Prom

I Still Love You

 

     [ Can’t I be your date? You don’t have one right? ]

I stop putting on my earrings to reply to Ji Soo’s message.

[ No need . You’ll just attract more attention ]

[ That’s my intention >:) ]

I roll my eyes. I finish putting on both of my earrings and stand up from my chair.

I look at myself in the mirror. I love this dress and how it look on me. I feel beautiful. My hair is in loose curls and I brush it out to make it look wavy and natural. I put on my white heels with thin straps. I’m sure I’m going to get blisters at the end of the night but the heels are too pretty for me to think further.

I turn around in front of the mirror, checking myself. I brought a small purse with me just to put my lip balm and phone and my important cards.

“ UNNIE!!!!!!! “ Sulli screams from downstairs. I quickly ran to the door and open it. “ What’s wrong?! “ I yelled back at her.

 “ WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING HERE!? “ she yelled again.

Aish “ I muttered. I walked down the stairs with my heels carefully. As I approach Sulli who’s standing in front of the door with a broom up as her defense, I speak “ What is it? “ I asked and looked at the door to see a grinning Ji Soo with his tuxedo on.

   I jumped and my jaw dropped as I back away near my sister. “ What are you doing here!?!?! “ I asked.

   “ Oh come on. I’m taking you to prom , of course “ he smiled. He winked at Sulli and reach out to pat her head , only to get hit by the broom. “ Ow! “ he winced and glared at her.

   “ Why is he here, Unnie? Don’t tell me you’re … dating him ?” she looked at me with horror.

   I widened my eyes and shook my head vigorously. “ Of course not! Are you crazy?! “ I said, defensively. I realized what I just said might hurt Ji Soo so I glance at him apologetically. He grins, assuring me. Then, he pulls me to his side.

“ We’re friends. Don’t tell me you still hate me, cutie ? “ he said to Sulli.

I tried wriggling away from him, but he holds me in place.

Sulli looks at me again with horror “ HOW?! “ she asked. I shrug and gives her a hint that I’ll explain later. She shook her head and glare at Ji Soo. “ If you kidnap my sister and dump her body into the river, I’ll come and get you “ she growled.

  Ji Soo laughs heartily, finding her cute. “ Aigoo. I get it “ He says. When Sulli put her guard down, he reaches out and pats her in the head. She flinched and holds up the broomstick again.

  Again he laughs and wave a goodbye at her.

  Surprisingly, the night was quite windy and I didn’t even thought of bringing a jacket. Stupid.

   Ji Soo seems to sense the atmosphere and grins to himself. “ Aigoo, so I have to do this? “ he said and starts to stretch his hands to take his jacket off. I blush and back away from him. “ No! You don’t have to! “ I said and hurries to his motorbike.

  “ I can go with Jiyeon , you know. She’ll come with a car “ I replied. I don’t want to get on a bike with a skirt, although that’s how I ride it with him the other day. This skirt is much lighter than my school skirt, so I’m sure it’s going to be blown by the wind if I ride it.

   He still took off his jacket and approaches me. I back away slowly, a bit hard because I’m wearing heels and when I almost fell he pulls me to him. My heart was beating loudly from nervousness. Then, he wrapped his blazer around my waist. “ There. Now it won’t get blown “ he said and walks over to his bike.

  I stood there and blink. “ But it’ll get wrinkled. “

  He chuckles. “ Then I don’t have to wear it. I can just have my shirt on “ he said.

  “ You’re going to make people misunderstand if you come with me” I said, quietly. I’ve been getting angry glares at school yesterday and it was so uncomfortable.

   “ That’s my intention, too “ he laughs and I slap his back.

   “ Let’s go “ he said , already putting on his helmet.

   I blow some air to my hair. “ And now, this going to ruin my hair “ I sigh.

   He took the helmet from me and put it on me carefully. I laugh “ It’s still going to mess up when I take it off “ I explain. He opens his mouth “ Oh… “

   “ Aish, forget it” I said. I pull out my phone and text Jiyeon that I’ll go first.

 

 

When we got there, the music and lights can already be seen from outside. There’s a lot of people coming in and out of the hall already. I breathe nervously because Ji Soo is with me. I hate when people avert their attentions on me.

   “ Can’t you go in after I me? “ I suddenly suggest. He puckers his lips in thought and said “ NO “

   “ Why should I go in with you? ! “ I said, with exasperation. “ Because I’m your friend, and you have to guide me. I can get lost in your school “

  “ That’s stupid, Ji Soo “

  “ I’m stupid for you “ he blurts and grins. I coughed and turn away from him. “ Fine. But be quick. Don’t you dare to do a fashion runway in the middle of the crowd later “ I warn and he nods with a sly smirk.

 

   The insides of the hall is fantastic. There’s purple and pink lights everywhere and many, many balloons. I look around the hall and felt proud I arranged the seats.

Well, with Soohyun’s help, of course.

I suddenly thought of him. I sigh. I wonder if he comes today?

“ Yo “ Ji Soo calls from behind me. I was startled when I turn to see him so close. I quickly back away, a  habit I have around him. I glance around and see he’s already attracting attention.

  He looks around too and smiles to them.

  “ Well, enjoy your time here “ I said before dashing away from him to escape.

My phone rings and I pick it up. “ Jieun ah! Where are you? “ I ask. IU said she’ll be here in time for prom but just now she was stuck in traffic. I hope she can make it though. I miss her badly.

