Pain

Young Master

"What are we doing in the hospital, Oppa?" Hyori asked. Kyungsoo held her hand and squeezed.
"We're going to get your eyesight back." He gave her a half smile and tried to sound upbeat to not scare her. The hospital gave both Do kids a nauseous feeling especially since the last time they had been there was Hyori and their mother had gotten into that accident. Kyungsoo shook his head, if he didn't get over this fear of hospitals then how could Hyori face her operation?
"My eyesight?" Hyori sounded anxious, "but won't it cost a lot?"
"It's okay, I have money saved up from my job, remember?" And the inheritance that their money left them, but Kyungsoo couldn't bring it in himself to even touch that money. He had put it into Hyori's college funds instead. Earlier that day he had went to the bank and looked at how much he had saved. Mr. Kim kept his promise and had been generous with Kyungsoo's pay. But after the operation, Kyungsoo barely had enough money to last them a while before he would have to get another job.
"But, Oppa..." She squeezed her brother's hand, her own hand trembling.
"It's okay." Kyungsoo said again.
"What about Kai Oppa and the others?"
It was a reasonable question Kyungsoo felt conflicted and betrayed. He wanted to sob and scream that they wouldn't see them again and that they live in different worlds. "They aren't coming. They're busy with other things." Kyungsoo said calmy, relieved that his voice didn't crack this time. "It's okay." Kyungsoo repeated. He felt like a parrot, unable to say anything else that would comfort the both of them. 
"Mr. Do?" A nurse came up to them. She was an older nurse with a kind smile on her face. "The doctor is ready to see you now." Kyungsoo gave her a small smile and nodded. 
"Come on, Hyori." He squeezed her small hand in his and led her to where her life would change.

"Are you scared?" Hyori asked her older brother. She sat in the hospital bed waiting for the doctor to come back. They had gone through a series of tests and were waiting for the results. The hospital clothing she wore itched but it was nothing compared to the anxiousness of waiting for the news.
"I should be asking you that," Kyungsoo gave a nervous laugh.
"It's okay to be scared." Hyori reached for Kyungsoo's hand and patted it. It reminded him of the way their mother used to do when Kyungsoo was nervous or scared. The memory brought tears to his eyes that he refused to shed. "I'll be brave enough for the both of us." Hyori smiled. Now the tears were trying harder to break free from Kyungsoo's eyes.
"I'm your Oppa. I should be the brave one."
"You've been the brave one when Mom died. It's my turn now. It's okay to cry, I won't tell anyone."
Now the tears were free falling. They dampened Kyungsoo's clothes and he tried his best to wipe them away before the doctor came back in. "Thank you." He whispered roughly. He hugged his sister tightly until she complained about the lack of oxygen. 
The doctor came in and told Kyungsoo that the tests were fine, Hyori would go under operation as soon as possible. The only thing left to do was wait for a donor that matched Hyori.
Kyungsoo let out a breath he didn't know he was holding. "Thank god." He tilted his head back in his chair and smiled at Hyori in relief. His baby sister would finally be able to see again.


Kyungsoo sat on the edge of his bed. Hyori slept soundly in the bed next to him so he didn't dare make a sound. Kyungsoo rented a furnished apartment near the hospital just in case he got any news of a donor for Hyori. It was more than he would have liked to pay but if it was for Hyori it was worth it. Luckily it was big enough for the two of them and had its own kitchen. Kyungsoo should have been relieved now that Hyori would soon be able to see again but he just couldn't sleep at night. The bags under his eyes were growing darker each day he didn't sleep for more than an hour or two. His chest had been aching for days but he ignored it. It was probably just indigestion he told himself as he rubbed his chest hoping the pain would go away. Not to mention his headache that wouldn't go away either. He got up from the bed and tiptoed to the kitchen and swallowed some Advil. Kyungsoo felt tired but his mind was awake and a busybody. He thought too much and too deeply about somethings. About someone. A particular someone. Kyungsoo shook his head, immediately regretting it when the room spun and his head ached even more. He wobbled to bed, the room still spinning. He was almost there, just a few steps away until the world went black.

 

 

Sorry that this chapter is shorter than usual but I couldn't resist ending today with a cliffhanger. Thank you all for reading this so far, I'll be sure to update soon(maybe). ^_^||