Choose

I Still Love You
 

Soohyun

 

We’re gathered in the school hall. I was already annoyed that we have to crowd in here , then I see a group of girls were eyeing me and I know they are talking about me. Do I sound cocky? But it’s true and I feel uncomfortable. At least, if you wanna stare and talk about me, don’t be too obvious. It’s almost as if they want me to know they’re looking at me. Ugh.

Our class president, Park Bogum, stood facing us . Most of my girl classmates are all gathered at the front, near him –including Jiyeon. He’s a popular dude, indeed. He’s super friendly and he just transferred to this school this starting school year.

So unlike me. I thought.

I was so quiet and unfriendly. I mentally laugh at myself. I feel pathetic.

“ We’re doing a musical” Bogum said and I finally make an effort to actually pay attention to what he was saying.

Musical ? What?

I can’t do musical! Oh no. Now I just need to pray that I’m not selected. Hopefully some people volunteer.

I look around and the others are scowling too. I thought I was the only one who didn’t like the idea. Now, it’ll be a tough competition since no one seems interested.

 “Our grade will present a musical for the upcoming school festival and I hope you guys give cooperation and get along well with the other classes. We have a meeting with the other classes after this.  That’s all” Park Bogum explains. He was so positive , he was encouraging  us that it’ll be fun and all but everyone has sour faces. Even his fangirls were not feeling it.

I heard the group of girls, who were staring at me, call on Jiyeon. Jiyeon approach them. “ Jiyeon, they must pick you, right? I mean, you can sing” one of the girls say eagerly. I glance at Jiyeon. She was giggling shyly while waving his hand dismissively.

“ I’m not that good “ she replied. The girl insist “ At least you can hold a note. I sound like a frog choking “. The girls laugh including me (thank goodness they didn’t notice).

In my current class, there are more girls than boys so I don’t really have friends. Even the guys are on their own while the girls are always in groups.

I wonder how Suzy is doing in her class. Eventhough all she always did was sleep in class, it didn’t feel as lonely as right now.

I sigh. How I wish I could go back to last school year. This year is so boring.

 

Park Bogum finished meeting with other class presidents and he came back to us and told us to move together with the others to sit together.

The class presidents of all four classes stood facing us. All of us are sitting on the floor while they tell us all instructions and plans for the performance. I tap my fingers on the cold floor.

I noticed Mr. Yang at the other end of the hall. He was talking to someone and was smiling like an idiot. I believe it’s where Suzy’s class sit. I lean back a bit and notice a familiar head and  long hair. Mr. Yang was really talking to Suzy. They’ve always been close.

Another teacher calls up on Mr. Yang and he had to leave. Suzy looks back to the front and I can finally see her face. I automatically smile.

I guess I was looking at her for too long because she seems to sense it. She turns and immediately our eyes lock. My eyeballs shake because I was surprised she caught me looking. We were sitting so far apart too. It’s embarrassing.

So  I smile at her. She looks weirded out but she laughs anyway. I feel my heart about to burst as I chuckle quietly too.

 

 

“ We’re going to have four main singers. Two guys, two girls “ Park Bogum said. Ryu Junyeol, class 2’s president nods. He’s the class president of IU’s class.

He looks at them and points “ Jonghyun, IU, get up. “ he said while smirking playfully. Jonghyun stood up excitedly while IU seems displeased about it but Jonghyun pulls her up anyway. Then, Junyeol pats her back with a smile.

 I look over to Suzy’s side and she looked curious too as she jerks her head up to see. Then, she was laughing along. She’s so pretty. I thought and mentally slap myself. It’s not the time to be drooling.

Jonghyun drags IU with her as they stand along the class presidents. He looks around and his face lit up when he spotted Suzy. He waves at her excitedly and Suzy was laughing her head off too.

I chuckle as I look at them. They both look silly and IU probably think the same as she tugs down Jonghyun’s hand as if telling him to stand still.

Kim Woobin, class 3’s president, was nodding as Bogum told him something. Then, he called on loudly to one of his classmates. His grin was wide. “ Wooyoung!” he called and the guy stood up. I remember him. He was always with Taecyeon last year. Wooyoung high fived with his friends, including Taecyeon who was there, and ran to the front, hugging Kim Woobin. Woobin pushed him away jokingly as their classmates roar in laughter. I guess he talked to him already to get him in the team.

Woobin then looks over at Junyeol , Bogum and Jung Jinyoung (class 4’s president) as they ponder on who to pick for the girl part.

