Chapter Thirty eight

Faking Innocence

Taeyang smiled as he looked at his text from Minzy, it was another picture of wedding decorations. Though he knew his opinion didn’t matter, he still answered letting her know they were just as nice as the last few she sent him. Grinning he sighed before shoving his phone into his pocket. 

Quietly he made his way into the graveyard, with a bouquet of flowers in hand. Inhaling deeply he stepped up to the grave, laying the flowers down while getting onto his knees. “Mr. Gong I’ve come to ask for your niece’s hand.” He paused as he thought more on what to say, “Youh know that I haven’t made the best decisions in my life...but I know that taking Minzy as my wife is the right decision.” Clenching his chest he exhaled, “Please give us your blessings and I promise you that I will love her with all my being and be the father that my son needs.” Gazing up to the sky he begged with all his heart that Mr. Gong would truly bless their marriage.

 

Taeyang knew this wouldn’t be as easy as he approached the door. Pressing the button, he looked up into the camera and heard the door buzz. Pulling open the door he made his way into the building to see various guys standing around in black suits. His appearance hushed the men as they all stared at him.

”What are you doing here man,” Top asked as he stepped out towards him. 

“I...need to talk to your brother,” Taeyang firmly spoke. Standing still, he watched as his friend shrugged and turned to lead him further down the hall.

Before entering, Top turned and gave him a half grin, “My brother can read right through the bull  so just be honest with him.”

”Thanks,” he nodded before entering. Fairly impressed by the multiple flat screens that aligned his walls. “How many TVs do you need?”

”It’s for me to know, but that’s not why you’re here,” Se7en spoke as he turned to face him. “What is it that you need?”

”I would like to ask for your blessing to take Minzy’s hand in marriage,” he quickly blubbered.

Se7en sat with no expression as he quietly thought on Taeyang’s words, “Why would you want my blessing?”

”It is only right, seeing as you are basically family to her even if you’re not blood related,” he replied.

”And what if I tell you no? Does my opinion still matter,” Se7en continued to ask.

”Why would you say no,” he frowned.

”Are you truly deserving of her,” Se7en asked dismissing his question. “Do you know how much pain you’ve caused her? How do I know it’s not one of your sick games you and my brother play on women?”

”It’s not...”

”It’s not? So Dara isn’t a victim of one of your sick games?”

”Why are you bringing that up now? You didn’t have a problem with me being with her before,” Taeyang fires back.

But Se7en wasn’t having any of it as he drove his fist into his desk, “Don’t you see that Minzy isn’t one that play games with people’s hearts. She loves hard with everything! I...” Se7en huffed. “I was okay with you dating but marriage?! That is asking for too ing much!” 

“Besides me being a player is there any other reason you see me unfit to marry her,” Taeyang calmly asked. 

Sighing Se7en shook his head, “Besides that I think you’re a ing little boy with unrealistic expectations.”

“How so?”

”Think about it dip , Minzy is ing dying whether we like to acknowledge it or not. The real thing that Minzy needs from you right now isn’t your support of her wedding decor, it’s the support of knowing that you’ll be the father that little Tae needs for the life that she won’t get to spend with him. I’ve seen your sister spend more quality time with lil Tae than you when it’s your turn to take care of him. Is that the future that Lil Tae will have? Seeing his father go mope and cry over his dead mom while he is stuck being raised by your sister?!” Taeyang knew he was going to get an ear full from Se7en, but he wasn’t really prepared for the fires shot at him. They struck him deep to the core as he stood speechless. “So if I were you, I’d go back to the drawing table and see what I have to offer because as of right now it looks like ,” Se7en dumped it all on him.

Trying to compose himself, he found it hard to reply back, "So...what would you have me do? I mean...I love her..."

Se7en coughed a laugh as he shook his head, "You love her or do you obsess over her?" He could see the confused look on Taeyang's face and he further explained, "First find out what love is before you try to make such a ing jump into marriage."

"I know what love is," Taeyang defended himself.

"Oh yeah? What is it," Se7en challenged him.

"It's always being there for that person and...and not letting them down," Taeyang tried to say confidently. 

But Se7en wasn't impressed as he mockingly clapped his hands, "Great try." Sighing he stood up and walked past him towards the door, "Follow me." Taeyang was quick to follow suit as he watched various men stand and straighten up as they made their way out. "Top come with us. The rest of you I expect to be doing security checks.

"Yes sir," was sounded in unison as they walked out of the building and into a black limo. 

Top gave a curious look over at Taeyang to which he shrugged off. The ride was quiet as each of them were consumed in their own thoughts. "Top wait here. let's go," Se7en said to Taeyang as they made their way out of the limo. Exhaling deeply Taeyang felt his chest tighten as he realized where they were. Following quietly behind Se7en he felt his hands start to tremble and his heart start to pound. Stopping in his tracks, Taeyang stood next to Se7en as they over looked Mr. Gong's grave, "I'm guessing those flowers are from you?" To which Taeyang nodded, "Well at least you did something right." 

"Did you want me to ask for Mr. Gong's permission," Taeyang asked. 

Se7en shook his head and nodded to the spot next to it, "There look at that spot, we came to look at that spot right there." 

"Why," Taeyang softly asked as his heart began to pound harder.

"Taeyang don't ask stupid ing questions," Se7en hissed. "We both know what that is, that's Minzy's slot." 

"Why would you show me that," Taeyang asked offended and hurt.. 

"Because you need to see it, you need to prepare for it. It's coming faster than both you and I want it to," Se7en's voice grew softer. "Minzy has been out running the bands of death for basically her whole life. She can't out run it forever..."

"So what do you want me to do? I love her..."

"Then ing act like it," Se7en growled as he squared up with him. "Be a ing man that she needs."

"I'm trying to, this wedding..."

"Is a distraction from the truth," he cut in. 

"Then tell me what to do," Taeyang heaved out of frustration. 

"From one man to another love should never be forced. Cut the bull and learn to love her," Se7en simply said. 

"I feel like I'm doing it already," Taeyang fired back.

"She's dying man..."

"Why do you keep saying that?! I know that," Taeyang snapped as he clenched his fists. 

Se7en pressed his index finger against his temple, "You know that..." to which he led it to his chest, "But do you feel that? Loving someone takes more than knowing it, you have to feel it." 

"I promise you without a doubt I know and feel so much love for Minzy I just can't...I just can't..." his chest tightened as he glanced over to Minzy's burial plot. 

"You just can't what," Se7en prodded.

"I just can't accept the fact that she's leaving me," Taeyang finally released the words he feared. "I want to love her till her dying day. I love her and value her more than life itself. It's because of her that I can face you and beg you for her hand so that I can love her and be the shield to protect her." 

"That's nice," Se7en said unfazed by Taeyang's sincerity. 

"What more do you want to hear," Taeyang grumbled out of frustration. 

Se7en shrugged as he stood staring at the grave before him, "I don't know, but I'm not convinced just yet." 

Defeated as he fell to his knees, Taeyang looked to the graying skies as he felt the tears of frustration building. Gazing before him, he stared at the cold ground before him. Imagining the day of when Minzy would be laid to rest here. The mere thought made his chest tighten, seeing her casket along with their son standing motherless and wondering what was going on. Everything Se7en had said was right as his hot tears streamed down his face. Crying out loud he saw just how hard his future would be without her. 

 

Numb and cold, he lay in bed exhausted, but he couldn't sleep. Too tired to toss or turn, he lay quietly staring out at nothing. Ever since he returned from the grave he had been a crying mess. Sighing as another tear strayed from his eyes, he replayed his day over and over in his mind. Huffing he reached for his phone and decided to book a flight.