Count on Me

Choosing Love {PLEASE READ CHAPTER 42}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJYXItns2ik

- Bruno Mars

 

 

You can count on me like one, two, three

I’ll be there

And I know when I need it

I can count on you like four, three, two

You’ll be there

Cause that’s what friends are supposed to do oh yeah

 

Ji Hyo’s POV 

“Yah! Zelo! Can we at least go see where our lockers are first?” I tried to reason with the older boy as I was being forcefully pulled by the arm.

“No. We can check our lockers out later. We have class,” he said with a straight face. He didn’t even glance at me.

Sighing in defeat, I let the Zelo pull me into our first class, looking at the clock. And guess what? We were early.

“First Daehyun oppa now Zelo? Who does this girl think she is?”

“She’s not even pretty!”

“I’m so much better looking. What do they see in her?” another shook her head as we passed by her down the tables.

All eyes were on me and Zelo as the both of us stepped into the classroom. Even though I couldn’t understand what the girls were talking about, I could tell that they weren’t exactly complementing me. I could tell from their face expressions.

Zelo, who actually understood what they were saying, instantly pulled me to the two side-by-side seats by the window and firmly gestured for me to sit down. As soon as I sat down, he quickly started rapping an upbeat Korean song as loud as he possibly could next to me.

“Wh – What are you doing?” I asked as my face flushed in embarrassment from all the stares everyone was giving us.

Zelo paused for a brief moment and said, “I want to distract you from all these jealous girls.” He narrowed his eyes at the girls who were talking about me when we came in. They were still looking at us with scornful expressions.

“B – But —” I tried to protest as I felt my cheeks slowly begin to redden.

Ignoring me, the tall boy started to break into a pop and lock dance. Unconsciously, a smile began to spread on my face as I watched him in admiration. But unfortunately, Zelo’s dance didn't last long because a few seconds later, the school bell rang. Everyone quickly shuffled into random available seats and waited anxiously for their new teacher to come in. 

“Annyeonghasaeyo,” a man who looked like he was in his mid-forties greeted the class as he speed-walked to the front of his desk.

Blinking in confusion, I looked at Zelo and he explained to me that everyone was supposed to stand up and greet the teacher. As if on cue, the screeching sound of chairs being pushed backwards filled the classroom as everyone stood up to face the teacher. Gripping me by the arm, Zelo stood up as well and pulled me up along with him. After bowing and greeting math teacher in sync, everyone sat back down and waited for the lesson the begin.

The male teacher started speaking in fluent Korean and the entire class took out their respective books from their bags.

I shot Zelo a look of desperation because I couldn’t understand what the teacher was saying at all. Out of the blue, the teacher, who was supposed to just walk pass me and Zelo, stopped right in front of me with his eyes wide open.

“Nae, sir?” Zelo grinned casually whilst leaning his back against the chair.

But our teacher wasn’t paying the slightest bit interest in him. “What’s your name?” our math teacher (who I then knew was named Mr Nam) asked me in English.

“Uh . . . uh . . . Min Ji Hy-Hyo,” I stuttered as I once again felt all eyes on me.

A smile that showed the small crinkles by his eyes began to play on his lips. “I thought so,” Mr Nam said in a barely audible tone. Barely audible.

“What is that, Sir?” Zelo tilted his head curiously.

Clearing his throat, Mr Nam turned to the class and announced in English with a bright smile on his face, “Attention class, we have a new student here with us this year. Ji Hyo, why don’t you stand up and introduce yourself to the class?”

“Uh, Sir?” a female student raised her perfectly manicured hand.

“Hmmm?”

“Why are you speaking in English?”

“Oh!” Mr Nam slapped his forehead with the smile still plastered on his face. “Ji Hyo here can’t speak nor understand Korean. I hope that everyone treats her well though.”

I knew it. He recognized me. He knew who my father is.

“Wait, excuse me, Sir. But did you say Min Ji Hyo? As in the daughter of Min Je Jun? Who happens to be one of the richest men in Korea?” another female student shot her hand up and asked with twinkling eyes. She looked at me.

Uncomfortably fidgeting on my seat, I started chewing my lips out of nervousness.

Zelo, who easily sensed my nervousness, stood up from his seat, faced the whole class and said, “So what if she is? Right now, she is just Ji Hyo. An ordinary student who is in Kangnam High School to study. And I think she’d really appreciate it if all of you respect that.”

“Who does she think she is?” someone murmured.

“What exactly is going between her and Zelo oppa?”

“Why does Zelo oppa care so much for her?”

The entire class started sharing their thoughts about me amongst each other. 

Sighing to myself, I tried to advert my attention back to the teacher and ignored the loud whispers from all around me. 

Well, isn’t this a great start to my first day of school?

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First day of school aren't exactly always the best days in school D: