The Parting

Seoul Searching

 

 
"Do you love me?" Song Ji Hyo asked him when he got back to South Korea. He was gone for a month and a half, so he hurriedly went off to see his girlfriend who has been waiting for her for months already. He promised Ji Hyo that he'll come after her to Seoul, however, due to some circumstances, he was not able to compromise it. When he saw Ji Hyo, he could initially tell that something has changed. He was surprised to hear her asked him that question for she had never asked him that before. 
 
He smiled at Song Ji Hyo first, so he could tell her 'Of course, I do.", but before he could even say the words, Ji Hyo said something he'd never thought she'd say. Ji Hyo looked at him with teary eyes as she asked, "If yes, could you please set me free?". He choked and was in a gape when he heard it. "What did you just say?" Kang Gary, asked. "Please set me free." she said while looking at his eyes. "What is this crazy thing you're talking about Song Ji Hyo-yah?" he asked looking at his 'girlfriend'. 
 
Ji Hyo just stared blank at him. She didn't repeat what she said, but he knows she knows that he knows what she's talking about. "Is this because I wasn't able to spend time with you?" he asked the blank Ji Hyo in front of him. "If so, I'll book a year for us to have a vacation. Just don't say those words." he said with his voice on a raise. Ji Hyo is still looking at him. "Ya! Ji Hyo-yah, what is this?" he asked again as he's so curious of what's going on with their relationship. He sighed hearing Ji Hyo sighed. 
 
"Don't tell me -- " he stopped not wishing to continue with his words. He knows if it will be true, he might be in a bad state, but he just can't let it be like this, so he asked it - "there's another man?". Ji Hyo looked at him not denying what he just said. "Huh!" he reacted bitterly. "So, that's why you have the courage to tell that to me? Because you already found a man?" he asked. "Who is that man? He is that capable than I am? More influential than I am? Does he have more than I have?" he asked in continuous manner.
 
He looked at Ji Hyo and saw her without any reaction. It angers him to see her react to him like that. It angers him to see that the flames that Ji Hyo has for him had already died down. He couldn't see himself clearly in Ji Hyo's eyes anymore. "Don't worry, he's not like you. He's an ordinary man with a  rich heart." she answered him making her words pained his heart. He doesn't want to look pitiful in front of her, so he asked in a smiling way, "Does he even make you happy?". His smile was seen nowhere when she answered him, "Very happy." 
 
Gary looked at her and smiled again. "Then, go ahead, you're free." he said casually. Ji Hyo looked at him, but he showed her his best smile. "Go to where that man is." he said still smiling at the woman who was his world. Ji Hyo looked at him and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you. I hope you find the woman who'll stay in love forever with you." she said and turned away at him. He grabbed her arm making her stopped walking away from him. "What's his name?" he asked all of a sudden. She smiled at the thought of the name of the man he's asking as she said, "Kim Jong Kook." 
 
Back to the present, Gary, who was watching the couple from afar, looked at them with great intensity as he saw Jong Kook hugged Ji Hyo tightly. It has been two months since Ji Hyo broke up with him. Although he played it cool when she said she wanted to be out of a relationship, he died inside that day. The reason that Ji Hyo gave him was too unbearable, but he knows he has a part to be guilty of. Their relationship was sooner ended as he had never thought. "Pabo-ya, Ji Hyo-ya. You said he's making you very happy, but look at you now, crying like a puppy." he thought to himself while still looking painfully at the seriously talking couple.
 
He heard his phone rang, so he went a little far from where he was standing. "What did you say?" he asked in shock. He looked at where the couple were sitting and talking about things seriously. "Are you telling me you'll finish what you were not able to finish just because things are working fine with them again?" he asked worriedly. "You're what? You're the one responsible for this? What are you trying to convey?" he asked in a concerned tone to the person speaking on the other line. "Ya! What the heck did you do to Kim Jong Kook that night?" his eyes widened as the other person in the line said the words in terror, "Let that Kim Jong Kook hug Song Ji Hyo that tight for sooner or later, he'll be out of our sight."