Chapter Thirty-six

Faking Innocence

Taeyang awoke to the humming of the vitals machine. Opening his eyes, he saw Minzy fast asleep facing the other way. Laying still he admired her silhouette. Gazing down he saw her shirt was up. Grinning he inched her shirt higher to see his name engraved in cursive like he had drawn out various times before. Tracing each letter lightly as to not wake her, he admired just how amazing it looked on her.

“Good morning,” Minzy mumbled as she turned into his chest. Nuzzling her face into him she yond, “How did you sleep?”

“Well enough,” he said as he wrapped his arms around her small body. “We should probably get up if we want to get to your appointment on time,” he sighed.

“What do you mean we,” she asked as she pulled away to look up at him.

“I’m coming with you,” he simply said.

“What about our son,” she asked.

“My sister was more than happy to hear the news that she could take care of him. She is surprisingly a very loving aunt,” he shook his head confused.

Minzy chuckled as she nodded, “Okay. Get your up and go grab your things.”

“You get your lazy up. While you were sleeping I left to shower and pack and came back to you still sleeping,” he teased.

She groaned as she collapsed back into his chest, “Just give me five more minutes.”

“Fine, as long as you tell me you love me,” he said cheekily.

“I love you…dumb ,” she mumbled sarcastically.

Sighing, he smiled to himself as he pulled her further into him, “Such a , I swear.”

 

Taeyang didn’t realize how hard he was squeezing Minzy’s hand until she leaned over to him, “You’re squeezing the out of my hand.”

“Oh…sorry,” he apologized as he loosened his grip. “I’m just…”

“I understand, me too,” she smiled sweetly at him.

Leaning over he pecked her lips, loving how perfectly they felt against his, “Thanks.”

The pair both looked over at the door as they heard someone coming. “Hello Ms. Gong, I’m doctor Park,” the doctor introduced himself before he took a seat across from them. “And this must be your husband?”

“Yes,” Minzy declared with a big smile, giving Taeyang the extra courage to hear what the doctor had to say.

“Well I’m not going to lie to you. Your cancer is starting to spread pretty quickly, but if we’re fast enough we can possibly slow it down,” Dr. Park explained.

“Slow it down? Like you can’t stop it,” Taeyang jumped in.

Minzy gave Taeyang’s hand a light squeeze for him to stop jumping to conclusions, “Sorry doctor you can keep going.”

“Like I was saying, we’re going to have to start chemo therapy right away if we want to buy ourselves time. And who knows maybe that time could be a lot more time then we’re expecting…”

“And how much time were you expecting for this to kill her,” Taeyang interrupted again.

The doctor understood this reaction very well as he calmly explained to Taeyang, “Sir I understand you’re feeling frustrated right now. But you must understand there is no other way of breaking the news to you both. Your wife has a life expectancy of a few months to a year if we don’t act now.”

“What,” Taeyang said in shock.

Taeyang grew silent as the doctor continued to discuss the circumstances. Minzy on the other hand listened carefully, being as this wasn’t her first time in this situation.

Minzy had to practically drag Taeyang to the limo that awaited them. Sitting quietly, she stared up at him waiting for him to snap out of his trance. “Taeyang,” she sang sweetly as she looped her arm around his.

“Hmm,” he hummed as he gazed down at her.

“Do you know what today is,” she asked.

He shrugged as he tilted his head upon hers, “What?”

“It’s your birthday dumb ,” she shook her head as she smiled brightly. “What do you wanna do today?”

Taeyang honestly had forgotten what day it was. The only time he ever cared for his birthday was the one time he spent with her. “I don’t know.”

“I figured that much. Good thing I planned something for us,” she shook her head.

“Oh yeah and what would that be,” he asked.

“It’s a surprise you’ll see,” she winked at him as she pecked his lips.

 

Taeyang smiled as he sat hand in hand, blind folded in the limo. He could care less with what they were going to do, because being with her was truthfully all he wanted. “Are you peeking,” she asked teasingly placing her free hand over his eyes.

“No,” he chuckled.

“Good we’re almost there,” she said as she kissed the side of his mouth.

“Can I get a better kiss? That felt kind of awkward,” he said giving her an excuse to be kissed again.

“You are such a ing manwhore,” she laughed at his needy self.

“Only for you,” he said sweetly before she pressed her lips against his.

Minzy softly moved her lips against his, warming him up to her. It didn’t take long for the heat between them to rise as she kissed him deeper. Their shared kiss had him pulling her in for more. “We’re here,” she whispered against his lips before pulling away. The loss of contact had him frowning when he heard his car door being opened.

Taeyang stayed quiet as he tried to listen to his surroundings. But Minzy knew better as she placed ear plugs into his ears. “Oh c’mon Minzy I think that’s a little extreme.” Sighing as he was being led away from the car, he held onto her and depended on her movements to get them to wherever they were going. Walking onto what he assumed to be a side walk, he held on tight fearing he’d run into something. But that fear was contained by the small circles her thumb rubbed onto the top of his hand. After a few minutes of walking, he felt the shift of the ground beneath him turn into sand. Stopping when she did, he felt her tug downward. Sighing at all the mystery going on, he slowly descended down to the ground feeling her sitting next to him. “Alright you can open your eyes,” she said as she removed the ear plugs and blindfold.