 

IU suddenly put her hands up “ Woobin ah! Pick Suzy. She can sing!” she said eagerly. It’s the first time I see IU so active. Aside from that, Suzy can sing? I mean, I always thought her voice is so pretty but I never really hear her sing. The thought also never really crossed my mind. I look over at Jiyeon , she didn’t look surprised. I guess she knows too.  

“ Okay. Give it up to the beautiful Suzy! “ Ryu Junyeol suddenly call out. Suzy blushed red as her classmates around her nudge her to stand up. Woobin slap Junyeol’s back as they laugh along. Bogum and Jinyoung were shaking their head although they were laughing too.

Suzy comes up to the front, standing next to Wooyoung.

 

 

Suzy

 

I was so embarrassed when they call out my name like that so I hurried to the front.

“ Whoa , you can sing?!” Jonghyun asks as I got to the front. I just glance at IU. “ A bit “ I said quietly. Jonghyun laughs excitedly. “ This is great! We’re together again” he said excitedly.

“ You’re so loud “ Wooyoung suddenly spoke. Then I realized we were conversing with him in the middle. I bet he was uncomfortable and annoyed.

Bogum and Jinyoung approach me and Wooyoung and Bogum begins to jot down our names on a sheet of paper. After that they went back to Junyeol and Woobin.

While I was standing, I spot Soohyun among the crowd. He looked bored. Then, I noticed Jiyeon near him and she wasn’t looking to the front. She was looking down, her head’s covering her face. Then I realized. Jiyeon loves to sing.

In middle school, she always participated in school musicals and anything that is related to performing on stage. I’m sure anyone can just volunteer. Why didn’t she?

 

 

Soohyun

 

Now that they’ve chosen the singers, can’t they just let us go now. My is starting to hurt sitting on the floor for too long.

“I thought they surely was to pick Jiyeon first “

“Seems that we’re wrong “

“ Yeah, they already chose the singers “

“ Jiyeon, I feel bad for you”

I heard the girls were murmuring. I look over to Jiyeon who was already looking down. Those girls are not helping at all. They’re just making her feel worse.

Jiyeon looks up at them and forced a smile. She looks clearly disappointed. I feel so bad for her.

“ Aren’t IU and Suzy your best friends? Why aren’t they saying anything for you? “ the girls keep on pestering. Jiyeon keeps having that forced smile but she didn’t say anything. As the girls keep gossiping, they moved closer to each other and push Jiyeon bit by bit since she’s in the middle.

Jiyeon looks down as she holds her head. She’s now right beside me although there’s a clear distance between us.

“ You okay?” I ask.

She looks up at me and smile weakly. She looks down again and holds her head.

“ I just feel.. really..really…embarrassed “ she said. She really looked like she wants to hide herself somewhere. Probably because the girls were hyping that she would certainly get picked. If it was me, I would feel disappointed too.

I didn’t know what was I even doing and what made me do it. I suddenly raise my hand. Bogum noticed me.  “ Soohyun? Yes?” he kindly points towards me. Suddenly, some of the students attentions are on me.

“ Don’t you think having two couples performing is unbalanced ? “ I voiced out. That caught people’s attention. The other class reps, Woobin and Junyeol who were chatting, and Jinyoung who was jotting down things while talking to his classmates, also turn their attention on me.

Jiyeon looks up and nudge me “ Yah, what are you doing?”  she said but I ignored her.

“ What do you mean? “ Bogum asks.

“ I feel like if it’s just two pair singing , it’s kinda boring since it shifts right back to back. I think you should add another couple to make it balance “ I suggested. Bogum nods and look at the other reps and they just shrug.

“ Won’t hurt to add in another couple “ Junyeol said as Woobin nods.

“ Okay, change of plans. We need two more singers. Anyone up for it? “ Woobin claps and look at all of us for any volunteers.

Jiyeon stayed quiet beside me. I never really have seen Jiyeon being shy and not confident so I decided to step in for her.

I wrap my hand around her wrist making her jolt in shock as she looks at me. Then, I raise her hand up with mine as if I’m crowning her victory like in matches.

 

“ Jiyeon, you want to join? “ Bogum asks her kindly. “ Uhh “ she stutters but then Woobin claps. “ Yes! Park Jiyeon. You should join “ he said, welcoming her.

I could see happiness surge Jiyeon’s face as her expressions lit up as she got in the team. I unknowingly smile.

