Avoiding

I Still Love You

Chapter 23

 

The next day, I walked to school with so much on my mind. I didn’t even realize when but I already arrived at school. I resumed walking to class without stopping at my locker.

Someone slap my back, making me startled. I let out a small scream.

I turned to see Jonghyun, his wide eyes staring back at me. He doesn’t look like he feels guilty. I blew my bangs, regaining my patience. “ Are you okay?” he asked.

I glared at him. “ You think? “

“ Huh? “ he replied.

“ Can’t you greet me nicely?” I said harshly and walked away.

“ Someone’s in a bad mood!” he said loudly. I ignored and entered the class.

I was startled as I bumped in Soohyun’s back as I abruptly made a turn into the classroom. He was startled as well as he looked down at a much shorter me.

“ Oh hey” he greeted. I mumbled a response and walked to my seat without looking back at him. I could feel he was feeling confused about it but he got to his seat normally and didn’t talk to me further until the first period starts.

 

Once the bell rings, I got up quickly with my wallet in hand and left. I don’t want to face Soohyun nor talk to him just yet until I recollect my feelings.

I cannot fall for him. I had enough falling in love with your own friend.

Jonghyun seems to catch up on me. He swung his arm over my shoulder, almost strangling me. I was startled again and almost lost my temper but when I saw Soohyun glancing at me awkwardly from beside Jonghyun, I forgot about it as I looked to the front quickly.

“ Are you on your period?” Jonghyun said, coming close to my face much to my discomfort. I made an irritated face and replied “No “

“ Why are you so grumpy? “

“ Because you keep bothering me! “ I said and pushed his arm away. I glared at him again and walked away from the two of them quickly.

“ Usually she’s fine with it” Jonghyun said.

 

I reached our usual table at lunch with IU and Eunjung. Jiyeon is nowhere to be seen as usual. But it’s the least of my worries.

Just when I lifted my chopsticks to eat, a tray of food is put in front of me. A smiling Jonghyun sat in front of me and grinned at others. I shook my head and reached my chopsticks to pick up my rice when another person sat beside me.

My heart did a small jump when Soohyun gave me a small smile and began eating. I looked away quickly and quickly ate a mouthful of rice. I didn’t even swallow, I pushed it down my throat which ended up in me coughing. I hit my chest multiple times as I coughed.

Jonghyun and Soohyun both held up their water for me but I quickly took Jonghyun’s and gulped it down.

“ Yah,eat slowly. “ he said. I nodded as the cough subdued.

IU nudged me from my side and raised her eyebrows, noticing my weird attitude. I assured her it was nothing and resumed my lunch.

I noticed Soohyun was staring at me weirdly for quite  a while before resuming his lunch,too.

 

We walked back to class together. I walked in front of Soohyun because I couldn’t bear being beside him. Jonghyun nudged me. “ I’m coming to your house tonight”

“ Huh?”

“Soojung’s going. I’m coming,too” he said.

I scrunched up my nose. “ I don’t think Jieun would like that” I said, bluntly.

“ Don’t mind her. It’s not like I would like her around either”

“ Dude. She’s my best friend! “ I said. “ Ugh, fine. I’ll try not to annoy her” he replied and I nodded. I looked over my shoulder a bit to see Soohyun staring at me but I swiftly looked back to the front naturally. I hope I’m not being too obvious.

Tonight, I’m going to forget about him as I decorate the Christmas tree with Jonghyun, IU, Soojung and my sisters. Did I mention winter break is coming?

I’m sure I’ll get over this feeling once winter break starts.

 

 

“ What’s he doing here?” IU said, with a pissed off look. Jonghyun rolled his eyes. I awkwardly laughed. “ Oh come on. He said he won’t annoy you” I said.

IU grunted disapprovingly but she didn’t push the matter further.

“ I told you don’t mind her” Jonghyun said quietly to me. I chuckled.

My phone suddenly rang. I automatically picked up, a habit of mine without looking at the caller ID, sometimes.

Hey, it’s me”

I  was stunned to hear the voice. I  pulled my phone from my ear and looked at the caller ID. [Soohyun]

I grunted to myself. Idiot. I should’ve looked at the caller ID first!

“ Oh,hi” I replied simply. I wonder why he called. Did he felt like I was too obvious and too cold to him today? I was merely trying to avoid him before I sort out my own feelings. I want to figure out my feelings if it’s really a crush or just my growing affection to him because he’s handsome and cool.

Are you okay? “

I gulped. “ Why?”

You didn’t seem well at school today. You were kinda…avoiding me”

He noticed it. Well, who wouldn’t?! I was too obvious! I hope he doesn’t figure out my feelings though. If he doesn’t feel the same way, I don’t know where I would hide my face! It will be so embarrassing.

Did I do something wrong?”  he said. He sounded sad, somehow. I’m such an awful person. He did nothing wrong.

“ No. I was just.. um. I had a lot of things going on in my mind. That’s why”

Oh. I wonder if I said something wrong when you came to my house the other day. “

I gulped again. I bit my lip, trying not to quiver or my feelings will be transparent to him once again.

“ No. I’m fine “ I said, monotonous.

Then, do you want to go out with me tomorrow?”

My heart beats rapidly in my chest. “ Huh?” my voice shook. I couldn’t help it.

I need to run some errands for my mum for Christmas. I thought it’s more fun to go with you”

“ to go with me…” I stupidly said.

Hm?”  he said on the other line. “ Oh! No no no! Nothing. “

He chuckled. My heart was about to explode hearing his laugh right into my ears, consuming my brain. I almost felt like I was melting. What is this? It didn’t affect me this badly when I was in love with Taecyeon. What is Kim Soohyun doing to me?!

Then are you coming with me tomorrow? “ he asked,gently.

“ Oh. Yeah. Sure” I replied. I tried sounding cool and normal like I felt nothing but I think my awkwardness busted it. But I don’t care anymore. He chuckled happily once again and we said our byes and hung up.

I felt like flying. It’s not a date. But I’m going out with him tomorrow, just the two of us.

 

Jonghyun

 

“ Where’s Suzy? “ IU looked over her shoulder to me. I looked to the direction of the kitchen where I noticed Suzy left to. “ In the kitchen, I guess” I replied.

“ What took her so long?” she muttered. Soojung passed her another ornament and she hung it on the tree. I  watched her and said “ I’ll go get her”.

I got up from the floor. “ Go get some snacks too, Oppa” Sulli said. “ Okay “ I replied.

I walked to the kitchen to see Suzy staring into the air. She’s been behaving weirdly all day. I wonder what’s up with her.

“ Suzy? What are you doing so long in the kitchen?” I asked. “ IU called- “ I stopped when she turned to me with gleaming eyes and a bright smile. She was clutching her phone to her chest.

I felt my heart gradually beating faster and faster. “ W-why? “ I stuttered.

“ Did you win a lottery? “ I asked.

She laughed. She looked so pretty doing so. She was always so pretty to me.

“ Why? You’re scaring me. Tell me” I said. I kept talking to calm my own heart.

She approached me and I grew nervous. Then, she hugged me. I was startled but gradually, I calmed down. I wanted to hug her back but I didn’t. I just stood there –stoic.

“ What’s got into you? “ I muttered quietly to her.

She giggled over my shoulder. “ I’m just so happy, I guess” she said. Her sweet voice ringing in my ear.

I gulped slowly. Hoping it wasn’t noticeable to her who’s close to me. My heart did a painful squeeze as I somehow just know what she’s happy about.

Definitely a guy. Definitely, not me.