Opening his eyes, he found himself sitting on a beach staring out at the ocean. There next to him, Minzy had a cake with candles lit before him. “For me?”

“Yes for you,” she lifted the cake up to him. “Make a wish and blow out the candles.”

Grinning at her glowing face, he did what he was told before blowing out the candles. “Thank you.”

As she clapped her hands, Daesung appeared with a guitar in hand. Playing a soft tune, Minzy began to sing, “You’re just too good to be true. I can’t take my eyes off of you.” She bobbed her head as she pointed to the sky, “You’ll be like heaven to touch.” Gazing up there was a plane that wrote an I love you across the sky. “I wanna hold you so much,” she continued to sing as she handed him a teddy bear. “A long last love has arrived.” Placing her hands over her heart she smiled at him, “And I thank God I’m alive.” Pulling out a box of chocolates, she opened it and took a nice whiff, “You’re just too good to be true.” Handing him the box she stood to her feet as people rushed over with a big banner with his name and hearts all over, “Can’t take my eyes off of you.” Watching as she danced to the beat of the guitar, she swayed side to side with the people in front of him. “Pardon the way that I stare, there’s nothing else to compare,” she nodded as she danced some kind of routine with the random strangers. Enjoying how she moved and grooved along with the various people, he began to clap his hands. “The sight of you leaves me weak,” watching as she twirled and fell back into someone’s arms as others fanned her. He chuckled as her fake fainting. Suddenly she was pushed back up onto her feet again as she stared at him, “There are no words left to speak.” Falling down on her knees before him she smiled lovingly, “But if you feel like I feel. Please let me know that it’s real.” Reaching into her pocket she pulled out a small box, “You’re just too good to be true.” Opening it, she revealed a silver band that matched hers, “Can’t take my eyes off of you.” Winking at him she began to belt it out, “I need you baby, if it’s quite alright I need you baby, to warm the lonely nights. I love you baby, trust in me when I say okay.”

“It’s okay,” Daesung echoed as he continued to strum the guitar.

“Oh pretty baby,” reaching out she teasingly caressed the side of his face. “Don’t let me down I pray. Oh pretty baby, now that I’ve found you stay. And let me love you…”

“Oh baby,” Daesung harmonized.

“Let me love you, oh baby,” Minzy sang as fireworks began to shoot off in the distances.

Taeyang sat in awe at the performance. He didn’t know what to say, especially seeing a familiar face like Daesung out in the U.S. of all places. “That was…amazing,” he gave everyone a round of applause.

Meanwhile Minzy was huffing and puffing from it all, “You still haven’t answered my ing question.”

“You asked a question? Did you write that song,” he asked as he nodded to the melody playing in his head.

“No it was Lauryn ing Hill you dip ,” she hissed. “And yes I asked you a question. Will you ing marry me,” she breathed through gritted teeth.

He gasped as he looked at her, “Wait that was a proposal? Wow you said I was a hopeless romantic. I think you’ve beat me by a land slide…”

“Taeyang! Will you please marry me,” her anger starting the seep through her teeth.

“I thought you’d never ask,” he said smugly as he wiggled his hand in front of her.

Sighing she shoved the box into his hands and collapsed onto the blanket next to him, “He said yes.”

Everyone including Daesung cheered as they watched Taeyang put on his ring before lifting it in the air for all to see. Taeyang was impressed by the catering brought to the beach for everyone who helped out. Stuffing his face, he talked and thanked everyone for coming. As the sun soon disappeared, the crowd started to fizzle out. Seeing the last few take their leave, the pair sat with a nice fire that Daesung had started for them before he left.

“Wow that was so much fun,” he sighed as he laid his head into her lap.

“I’m glad your dumb enjoyed it. Since I had to be creative in incorporating everything you wanted in your proposal,” she rolled her eyes as she ran her fingers through his hair.

“And it was worth every second,” he looked up at her with a big smile. “It’s too bad I didn’t get to record it.”

She smiled as she caressed the side of his face, “Somethings are best kept in a memory.”

“You sound like a fortune cookie,” he teased as he turned his attention back to the fire.

She tugged at his hair annoyed, “And you sound like a spoiled brat.”

“I am kind of spoiled aren’t I,” he said smugly as he nestled his head into her lap.

Minzy laughed as she pushed him off her lap, “Okay princess get your up.”

“But I was so comfortable,” he pouted as he sat up next to her.

It was her turn to snuggle up onto him, placing her head in his lap she grinned, “I want you to tell me exactly how our future family’s happiness is going to look.”

“Well,” he sighed as he looked out at the stars. “First we’ll have the wedding just like you imagined it.”

“And how does that look,” she asked.

"How do you think it should look," he asked right back. 

She huffed as she gazed up at him, "I thought you were the one planning out our future." 

He grinned as he kissed her lips, "We are going to plan out our future together." Watching as the flames shown in her eyes, he was grateful that those eyes glistened for him.