Close

I Still Love You

Chapter 39

 

“ Why are you so late? “ Mr. Yang spoke , not looking back. He was flipping through his book while walking. I was following him quietly from the back. I roll my eyes behind his back. 

“ You’re rolling your eyes , aren’t you?” He said, still not looking back. I flinched.  Woah, this teacher is really something. 

“ Ssaem. You’re really amazing. I think you should quit being a teacher” I said with an annoyed tone. He finally turned to me and made a creepy grin where his eyes are squinted. He usually does that whenever he’s not taking me seriously . I groaned. 

“ You’re being unfair. I was about to rest. Why do I always have to be your victim? “ I rambled and he started walking again but I didn’t stop. I keep on rambling as I followed him. I heard Mr. Yang chuckled and I peeked a bit to see he was indeed smiling. I smiled too. Mr. Yang is annoying but he’s entertaining. He actually made my school life a bit durable especially in this year. 

As we walk inside the teachers’ office, I saw some stares from the teachers inside who are looking at us through their glasses, their bangs and over their desk. I feel my hair stood up. Did I do something wrong?

We reached Mr. Yang’s table and he sat with a sigh. He sounds tired. 

He picked a pile of books and pushed it to me. My jaw dropped. What is this? 

 I looked at him with a troubled look. “ You…don’t expect me to do all of this? “ I said, pointing back and forth towards me and the many many books. He grins at me with his eyes squited. That smile again. 

I groaned. 

“ Oh? Are you angry? “ he asked, leaning to look at me who’s standing and pointing at my creased forehead. I made a poker face but I didn’t say anything. I took back what I said just now. Mr. Yang doesn’t make my life durable! He makes my life torturous! 

He laughs. The devil. 

I was somehow surprised how boyish his laugh sounds like. He’s a young teacher indeed but I always feel like he’s the same as other teacher because of how he talks to me. He was kind and caring at times, but just like a teacher, he was stern, serious and talk with a layer of malice at times. Even when he’s talking to me, he often looks tired. 

“ Yoseob “ someone called. Both of us turned to the said voice. It was Mr. Hyun, our old Korean Literature teacher. He taught me last year but not this year. I bowed to him but he only looked at Mr. Yang. 

Mr. Yang casually looked at him. “ Yes? “ he asked. 

The air was quite tense. I could feel some stares from the other teachers in the room although they act like they are busy with their work. I saw Mr. Hyun was holding a cane. My hair stood up again. Why is the situation feels so icy cold. I looked back at Mr. Yang and his expression is the same, oblivious to the surrounding and even Mr. Hyun’s expression himself. He remained calm as he waited for Mr. Hyun to talk. 

“ Yoseob… you’re called to the principal’s office” Mr. Hyun said and for a split second, he looked at me. 

I was scared and my mind felt like it’s going on circles. It was one of the rare moments I hear Mr. Yang’s name coming out from the older teachers’ mouth. At that moment, I was suddenly worried for Mr. Yang because somehow I feel like it has something to do with me. If not, why would the teachers looked at me and even Mr. Hyun himself to glance at me with a stern face? He’s the discipline teacher!

Mr. Yang remained his ground. He turned to me with a bored face but he gave me a small smile before dismissing me. “You can go” he said, his voice came out gentle and soft. I felt my heart shake. I nod slowly and leave. 

Before I close the teacher’s door, I saw Mr. Yang was massaging his temple. 

 

 

I bumped into Soohyun on the way back to class. He came out of the first floor’s bathroom. He looked surprise to see me. Although I was too, but my knees are still shaking from what happened and possibly is occurring now in the teachers’ room. 

Soohyun, noticing I was spaced out, approached me.  “ Hey, are you okay? “ he asked. 

I was still spacing out and started feeling anxious. Now I remember all the stares I got in class and how Eunjung said something about rumours. 

Soohyun put his hand on my shoulder and he realized I was shaking. He begins to worry . “ Suzy, what’s wrong with you ? Are you okay?  “ he keep asking me to get my attention. I touch his hand on my shoulder and look at him. He got quiet. I stare into his eyes and he waited for me to talk. 

“ Have you heard any rumours about me? “ I ask. 

He looks confused as his forehead creased. “ What rumours? “ he asked. 

“ That Mr. Yang is dating Suzy “ someone said and we both turned to the said voice who’s walking down from the stairs. It was Taecyeon. 

