Wishes

Never stopped loving you
 
Sojin POV 
 
"Ow!" I exclaimed, pulling my finger to my mouth to ease the stinging sensation. My eyes drifted across the room, anxiously landing on the brown oak door separating me from the hall. The silence that hung in the air only seemed to add to my worry. Just because the house was empty it doesn't guarantee that no one will come prancing through those doors any minute. And too much preparation has gone into this for it all to go out the window because of my complete and utter carelessness. 
 
I brushed off the slight pain pulsing from my fingers and continued with the task at hand. My fingers fumbled over the cap of the glue as I struggled to paste the photos down thanks to the numerous bandages covering the paper cuts I'm sporting. Again, all this effort could go to waste. And with that in mind I diligently finished glueing together the bits and pieces, successfully finishing the project I had so carefully planned.
 
After insuring that it was safely tucked away in its box underneath my queen sized bed, I started to clear away the never ending mess which was responsible for the lack of floor space I had in my spacious room.    
 
Just as I had placed the last paper scrap into the bin, the door swung open revealing a very happy Dongwoo. I let out a small sigh of relief that I had the timing right, thankful that my surprise wasn't ruined. 
 
"Minnie!" He exclaimed, his arms open wide cueing me to run into them. A smile found its way onto my face at the sound of his nick name he made for me just because of the headbands we bought at the amusement park. The name wasn't something I fancied at first but I guess over time it grew on me. 
 
"I haven't seen you all day!" He pouted pulling away from me before planting a soft kiss on my forehead. "Geez, you make it sound like it's been a year." I rolled my eyes but leaned on my tippy toes, capturing his lips into mine.
 
He broke the short yet sweet kiss, grinning from ear to ear as he weaves his long slender fingers with mine. We slowly left the room and headed downstairs to where everyone was gathered around the dining room table. 
 
"Sojin! I'm so glad you're here. I haven't finished my assignment and it's due tomorrow!" Sungyeol exclaimed shoving several crumpled pieces of paper in my face. Before I could even give him a lecture about procrastinating and relying on me to complete it, the towering boy was shoved aside by a panic stricken Sungjong. 
 
"Noona, I don't understand this problem!" I stared at him in disbelief, "And you're asking me to help you?" I scoffed, pointing a finger at myself. He contemplated about this for a while before glumly trudging away, muttering something about how I would always help Dongwoo and not him. 
 
It was true though. Despite the fact that he was in the grade above me and that we both at math, constant study dates were a tradition after school. It was a newly found excuse to share some alone time without being disturbed by a certain group of jealous boys. 
 
"Come on Jagiya, I'll walk you to work."
 
"No! I want to walk her! You're with her every second of the day. And I'm not exaggerating."
 
"Well get a girlfriend then, I don't like sharing."
 
Exactly my point. 
 
I pulled the pouting Woohyun away from Dongwoo, which only caused the latter to grin in triumph, and swiftly walked away from the scene. "I'll be back by dinner tonight!" I called out, grabbing my bag which was sitting on the couch. "And don't you think about following me Dongwoo, you still have your essay to complete by tonight." I sternly said not even bothering to turn around because the halt of heavy footsteps already said enough.
 
"Oh and bring me back some of that cheese cake I really like Sojin!" I rolled my eyes and waved my hand tiredly in the general direction of Hoya before slipping out the door. 
 
Although it was well into the after noon, the sun had already taken hiding behind the numerous clouds dancing in the sky. I wrapped my jacket tightly around my petite frame and embarked on the  small journey, although this time the tiny café shop wasn't one of the stops. 
 
A small smile unconsciously made its way onto my face once the familiar sound of tinkling bells cut through the air signaling a new arrival in the store. I briefly greeted the lady behind the counter before the cute packaging of different chocolates and candies caught my attention.
 
My finger gently traced the wrappers before it stopped at a packet of small uniquely shaped treats. I gently picked it up and examined the variety of chocolate pieces within the bag. Deeming that it was perfect for the project I had planned, I made no hesitation in paying the expensive sum to the lady before happily exiting the store. 
 
I looked down at the scribbled down items on the crumpled list and crossed off chocolates, stuffing it back into my pocket once I determined what the most convenient item to get next was. And with that I made my way down the almost empty side walk heading towards the grocery store. 
 
