Chapter Thirty-five

Faking Innocence

Taeyang stood with his head bowed in respect. Listening to the preacher speak words of wisdom on how life was so short. Seeing the casket of Mr. Gong being lowered to the ground, he couldn’t agree more. He glanced over to see Minzy fall onto her knees with their son standing by her side. Even if she had a big black hat and dark shades, he could see that she was in so much pain. Holding back to urge to go over and comfort her, he was glad to see their son wrap his arms around her neck for a warm embrace.

After the beautiful service, Taeyang quietly followed behind Minzy who was guiding their son to the car. “Thank you for coming,” Minzy sniffled as she turned to recognize his presence.

He nodded as he held his hands out, gladly accepting little Tae in his arms. It was the nick name Minzy gave their son to not confuse the two, “It was a privilege knowing him.”

Minzy nodded as she sighed, “I’m going out of town for a few weeks. Will you be able to manage taking care of our son?”

Taeyang was surprised that she had said the word “our”, it was the first time she’s ever recognized him in such a light since the truth came out months ago. He nodded as he squeezed his son, “Sure thing. When are you leaving?”

“This weekend. I have some important business I need to attend to in the U.S.,” she said.

“Okay,” he nodded.

“I’ll have everything prepared for you when you come and pick him up,” she said before turning her attention to little Tae. “C’mon baby we gotta go.”

“Love you little man,” Taeyang said planting a kiss onto their son’s forehead before placing the little boy into Minzy’s arms.

 

Taeyang sighed as he pulled up to the Gong mansion. There wasn't a guard in sight, which he was grateful for. He was able to gaze at the home and think to himself for a bit. He thought back to a few months ago where he learned that he had become a father. Mr. Gong had given him the chance to prove himself a man that day. Taking the bull by the horns, Taeyang forced his way into his son’s life. As expected Minzy was not having it, shutting down any suggestion or thought of her son with him. But as time would have it, she began to cave in. Allowing him to start taking their son out for a few hours at a time. It soon turned into him focusing all his time and efforts in being a father. Those efforts were rewarded during the roughest times of Mr. Gong’s sickness. Taeyang was able to spend his weekends with little Tae.

Walking up to the mansion front doors, he knocked and waited for it to open. Ringing the door bell, he knocked again as he glanced around finding it odd that there wasn’t a single guard around. Frowning when no one opened the door, he knocked again before pressing his ear to the door. He thought it odd that he couldn’t hear anyone. Sighing he turned the knob and found that it was open. “Hello,” Taeyang called out announcing his entrance. “Is anyone home?” Looking around as he walked further into the home, he heard faint crying. “Minzy,” he called out as he followed from where the sound was coming from. Rushing up the stairs as he was able to hear it was little Tae, he opened the door to a bedroom he assumed was Minzy’s. The crying grew louder as he dashed towards the closet and gasped seeing little Tae crying over his unconscious mother. “Minzy, Minzy are you okay,” he breathed as he scooped her into his arms.

Minzy’s eye lids fluttered open as she looked up at Taeyang in a daze, “Taeyang?”

“I’m going to call for help,” Taeyang said as he pulled out his phone.

“Call CL at my office,” she softly said as she shivered in his arms.

He didn’t ask any questions as he quickly did what was asked, “Hello…”

“Taeyang?”

“I…I need your help. It’s Minzy…” Taeyang mumbled as he held her tightly in his arms.

“I’ll be right there. Don’t call anyone else,” she instructed before hanging up.

He glanced down at Minzy who seemed to be losing consciousness again, “She’s on her way.”

“Thank you,” she whispered softly before passing out again.

Taeyang felt useless with Minzy lying on his lap unconscious. Nervously reaching out to their crying son, he tried his best to sooth him. “It’s okay, mommy will be okay.” Taeyang said to little Tae, unsure if he what he was saying was the truth.

“, get her onto the bed,” CL busted into the closet. Teddy and Jay quickly took over and scooped her up. Taking her onto the bed, Taeyang stood up with his son onto his feet. Rocking the crying boy, he watched as the twins began to set up an IV. Meanwhile Dara set up a vitals machine and oxygen tank. It was like clockwork as everyone went about working on Minzy. “Taeyang can you please take little Tae. We’ve got it from here,” CL said.

“Wha…what’s going on,” he asked as he continued to watch everyone scurry around Minzy.

CL sighed as she stepped in his way, “Please Taeyang, it’s not the time or place for this.”

Taeyang wanted nothing more than to argue back, but his restless son called for his attention. Giving in, he turned to leave. But before he could exit he turned to look back at Minzy, “I won’t let this slide so easily.”

