Chance

I Still Love You

Seongsaengnim- teacher

Noona- older sis

Suzy'z POV

 

 

            We’re in the library right now. The principal made a surprise visit to our class because our class has been missing a few teachers lately and she was ‘worried’, as what she stated to us, that we aren’t focusing in our studies much, as she also stated.

           I’m starting to get sleepy because we’ve been in here for almost two hours and we couldn’t talk.

         I mean, no. We can talk quietly like most of them are doing right now. Jiyeon disappeared along with her chatty friends. I’m assuming they are hanging out a bit far from where we’re sitting. Maybe among the bookshelves where their laughter can be concealed since, like I said, they are chatty.

         I rub my eyes because of the sleepiness. The only people who sit with me on this table are Im Yoona, the studious and perfect looking girl whom everyone adores, and Son Naeun, the new girl who’s actually not as innocent as she looks behinds those thick frames. I must’ve not mentioned her at all! She came a few weeks after Soohyun enrolled. Honestly, I was wondering why all the new students come to our class.

        My neck is hurt because I was looking down at my book for a long time. I’ve been reading this history book for the past hour but I don’t really remember what I read.

        Someone knocks on the table the girls and I are sitting at. Only me and Naeun look up. Yoona…she seems too caught up with the non-fiction book she’s reading. I just stare at Soohyun who is staring back at me. Naeun rather look flustered.

         I can relate to her. When I first saw him this close, I was flustered by his looks too. A smile twitch on my face as I recall the memory.

          Poor Naeun, going to the same phase I was in.

       “Hello~” he says, even giving Naeun a glance. Gosh, Kim Soohyun. Have mercy on that poor girl!

              Son Naeun quickly looks down at her book again. There she goes again. Acting all innocent. Trust me, last time I went to Dajung’s house, she was there also. She didn’t look like this at all. She looked like a different person, much cockier. She didn’t even acknowledge me!

          “Can I sit here? “he asks after he knocks on the table again. I swear if he keeps doing that, Yoona-nim is going to get angry, although no one ever saw her got mad because she’s an ‘angel’ as everyone calls her.

        Steadying my heart beat at how perfect this human being is, I nod, pulling the chair a bit indicating he can sit there beside me. Naeun looks even more flustered since he’s sitting in front of her.

        “Why are you sitting here though? “ I ask quietly. Naeun is looking down at her book but I can tell she’s listening. Pfft.

         He leans in a bit and says “Why not? “

         I don’t get his meaning so I look at him, confused. He lightly chuckles and leans in again. “ I thought I look weird sitting on that big table alone” he says.

         I pulled away and stare at him. “Right. I forgot you don’t have any friends” I say, rather bluntly. He slightly glares at me. I don’t know why I find it funny. He dismisses it and opens up his thin blue book. After turning a few pages, he pushes it to me.

       Again, I look at him with lifted eyebrows.

     “I heard you’re good in Maths?” he asks.

      If I’m drinking right now, I would’ve spit it onto his face. When the hell I’m good in that subject? Although Mr Yang repeats so many times that I can be the best if I’m not lazy, it’s just too much pressure.

     “You look…shocked” he says, examining my face. I laugh.

      Yoona quickly turn her head to me with sharp eyes but still smiling sweetly. Everyone knows it means “Be quiet…”

      I sheepishly smile at her and lower down my voice even more. I turn back at him, “Are you kidding me?” I ask.

     With big eyes, he shakes his head. “No, why?”

      “I’m the worst in Maths “

      “But Mr Yang said you- “

      I quickly snap. “Don’t believe what that old man says. He just likes making me miserable” I hissed.

     Someone knocked my head with light thing from the back . “Ouch!” I freak and turn angrily.

      Mr Yang is standing with a smug look, holding his books with his right hand on his shoulder. “Who’s old man, Suzy-noona? “ he says.

      Soohyun’s face shows “Hm, noona?” with a big question mark.

       I smile sheepishly again because I got caught red-handed. Who knew he’s going to sneak behind my back? Is he even a teacher? He’s scary! He calls me noona occasionally, it’s embarrassing! He said it’s because I always talk more mature than him and it feels like I’m older than him.

      How could he say that to a teenage girl like me who has self-esteem problems?

        “Sorry, seongsaengnim…” I said with a force smile.

       I thought his left hand was empty but I was wrong. He pushes my forehead with a marker pen this time whilst saying “Aigoo, Suzy ah!”

       Soohyun laughs while Naeun is giving me dirty looks quietly. Yoona…well, she’s still doing her thing.

        “If you keep saying this to anyone, they might really think I’m an old man! I’m only 27 okay?” Mr Yang says, giving Soohyun and I looks before he leaves. I burst out laughing after he left which earn me an annoyed glare from Naeun and several others.

       I guess Yoona thought it’s best to ignore me since she didn’t give me any warnings.

      The free periods are finally over. I don’t like going in classes but this free periods are getting too much, it’s exhausting. I kinda miss doing homeworks.