Dongwoo POV
 
'BEEP BEEP'
 
"Turn it off..." I groaned, rolling over while pulling the covers over my head to block out the constant ear piercing sound. When the beeping didn't cease I cautiously peeked through my blanket only to immediately regret the action once a familiar face came into view.
 
"Go away Woohyun!" I instinctively took the pillow which was supporting my head and threw it in the general direction of the intruder. Just as the soft thud of the pillow hitting the floor sounded through the room, the mattress sunk down as six overly friendly boys jumped on me. 
 
"Yah! Whoever is on my foot, please stop it." I pleaded trying to refrain myself from throwing them off the bed. "Please get off me!"
 
Their actions came to a halt, the giggling which once filled the air and especially my ear, stopped. 
Normally my endless begging would go unnoticed by them and only seemed to silently encourage them to continue pursuing whatever evil deed they were committing. Which is why I was left completely baffled when they gave up annoying me after only two of my attempts to stop them.
 
I squinted my eyes as the sunlight seeped through my curtains. Slowly adjusting to the light, I could just make out the shadowy figures standing by my bed. Sungyeol stepped forward, a small yet noticeable smirk was plastered on his face, "Is that how you thank your wonderful friends for coming in to wake you up?"
 
"Pfft, anything but wonderful..." I muttered. I scanned them with suspicious eyes before they zeroed on a few colored objects they were holding. 
 
All their expressions mirrored Sungyeol's as they lifted up their hands to reveal multi colored balloons. 
"I'm guessing those aren't filled with air right?"
 
They all gave each other a knowning look before turning back to me "Nope." They shrugged with dark smiles, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY DONGWOO!" They shouted, hurling the numerous balloons at me. 
 
---
 
"So hyung, has Sojin done anything for you today?" Hoya asked as we walked the usual path towards our school. After being rudely woken up this morning by rowdy boys with what I thought was water balloons, but actually turned out to be slime. Gooey lime green slime. What a great start to my birthday. And to top it up Sojin - who I was expecting to be the first one to greet me this morning- hasn't materialized in front of anyone today.
 
"Dongwoo Hyung!"
 
"What? Sorry." I mumbled before kicking a stone down the path. He let out a sigh, stuffing his hands into his jeans pocket. "You've been like this ever since you read the note left by Sojin."
 
He had a point. After I had managed to wash all the slime out, I stumbled down the stairs in hope of finding Sojin, only to find in her place on the dining table a note quickly scribbled on one of her pink sticky notes. With a heavy heart I just accepted the fact that Sojin wasn’t going to walk to school with us on my birthday. 
 
"I know you're disappointed Dongwoo." He said placing his hands on my shoulders causing me to face him. 
 
 
“Don’t be. Women work in weird ways. They like to lead people on, you know, play innocent all the time.” I raised my eyebrow at his comment. “And you of all people know this, how?” 
 
“You’ll take what I give you.” He shot me a look then his heel, continuing to walk. “What I’m trying to say is that, Sojin probably has something up her sleeve and just wants to mess around with your pretty little head.” 
 
I took what he said into account. Sojin was always one for surprises. One week anniversaries aren’t commonly celebrated amongst couples as opposed to first year anniversaries. Which was why when she came home after work with a cake baked with her own hands and a small gift wrapped with a bow to top it, I was really lost for words.  
 
“Yeah you might just be right.”
 
---
 
I let out another sigh and leaned my head on the table, drawing much unwanted attention from the boys as we sat around the picnic tables outside. 
 
“What’s wrong with him? I thought that birthdays were his favorite time of the year. You know the cake, the presents, the girls.” Myungsoo said pointing his thumb in my direction. 
 
All five boys hummed in agreement except for one who was sniggering at the end on the bench beside me. “Yeah his girl is the problem” Hoya chuckled slapping his hand on my back in what seemed to be more of a teasing pat rather than an encouraging one. “You would’ve thought that after his ‘single’ status went out the window that his girl problems would as well.” 
Woohyun’s ears perked up at the sound of girl problems and instantly rushed to my side; shoving Sunggyu out of the way despite the latter’s whines of protest. “And Woohyun is in the house, what’s up?” He asked pulling a voice to mimic one of a TV presenter. 
 