I became ten times more anxious than I already was. I looked away and stood closer to Soohyun. Soohyun was sensing it as he pulls me closer. I tried to calm down. 

“ What do you mean? “ Soohyun asked Taecyeon. 

He shrugged. “ It’s been going on for weeks now. Some girls said they notice Mr. Yang is abnormally favouring over one student” he said. I could feel his eyes on me and I turned even more towards Soohyun’s chest. 

“ That’s such nonsense “ Soohyun laughs. 

Taecyeon replied with a laugh too. “ Yeah, but seeing how Mr. Yang is behaving, people can’t help but believing the rumour. It’s spread all over the school now, even to the teachers “ he said, he sound exasperated. 

“ You should’ve been careful “ he said , this time , I know it was said towards me. 

I remembered when we were dating, how he told me to stay away from Soohyun and Jonghyun. I felt sick that I was not allowed to be close to people I am comfortable with. This time, it’s Mr. Yang. I am confident I didn’t cross any boarders with Mr. Yang and so did he. People only made rumours and they created more stories from that that are untrue. 

I sudddenly feel annoyed that Mr. Yang and I are actually dragged into this mess other people created. 

“ Yang Ssaem and I are not dating” I insisted, still side-facing Soohyun’s chest. 

I could feel Taecyeon’s whole attention is on me now that I’ve spoken. “ I know but people- “ he stuttered a bit as he tried to reason with me. I’m sure he heard I sounded pissed. 

“ Well, I don’t care what people think. I didn’t cross anything with Yang Ssaem. We’re just teacher and a student.” I said, I finally looked at him straight in the eye and immediately regretted. 

Taecyeon looked sorry, misunderstood and embarrassed. 

I knew I misunderstood him and that he was only worried and looking out for me. He was always like that since before. It’s just the way he looks out for me doesn’t settle well with me . That’s why we were never meant to work out but I still feel those hopeful eyes from him in class and whenever we bump or have to exchange some talk in class. I wish he would get it. I’m not someone he needs because I cannot give what he wants. 

I looked away, apologetic. “ Let’s go” I mutter to Soohyun and walk pass Taecyeon. 

 

 

“ How did the rumour even occur?” Soohyun asked once we got to our class level. I shook my head.  “ I don’t even know” I said quietly. 

I heard Soohyun sighed and I did too. He looked at me. 

“ Are you okay?” He asked. 

I was quiet. Am i? 

“ I don’t know….” I muttered under my breath, staring into space. 

“ Well ..” He trailed off. I know even he himself does not know what exactly we should do in this situation. 

“ I don’t want to go back to class” I blurted. 

He looked at me. 

I looked back to him. “ The kids are talking about me in class. I don’t think I can face them” I said, looking down. This has really affected me. 

“ It’s not your fault” he said, trying to calm me down. I appreciate it. I’m glad I bumped into him earlier. If I didn’t I bet I’ll lock myself in one of the bathrooms to hide myself. 

“ Let’s go “ Soohyun suddenly speaks. 

I look up to him with a confused face. “ Hm? Where? “ I ask. 

He didn’t say anything and took my hand as we quickly ran down the stairs. 

 

 

We are at the back of the school building. It’s a wide open area with some old desks and chairs. 

“ You want to climb over that? “ I ask as I look up at the tall wall. 

“ Yeah, like in the movies. Don’t you find it exciting ?” Soohyun said as he examines the wall. He almost look like a kid by the way his eyes glint as he inspect the wall. It’s so unusual. 

“ I didn’t know you had it in you to be breaking the school rules like this” I muttered as I look around in case we’ll get caught. At this time, the school gate is closed so the only way out is climbing over the walls —which I’ve seen Jiyeon and her friends do a lot because I was always the one who looked out for them back then. 

“ Well, for your information. I’m just a normal guy who hates school too, you know” he said without looking at me. I shrug. 

Soohyun walks to a tree that stood right next to the wall and hop on the tree branch and lifted himself up with his foot against the wall. It looks easy. 

But not for me. 

“ Come “ he said, holding out his hand for me as he rest on the wall. 

“ Soohyun. I’m wearing a skirt. It’s impossible” I said, exasperated. 

 “ I won’t look “ he said. 

Well, that wasn’t what I was actually implying but it made me blush as I look away. I didn’t want him to notice it. 

