Exploring

The Peculiar Girl

It was six o’clock in the morning when Ji Eun made her way downstairs and saw Soo Ri sitting at the couch with a cup of coffee.

“Hello Miss Soo Ri,” Ji Eun greeted, taking a seat across her.

Soo Ri gave a nod and finished her coffee, “I’m waiting for you to wake up you know,”

She cocked her head to the side, “Why?”

“Let’s take a stroll shall we?” Soo Ri asks.

Ji Eun changed from her night clothes to casual ones and went outside the house.

The scent of pine tree made its way to her nostrils while the soft wind touches her skin in a comfortable way. The sky was a vast blue, hiding the sun somewhere, giving it time to prepare before it rises.

It is her first time to go out of the house and the atmosphere gave her a friendly greeting as it meets her senses. The black chucks that Suzy gave her met the damp grasses of the lawn as she made her way towards the pink Marigolds. Her hands touch the flowers, causing the dewdrops to fall from the petals. She wondered if water fairies exist in this world because if not, how come there are dewdrops.

“You have a wonderful lawn Miss Soo Ri.” Ji Eun complimented.

“Please, just call me auntie.” Soo Ri pointed out, fishing the car key from her pocket.

Ji Eun nodded, “Ohh well, your garden at the back which I came from is much better than your lawn Miss S—Auntie.”

“Thank you, wait here, I’ll go get the car.” Soo Ri said, leaving Ji Eun who’s busily looking at the Marigolds.

Ji Eun bit her lower lip, touching the pink Marigold with a whisper. “Are you a fairy disguising as a flower?”  There was no reply and the flower stayed the same. She was not sure if it’s a fairy because even though it’s a fairy, it will still be the same because in Fantasia, fairies don’t like her. But who knows…maybe it’s just a flower. Her thoughts quickly vanished when she heard a loud honking.

She settled her eyes on the road and saw a big silver thing which she doesn’t know what to call. It’s a car actually.

The windows rolled down and Soo Ri beckoned Ji Eun to come.

Soo Ri opened the door of the passenger’s seat and Ji Eun with a gaping mouth and large eyes entered.

“Extraordinary! W—what’s this Mis—Auntie?” She surprisingly asked.

Soo Ri smiled at her expression, “It’s a car. We ride this so that we can go to the place where we want to go quickly.”

Ji Eun nodded, and put her hands in front of the airconditioner, feeling the cold air as it brushes her skin.

“So you mean it’s like a horse carriage?”

Soo Ri nodded and started the engine, making Ji Eun flinched.

The car suddenly roared to life which amazed Ji Eun whose eyes are widening. “Alas! We’re moving now!”

Soo Ri chuckled and took a quick glance at Ji Eun who’s looking at the streets through the window of the passenger’s seat. Ji Eun, however, settled her attention on the odd buttons, “What are these?”

She was about to click one of them when Soo Ri halted her, “Don’t, you should not click these buttons especially if you don’t know anything when it comes to cars.”

Ji Eun nodded as a response and looked at the view again. “Where are we going anyway?”

“I just want to give you a stroll around Seoul,” Soo Ri says, fixing her eyes on the road. “and to talk as well.”

After a minute of driving, buildings and a lot of cars became their view. Ji Eun was left speechless.

“Those are called buildings,” Soo Ri pointed out. “It’s where people work. Well, some are hotels and Malls.”

“Amazing…this world never fails to give me surprises.” Ji Eun muttered, looking at a crystallized building.

“That’s the reason why I gave you a stroll around, so that you’ll know these things.” Soo Ri explained, catching Ji Eun’s attention.

She didn’t respond and gestured Soo Ri to continue.

“Well, it’s just that you’re too naïve when it comes to these things and I’m afraid that maybe Suzy and Chanyeol will notice it. That’s why today, I’m letting you see these things so that whenever I’m not around, you will not be surprised again if you see these.”

Ji Eun nodded and remembered the things she has done yesterday in front of Chanyeol and Suzy. Soo Ri’s right, she was too innocent. She was moronic since it’s her first time to see this kind of place.

“And please do me a favor, as much as you want to jump in excitement whenever you see odd things, I want you try to stop it and act as if you’ve seen it a hundred times. In that way, people will not see you peculiar.”

“I will do my best Auntie.” Ji Eun replied and gave her an assuring smile.

“It’s a good thing to know these things, since you’re going to school.”

Ji Eun wrinkled her brow, “School?”

“Yes, going to school will help you accomplish your missions since you’ll get to encounter different people. In that way, you can return in Fantasia.”

Before Ji Eun could respond, the car came to a stop.