I slowly turned my head to face him and let out yet another sigh, “Sojin forgot about my birthday…” 
 
His and everyone’s shoulders slumped in disappointment, thinking that my constant sighing was about something more important and worth moping around for. 
 
“Dude it’s only 11 hours into the day, you still have another 13 more, Chill.” Sungyeol exclaimed placing his elbows on the table.“You’re acting like she dumped you, which I don’t see why she hasn’t when there is someone like me available, but that’s beside the point. My singleness is not a topic to be discussed. Obviously the time hasn’t come yet and no girl has been able to see my awesomeness-“
 
“And if you keep talking like that, that’s what you’re going to be for the rest of your life; friendless and loveless.” Hoya remarked cutting the younger short of his rant.
 
“If you guys aren’t going to say anything worth my time then don’t say anything at all.” I grumbled lifting my head up from the table only to see Sojin staring at me with raised eyebrows.
 
“Ok…” she shrugged off my rudeness and squeezed in between Woohyun and I successfully kicking Sunggyu off the bench. “Next time I’m sitting alone”  He mumbled dusting off his pants before slotting himself on the seat opposite us. 
 
“So what was this you were talking about before?” She asked pulling out an apple from her bag. Noticing our, especially my, hard stares her chewing slowed and she tilted her head to the side, confusion evident on her face. “What?” 
 
With a small pout I softly muttered, “Did you forget something?” Just as the words flew out of my mouth she clicked her fingers and scavenged through her back pack. A wide smile grew on my face and I was so sure my heart had leaped out of my chest. I knew she would’ve never forgotten an important date like this.
 
But once the disappointing sight of a red apple appeared in front of my face, I came crashing back down to earth. Through the thumping of my heart I could just barely make out the soft calling of my name coming from Sojin’s lips as well as laughing on the boy’s part. 
 
“Oh thanks.” I meekly smiled taking the fruit with two hands. Sojin brightly smiled, her eyes turning into crescents as she took a bite of her apple. 
 
Wiggling his eyebrows at me, Hoya jabbed his elbows into my ribs a knowing smirk playing on his lips. My eyes turned to slits but before I could nudge him back, Sojin let out a soft gasp and abruptly stood up. 
 
“I almost forgot!” she exclaimed, eyes wide open. I turned to the others and gave them a smile as though to say ‘I told you so’, then pulled out my hand expectedly. “I have to see my teacher.” She quickly checked her wrist watch and her eyes doubled in size, “I’ll make it if I run. Bye guys!” She yelled throwing her bag over her shoulder before making a dash towards the building.
 
My hand dropped along with the only remaining hope that my girlfriend would say anything to me. Heck, I didn’t even get the chance to give her a kiss today. “Love you too” I softly whispered to myself, sighing. I tend to be doing that a lot now days. 
 
---
 
“Don’t forget about your assignment!” The teacher yelled, her voice competing with the sound of students fighting their way through the door. “Hey Dongwoo, you want to come play soccer with us?” Daesung, a classmate of mine, asked pointing in the general direction of his friends. 
 
Immediately thinking of Sojin, I denied the offer and continued on my way towards the tree behind the intimidating heights of the school buildings. Just when I stepped out of the crowded corridor and into the fresh air of the school garden, my phone went off. 
 
I pulled it out and opened it up to a text message from Sojin. 
 
From: My Minnie
Oppa! Come to the rooftop, I have something to tell you~
 
 With a happy heart I slid back into the crowd and let myself get pushed around until the stairs, I frequently use to access the rooftop, came into view. A wide grin was stuck on my face and I waited no longer before pushing the door open. 
 
“Sojin!” I called while rubbing my hands together to try and warm them up. “Sojin- AH” I screamed just as two cold hands came over my eyes. I squirmed around and tried to swat the icy fingers, which were blocking my vision, away.
 
“You’re too easy” her tinkling laughter rang in my ears as she removed her hands from my face. My lips tugged in a firm line as I was just about to argue against her comment before her text message came into mind. 
 
“So what was it you wanted to show me?” I asked trying to remain calm. My comment sparked something and she immediately stopped giggling and pulled something out from her pocket. What came out surprised me – a rose…?
 
“I don’t know what to say…” I began and leaned forward to try and hold the flower in my frozen hands. Just as I was inches away from touching the surprising gift, she pulled back with a hearty laugh. “This guy named Junhyung gave this to me. Isn’t he sweet?” 
 
