Heartbeats

I Still Love You

10.

       After taking a long shower , I went down to eat dinner . I didn’t see my parents , I guess they’re coming back late again. I am so hungry so I open the cabinets to find any food . There’s a few ramen in the lower cabinet , I take two packs and cook it .

       I sit on the dining table and eat alone . I don’t have any maids in my house .  My dad doesn’t like having maids around the house, he doesn’t trust them. Soon after that , I heard the front door opened and I could hear footsteps coming into the house . I ignore and continue eating .

       My sisters walk passed the dining room and saw me eating deliciously on the table . I acted as if I didn’t see them standing there , staring at my food.

      “ Yah ,save some for us , we’re crazily hungry right now !” my younger sister, Sulli , said as she and my youngest sister run upstairs to change their clothes . I sigh as my peaceful time is being bothered by those two. I got up from my chair and walked into the kitchen to cook some ramen for them too .

      We sat on the dining table , the 3 of us , me, Sulli and Sunhwa , eating the ramen quietly . Then , Sulli speak up with still full .

        “ Oh, unnie . Soo Jung told me that her brother had problems with you and was acting weirdly . Did you guys fight ?” she asked, then continue facing her bowl of ramen .

     I didn’t respond for a while then I said softly “Maybe “ . Sulli looked up at me “ Oh , so you started the fight huh ? You always the one who messed up the situation” she said , drinking her glass of juice .

    “Yeah , I did mess up “ I said in low voice so she couldn’t hear . “What ?! Really ? You messed up ?! “ she said , pointing her beautiful index finger to me .

   “ I knew it! You’re the type of person to do that”

           “ I .. umm .. “

          I don’t know what to say . She look at me sternly , I don’t even know why she bothered about this. I‘m getting bored talking to her so I got up from the chair to wash my dishes .

        “You clean up the table “ I said after washing my bowl and glass . I walk upstairs and lock myself in my bedroom .

        “Uhh , she just made me feel worse”  I said to myself. Soojung , Jonghyun’s younger sister is Sulli’s best friend . So I guess she told Sulli about Jonghyun’s moody behaviour.  While I am filling my head with the things that I should do to make up to him , suddenly my phone rings . I quickly pick up without looking at the caller ID .

         “Hello ?” I said , lazily .

            “Hey , it’s me “, the familiar voice that I longed for is talking to me , I look at my phone screen to make sure I was right . I smile widely and yelled at him .

     “Yah , Kim Jong Hyun , why aren’t you talking to me ha ? Stop making me guilty anymore !” I let out to him, the feelings are overwhelming.  There is silence for a moment and I feel regret to yell at him , in case he is still angry and upset with me .

          “Jonghyun ?” I called his name . “Yeah ?” he responded . “ I’m sorry “ , I said softly . Then , I hear him giggle on the phone . I become confused .

        “I’m not angry at you .he said . “ But .. you .. “ before I could talk he cut off .

       “I‘m not in the mood actually to talk to anyone , that’s why . I‘m sorry if I made you feel bad”  he said smoothly but I feel like the sentence had been made up , I know the way he talks. He is lying right now . If not , why did he told her sister , Soo Jung , that he had problems with me .

      “Suzy ah , I have to go now, I ‘ll talk to you in class tomorrow , okay ? Byebefore I could say anything , he hung up. I think maybe he was considering my feelings . I want to ask him about what he told her sister but , I think it’s the best if I don’t ask him. 

 

 

suzy’s POV

       I looked at Jonghyun as he walk into the class that morning , he didn’t look at me again . I waited until he will approach and said hi to me . He walked to his desk and put down his bag.

       He finally turn to look at me and said “What ?” innocently.

      “I thought we’re good now? “ I said, slightly pouting. He chuckled and said “ Yeah, we’re good” he said, slightly grinning back at me. I smiled. I still haven’t got used to this Jonghyun. But at least, he’s kinda back, right?

        He turned back to the front and started READING.

        Erm, well, okay.

