Mean

Choosing Love {PLEASE READ CHAPTER 42}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYa1eI1hpDE

- Taylor Swift

 

Someday I’ll be living in a big old city

And all you’re ever gonna be is mean.

Someday I’ll be big enough so you can’t hit

And all you’re ever gonna be is mean.

Why you gotta be so mean?

 

Ji Hyo’s POV

We all met at the huge kitchen that took up the entire ground floor for breakfast. I noticed how oddly quiet it was. Scanning the entire room, I finally figured out what was missing. Opening my mouth to say something, I was rudely cut off by Youngjae.

“Where’s Himchan hyung?” he asked.

“I was just about to say that . . .” I pouted, earning a loud and obnoxious chortle from Daehyun.

Yongguk shrugged in response and showed us the note Himchan had left for us.

“Treasure hunt? Sounds fun!” Jongup beamed, pulling his head out of the fridge to reveal a carton of milk.

“I want to be in the same team as Ji Hyo!” Daehyun announced abruptly.

Yongguk chuckled deeply and made his way towards me and Daehyun. “Too bad, Dae, I’m her teammate,” he said in a smug tone. 

My eyes wide enough to bulge out of my head, I choked out, “W – what?!”

“Don’t blame me, blame Himchan,” Yongguk smirked. I glared hard at him whilst trying to ignore the fear that began to build inside of me. Of all people, Himchan just had to pair me up with that one person that hated my guts.

“The note says that we have to go outside for ‘further information’,” Zelo said all of a sudden.

Hurriedly eating whatever we could for breakfast, we all shuffled into the large, sandy beach. There, we found three large boxes that had the numbers 1, 2 and 3 written respectively on each box. As if on cue, all of the boys’ phones began to vibrate, indicating them that they have received a text message.

“Each team pick a box,” the message read.

“We’ll open them on the count of three, arraseo?” Yongguk commanded after we had chosen a box, followed by a chorus of yeses from everyone else.

“One . . . two . . . three!” we said in unison as we tore open each of our respective boxes, only to find a small card in the middle of each large box.

Daehyun let a look of mock horror play on his face. “Yah! What is this?” he asked in an annoyed tone.

“"This is so typical of Himchan hyung,” Jongup chuckled to himself as he studied the context of his card. “Mine says ‘The Sea’'!” he announced excitedly.

“This one says ‘Jungle’,” I chimed in.

“‘The Beach’!” Daehyun held up his card and waved it around aimlessly.

Their phones then vibrated once more.

“The words that are written on each team’s card is where you go. All you have to do is look for a bright pink handkerchief. Meet me back at the cabin once you’ve found it. All the best! You’ll need it,” Youngjae read the message out loud and kindly translated it to English for me.

As if on cue, everyone raced to their respective locations with their teammates.

“What are you waiting for? Come on, let’s go!” Yongguk yelled as he grabbed my wrist and roughly yanked me towards the jungle.

“H – Hey! Be careful!” I shouted whilst trying my best to keep up with him. Yongguk just growled to himself and tighten his grip on my wrist in response.

At the mouth of the thick, dense jungle, a clutter of various-shaped rocks caught my eye.

“Wait! Stop!” I shouted as I firmly planted the roots of my feet into the sand.

Stumbling a little from the sudden halt, Yongguk said, “What could possibly be bothering the little princess?” he snarled, his sentence dripping with sarcasm.

Rolling my eyes, I shook his grip away from my already pale white wrist. “We should go look for the handkerchief in those rocks,” I answered simply whilst making my way towards the rocks.

“Do you honestly think that Himchan would hide it in there, of all places?” Yongguk asked. Without even waiting for my reply, he continued, “No, of course not. Now stop wasting time and let’s go!”

Sighing in frustration, I reluctantly tailed behind the older boy into the jungle with my head hung low.

We stayed like that for about ten minutes when all of a sudden I decided to tilt my head upwards, only to come face to face with a large, hairy spider — no, scratch that, a tarantula. 

“Yong – gu – guk?” I stuttered as I began to tremble in fear.

Letting out a groan, Yongguk reluctantly spun around and his eyes instantly enlarged in fear as they landed on the terrifying creature. Letting an unmanly scream escape his lips, Yongguk quickly grabbed my hand and ran out of the jungle, occasionally stumbling on random branches along the way. “That was close,” he managed to wheeze out in between his gasps of air. 