My mouth flew agape at this and I instantly folded my arms with furrowed brows. “Who is this Junhyung guy and what is he to you?” I asked mentally burning a hole into the red flower.  She chuckled “Like I said you’re too easy.” She shook her head and waved the rose around. “I found this in the morning.” She started staring at the flower in amusement.
 
“It was the only thing growing in the middle of snow. Remarkable isn’t it?” I hummed a response and tried to find what she was staring at. “Here.” I felt her open my clasped hand and placed the rose on it. “It’s so you remember to stay strong like the rose. Keep fighting for what you believe in!” She stepped back with a grin. 
 
“Now you can think of me during your math’s test!” I frowned suddenly remembering the test I was having in the next period and silently cursed under my breath. “You can thank me later.” She exclaimed and quickly ran out the door leaving me dumbfounded. 
 
When realization finally hit that she had left I sprang into a sprint and chased after her. “YAH!”
 
---
 
I twirled the rose in my fingers as my thoughts went back to what had happened earlier. Having captured Sojin before she got too far, we decided to ditch the daily hang out with the boys by the tree and had a little alone time walking around the school. Having done so, I completely disregarded the fact that she might have forgotten my birthday and let it slide. After all humans are humans and we all make mistakes.
 
My thoughts, however, were interrupted by Sungyeol, who somehow during the time I was day dreaming had managed to make his way beside me. “Wow! Of all the things to receive, you got a plant” he scoffed sarcasm dripping from his words.  
 
“Hey, I happen to really like this present. It was the best thing I’ve gotten all day.” I claimed pulling the rose to my chest. His hand flew to his chest in mock hurt as if what I had said was the most ridiculous thing ever. “Better than the pair of sneakers I got you?” 
 
My eyebrows rose at this and I shot him a look as though to say ‘You’ve got to be kidding me.’
“Sungyeol, those were my sneakers.” He raised his hands in the air, standing up “You don’t have to thank me.” 
 
Before I could reason with the choding, my eyes landed on an envelope sitting in the place of Sungyeol. “What is this?” I asked picking up what seemed to be a letter addressed to me. Sungyeol came closer to where I was and peered at it. “It’s a letter addressed to you.” 
 
I rolled my eyes “No Sherlock.” My curiosity got the better of me and without hesitation, ripped the envelope open. 
 
As I stared at the message a warm smile lit up on my face. “A love letter I see” Myungsoo smirked as he walked past giving me a wink. 
 
“Oh I want to see!” Sungyeol exclaimed and reached down to grab it, instead his hand clutched the air as I moved just in time. “I have to go, I’m 15 minutes late” I said before making a mad dash towards the door. 
 
---
 
I stopped outside the familiar café Sojin works at. Pressing my hands against the glass door, I peered into the dark store in search for any movement. My hand rested on the cold door knob as I contemplated about going in. Concluding that Sojin had brought me here to merely pick her up and not pull some sort of prank on me, I pushed the door open.
 
“Sojin, are you here?” I asked. I took small, cautious steps so as to not bump into any decorations she might have put up for my surprise party. “Sojin…” 
 
The place was so quiet the only thing I could hear was my heavy breathing. That was until I walked into a table, everything after that happened so quickly. I cursed as I bent over to rub the soreness in my foot away, but just as my hand had touched my foot, the lights flickered on revealing a cute girl in an apron. My cute girl in an apron. 
 
"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" Sojin yelled, her arms waving around. Her sudden appearance took me by surprise and due to my off balanced position, I fell backwards hurting my rear end in the process. 
 
"Ow-""Happy Birthday to you. Happy birthday to you~" She sung clapping her hands to the beat. 
 
"Can you help me up?"
 
"Happy birthday dear Dongwoo!"
 
"Sojin?"
 
"Happy birthday to you! YAY!" She cheered and started to jump around. "Sojin, a little help here." I called raising my hand. 
 
"Oh, right!" She muttered and rushed to help me up. Dusting off my pants I turned to her, a wide smile playing on my lips "You remembered" I softly said wrapping my arms around her. Her hands rubbed my back in a circular motion "I never forgot."
 
