Jealous

I Still Love You

Suzy

 

I blinked my eyes and my eye sight became clear. Soohyun is sitting a meter away from me and he’s suppressing a grin. I looked to the side, wondering where the loud voice came from. When I was met with a blinking woman staring at me with a box of fried chicken in her hand –which the smell are penetrating my nose and reaching my hungry stomach.

I sprint up in a standing position and bowed more than 90 degrees, my hair hitting the floor. “ Hello, Soohyun’s mother. I am Bae Suzy, his classmate and a  good  friend of his “ I said, quite a lengthy introduction.

His mother laughed awkwardly at me and nodded “ I see. Well, come and eat with us, then “ she said and gave a look at Soohyun. My stomach grumbled and I muttered under my breath “ Just the right time “

I looked over at Soohyun and raised my eyebrows at him and he coughed. He’s still suppressing his laugh. He must’ve thought I was such a weirdo. I nudged him and he back away from me and held up his hand as he walked first, as if he’s saying “ I’m not associating myself with you”. I pouted at his behavior. I’m nervous as it is having his mother here and giving her bad first impression but he’s not even going to assure me that it’ll be fine.

What do I expect anyway? Am I expecting him to give a good word about me to his mother? I mean, a good word as a friend, right? Is it wrong to ask for that?

I smooth out my clothes and especially my messy hair, straightening them with my fingers and jog towards their kitchen where the dining table is located.

Soohyun already took out a plate for me and I just sat beside him quietly, afraid to make a sound in front of her mother. Her mother seems intimidating. She’s a very pretty and posh looking lady. I heard she holds quite a high position in a big company and she’s a single mother. Quite impressive of her.

“ Here, have a lot” she said, putting three drumsticks on my plate. I bowed politely. “ Thank you”

She smiled at me, her elegant face finally showed some motherly expression. She’s just like Soohyun, seems cold on the outside but a total sweetheart.

I coughed as I trailed with my thoughts. Soohyun turned to me “ You okay?” 

I nodded, with an over assuring face. He gave me a look like he’s saying that I’m weird but shrugged it off.

“ I guess Soohyun is surrounded by pretty girls “ her mother started.

“ Mom.. “ Soohyun said, his ears turning red. He looks half annoyed, half embarrassed. I laughed awkwardly.

“ The first time was Jiyeon. She was such a lovely girl “

I was stunned. I was left staring at the chicken drumstick on my hand. “ She visited quite several times before. I wonder why she stopped “ she trailed on talking about Jiyeon.

“ Mom .. “ Soohyun called after his mother, probably asking her to stop. I felt Soohyun glancing at me but he said nothing. He does seem somewhat uncomfortable .

I gathered myself and smiled “ Oh yes. We’re a group of friends “ I said.

Her mother looked excited. “ Oh really? Tell me about your friends. I thought my poor child is not socializing well in school “ she said and gave a meaningful and teasing look at her son.

“ There’s IU, her real name is Lee Jieun, but people call her that since middle school. Eunjung and Jonghyun. “ I said, trying to sound cheerful. I am a bad friend. Why did I suddenly had ill feelings toward Jiyeon for a moment just now?

“ I see. I would love to meet them sometime. “ she said happily –looking between me and Soohyun back and forth.

“Okay, mum. It’s late. I’ll send Suzy home” he said and stood up.

“Eh, but she still haven’t finished eating “ she said , looking up at her son who is standing.

“ I’ll pack the food, Suzy. Let’s go” he said and nudge my shoulder to get up. He pushed and nudged me to go to the living room, probably asking me to pack my stuff. When I walked out of the kitchen, I saw Soohyun was telling something to his mother. I wonder what he wanted to say to her so urgently to ask me out of the kitchen.

I sighed as I pack my stuff without focusing. My mind was flying elsewhere.

He invited Jiyeon over? Jiyeon visited several times? His mother seems pretty fond of Jiyeon –which is not surprising because Jiyeon never fails to earn everyone’s liking. Even my mom is fond of her.

What relationship do the both of them have? I never knew about Jiyeon and Soohyun meeting outside of school. Now that I think about it. There was one time, at the ice cream shop. I was there with Jonghyun when they both walked in.

The fact that I was stunned was because I thought I was Soohyun’s special friend. We all know he doesn’t have friends and the only people who are close to him are me, IU and maybe, Jonghyun. But especially me.

I don’t know why I’m feeling possessive which is unlike me.

“Hey “

I was startled when he called from behind me. I turned to look at him and he has a confused face on. “Are you okay? “he asked. Maybe I looked like I just saw a ghost. I quickly stood up and swing my back on my shoulder and smiled reassuringly at him. “Yeah. Let’s go” I said and walked past him.

I bowed and said goodbye to his mother. We got inside the car which I believe is his car. “You have a license? “ I asked.

He just nodded with a hmm and began reversing the car out of his house. On the way back, I just leaned on the window and looked outside at particularly nothing. My mind is in dazed. I don’t even know what is going through my head right now. Everything is a blur so I just blankly stare outside.

“Suzy, we’re here” he said.

I woke up from my trance and turned to him. He raised his eyebrows as if stating the obvious. I looked around and noticed we’re in front of my house gate. It took 5 minutes only but it felt like I spent a long time in the car.

“Oh. Uhh, thanks “ I said, my voice sounded unconvincing. I opened the door and stepped outside into the cold. The cold breeze blew at my face and I instantly felt like my face is freezing like ice. I shuddered.

He bent his head and looked at me “Are you okay? “ he called out.

I felt like he asked that too much today.

“Ohh “ I said and shut the door. When I got to the gate, I turned a bit and waved a goodbye out of courtesy.

He opened his window right before I got in and called after me. I looked over my shoulder. “Are you really okay? “ he asked. I should’ve gotten annoyed by now with the same question but I didn’t because the expression on his face now is genuine worry. I felt my heart squeezed painfully.

I smiled, feeling guilty that I unfairly giving him a cold shoulder. “ I’m okay” I replied which earned a smile from him. “ Okay then. Sleep well. See you at school. Goodnight Suzy “ he said. My name sounded beautiful out of his mouth and my heart rapidly skipped.

I nodded and he closed his window. I quickly pushed my house gate and got in, afraid that my expression wouldn’t conceal my feelings.

I was jealous. I am jealous.

I want to be his special person. I want to be his only one.