Suspicious

I Still Love You

         I wasn’t feeling like eating today so I skipped lunch with my friends. Surely if my dad found out about it, he’ll scold me like there’s no tomorrow. But of course –he won’t found out. I’m carrying my books to put in my locker until suddenly someone bumped into me from behind, hard.

       My books fell from my hand and I stumbled to the front. When I thought I was going to fall, a strong hand gripped me by my elbow and pulled me to him. I blinked in shock when I’m met with a pair of broad shoulders. I slowly looked up to see Mr. Yang with a serious face. Then, I looked around us.

      A lot of people actually stopped to look at us. I backed away from Mr. Yang, uncomfortable with the close proximity. Then, I saw two girls. They were making pity faces at me. Then, I realized, they must’ve hit me on purpose. I slightly glared at them, out of confusion and anger.

        “ Shinhye. Bora “ Mr.Yang suddenly said. The atmosphere was tense. I looked up to see his face and he was never this serious. Then, his face automatically changed to the normal Mr. Yang who’s adored by all. He smiled sweetly at them. “Next time, make sure you walk using your eyes so you don’t end up hurting anyone, okay? “ he said, cheerfully –like we’re a bunch of kindergarteners. The two girls exchanged smirks between them and laughed at his advice. They nodded and bowed lightly at me but I saw the look they threw at me just before they left. They weren’t sorry.

        I felt my lips trembling from anger. Did I do something wrong to them?

        I felt Mr. Yang’s hand on my shoulder, he pulled me along with him. I looked up at him. “What was that about? “ I asked. His face turned serious again but he said nothing. “ They did it on purpose !” I claimed and he stopped walking. He turned to me and asked “Are you okay? “

     “Huh? “ I replied, confused.

    “Did you get hurt? “ he asked again. I looked down to my body as if to search for any hints that I’m hurt. Then, I shook my head. Mr. Yang smiled like he always do. “Good then. Be careful. Seems like there’s people holding grudge against you” he said and turned ,his back facing me.

       “W-what do you mean by that?! “ I called out. He held out his hand and waved at me without looking .  “ Goodbye “ he said. I scoffed and suddenly looked around, feeling paranoid if I get attacked again.

      “ Grudge? Me ? I’ve never hurt anyone in my life! “ I talked to myself and silently stomping my feet in the empty hallway.

     I shouldn’t have skipped lunch .

  

 

    “ Yah. What happened just now?  I heard there’s a commotion? “ Jonghyun asked when we’re back in class. I shrugged at him. “ Just someone who hates me” I said. He laughed “Who would hate you? “

      I smiled cornily at him in return.  I wonder why they hate me. I thought. I’m genuinely curious, what did I do to make them hate me.

      “Maybe because you went out with that Ji Soo guy? “ he asked and my head snapped back at him, thinking that he might be right. He chuckled and pointed at Soohyun who just flinched at the mention of Ji Soo. “Man, you’re so bad at covering yourself “ he laughed heartily, holding his stomach.

     “Aish, shut up “ Soohyun replied, angry. It’s the first time I’ve seen him fight back. My mouth twitched upward a little, amused.

     “I’m a genius “ Jonghyun muttered and I chuckled, shaking my head.

    “Did you get hurt? “ Soohyun suddenly asked, he’s not looking at me. I slightly turned to him, wondering if I should answer back.  Then, he turned to me, his expression unreadable. “ Did you get hurt? “ he repeated. I slowly shook my head and he nodded in return. I heard him mumble “Good “.

     I turned back and slouched in my seat, feeling my face heating up. Afraid that someone might see it, especially Jonghyun who could see through me, I put down my face on the table and pretend to sleep.

     

   

    “ You sure you’re okay? “ Jonghyun asked me when we’re in the hallway. He’s been following me ever since what had happened. I guess he had gotten more paranoid than myself. “ It’s fine. I’m just going to hand in these books to the teacher’s office “ I said.

     He still seems unsatisfied and scoffed. “I don’t understand. Why do you have to send these books? It’s not your job. That witch is the class rep , she should do it! “ he nagged. I smiled , finding it cute and funny that he’s reacting like this.

     “Ah , it’s fine! Jiyeon’s wrist is hurt and Soohyun had to meet with Mrs. Kim. I’m just helping “ I said.

     He scoffed again. “ Her wrist is hurt? My “ he mumbled to himself but I heard it and I slapped his arm. “ Ow! “ he shouted and glared at me. “ I’m going “ I said and left.

     I entered the quiet teachers’ room and noticed Mr. Yang at his desk. He was reading a book and I quietly approached him. “ Yang Saem “ I called quietly and he turned to look at me. “Aigoo ,it’s you again “he said as he took the books from my hands. I grinned at him and he looked around. “Where’s Jiyeon ? “ he asked. He had asked Jiyeon to bring the book to him after class.

     I smiled apologetically. “ She hurt her wrists so she can’t carry these “ I said. He looked ahead in thought and nodded. “Ah, really? Okay, then” he said and looked up to me again. “ Thanks “

    I nodded and bowed at him. I turned to leave and saw three girls were watching me from another teacher’s desk. I stared back at them but they didn’t look away. Instead, they kept whispering to each other and that clearly made me uncomfortable. I curled my hands into a fist, anger slowly building up in me again. I think I’m being treated unfairly. If they have something against me, they should say it to my face.

      I was surprised when Mr. Yang flicked my hand lightly. I looked to my side and he grinned at me. “ Hey, you guys “ he called to them. I was surprised and I looked at them too.

   They stopped whispering and looked at Mr. Yang. He jerked his face at me and asked “ Do you have something to tell her? “

     They were surprised and exchanged glances between each other. “W-what? “ they said. Mr. Yang chuckled. “ You guys were staring at her for too long. You guys have something to say? “ he said. They looked between themselves again and shook their heads. “ No, sir “ they replied and left the room while slapping each other’s arms. I looked at them and realized, they’re the bunch of girls who had constantly glared at me in the cafeteria and also the ones who saw me getting on a bike with Ji Soo.

      I guess Jonghyun is right after all. They’re after me because of Ji Soo. I thought long about it. Ever since prom, I haven’t talked to him at all so it has been a week. Guiltily, I will admit –I actually had forgotten about him because my mind was occupied with Soohyun.

     “Are you dating anyone? “ Mr. Yang suddenly asked, making my hair stood up. “W-what?! “ I replied in shock. He blinked at me in surprise to and chuckled. “Why are you so surprised? Did I hit bullseye? “ he asked, smiling –showing his teeth. I shook my head vigorously. “I don’t have a boyfriend, Saem! “ I said, waving my hand to him dismissively.

    He chuckled. “ Oh yeah ? “ Then he looked ahead in thought. “Then, has someone confessed to you ? “ he asked making me blushed red. He laughed again. “ I guess it’s true “ he chuckled. I looked away. “Well, yeah. There is someone “ I said.

      “ Is he popular? “

    I looked back at him and he raised his eyebrows to me. I nodded.

    “ Handsome? “

   I nodded.

      Then, he nodded in understanding. “ I guess they’re jealous of you for that. They must’ve liked that boy “ he said. I started playing with my fingers, nervous.

   “ Do you like him back? “ he asked again , catching me off guard. Instead of blushing, my shoulders slouched. “No “ I replied, guiltily.

   He kindly smiled to me. “I understand. You can go home now. Be careful “ he said and turned back to his desk. I bowed to him and leave the room quietly with thoughts of Ji Soo in my head.