We stayed in that position just simply enjoying each other's presence. After what seemed like eternity she pulled back and playfully slapped my arm. "Now don't think I called you down here to party or anything. I was being serious in that note when I said I needed help carrying the boxes into the back." She pulled her lips into a firm line and bent down beside her, picking up a heavy looking box.
 
My eyes shifted to the stacks of produce there was behind her, something I didn't pick up on due to my eventful entrance. "You're kidding right? Don't you have workers or something that does this?"
 
She raised an eyebrow, shoving the box into my hands. The small box took me by surprise causing me to bend forwards to try and handle the weight of it. Sojin shot me a look, obviously concerned at my lack of strength, "You're looking at that person."
 
My mouth formed the shape of an 'o' and I nodded "If you were able to do this before, why do you need me now?" I asked as I shifted my hands on the box to get a better grip. Unfortunately for me there were no handles or cut out holes for me to grip on, so I could only manage by sliding my hands beneath it and lifting it from there. And much to my luck my hands were still sweaty from when I had been almost scared to death by the cute girl in an apron.
 
"Well I thought that since I now have a boyfriend I should put him to work" she grinned tapping the box, "Now get a wriggle on, these boxes won't move themselves." I rested the box on one knee and lifted my hand to salute her before picking it up and walking to the storage room which was located beside the toilets.
 
I followed her, weaving through the tables until we reached a door with white paint peeling off the surface of it. She jiggled her key through the small hole in the handle before giving the door a few small kicks successfully unlocking the door. She looked over her shoulder at me and giggled before pushing the door open with all her might. 
 
“Just place that box in the far corner over there” She pointed then disappeared behind a wall of boxes. What I thought was just a storage room was actually a mountainous range of boxes and boxes of produce. It amazed me that such a small coffee shop could use all this produce before it expired. 
 
That being said after a few steps I lost my orientation and forgot which corner was the one Sojin had pointed to. With a sigh I slowly started to walk while continuously moving box after box to clear space for me to walk. 
 
If only I knew which way Sojin walked. 
 
The routine slowly started to grow on me; take a few steps then move boxes, take another few steps and move more boxes. It was only a matter of time, and boxes, before I had finally found something. No, it wasn’t that far corner I was instructed to go to, but it was a rather…friendly creature? 
 
“HOLY CRAP, SPIDER!” I shrieked once the furry being appeared from an open box I was about to move. I gulped trying to remain calm but failed once it started to crawl towards my shoe. Without further ado, I leaped over the box not caring about the others I crashed into in the process, and ran where my feet carried me. 
 
Just when I thought I was doing a good job at navigating myself without tripping over various neglected boxes, I misjudged the distance I had to jump to get over this one waist-high box and only realized it when I had come plummeting back down to the ground. 
 
“Ow! Seriously, Who leaves boxes that size lying around-" “Dongwoo?” I opened my eyes and found myself staring into Sojin’s worried ones. She held out her hand and with one pull, lifted me up cautiously so as to not knock over any more stacks of boxes. 
 
“You ok? What happened?” She asked scanning my body for any injuries. I sheepishly rubbed the nape of my neck, a deep shade of red coloring my cheeks. “Lets just say that there was a little accident” I chuckled putting emphasis on ‘little’. 
 
“You’re a klutz.” She muttered then took off down the narrow, indistinctive path through the storage area. “Where are we going…”My voice trailed off once we had stopped at a small cleared space in the middle of the room. “A picnic blanket…?” I stared at the checkered square blanket on the ground baffled. 
 
“Yep, come on sit down.” Sojin said pushing me towards it. “What’s this for?” 
 
“Your birthday.” Was the simple reply I was given. “My birthday…” I repeated causing Sojin to nod. “So…What’s next?” 
 
She beamed at me and reached over to the box left neglected by the blanket, which I was previously holding and pulled out a few plates and other necessary items. She then turned to the boxes behind her and took out different plates of food and set them down in between the two of us. 
 
“Y-You made all this?” I asked pointing to the pile of food. “Yeah so you better eat it all!” She said, holding a plate with perfectly rolled kimbap on it. 
 
“Say Ah!” She cheered and brought a small kimbap up to my lips, which I accepted without any hesitation. 
 
I savored the beautiful flavor which stuck to my taste buds, a soft sigh of pleasure coming from my mouth. I picked up my glass of soda and propped it to my lips, taking a small sip of it before placing it down. “Can I ask you something?” I asked
 
“Out of all the things to do and places to be,” I started while wiping the remaining liquid off my upper lip, “why a picnic in a cupboard?”
 