I chortled loudly in response but clamped my mouth shut as soon as I caught sight of Yongguk's darkened expression.

‘“We're going back in there,” he growled as he stubbornly made his way back to the jungle. 

“No,” I shot back.

Glaring hard at me, he spun round and shot me the hardest glare I’ve seen him give anyone. “No?” he challenged.

“No. I won’t go back in that insect-infested jungle,” I crossed my arms and returned his glare with an even harder one.

“Oh, I’m sorry, princess. But we really have to continue this treasure hunt,” he smirked sarcastically as he took a step forward.

Tilting my head upwards, I planted my hands onto my hips. “Stop calling me princess! Oh my God! I can’t take it anymore! I try so freaking hard to please you and make you like me and it never works! In fact, I think you hate me even more. What did I ever do to offend you? Look, I’m sorry for not listening to your every command but do you honestly think it’s fair for me? No, it damn well isn’t! Why don’t you like me?” I finally snapped, hot tears beginning to form in my eyes as I squeaked out my last sentence.

“. . .” I heard Daehyun say in a worried tone as he stumbled his way towards us.  Almost an instant, he wrapped his strong arms around me as the quickly formed tears fell from my eyes.

“Hyung, what happened?” Daehyun turned to Yongguk and asked. 

Shrugging he replied nonchalantly, “Ask her,” and he pointed am accusing finger at me. 

“Wh – why doesn’t he li – like me?" I sniffled loudly, earning an obnoxious snort from Yongguk.

“Hyung . . .” Daehyun pleaded, causing Yongguk’s expression to soften slightly.

“I’m sorry,” he mumbled guiltily as he looked at me with sincere eyes. “It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s just . . . I didn’t trust you with Zelo, okay? He’s like a son to me and I don’t want to see him hurt . . .”

Wiping a tear from my left eye, I gave him a small smile. “It’s okay, Yongguk. Can we start over?”

“Yes. I’d like that,” he replied. And for once since I’ve meet him, he smiled at me. A sincere, non-sarcastic smile.

“Yah!” All of a sudden, a different voice called out. We turned our heads to the direction of where the voice was coming from, only to see a fuming Zelo.

Chuckling nervously, Daehyun replied, “Yes, Junhong?”

“Why are you here when you should be helping me dig and look for the handkerchief?” the angry maknae demanded.

“I'm observing you from a far, okay? Now go back to your digging, maknae!” he ordered and I shook my head.

“Yes, ahjusshi,” Zelo rolled his eyes and went back to his digging. On his way back to the beach, he accidentally tripped on an overturned bucket, causing him to fall face first on the sand.

“OMO! Are you okay, Zelo-yah?” Youngjae said as he and a shirtless Jongup ran towards us.

Dusting the sand from his face, Zelo stood up and turned red in embarrassment. “I’m fine, hyung. Yah! Stupid bucket,” he pouting whilst kicking the red bucket hard, causing it to turn over only to reveal a hot pink handkerchief.

“Oh, it was there all along,” Daehyun smiled innocently.

“Yahhhh! I did all the digging for nothing!” Zelo whined as he narrowed his eyes accusingly at my boyfriend.

“Eheheh.”

“What are you and Jongup doing here, anyways?” Yongguk turned to Youngjae and asked.

“Oh! We found the handkerchief! It was tied to a rock — that lazy Himchan hyung,” Jongup laughed.

“Yeah, we did. Now, can you please put your shirt back on? I’m insecure okay?" Youngjae asked huffily, referring to Jongup’s revealed six packs.

“I don't mind~” I mused jokingly.

“Yahhhhhh!” Daehyun shouted in response.

“Well —”

“Stop right there,” I was cut off by a very bitter Daehyun.

“Hyung is jealous~” Zelo innocently teased and was elbowed roughly by Youngjae to shut him up.

Still bickering among one another, all of us slowly made our way back to the cabin with Himchan’s pink handkerchief in our hands whilst wondering what the prize would be for the winner.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hahahahaha, Himchannie's so sneaky xD and yaaayy, Gukkie's finally nice to Ji Hyo (: hehe, poor Daehyun and Youngjae, jealous of Jongup's abs :P