“ You’re in too, man” Woobin suddenly said.

I was dumbfounded. “ Me? “ I ask.

“ Yeah, you both raise your hands “ he said flatly.

“ No, I was just- “ I tried to clarify but he just brush it off. “ You’re in, you’re in “

Jiyeon was cheering and laughing at me for getting myself in without realizing.

She clutches on my arm “ We’re in! We’re in! “ she said excitedly. Our classmates cheer for us as they laugh along.

I guess I have to sing too then. I sigh. I have such a bad luck.

“ Okay, so we picked the singers already. For other parts, please move along to Lee Hyeri . She will explain and give you parts on what you have to do for the festival “ Bogum said and dismissed us. Everyone obeyed and moved.

Jiyeon and I walk towards the other singers. All familiar faces except Wooyoung. What a great coincidence.

“ Wow. I just realized we pick all pretty faces. What a beautiful line up!” Kim Woobin said as he approached us and we stand in a circle.

“ You guys will be singing in partners and I want Jonghyun and IU to partner up together as you guys are the stronger vocalists. “ Jinyoung said and we nod.

He looks at us, the remaining four.

“ Soohyun and Suzy? “ he suggested.

“ You guys look good together so how about you two partner up? “ Jinyoung asks us, looking back to back to me and Suzy. I saw Suzy blush when he said we look good together. I admit I feel happy. I feel like jumping and saying thanks to Jinyoung. But that’s only the crazy side of me. Right now, I gotta stay calm.

 

 

Suzy

 

I blush so hard when Jinyoung said Soohyun and I look good together. He waits for our opinion.

I glance over at Soohyun and I saw Jiyeon stiffened. Does Jiyeon wants to partner up with Soohyun? She did look so down just now that she wasn’t chosen immediately and was so happy when Soohyun stepped in for her, which got me super surprised.

Even Jonghyun and IU were surprised when he stepped in suddenly. It’s so unlike him.

I would be over the moon if I could partner up with Soohyun . We became so distant since the holidays and more distant since we’re not in the same class. I want to spend more time with him without it being too obvious that I like him.

 I also have not made up with Jiyeon yet after our cold argument at the restaurant.

I sigh.

“ Is it okay with you? If you feel uncomfortable, you can stick with your classmate” Jinyoung said, there’s worry in his voice because I was quiet for so long.

I almost laugh. If only he knows how close I am to Soohyun than I am with Wooyoung although we’re classmates and Soohyun is not my current classmate.

I feel Jiyeon’s eyes on me as if waiting for my answer. I can’t simply ignore the look on her face right now. I could, but I won’t. Because I’m just that type of person.

I bit my lip and look away from them.

“ I’ll stay with my classmate “ I said. Jinyoung looks disappointed.  I guess he really wants me to partner up with Soohyun but Jiyeon looks relieved and shot me a thankful look.

I feel my heart sank when Soohyun looks hurt and confused although he didn’t show it.

“ Okay, settled then. Your partners is your classmates” Jinyoung said as he keeps jotting down on his book. Then, he dismissed us.

Jiyeon then approached me. “ See you later “ she said sweetly as she hugs my arm. I replied her with a smile. I can’t regret it now. I already made the decision. It’s only a school musical for the school festival anyways. It’s not that big and important.

I feel sick down to my stomach. Ugh, why did they ask me to make the decision anyway? It’s just so burdensome.

 

I saw Soohyun as I got out of the school building. He was walking to his car. “ Kim Soohyun!” I call out to him. Although it’s a bit far, I’m sure he can hear me but he just ignores me and get in his car. He don’t spare a glance at me as he drive pass me.

I was dumbfounded. Was he offended that I chose Wooyoung over him?

Oh gosh. Now I feel so guilty, I don’t know what to do.

I just couldn’t ignore the look on Jiyeon’s face. She looks so hopeful. I couldn’t just destroy it. My heart won’t allow it.

“ I can’t believe you’re THIS stupid “ IU came from behind me. She glares at me as she stops beside me.

“Huh?”

“ Why do you make a decision that is opposite to what you want? “ she said, as if slapping me with her words.

I sigh and look up at the blue sky. “ Why do you always point out what I don’t want to reveal? “ I said and walk away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~

Hey guys. i wanted to keep writing until its 5k words but i just couldnt be patient huhu cuz i feel like i wrote long enough but its only a bit more than 2.5k words -_- drop some comments pls xoxo

~~~~~

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.