She scrunched her nose and wringed her hand out in front of her, "well, why not?" Too compelled by the beautiful array of sandwiches and small cakes in front of me, I couldn't find a good enough rebuttal and just merely agreed to it.
 
My eyes trailed her bright eyes down to her plump lips then down to her hands which were still gripped around the plate of kimbap. A small feeling of worry soon aroused in my stomach at the sight of the multiple bandages wrapped around her smooth hands. 
 
"What happened to your fingers?" I gushed reaching out to hold her hands only to have her retract them. "Oh that reminds me!" she snapped and turned around, lifting up a few cushions before clutching a small wrapped parcel. 
 
I gave her a questioning gaze as I held the rectangular shaped object covered in blue and silver wrapping paper. "Well," she urged gesturing to the gift "open it." I shot her one last uneasy look before ripping the wrapping paper open.
 
My eyes widened and my mouth fell agape at the sight. "Sojin..." I whispered softening at the thoughtful gift; a black, hard-cover book with gold engravings on the cover. 
 
My fingers gently traced the letters as a warm fuzzy feeling bloomed in the pit of my stomach. "Forever in love...Sojin and Dongwoo" 
 
Sojin's warm hand clasped over mine, her thumb rubbing against my fingers. I cautiously turned the pages making sure not to ever so slightly rip it. 
 
The first 5 pages were filled with every moment that has happened over the short month we have been together. Starting with a picture of Infinite crowded around the winning trophy from the dance competition with me giving Sojin a back hug. 
 
The page was decorated with a fancy border, the photo set in the middle with neat writing  covering the page. 
 
"One page for every week." 
 
Sojin flipped to the next page, "The rest of the pages are for us to write together. Just the two of us." She pulled out her Polaroid camera and held it up waiting a few seconds to get it in focus before clicking the button. 
 
We uncapped the lid of a nearby pen -who knew the boxes that could have simultaneously killed me would have actually been of use, the things you find in them- and started to record today's events. 
 
When we finished I closed the book and faced Sojin. "Thank you" I gave her a heart felt smile. "It was nothing" she humbly admitted a pink blush forming on her cheeks. 
 
"But your hands..." I mumbled feeling guilty about how she spent her time creating this scrapbook from scratch while slicing off half of her skin in the process. 
 
"I did it because I love you." My heart thumped loudly in my ears and I couldn't help but smile widely like a fool. "Come on and eat." She pushed some of the food in front of me successfully making my mouth water at the sight. 
 
Without a second thought I reached over and picked up a small cupcake with the letter 'H' on it.
But before the delicate delight could reach my lips Sojin's hand swooped up and swiftly snatched it away.
 
"Just one second." She placed the cupcake back down and turned around, scavenging through the  box. "AHA!" Soon I was staring at a line of pink frosted cupcakes each with a letter to spell out 'Happy Birthday Dongwoo!'
 
"Ok make a wish." She smoked after she finished singing Happy Birthday to me for the second time. At her command I closed my eyes and started to think long and hard about what I should wish for. 
I had everything I ever wanted; my dancing dream up and running with my best friends as colleagues, and the perfect girl I could ever hope for. What else could I want...? Wishing for our relationship to last would only mean that I don't trust her. I believe our love is infinite without the help of one birthday wish. 
 
With an imaginary light bulb going off, I pressed my hands together and repeated the words that had formed in my mind. 
 
I wish for Sojin to get accepted into Woolim. 
 
I opened my eyes and looked at Sojin. Then as if we both were speaking through our eyes we both slowly leaned in. Our lips met and just like how it was when I confessed that stormy night, fireworks went off while the butterflies twirled in my stomach. My arm s tightly around her waist and pulled her closer. 
 
She is the best gift I could ever ask for. 
 
 
---
 
A/N:
 
MERRY CHRISTMAS~
 
 
I hope you all have a nice and relaxed holiday! Stay safe and have fun! Keep those carols playing (especially the KPOP ones), and let's enjoy the gift of giving.
Thank you all for supporting this story, it always makes my day. So because of that, this is my gift to you. Have a very Merry Christmas!
 
xoxo,
Michellez_014