       Jonghyun is also one of the smart students in class. Maybe not top 3 but he’s among top 10. So it wasn’t surprising really that he reads books but he rarely does that in class –which only means, he’s still avoiding me.

      What do I do?!

       My eyes are focused to Taecyeon who’s standing by the door, looking at me sternly. I actually forgot that we broke up. I spent too much worrying about Jonghyun that I forgot about him entirely. I’m the worst.

    I instantly look away from him. I don’t know what to do, how to act. As long as we’re still classmates, I can never escape him. I’m already on good terms with Jiyeon again, but I don’t know if I’ll ever be on good terms with him again. I still feel shy around him. I do think my feelings for him aren’t as strong as before but I still feel embarrassed around him. I feel bad.

    He was a really good friend. I ruined our friendship.

    I sighed. I’m really the worst.

    I pulled out my phone from my blazer’s pocket and plucked my blue earphones into my ears. I increased the volume so I won’t hear anything.

     Soon after that, Mrs Kang walked into class. She’s a history teacher. I sighed because I know she’s going to hand in the history paper that we did for the last test. I could tell that my marks are gonna be very low because I’m very weak in that subject.

     “ Hello class. I’m gonna give back to you your test papers and your marks. Please revise your mistakes and make corrections “ she said, sternly. One thing I hate about her class is because it’s so tense.

    “ There are 5 people who got A+ and… “ she started to speak as she looks around us.

     “ …3 people who got the least with 30 marks and below” she said, as her eyes laid on me. I’m starting to shake under my desk.

    Oh  My God!!! I’m in troubleeeeee!! I’m DEFINITELY one of those three. Damn it!

     “ Kim Soohyun” she called Soohyun and my head turned to look at him. I pressed my lips together as I watched him calmly stood up, emotionless, and walked to the front. Doesn’t he feel nervous?

    “ I’m very proud of you as the new student in this class. This school really welcome bright students like you. Congratulations. A+ ” Mrs Kang smiled warmly and him as she hands in the paper to Soohyun. She rarely smiles.

    I’m so jealous. I thought.

   Soohyun bowed a bit to the teacher and got back to his seat. My head followed him as he sat at his desk again. I stretched my neck like a giraffe to look at his paper. He noticed and pushed it to the side for me to see. My mouth hang open.

      Oh My God.

     100%? Full mark? You’ve got to be kidding me! That’s so cliché for a handsome face!

     I feel like I was already drooling so I shut my mouth close. He chuckles lightly at me.

    Mrs Kang proceeds calling the other 4 brilliant students.

    Then, the worst part. The lowest scores. My palms and legs are sweating under the table. I hope she won’t get super angry. I’m so nervous!

    “ Goo Haein “ she said slowly. It’s almost dreadful.

    “ Park Jiyeon “ I saw Jiyeon rolling her eyes at her.

    Please don’t be me. Don’t be me.

   “ Bae Suzy “

    Oh .

    I look up nervously, eye to eye to Mrs Kang. Damn, she looks scary. I look to the side a bit, Soohyun giving me a look like he’s sorry to me. I wish he can help me.

   “ STAND UP” she said, sternly. I swear I almost peed.

     I stood up slowly, feeling embarrassed. Soohyun still looking at me apologetically. I look over to the side where Jiyeon is standing too. She seems relax as she grinned at me. Goo Haein is absent today. Lucky.

      Mrs Kang was glaring at us. Oh no, she’s gonna explode.

    “ Don’t you guys even read? You should at least get 40 to 50 marks. But 30. Really? That proves you don’t even put any effort! “ she raised her voice. I looked down. I wish the bell rings now. I wanna vanish, disappear. Please take me out of here!

  “I’m gonna punish you both along with Goo Haein when she comes to school “

    Oh man. I murmured alone to myself, trying to cam myself down. Jonghyun suddenly turn his head back, looking at me. I looked at him, wondering if he has something to tell me. Instead he gave me a wicked grin and stick his tongue out at me. He’s mocking me! I knew it.