      I know I’m gonna regret saying it soon.

       We walk out of the library door and finally the noisy hallway starts filling in our ears. Now I can differentiate. The library was way to quite! Or maybe the hallway is just too loud.

      We’re finally going back home now. Sleep is the first thing that came into my mind. Plus, tomorrow is Friday!

      “Suzy! “ Soohyun calls me from behind.

      I forgot we walked together just now. Well, just out of the library.

     I  stop and turn sideways. He runs to me and give me his phone. I look at him.

     “Give me your number. “

     I look at him, weird.

      He’s turning red. It’s obvious from his ears.

      Heol~is he…shy?

      “For emergencies “ he added coolly. I was going to and ask “Examples “ but decided against it because I want to go home quickly.

      I take it and quickly dial my phone number. My phone in my blazer pocket rings and I grin at him. “There” I say and leave.

 

     I  get down the first stop because I need to stop by groceries store. I need to fetch some medicines because I do feel my period is coming.

     “Gosh , why you gotta ruin my weekend “ I thought to myself. Cramps are pain in the asses!

      I quickly bought it and got out. I begin walking to my house because it’s near from here.

      “Hey, living size doll !” a familiar voice shouts. I swiftly turn to see where the voice came from.

       Taecyeon is standing a few meters from me. His thin scarf around his neck and a grin playing on his face. A surge of warmness overwhelms me. He jogs towards me and still smiling at me with that signature grin.

      I have no idea how long I was looking but I cough and look somewhere else. He looks at me, the smile isn’t changing. “Hi, Taecyeon” I muttered softly.

       “There you go again with that doll face of yours. Anyone passing you might think you’re an actual doll! “ he says, teasing me.

       He will never stop calling me doll ever since forever. Our English teacher called me that during my presentation because I was too stiff and expressionless.

      He reaches out and ruffles my hair, resulting in my bangs not being in place. I blow my hair and smooth them out. Then, I glare at him. “Stop calling me that. It’s so old” I say.

     He says nothing but grins. I think he loves seeing me get annoyed.

       I’m not truly annoyed though. I like that he’s giving his attention to me. He doesn’t do that often now.

      “Plus, I’m not that expressionless anymore, okay?” I added, slightly pouting of the memory.

      “You often do that face to me” he says.

        Well, that’s because I’m trying to conceal my feelings! Boys will NEVER understand.

     I decide to dismiss that and turn on my heels to leave. Did I forget that I actually wanted to go straight to sleep after this?

        Taecyeon runs and catch up to me. I let him be. It’s nice to walk home with a friend once in a while.

      Friend.

      I quietly sigh at the thought.

     “So why all of a sudden you’re walking home with me?” I ask.

       Taecyeon lives in different neighbourhood than mine. Once we get to the Fried Chicken house by the streets, he’ll turn to the left and I’ll turn to the right.

      “ To be honest with you ..” he started. I listen and we keep walking.

      “I was gonna say that I saw you came out of the grocery store and decided to hang out with you” he says.

     I continue listening.

     “But then I would be lying “ he says.

     I turn to look at him at his statement, not quite getting what he said.

    He looks back at me and smile genuinely.

       “I actually was already in the bus when it’s in front of the school and you got on it too but I was sitting at the far back so you didn’t notice me. I was looking at your beautiful long hair and thought of continue staring at it until you suddenly get off on the first stop. I didn’t know why but I got up too. And here I am with you” he says.

       I feel like I stopped breathing. Does he even know what he’s doing to me?

     He suddenly chuckles. “I sounded creepy ,didn’t I?” he says.

      I laugh too to brush away my shyness. “Yeah, you did. “

       “Maybe because I missed you” he suddenly says, taking my breath away once again.

      “Shouldn’t you be with Jiyeon right now?”

       Call me stupid, but I was too nervous, I had to bring Jiyeon’s name into the conversation. If I freak out too much, I’ll be busted for having feelings for my friend’s boyfriend.

       He stop walking. I notice it and stop too.

       “We broke up” he says.

        I slightly gasp, my mouth slightly opens. Not being sarcastic though, I did feel genuinely surprised.

        “Why? You were only going out for 3 weeks?” I say, curious.

       I heard him sigh. “She doesn’t understand me and she always want things go her way. I couldn’t stand it so I broke it off with her “ he says.

      My eyes are slightly open, surprised.

      “You mean, YOU broke up with her?” I ask, my voice slightly higher than I wanted to.

     He nods.

     I stay mummed.

     “Well…she must’ve been very angry” I say, quietly, not trying to hurt his feelings. I know Jiyeon and her tantrums. She’ll lose her temper at the slightest thing.

      He chuckles a bit. “Well, her face was chilly red when I told her” he says, my mind immediately imagining it.

      I slightly laugh as well. We continue walking until we reach the Fried Chicken house. “Thanks for walking with me. I feel less lonely” I say, slightly embarrassed but of course I tried my best to not show it by not looking at him in the eyes.