CL sighed as she nodded, “I know.”

Taeyang walked his sobbing son down the stairs and into the living room. “Hey buddy she’s gonna be okay.”

“Mommy…mommy,” the little boy cried harder. “I want mommy!”

“Don’t worry, CL is gonna help mommy feel much better,” Taeyang cooed.

“Mommy…mommy can’t get better,” little Tae cried. “Mommy is sick.”

“What do you mean by that,” Taeyang asked.

“Mo…mommy said that she is really sick. Th..that’s why…she has to go…gggo away for a little bit,” little Tae stuttered.

Taeyang felt his chest tighten as he held his son tighter, “Well then we gotta be strong for Mommy okay? She’s gonna feel really bad if she sees you crying. Do we want mommy to see you crying?”

The little boy shook his head, “Nnn…no!”

“Good, we can’t let her see us cry okay,” Taeyang softly said as he wiped away his son’s tears.

 

“Taeyang,” Dara called over to him. “She wants to see you.”

He sighed as he walked his sleeping son over to Dara. Carefully placing him into her arms, he made his way up the stairs. Clenching and releasing his fists to calm his pounding heart, he repeated the words he told his son. “We can’t let her see us cry,” he whispered before he entered the room to see them all standing around Minzy laying on the bed.

“Give us a minute,” she said as she lay staring at Taeyang. Without a word, everyone filed out with CL being the last to give him an encouraging pat on the back before closing the door behind him. “Come in,” she softly gestured to the seat next to her bed. Taeyang instantly was by her side, taking her hand in his. The worry in his eyes made her give him a weak grin, “That look doesn’t suit you.”

“What’s going on,” he finally asked. “Are you okay?”

Minzy sighed as her eyes began to water, “Taeyang I’m scared.” The tears began to fall as she tried to squeeze his hand.

“What are you so scared of,” his eyes began to water with anticipation.

“Can you forgive me for being so selfish,” she asked seriously.

“Yes I can. Minzy can you please tell me what’s going on,” he asked again.

She sighed as she closed her eyes, “Taeyang I haven’t been completely honest with you. Remember when I told you I was sick before? Well the cancer came back.”

“What,” he cried in disbelief. “How long have you known?”

“The year before you came back,” she confessed.

“That was when I met Bom,” he thought out loud.

She nodded knowingly, “That was the plan. I wanted you to meet her, fall in love and never come back.”

“That’s harsh,” he scoffed through the tears.

“Watching you suffer with me is harsh,” she interjected.

“But then I wouldn’t have met my son,” he countered.

“But our son would be loved by these great friends I have as my family,” she revealed. “We would have saved each other from this moment of hardship.”

“So you’re going to just give up,” he spat.

Minzy shook her head, “Taeyang I’m not giving up. If I was I wouldn’t be heading to the U.S. for better treatment. I’m just giving you the reality of the situation.”

“So I’m just supposed to accept this?”

“No I’m letting you know that as a woman who loves you, this is my reality. I can’t promise you forever when my time may be shorter than expected,” she honestly answered.

Taeyang continued to cry as he stared down at her fragile state, “So you do love me?”

“Yes you dumb ,” she rolled her teary eyes. “I love you enough to have hoped for a better future than this.”

He scoffed at her heroine move, “Wow you are amazing. To let me go thinking I could get over something more powerful than death itself.”

“Shut up you hopeless romantic,” she said sarcastically. “You’re making me feel sick to my stomach.”

“You love it,” he teased as he puckered his lips at her. This action made them both chuckle, “You are a woman after all.”

“And you are a dumb of a man,” she sighed. She felt something press into her hand and looked to see a small box sitting in her palm. Eyeing Taeyang suspiciously, she wondered what was going on, “What the is this?”

“Doing what should have happened five, almost six years ago,” he replied.

“Taeyang…”

“Minzy,” he cut her off knowing she would find some excuse to stop him. “I ing love you! Okay? You need to hear that even if you don’t believe it. I love you and I want to be with you even if…even if it’s only for a short while. I want to make it work.” Opening the small box in her hand he gazed at her so lovingly, “Marry me .”

She laughed at his proposal, “You’re kidding me right?”

He knelt down on one knee and pressed her palm with the ring onto his chest, “No this is ing serious. No games, no lies, no more excuses. I love you enough to take a chance on our family’s future happiness.” Taeyang knew what her heart wanted to say, as he took her trembling hand and placed the ring upon it. “A promise is a promise and you’re promised to me and only me.”

“You’re hopeless,” Minzy sobbed as she gazed down at the sparkling ring on her finger.

“Hopelessly devoted to you,” he sighed as he pressed a kiss on top of her hand.