. The good thing about his tinted glasses was that you couldn’t see his eyes clearly so you didn’t know if they were open or not.

I sneakily stood my history book upright on my desk so that I could block what I was doing, then I pulled out my iPod touch and stuck the earphones into my right ear.

I nodded along to the song as it started to play, then I pulled out my notebook (the one I wrote song lyrics in) and started scribbling down some lines.

I loved writing music…well mostly rap and Namjoon was my partner…recorded small songs together and posted them on the internet for people to listen to. It was such a satisfaction whenever we knew people liked listening to our music and commented on our music.

I also loved letting Minhee hear the songs we made, whenever Namjoon and I recorded a song she would be the first person that I let to hear.

However, I never told Namjoon about Minhee…you see the thing is…I wanted to keep her to myself. I was afraid if I told anyone else about her…they could hit off and then become an item…then there would be nothing left for me.

Little did I know, my worst fears were about to come true.

A while later, Mr. Baek noticed Namjoon dozing off in his class and stopped his lesson to walk over to our desks.

“Yah! Namjoon ah! Wake up!! Baek Seonsaengnim!!” I hissed, kicking his leg under the table.

“Huhhh…” Namjoon mumbled, his head waving here and there but he wasn’t really waking.

“Aiishhh…” I hissed, pulling off my earphone as Mr. Baek approached.

“Kim Namjoon!!!” Mr. Baek bellowed, slamming his hand loudly on Namjoon’s table.

“Ssss Seonsaengnim!” Namjoon blurted out, sitting up straight in his chair.

“Are you sleeping in my class!?” Mr. Baek demanded.

I bit my lip as I pretended to look at my book.

“He didn’t see me listening to my iPod did he?” I thought.

It wasn’t that I was afraid of the teachers or anything, it was just…if they gave me detention then I wouldn’t be able to see Minhee during lunch and after school…on top of staying in this hell hole called school for 8 hours already!

“No! Seonsaengnim!” Namjoon replied, equally as loud as the teacher.

“Who said you could wear tinted glasses to school!?” Mr. Baek continued, pointing at Namjoon’s face.

“It’s my eyes Seongsaengnim…I can’t really take bright lights..” Namjoon lied.

“Heol..Bull..” I smirked, mumbling to myself.

“Don’t lie to me! Take them off now!”

“But Seongsaengnim! I can’t see without them!”

“I said…take them off…NOW!” Mr. Baek shouted, reaching out to pull off Namjoon’s shades but he ducked away.

There was a furious expression on Mr. Baek’s face as he tried again to pull the shades off Namjoon’s face but again…he failed…

And again…

He class burst out laughing.

“Kim Namjoon!! Get out of my class now!” Mr. Baek roared.

“Fine…it’s boring in here anyway..” Namjoon mumbled as he walked past Mr. Baek and out the door.

“See me after class!! I’m giving you detention and extra assignments!!”

Mr. Baek glanced at me and I quickly looked away before he could catch me for anything. Then he turned and walked towards the front of the class to continue with the lesson.

“Whew…that was a close call..”

Later, the bell rang for lunch and I proceeded out of the class.

“Got detention…but I managed to sneak in my phone with me kekekekeke….see you after school Hyung!” I got Namjoon’s text.

I laughed as I stuffed my phone into my trousers pocket and walked towards the school sports field.

We weren’t allowed to leave school for lunch but I had found a secret passage that led to the girls school next door so I could sneak over and have lunch with Minhee.

I made sure no one was looking then I hurried to behind the sports field where the lockers were, there was a short wall there and a fit guy could easily climb over it to get to the other side.

I hopped onto the bench and grabbed onto the top of the wall then I hoisted myself over and viola…I landed on the other side.

I turned around as a group of girls shrieked when they saw me, then they quickly hurried away.

“What? Do I look like ghost or anything?” I mumbled to myself as I touched my face.

“Yoongi ah!” I heard Minhee’s voice as she hurried over upon seeing me.

“Noona!” I smiled as I walked over to her.

“So…what’s for lunch today?” I asked her as we walked up the stairs towards the rooftop.

“Hmmm..Bulgolgi Burger! And Cup Ramyeon!” Minhee grinned, holding up the plastic bag in her hand.

“I got us some drinks!” I said, holding up the two cans of chilsung cider I bought at the school vending machine.

Minhee turned to me and raised her finger to say something but I read her mind and said it instead.

“Yes…DIET Chilsung cider for you..” I smiled.

“Yoongi ah…what will I do without you?” Minhee grinned as she grabbed my arm and pulled me out towards the rooftop.

We sat down at the corner and started opening our food to eat.

“Ohh…Noona..” I suddenly spoke, lifting my head up from my bulgolgi burger.

“Hmmm?” Minhee asked, raising her eyebrows.

“I finally finished the song I was working on and uploaded it online last night…do  you wanna listen to it?” I said, taking out my iPod.

“Sure!” Minhee replied, with an eyesmile.

“It’s about..school and dreams..” I told her, pushing her hair behind her ears and securing the earphones.

I watched Minhee as she nodded hear head to the music, seeing her…my bestest friend in the world enjoying the song I wrote made me feel even more happy.

Just then, Minhee slowly removed one of the earphones from her ear and placed it in my ear so that the both of us were connected my the earphones.

My cheeks started to get hot as her finger brushed against my cheek for a split second. She smiled at me and it was like there was electricity between us.

My heart started to beat a little faster as I smiled back at her…

But no…

I wasn’t going to tell her how I felt about her…

I’ve been hiding my feelings for her for so many years already…so what is another few more?

As long as she was by my side…

There was nothing more that I could ask for..

“But…Yoongi ah…” Minhee suddenly spoke, disrupting me from my thoughts.

“Hmmm?” I questioned, raising my eyebrows.

“I can hear another guy rapping in the song…”

“Who is he? How come you never told me about him?” She asked.

“Oohhh…” I stuttered, not prepared for that question.

“He’s my friend in school…his name is Kim Namjoon…” I replied.

“He has a really deep voice…maybe next time you can introduce me to him…”

“Oh…Yoongi ah..why don’t you bring him over here for lunch next time too! It’ll be fun!” Minhee said excitedly.

“You’ll bring him next time won’t you!?” Minhee grinned, grabbing my hand.

Her hand brushed against the earphone wire as she grabbed my hand and the earphone fell out of my ear.

I sighed as I looked at the fallen earphone and nodded.

“Mmmm..” I said, forcing a smile.