       He smiles. “Thanks for listening to me although I literally just broke your best friend’s heart” he replies. I roll my eyes at his statement resulting in him laughing heartily. It’s a nice view and atmosphere. I feel so happy and my heart is at its full content.

       “Goodbye doll” he says, reaching out and my head. This time, I let him. It feels warm. He waves and never stop smiling as he turns , walking to the other side to his way home.

      I stare at him as he walks farther and farther.

      “Gosh, you do know how to make a girl falls hard “ I say to myself whilst smiling and turn around to my own way home.

      

 

 

            Ever since Jiyeon and Taecyeon broke up, she never shows up to school. It’s been a week and a half. She’s skipping schools a lot, she could be expelled if she’s a normal student. But fortunately, her dad is the main funder of this school so of course she wouldn’t get any punishment for it.

         I walk out of my class to head to the girl’s bathroom. I bump into IU in the hallway. Eunjung was there too. “Yah, is Jiyeon really not coming to school? It’s been two weeks. Don’t you think that’s too extreme?” IU asks. She usually doesn’t fuss much because she doesn’t like showing that she cares about her other friends. But maybe it was also because she thought Jiyeon isn’t setting a good example for other students by being unfair. She’s only doing it because she’s the school’s main funder’s daughter. That’s not right.

         “Is it that bad to skip school over a boy? “ Eunjung speaks up.

         I just awkwardly stare at her.

         “ I mean, she’s missing her studies a lot! This is the time where Teachers will announce mock tests! “ Eunjung says, worriedly. “I even called her, but she said she want some time alone. But isn’t she taking too much time already?” she rambles. IU and I exchange glances. We do think Eunjung is overreacting a bit but it’s her nature to fuss like a mother so we just listen.

        "Why don’t you ask her?” she suddenly asks. I’m focusing on her right now and point at myself. “Me?” She holds my shoulders happily “Yes, you! You know she listens to you!” I don’t reply and look over at IU for help but she’s ignoring me right now. Meanie.

       “Please. It’s bad if she miss her studies. You don’t want her to fail again do you?” Eunjung persuades me. I sigh and say “Fine, I’ll stop by her house later”

 

 

        I’m in front of her house now. I still don’t think if I should talk to her. I’m not good at giving advices. I don’t know why Eunjung said she listens to me.

       I ring the doorbell and the maid opens it. She smiles at me because she’s familiar with me and let me in. I go straight to the stairs and knock on Jiyeon’s door. No one is replying, I decide to just go in. Jiyeon is lying on her stomach on her bed, reading a magazine with other things like laptop, headphones and speakers sprawled on the bed sheet.

      “Hi” I awkwardly say.

      She quickly sit up when she saw me. Her face isn’t quite pleasant. “What are you doing here?”

      She is NOT pleasant.

      “You seem healthy. Why didn’t you go to school” I straight away ask. She relaxes and lie back on the mattress. “I just don’t feel like going” she says, her eyes going through the magazines pages.

       “Because?” I ask but she doesn’t reply. I sigh.

        “You know what? Maybe you should just let things go.” I say.

        She looks away from the magazine and is actually paying attention to me. I scoot closer to her. “You’re pretty and friendly. You can find another guy “ I say, just like how I remember from an English movie I watched a week ago.

       She stays quiet. “You can’t run from it forever” I say again, trying to get her response.

      Finally, she nod with a gloomy face.

       “ Promise me you’ll come tomorrow? Eunjung and IU are worried about you they won’t stop bugging me” I say, jokingly. She laughs. “Even IU?” she says and I nod. We both break into laughter.

      “Fine, I’ll go tomorrow”

 

 

 

       She does come to school as she promised. IU just greeted her ‘welcome back’ blankly while Eunjung hug her like she had been gone for a year. She told them she caught a flu which is a lie of course but Eunjung bought it. As usual, once the bell rings, we separated to our classes.

      The normal Park Jiyeon is back. She’s chatting with the other girls , leaving me bore to death. I scribble on my notebook random things while waiting for the Teacher.

     Taecyeon walks in the room and looks at me. I glance at him before focusing back on my notebook. He gave a knowing look over at Jiyeon because I bet he’s thought of Jiyeon’s absence too. Mainly because he knew it was because of him.

      He walks towards my table but I thought he would just walk pass by me.

      But he didn’t JUST walk pass by me. He ruffles my hair while smiling to himself, in front of Jiyeon and her group of gossipers. I slightly gasp and look at him sideways. I didn’t dare to turn around in case Jiyeon is watching me.

      I don’t know why but I can feel the expression that she has on right now, isn’t pleasant.

       Mrs Jung walks in at the moment and everyone stands up. I manage to turn a bit to look at her and saw both her and Jonghyun are looking at me coldly.

 

A/N: I decided to put any guests pics on the cover photo.  And I edited the whole chapter. I'm satisfied with this one. Hope you enjoy. Sorry if there's still mistakes. I'm no grammar pro.