Chapter Thirty

Faking Innocence

Taeyang did his best to keep a smile on his face as he stared at his fiancé getting her nails done. She looked so happy and he wanted to keep it that way as she flashed him a bright smile. “This has been the best weekend I’ve ever had.”

“Oh yeah,” he gave her a half grin.

She nodded as she came by his side, “Yes! I’ve only dreamt of living a life like this.”

“Well I’m glad you’ve enjoyed it babe,” he said as he slung his arm around her.

Bom sighed as she nuzzled up against him, “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” he lied.

“Are you upset that I requested to meet your parents? Ever since I asked you about them you’ve seemed distant.” Stopping she gazed up at him, “If you feel that strongly about them, then we don’t have to do it.”

He grinned as he cupped the side of her face, “Are you saying we should just pick up and leave?”

She nodded happily, “As much as I enjoy being pampered, I’d like to go back home to where I belong.”

Her words made his chest tighten, “You don’t feel comfortable here?”

“I didn’t say that! I feel very comfortable, but this isn’t my reality,” she frowned. “You know where I come from and how I came to be. It’s very humble compared to all this.”

Taeyang knew it was now or never as he pulled away from her. Glancing at the nail lady making her exit, he turned his attention back to her, “Bom I haven’t been totally honest with you.” She stayed silent, allowing him to continue, “This is what I’ve grown up with my entire life. I’ve been rich my entire life. I went abroad after I had a bad break up and traveled all over the world trying to forget her. But she was like a plague following me in my head wherever I went.” He paused as he took her hands in his, “But then I met you. You brought me out of my slump. You showed me how to live again, that I could live without her and I’m forever grateful to you for that…”

“But…” Bom cut in as she pulled her hands away from his.

Inhaling deeply he gazed into her eyes, “I can’t give you what you want in life. I…we…can no longer be together.” As expected the tears began to spill from her eyes and he couldn’t help but clench his fists from reaching out. “I’m sorry I led you to believe in a fantasy. You see my life is not my own. I can’t give love as freely as I thought I could.”

“Let me guess, your parents don’t approve of me,” Bom mumbled through her tears.

“Yes,” Taeyang said honestly. “Unlike your family, my family has no concept of what love is.”

Bom cried as she held herself, “And what is love to you?”

He thought of her question and pondered it deeply, “I…I’m not so sure.”

Bom looked at him through her watery eyes, “Who is Ms. Gong to you?”

Her question caught him off guard, “Wha…what does she have to do with this?”

She coughed a laugh as she wiped at her tears, “It all makes ing sense!”

“What are you going on about? Bom this is about us?”

“There never was an us,” she pointed between them. “How could be an us when you were never over her? It’s not your parents that is stopping you. It’s yourself!”

“I don’t know what you’re saying. I’m telling you that my parents don’t want us together and yet you bring Minzy into this?!”

Bom grew silent as she continued to cry. Taking a deep breath to compose herself she sighed, “Then let’s go. Let’s forget about this place and go back to how things used to be.” It was Taeyang’s turn to grow silent as he sat as still as a statue. If he were to leave with her he could never come back. “Taeyang…” Bom’s voice called his attention. “Thank you for this weekend. I will be taking the next flight out and I don’t ever want to see you again.”

“Bom…”

“Please go Taeyang, I’ve heard enough,” she cried softly.

Raising to his feet, his heart broke for her. He knew this was the last time he would ever get to see her lovely face ever again, “Thank you for loving me even if I didn’t deserve it.” It was the last thing he said as he took his leave.

Driving down the various streets aimlessly, he sighed deeply, “Call Top.”

“Calling Top,” his car spoke right back.

“Hello?”

“Can I buy you a drink,” Taeyang asked as he drove.

“Right now?”

“Yeah, can you meet right now?”

Top sighed through the phone, “Sorry man I wish I could, but I’m working right now. Maybe afterwards?”

Taeyang frowned to himself, “C’mon man, she has you working on beautiful Sunday like today?”

“It’s the easiest shift, meaning easy money! How about you try something different with your and take your to church,” Top chuckled.

Taeyang laughed off his suggestion, “Are you trying to burn the church down?”

“You’re right, you better keep your away from the church before it burns to the ground,” Top teased. “I better go, can’t be on our phones while working. I’ll buy you a drink tonight.”

“Okay,” Taeyang sighed as he hung up. Taeyang didn't want to be completely wasted before getting together with Top, so he found himself mindlessly driving. Coming to a stop, he silently cursed himself as he got out the car. Shoving his hands into his pockets, he quietly walked around the corner and found the bench. Sighing as the memories of his past began flooding his mind, he took a seat. He had grown very fond of the bench from his past experience. He remembered finding himself sitting at this very bench for many hours. In a sense he took comfort knowing it was a place in the world he could go to find a peace of mind. A peace of mind he so desperately needed at the moment. Closing his eyes, he inhaled deeply as he tried to clear his mind. But to his dismay, his thoughts somehow traced back to Minzy. Hissing at his pathetic thoughts, he opened his eyes and wondered how he could be so heartless. Clenching his fists, he was in awe at himself. He had just broken off his engagement with Bom this morning and yet here he was thinking of another woman. Shaking his head, he hung it low at his hopeless self. "I'm ing cursed," he told himself outloud. He knew it was probably from all the hearts he had so effortlessly broken in the past. Now they were all catching up to him. Sighing he brushed off the thought and stood to his feet. Walking aimlessly down the street he found himself in front of the same church he stood at years ago.