“ Quick , here “ he called out on me again and stretched out his hand more for me to take. I took it and he pulls me up easily with his other arm wrapped around my body to support my weight. Once I was on top of the wall with him, we were so close I could even hear and feel his breathing. My heart begins to beat fast. I could feel his eyes on me although I was looking down most of the time. His right hand is still on my waist and I don’t know if I should wiggle him off or mention it to him. Suddenly I feel sweaty under his touch. 

“ Stay still “ he said and I obeyed. He lets go of me and jumps off the wall. He dusts off his pants and looks up to me with his arms open. 

“ Okay, now jump “ he said. His expressions was direct. I couldn’t look past it. Whereas I’m super sure that I look like a nervous wreck right now. 

This is like a movie. I thought. 

“ Suzy, we don’t have the whole day “ he smiled and ushered me with his hand for me to jump. 

I hesitated for a few seconds before making my jump. I didn’t realize I was holding out my arms because when I landed , he caught me and I was hugging him. I closed my eyes for a few moments until I heard his chuckles vibrates through my whole body. Then, I realized. His face is right beside mine. I gulped and quickly tries to get off of him. 

I dusted my skirt after I got off of him and busied myself by touching my hair non stop although it was already in place. I saw Soohyun’s ears grew red too but he tried cooling it off. 

“ Let’s get away from school first “ he said. 

 

 

We got to a fried chicken restaurant near the intersection. The worker side eyed us because we entered wearing our school uniforms but we feigned ignorance. We settled for the farthest table where not many can see us in case we bump into anyone we know. 

“ I need food. Thank God” I said as I flip through the menu for some add ons. Then I realized I left my purse inside my bag in the classroom. I look up to Soohyun with a panic look but he just leans back on his chair. 

“Relax. I got money” he said. I sigh in relief. As I look over the menu, I glance at him and he caught it. 

“ What? “ he asks. 

“ Can I order a lot? “ 

Soohyun laughs. My heart jumps because he looks so freaking attractive and because he was laughing for me. 

“ Sure, Suzy. Order as much as you want” he said with remaining chuckles which are now my favourite music. 

We ordered and waited. I didn’t know what to do as it got quiet again and I feel awkward. I do feel Soohyun’s gaze is on me. He seems to look at me a lot. It bothers me every time because I don’t know how to respond. Should I look back? Should I ask him ? 

Before my mind makes up what to do, he spoke. “ Did you.. “ he goes. I look up for him to continue but he was hesitating. He leans back on his chair and sighs out loud. I became confused and curious. What does he want to talk about? 

Could it be… he found out about me moving? 

I hope not. I’m not ready to talk about it to another person, especially him, again. I’ve talked about it a lot ever since I received the news. I’m getting sick of it. 

“ What? “ I ask, acting like I don’t really care and our drinks arrived. I quickly took a sip as I was nervous. 

He looks again at me, with his deep deep gaze and I begin to sweat like I always do. 

“ Did you get.. my message? “ he finally asks. 

I stop sipping. I don’t know what he’s talking about. What message? 

“ Huh? “ I replied. 

“ The message.. “ he mutters, not looking at me. 

“ Soohyun, I don’t get it. What message? “ I ask. 

“ The one I sent you “ he replied short and quick, but still —he wasn’t looking at me. Is he shy? Embarrassed? 

I tried thinking about his message. “ Uhh, which one? “ I ask. I begin to rummage through my pockets to get to my phone but he stopped me. “ No. Don’t” he said. 

“ What do you mean don’t ?  I need to check because I literally have no idea what you’re talking about “ I said and swiped open my phone and went to my messages. The last time we messaged was way before the school festival. There’s no new ones. 

“ There’s no message. What are you on about? I didn’t get any “ I said, pointing out our conversation to him. He looked at it and his forehead scrunched up as he got confused too. 

“ Nevermind then “ he said, reaching out to his untouched drink and sipping it. 

“ What was the message about “ I ask , out of curiousity. 

He looks away. “ Nothing important” he said but I somehow think it really was important. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

a/n 13 april 2018

hey guys! i cant promise daily updates but i'll try updating a few times a week! tq so much for your warm comments on my last chapter. here's some hyunzy moments and the next chapter is gonna be about YANG SSAEM. 

now you know he is Beast/Highlight Yoseob lol. 

QUESTION OF THE STORY : do you think Yang Ssaem likes Suzy?