     I should let it go since we just got into a ‘fight’.

   

 

      “ Ugh ,where is she?” I muttered to myself and looked around. I’m alone at the back of the school. It’s dangerous here, or so I thought. It’s not really a dark alley or anything but I feel so lonely. It’s actually a wide space where teacher and staff park their cars.

      “ Suzy yahhhh “ I heard a voice calling me from above. I looked up. It’s Teacher Yang. Ugh, he’s gonna make fun of me too. “ What? “ I said. Teacher Yang grinned at me. “ Poor our Suzy have to paint the pots. That’s why I told you, you should pay attention in class. “ he said. I looked away and rolled my eyes. That’s not helping at all.

    “ Should I do it in my class too? If you got D in your math test, I’m gonna have you clean the bathroom “ he said, laughing as if he’s enjoying it.

   I glared at him. He laughs harder. Teacher Yang is just like a kid. He loves messing around with his students. But he’s a good teacher. I’m the one who’s not a good student.

     When I looked above again, Teacher Yang was gone. I guess he already left.

    I dip my brush into some more paint as I paint the pot with a second coat. The punishment Mrs Kang gave us was to paint all these big grey pots red. I’m supposed to do this with Jiyeon but God knows where she had gone to. I had a feeling she ran away and left me with this job alone.

    I sighed. Ugh, why do I have such bad luck.

   I pull another big pot and started painting it. I let out another heavy sigh.

    “ Poor you” someone said from behind me. I quickly turn as I recognized the voice. It’s Soohyun. I sighed and rolled my eyes at him. He should just help me rather than pitying me.

    “ What are you doing here?” I asked, without looking at him. I dipped my brush in the paint again. He took a seat beside me, crossing his legs. He took one of the many brush on the floor and dip it into the paint too. So he’s helping? I thought as I grinned to myself.

    “ I should help you, shouldn’t I?” he said, without looking at me. He started painting the same pot I’m painting. I grinned “ Of course!”

    He smiled. “ I saw Jiyeon hopped in her friend’s car just now? “ he said. I scoffed and curse under my breath so he won’t hear. I knew Jiyeon’s gonna leave me to do this by myself! She’s a princess!

    Soohyun scooted closer to me to paint the wide side of the pot. Our knees touched. I suddenly feel stiff, my heart’s fluttering.

   Stop. It. I told myself.

    “ I heard you and Taecyeon are going out “ he said.

   WERE going out.

   I said nothing.

   He looked over at me but shrugged it off.

   “ We broke up already “ I suddenly said, making him looked at me. He looked like he doesn’t know how to react or what to say. I smirked at him “ It’s okay. You don’t have to say anything. It’s no big deal “ I said.

    I’m half lying , half telling the truth. It is NOT a big deal. It’s not the end of the world. I did questioned my actions but I decided to let it go. I feel more comfortable being on my own. I forgot one thing that I hate the most in high school is DRAMA.

       I resumed painting the pots and he did too.

     “ Hey “

     I turned to my side.  He pulled my left hand and write something on my palm with the little paint he has on his finger. I was surprised. That’s probably our first skinship? But I didn’t pull away. I was staring at his face. I just noticed we’re sitting so close to each other. He’s so close to me. He looked up suddenly, making me stunned. My eyes widen a bit as I blink a few times at him. He didn’t seem to notice, or maybe he was unaffected by it, because he smiled widely at me. “ What? “ I asked.

    “ Look “ he said, tugging on my hand. I looked at my hand and there’s a big letter T and a heart beside it with red paint. Taecyeon?

    The grin on his face is so big. He must think this is funny. I rolled my eyes at him. “ This is so immature, Kim Soohyun “ I said, but I can’t help but to smile because he’s so cute. “ I told you we’re over “ I said.

     He shrugged his shoulders. “ I thought maybe you still have feelings for him “ he said, in a joking manner. 

