HELP

I Still Love You

12.

Suzy’s POV

     The next day, the school is busy preparing for prom. People are also busy talking about it especially the girls. I saw some of them formed in groups to discuss about their dresses for the night.

   I understand how girls feel it’s a big deal. The first time I went to prom, I felt the same. IU was clearly uninterested, but I was –although I didn’t show it. Any event that requires us to dress up, I’d get excited about it –at least I thought I would.

    It all changed when reality just hits. You’d expect things will be like in the movies. You dress up prettily, and your crush will finally notice you –or take a glance or two at you.

     That doesn’t happen, I tell you.

     I know not all people go to prom or homecoming to be noticed but I did. If it wasn’t for that, I wouldn’t have gone to the event. I’m not really the type of person who likes going out so all these things, doesn’t really matter to me anymore.

    So it’s not a big deal for me.

     I stumbled when someone bumped into me from the back. After I finally regained my balance, I turned around. It was Jonghyun with his gummy smile.

   “You never feel guilty, huh?” I said.

    “For catching your attention? No“, he said, smiling widely at me. I laughed, slapping his shoulder. We began walking.

    “You weren’t at the bus stop”

    “I felt like walking “

     “You sure have your days, huh?” he said.

I turned to him. “What days?” my eyebrows lift in question.

     “When you’re just too caught up in your thoughts “, he said, gesturing like a cloud forming around my head. I brushed his hands away and chuckled. I decided not to reply.

     I know for one thing though. My heart fluttered to know that he noticed that about me.

 

**

 

     “Suzy. Jiyeon. Follow me after this, okay?” Mr. Yang called us. I sighed. I was just about to lay my head on the desk after the treacherous class ended.

    Jonghyun glanced at me apologetically. So did Soohyun. I stood up lazily and followed. Mr Yang glared at Jiyeon for not standing up resulting in her having no choice but to follow him.

      Jiyeon and I shared a glance. We made sulky faces behind him.

    Mr Yang abruptly turned to us, making us shocked.

     “I’m gonna have you help the seniors decorate and arrange things in the hall for prom “ he said, pointing his book at us both back to back.

    I scowled and Jiyeon grunted.

    “But Saem… Why us? “, I asked.

    “You guys are my favourite students, that’s why! “, he said, smiling cheekily at us. He approached us both and patted our heads. “Work hard…” he said and left.

     Ugh…….. I inwardly groaned.

     I looked to my side to see Jiyeon not giving a damn about it. I internally panicked. What if she left me on my own again like before?

        “ Jiyeon? “ I called. “Hm?” she responded, glancing at me. I looked at her with hopeful eyes. She grinned.

       “We can just ditch this ,Suzy “ she assured, flipping her hair with a  wicked grin.

      I gulped. I’m no good at ditching things. And I certainly don’t have the heart to go against Mr Yang’s word as much as I wish he would stop calling after me.

       I looked at Jiyeon with a worried face while she nodded at me with full confidence.

       

**

 

         I ended up lifting chairs to the hall. Jiyeon ditch this work after I refused to follow her.

        My shoulder ached after lifting so many chairs in and out of the hall. I wanted to lie down on the floor while everyone busy going here and there with stuff.

      “We’ll take a break! “, one of the seniors said. I sighed in relief and took a seat.

    Everyone started going out of the hall. I got confused and stopped a senior walking passed me, “Where are everyone going? ”, I asked.

     “To the café. Aren’t you hungry? “, she chuckled at me. I wiped   the sweat out of my face. 

   I sure as hell am hungry. But I just want to go home.

   The senior was about to leave when I pulled her arm again. “S-sunbae.. “ I called. She looked at me attentively.

  “I just need to lift all the chairs in here, right? Then I can leave?” I said. She looks around for a moment. Half of the chairs were already loaded in, there’s a half more. She nodded “Yeah, that’s all” she said. I sighed again and nodded at her.

      After she left, I stood up with much motivation to finish this quick and go home.

      “I can do it! ”,  I said.

     The faster, the better.

      I worked like a machine, lifting the chairs without complaints. I even lifted two at a time. I endure the pain on my shoulder. I couldn’t say much when they asked me to lift the chairs alone since I’m the only junior there to do the hard work.

     I went back and forth with the chairs and only until the fourth time, my legs gave up on me. I couldn’t go on. I really wish I could finish it all up before break is over. Because when they gathered in the hall again, it’ll be much harder to drag the chairs in without much obstacle.

       As I huff and puff on the floor, someone whistle. I turned to the noise and I saw Soohyun standing by the entrance of the hall, smiling at me.

      At that time, he was shining in my eyes –like a savior has come. I smiled back at him, very widely much to his please.

    He approached me. “Are you okay? “ he asked, he hold me by the arm and pulled me up to him. I was still breathing hard from exhaustion so I couldn’t reply but I nodded.

     He pushed me slowly to a chair nearby for me to sit on. “You look like you’re about to faint “, he said. He looked around the hall. Also the two chairs I wasn’t able to continue lifting.

    He stared at me in amusement. “Were you lifting all those chairs? “, he asked, his voice tone was a bit high.

      I nodded again, smiling at him. He shook her head. “That was so inconsiderate of them “, he said, his expression was bitter.

       He kneeled in front of me, I stare up at him in dazed.

     He pulled out a red bean bun and told me to eat it. I giggled. “ How come you always have this with you?” I asked.

    He chuckled too. “ Well, every time I see it, I thought of you” he said frankly. I’m sure he didn’t mean more than that but my heart fluttered.

    I took it in my hands like I don’t want it to go away.

     “ Why don’t you eat, anyway? “ he asked, looking up to me. His face felt so close, so warm near me. His voice is coated with concern.

   I looked down “ You’re talking as if I have eating disorders. It’s just that every time I decided to ditch snack time, you were there “ I said with a cheeky grin.

   He grinned back at me. His eyes are twinkling. He’s beautiful, I thought.

    He stood up. “ Well, you eat and I’ll help you finish this up” he said. I didn’t say anything because I’m truly exhausted and it’s really nice of him to help me.

    I ate the bun quietly, as I watched him lifting the chairs and putting them in place.

 

 

    When we finished, he even helped picking up my bag. I gave him a side eye glance. He lifted his eyebrows. “What? “ he said.

    I shrugged. “ Why are you being so nice to me?” I asked.

    He chuckled. “ I’m always nice? “ he said, like it’s a question. I laughed and he laughed too.

   “ How come you’re still at school though? The only ones left are the ones in charge of prom setups “

    He shrugged. “ Sometimes I stay back for a while “ he simply said.

    I nodded, not questioning further.

    We got in front of the school and I looked around, he did too. “What are you looking for?” he asked. I looked at him “ Aren’t you going back with your mom? “ I asked.

    He coughed. “ No. I feel like walking today “ he said.

    I grinned at him. I guess he want to spend his time with me? Or is it just wishful thinking? I don’t mind though. He’s a good company.

     

 

 

~*~

 

 

This chapter was kind of hard to write since it reminded me of a guy I once really liked. And it’s really depressing to think about him these days.