Chapter Twenty-six

Faking Innocence

Taeyang sat in awe as Minzy's uncle gazed at him. He didn't know what to say as he then looked to see Minzy abruptly stand to her feet startling everyone sitting around the table. Bowing deeply, she gazed to Taeyang's father before looking back to her uncle, "I apologize for my rudeness, but I need to leave." 

"Minzy you can't just leave," her uncle protested. 

Her gaze softened as she turned to her uncle, "Can we speak in private?" She gave a look to Taeyang's parents as if asking them as well before Hayi stood to her feet to the guests to another room. 

Meanwhile Taeyang stayed sitting in silence as he tried to process what had just been said. "Boy you really out did yourself this time. It's funny to see that you were trying to fight your fate as heir to my throne, yet in doing so fate found it's way into bringing you right where you belong," his father chuckled at the situation. 

"Son you chose well," his mother followed. 

It was funny to him that minutes before such revelation, his parents were totally against him seeing Minzy. Now it was as if they used her against him, "At least with Minzy it will not be forced or someone I see as profit." 

"Watch your tongue," his mother hissed. 

"My son just because you haven't seen the reality of the world around you, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Don't bank on the fact that Minzy's feelings run as deep as yours. If she's anything like her uncle she's just as ruthless and greedy as I am. In other words she's just like you. Whether you like to admit it, you're more like your old man than you think," his father smirked. 

"She's nothing like you think she is and don't you dare compare myself to you ever again," Taeyang growled as he rose to his feet and made his way towards the door. 

"Wait," he was caught by the wrist and pulled into a back hug. "Wait for me," Minzy whispered before tip toeing up to kiss the side of his neck. Releasing him just as quickly as she had caught onto him, she went back to bid her farewells to his family and her uncle. He waited just like she had asked, feeling a small hand intertwine with his to pull him towards the front door, "Let's go." 

Silence fell upon the couple as they drove away from his parent's home. Gripping the steering wheel tight, Taeyang tried to block out his father's harsh words. He hated the fact that his parents' words struck him deep within, but he would never truly admit that to them outloud. Sighing as he heard Minzy turn on the radio to begin humming to the tune of the song playing. Gazing in her direction, he saw her bobbing her head slightly as she stared out the window. It intrigued him that she didn't seem too fazed by what had happened at his birthday dinner party and reached out to take her closest hand to him in his. Lacing his fingers with hers as he glanced at the road to make sure they didn't die, he then glanced back to see her looking at him with a bright smile. 

He couldn't understand how carefree her smile seemed when he felt stressed as hell. But that's one of the many things he admired about her. She seemed to be the one laughing in the face of danger, while he usually stayed as far away as possible. "Thanks for coming out to dinner with me," he raised her hand up and pecked the back of her hand before giving it a gentle squeeze. "I don't think I would've lasted as long as I did or been as civil as I was if you weren't there." 

Minzy shrugged as she nodded, "I told you I would." 

"Thank you," he sincerely sighed as he turned his gaze back to the road. "This has been by far the best birthday I've ever had. Thank you for making this one a memorable one." Pulling up near Dara's house, he parked the car a ways to continue his praise. "I don't know how I can ever thank you." 

Minzy smiled as she leaned over and kissed his cheek, "Don't mention it." Pulling out her phone she looked to see that there were five minutes left of his birthday, "Five minutes left. What do you wanna do?" 

He thought about her question and grinned as an idea came to mind. Waving for her to come his way, she hesitantly moved in his direction to find him vigorously moving his hand for her to move closer. Matching his grin, she leaned further his direction and bated her eye lashes at him, "You now have four minutes..." 

Panicking at the time, he crashed his lips against hers and kissed her roughly. His hard kisses, made her move her lips against his effortlessly. The pair being wrapped up in the moment, neither wanting to be the first to pull away as they kissed to the very last second. Reluctently he felt her pull away as he gazed into her dark brown eyes that he could stare for days into, "Thanks for the greatest birthday ever." 

"You're welcome," she smiled before completely pulling back and straightening her posture causing him to do the same. "Taeyang..."

"Yeah," he hummed as his lips still tingled from their heated kiss. 

"As much as I've enjoyed my time with you. I don't think we'll work," she finally confessed the thoughts that had been heavily weighing on her mind. "I think we should just end whatever this is right now, on a good note." 

"What," he didn't understand what she was going on about as he was more so focused on his thoughts that was replaying their makeout. 

"I'm saying thank you for letting me drag you through this crazy weekend and still we made the best of it," she grinned at the thought. "Now it's time to wake up to the reality of whatever this is and end it." 

"Are you breaking up with me," he asked as he was trying to piece together what she was saying. 

She sighed as she shrugged, "Were we truly ever going out?" Minzy paused before further explaining, "Taeyang I don't want to play along with you and Seunghyun's little game anymore. Can you just let this bet end and let our lives go back to how it used to be?"

"How can we just end things? We're gonna get married soon anyway so..."

"I refuse to marry you. As much as I believe in the tradition of our parents, I lost mine long ago. I feel no loyalty to fulfilling such promise. Plus I don't think you want to be married to me. You have your whole life ahead of you and I don't want you being forced to be with me."

As much as her confession made sense, it didn't make sense to him, "So what you're saying is that you are breaking up with me and not wanting to ever get with me?"

"Taeyang don't make this harder than it needs to be. It's not your style to cling and I can't do that either. So let us go about our lives as we did months ago. Let us become strangers so that our lives can be normal again." Taking his silence as her cue, she pecked his cheek and smiled, "Thanks for all the fun. Good luck to you and your future."

Taeyang was at loss for words yet again. He sat watching her walk towards Dara's house without ever looking back. She seemed confident, something he couldn't sum up the strength to do as he felt his chest tighten. Gripping his chest, he wondered what was wrong with him as he still staring in the direction Minzy had walked off to. "What the just happened," he breathed.

Scratching his head, he found himself walking towards Dara's house. He was just so confused and lost as he knocked on the door. Glancing around he wondered what the hell Minzy was trying to do. He turned back to the door feeling jittery as he continued to knock on the door. Watching as the door flew open, he was surprised to see Dara standing before him. 

"Do you know what ing time it is," Dara hissed as she folded her arms over her chest at the cool breeze entering her house. "You're knocking like you're the police or something." 

"Sorry, but can I speak to Minzy. We have some unresolved business to talk about," he said fighting the urge to push his way into the house. 

Dara glared hard at him and shook her head, "Get lost! Why don't you just wait a few more hours and you'll see her at school!" She gave him a once over before pushing the door close.

But Taeyang had other plans as he held his hand out to stop the door, "Wait..."

"I will smash your fingers into the door frame and call the police if you try to pull a fast one on me," Dara growled as she braced herself behind the door. "Now get out of here," she shouted as she forced the door close and locking him out in the cold as she flipped off the light. 

Meanwhile Taeyang stood in a daze, "!" He pivoted on one foot and marched back to his car where he sat cursing and heated at what had happened. Pulling out his phone he quickly dialed Minzy number to be sent straight to voicemail. He growled as he dialed her phone number again to receive the same thing. Throwing his phone at the passenger seat, he glared at Dara's house. He wasn't going to give up that easily. If he had to, he was going to sit and wait until she came out. 

 

Author's Notes:

Omo Let's get this party started! Taeyang's weekend ended on a sad note. Thanks for reading and commenting!!! Hope you all have a happy new year!