  “ Look behind you “ she said and I turn.

   She throws her arms at me and I was taken aback by it. “ Yah! “ I yelled to her and we hug while jumping happily.

“ Wow, look at you girl. You’re beautiful! “ she said as she eyes me up and down.

I grin at her and flip my hair jokingly. She slaps me. She doesn’t look bad herself. In fact, she’s stunning even with a simple outfit. She did nothing to her hair, keeping it straight. She wore a lilac satin dress which suits her small figure nicely and a small necklace around her neck. Her shoes is the same as mine, only it’s purple.

  I bump my foot with her and smiled “ Aye! Twins “

   She laughs in return. “ We’re gonna get blisters tonight “she said and we both laughed.

  “ I heard people were saying you came here with Ji Soo!? Is it true? “ she asked and look around. I sighed “ Yeah “ and laughed awkwardly.

  “ Well? Where is he? “ she asked.

  “ I left him all by himself “ I said, guiltily. “ Eh? Why? “

  “ He attracts attention “ I replied, half lying. Of course, that’s not the only reason. I just felt weird to spend time with him after what happened with Soohyun although I shouldn’t be affected by what he said. I sigh again.

  “ Well, it’s not his fault “ IU replied and bump our shoulders suggestively. I slap her back and glare at her.

  “ So where’s this Ji Soo guy? “ she asks.

“ Suzy! “ three voices suddenly call me and we both turn to our side to see both Ji Soo, Jiyeon and Jonghyun staring at me. And behind Jonghyun is Kim Soohyun, staring at me with a look that I can’t bear.

 

 

    Jiyeon has hanging open. “ You came with him? “ she asked, unbelievably, while looking at Ji Soo cautiously.

       I look from Ji Soo, Jiyeon to Jonghyun and to Soohyun before going back to Jiyeon again. “ Erm.. yeah “

    Jiyeon scoffs unbelievably, but it wasn’t in a bad way. “ Heol~ daebak “ she mutters. She stares at Ji Soo in awe. IU eyed him from head to toe and whispered to me “ Not bad “

   I nudge her rib, making her yelp.

    Ji Soo raised his eyebrows at me. I let out a sigh and begin to speak “ Ji Soo, let’s talk for a moment “ I said, sounding stern. All my friends’ eyes are on me and I walk pass all of them to pull Ji Soo with me.

    “ Okay, cupcake. What’s up ?” he said , helplessly.

    I look up to him. Before I speak, I let out another sigh. “ I’m sorry to say this but.. “ I begin and glance at his expression. He raises his eyebrows at me, asking me to continue.

    “ I’m here to hang out with my friends. So, I hope you won’t mind if.. I don’t stick around with you here. You’re good at hanging out with people. You can survive “ I said. He stayed quiet.

    My stomach started to churn, feeling down if I actually upset him, a thought that would never occurred to me if it’s a week before today.

    Then, he chuckles. It’s not bitter, it’s not amused either.

    “ I was selfish. I told myself, until you tell me that yourself, I won’t stop bugging you “ he confessed. Then, he sighs. He holds up his hand and gently put it on my head. “ Have fun with your friends. Sorry for burdening you “ he said.

   My stomach won’t stop churning. I don’t like this feeling. “ I’m sorry “ I said naturally. He chuckles again. “ Nevermind .. “ he said and walked off.

   When I was left alone, I rub my head. What did I even got myself into?

  

When I get back to my friends, Jiyeon, Eunjung and IU are seated while Jonghyun and Soohyun are leaning against the wall. Their eyes were all on me. “ So? What did you talk about? “ Jiyeon asks. I shook my head. “ Nothing big “ I simply replied.

   “ I can’t believe I missed all the fun! “ Eunjung said, upset. Jiyeon laughs.

  “ There comes your Hiro “ IU said as we all see Hiro is approaching our table. Eunjung’s face immediately lit up and she look at us “ Sorry guys, my prince has arrived “ she said, smiling widely. We all told her “ Have fun “ and she made her leave.

     Jiyeon looks at all of us before blowing some air “ Well, if you guys aren’t dancing, I’m going to “ she said and got up. She waves at me before leaving. I look at IU and she at me. “ I’ll take food for both of us “ I said to her and she nods.

   The atmosphere at the table felt tense, maybe because I haven’t recovered after what happened. It was nothing but I don’t know why it got an effect on me.

  “ You okay? “ Soohyun suddenly appeared next to me. I jumped a bit from surprise. I look up to my side and nod at him “ Yeah “ I said.

  Then, silence engulfed again. I wonder when did it get awkward between me and him.

   Oh right, when he judged my decisions. I sigh desperately.

  “ Hey,listen – “  he speaks and I turn to him.

“ Suzy “ I turn to my back to see Jonghyun in front of both of us.  I just stare at him. My mind is still travelling to Soohyun’s words. What did he wanted to say ?

   “ Suzy “ Jonghyun called me again. “ Hm? “ I snapped into reality. “ Why? “ I ask.

   “ Let’s dance with me “ he said. Again, I just stare at him. Slowly registering his words.

   But.. Soohyun wanted to say something.. I thought.

  I look up to Soohyun again, studying his face. He suddenly look expressionless, like he had nothing , really, to say to me. Very well then.

Jonghyun holds out her hand to me. And I took it. 

 

 

A/N: 

Writing is hard ... ㅡㅡ