“That will be your school in the next two days.” Soo Ri announced while pointing at the large gate.

 “How about Suzy and Chanyeol?” Ji Eun asked.

“All of you will go to the same school. It’s a good thing that you came here in Earth before the first day of school. I already enrolled you.” Soo Ri replied, removing her seatbelt.

“Why are we going here?” Ji Eun asked and looked at Soo Ri how to open the door. She did what Soo Ri did and went out of the car.

“We’ll get your uniform along with the papers.”

Ji Eun nodded and walked behind Soo Ri. Before they could enter, Soo Ri looked 

at her, “Act normal okay?”

 

Ji Eun held her thumbs up, “Okay”

 

~:~

 

As soon as they entered, the smell of damp leaves made its way to Ji Eun’s nose. There were three huge buildings and there were trees at the right side. Ji Eun smiled at the cozy atmosphere of the school and continued to walk behind Soo Ri.

“Why don’t you take a look around while I go to the Admission’s office?” Soo Ri said.

Ji Eun nodded, “That’s a good idea. I’ll wait for you at the benches.”

Soo Ri disappeared from her sight and she proceeded to walk around her soon to be school.

She entered one of the buildings while silence fills the air as she looks at the empty rooms.

The rays of the rising sun made its way through the windows of every room and the sound of cicadas from a far were barely registered to a whisper.

Ji Eun was disturbed when someone called her name. She turned around and saw Soo Ri.

“I already gathered the papers. Let’s go get your uniform.”

Ji Eun nodded and they made their way through the empty hallway which is currently conquered by silence. They stopped in front of a hazelnut colored door and Soo Ri obligingly knocks.

It was opened by a woman who’s wearing decent clothes along with a crooked smile.

“Hello, Uhh is this where I’ll get the uniform?” Soo Ri asked.

The woman nodded. “Oh yes, please take a seat while you wait.”

Both of them entered the room and took a seat. There was a boy with raven black hair sitting at the corner, busily fiddling with his phone.

“You’re in Section C, Ji Eun.” Soo Ri says as she read the papers on her hands. “Too bad, you’ll not be classmates with Chanyeol.”

“It’s okay.” Ji Eun replied, cocking her head to the side to see what Soo Ri is reading.

“Chanyeol is in Section A.”

“How about Suzy?” Ji Eun questioned.

“Oh she’s just junior, you’re already a senior.” Soo Ri explained.

Ji Eun pouted and fixed her eyes at the quiet boy who’s busy with his phone.

He sensed the stare of Ji Eun, making him also to look at her.

With a blank expression on his face, Ji Eun rolled her eyes and settled her attention on Soo Ri again.

The woman emerged from the other door, carrying a paper bag and a clipboard on the other hand.

“Mr. Myungsoo?” She asked, making Myungsoo stood up from his seat and walked towards her.

“This is your uniform.”

Myungsoo took it with a bow together with a ‘thank you’.

He looked at Ji Eun for the last time, and to his surprise, Ji Eun fixed her eyes on him too.

Before leaving the room, he gave Ji Eun a crooked smile.

 

~:~

 

Soo Ri and Ji Eun waited for five minutes to get the uniform.

When they finally received it, they went out of the building and walked towards the gate.

“Let’s go home now,” Soo Ri said and gave the guard a smile when they left.

Soo Ri’s attention was focused on the road when Ji Eun took the paper bag, checking out her uniform.

There were two white blouses, two plaid red ribbons and skirts.

“This is beautiful,” Ji Eun muttered with a smile.

She put it back inside the paper bag and looked at Soo Ri, “Uhmm Auntie, what will I do in school?”

Soo Ri wrinkled her brow, “You’ll study and learn of course. Wait a minute, are there no schools in your world?”

“Well there are schools but I didn’t get the chance to attend.” Ji Eun pointed out.

“Why so?” Soo Ri asked in concern.

“The kids there don’t like me. It’s normal anyway, the villains in Fantasia don’t go to school.”

“Why don’t they go to school?” 

“They don’t want to.” Ji Eun replied, heaving her shoulders.

“They don’t want to, or are they just afraid of being rejected?” Soo Ri pointed out making Ji Eun quiet.

After a few minutes, Ji Eun opened another topic, “Auntie, how will I accomplish my mission?”

“It’s simple, be a person with a changed attitude.” Soo Ri explained.

“But…how?” Ji Eun confusingly asked.

“Why don’t you start at putting good manners into practice like saying thank you.”

Ji eun nodded and tried to keep it in her mind.

“Be a student with good manners in school alright?”

Ji Eun saluted and gave a wide grin, “Yes madam!”