    “ Ugh, shut up” I said, making him laugh. I pulled his hand too, making him startled a bit but he didn’t pull away. “ Tell me who’s your crush’s name? Or her initial. “ I said, looking straight at him. He pouted a bit and shook his head.

   I rolled my eyes AGAIN. This guy.

   “ Then tell me your ex-girlfriend’s name” I insisted.

    “ I never had a girlfriend “ he said. I blink a few times at him, scanning his expression to see if he’s lying or not. I can’t read him but he looks pretty innocent. “ Ooookayyy “ I said. I tugged on his hand. “Then tell me who do you like. You must like someone right?  Even once in your lifetime? “ I said, pressuring him. He pouted and grinned at me like he’s saying he’s not gonna tell.

   I rolled my eyes for the umpteenth time today. I let go of his hand, pretending to sulk. “You’re no fun “ I said.

   He chuckled. “ Fine. The person I like starts with the letter M “ he said. My head quickly scanned if any of our classmates starts with the letter M.

    Kang Moonri? Yoon Momo? Kim Minsoo? Who?

   I couldn’t figure it out. He’s holding his smile as he looked at me. I bet he knows I’m trying to figure out who M is too. I just dip my finger in the paint and paint the letter M on his palm. “ There you go “ I said.

    He’s still grinning at me. “ You don’t look happy “ he said, cheeky smile on his face.

    I have a smug look on my face as I asked “ Who’s M ,though? Do I know her? “ acting like I didn’t care.  

     He just smiled at me. “ Who? “ I asked again.

    He just winked at me, teasing. I bit my lip in frustration. I’m really curious!

    PAK!

    “ OW! “ we both yelped in pain as someone hit our head with a  book. We turned our heads and looked up to see Teacher Yang. “ Are you guys even painting? ! “ he said, raising one of his eyebrows.

    “ He he he he he “ I fake laughing when he looked at me while Soohyun smiled guiltily as Teacher Yang looked at him.

     Teacher Yang coughed afterwards. “ Well, Kim Soohyun. Your mom’s waiting at the front gate. I guess you got distracted , huh? “ Soohyun quickly got up. He must’ve forgot that his mom is waiting to pick him up. He bowed to Teacher Yang and waved a small Bye at me. Then, he left. I waved back.

     When I looked up, Teacher Yang is shaking his head at me. “Tsk tsk “

      “ What????? “ I asked, confused as to why he’s staring at me like that.

     “ Get up and go home. You already did half of it on your own. Tomorrow I’ll call Jiyeon and Haein to finish it up “ he said, ignoring my question. I quickly got up and cheerfully said, “ THANK YOU SO MUCH SEONGSAENGNIM!!!!!!!!!!!! “ and bowed at him more than 90 degrees, my hair even touched the ground. 

    “ Yeah.. you should be grateful to me” he said. I grinned widely.

    “ Make sure you get 100% in the next test, okay? “ he said, pointing the book at me. I pushed it away lightly as I fake laugh again. “Ha ha ha. What are you talking about , seongsaengnim. Ha ha ha “ I said, as I walked slowly backwards.

    “You- “

      “ I’LL GO BACK FIRST. BYE!” I said as I ran as fast as I can, leaving Teacher Yang alone before he can order me anything. That was close!

   

 

 

*****Thanks for reading :)  one  thing for young girls out there, younger than me,  (I'm 18 btw) DO NOT chase guys around , this is based on experience. It didn't end well when you finally got him. Try straight forward guy and someone who you're comfortable with. That would make the best perfect boyfriend. I'm still searching , I mean waiting because I dont chase my crushes anymore nor do I have a crush now :) The part where jong and suji had a phone call was real, it happened to me w my best friend ( not anymore) I really felt what suji felt. I forgot most of it by now, but I still remember how I felt back then. and the scene where soohyun and suji are painting the pots are real too, it happened to me & i had a crush on him back then. that's why this chapter is quite precious for me to write because it happened in real life. THANK YOU NEW SUBBIES. LOVE YA