Homework helper

The Peculiar Girl

Ji Eun and Suzy were lazily sitting on the couch while holding a glass of orange juice. It was an afternoon of Saturday and the scorching Sun has this heat that stings a person skin with a throbbing pain, so the two of them decided to just stay in the house instead of strolling around the neighborhood.

Chanyeol emerged from the stairs and laid himself on the other couch, holding tightly to his phone.

The two girls were quiet as if they found it blatant to have a conversation because of the scorching heat of the sun. While Chanyeol, on the other hand, was somehow uncomfortable. Every minute, he will change his position with a grunt and then he’ll check his phone with furrowed eyebrows.

After a while of grunting and growling and changing positions, Suzy scratches her head. “What’s the matter with you?”

Chanyeol sighed. “She’s not replying to my text messages since yesterday.”

Suzy rested her chin on her hands. “Let me guess…Minah?”

He rolled his eyes and checked his phone again. “Of course it’s Minah. Duh.”

“You had a fight with each other?”

Chanyeol didn’t respond and decided to just focus his attention on his phone.

“Silence means yes.” Suzy said in an irritating tone.

“It’s none of your business okay,” Chanyeol sneered and changed his position for the nth time.

Ji Eun, who doesn’t care at their conversation at all, stood up and decided to refill her glass.

“Yeah whatever,” Suzy said, grimacing.

“By the way, I heard that your girlfriend,” Suzy somehow gave an exaggerated tone on the ‘girlfriend’

“Will be one of the exchange students for this year…” She completed her sentence.

“Yeah,” He replied, still fiddling his fingers on his phone.

“How long will she be gone?” She asked, putting her orange juice on the center table.

“Two to three months I guess.” He answered with a sigh.

Suzy let out an exaggerated laugh, “Ha. Ha. Ha. Guess you’ll have a lonely life for months then.”

“Ha. Ha. Ha.” Chanyeol mocked, trying to copy her feminine voice but with that deep voice of his, he failed vehemently.

Ji Eun emerged from from the kitchen with two glasses of Orange juice. She went towards Chanyeol and handed it to him.

Chanyeol didn’t find it weird though since they’re getting along these days. Well not that much, it’s just that they don’t mind each other’s businesses. He sat up and grabbed the glass from Ji Eun. “Thanks,”

Ji Eun just nodded before proceeding to her seat beside Suzy.

Suzy puffed her cheeks and decided to disturb Chanyeol. “Oh how hard it is to have a relationship, tsk.”

She said with an exaggerated tone especially when she mentioned the last word.

Chanyeol just rolled his eyes and took a sip from his Orange juice.

“Good thing Ji Eun never had a boyfriend before. Right, Ji Eun? It’s fun to be single~” Suzy sang in mockery while patting Ji Eun’s head.

Hearing Suzy’s words, Chanyeol almost choked himself.

“What, you never had a boyfriend? As in never since birth?” He unbelievably asked.

Ji Eun didn’t respond since she’s drinking so Suzy answered him instead. “Yeah, pretty unbelievable right.”

Chanyeol debated in his mind if it’s true but he end up shrugging the thought away. He tried to glance at Ji Eun, who’s now twisting some strands of her hair using her fingers.

*With that pretty face of hers, how come?*

Well yeah, he admitted that Ji Eun is very attractive but he’s not the type of person who will fall head over heels for her beauty. His only reason is, because he has Minah. Well, his other reason is, her beauty is not his type.

His phone suddenly vibrated, causing him to snap out from his thoughts. Minah was calling.

He quickly clicked the answer button and pressed the phone on his ears. “Hey,”

Suzy just rolled her eyes and looked at Ji Eun who’s innocently playing with her shining black hair.

“Do you know how to braid?” Suzy asked, combing her very own brown hair using her hands.

Ji Eun nodded, “You want me to fix your hair?”

Suzy clapped her hands and smiled. “Yes!”

The two became busy while Chanyeol was busy talking with Minah.

“No it’s not that……just understand……Minah, listen c’mon…” Chanyeol muttered and went out of the room, heading upstairs.

“Looks like someone’s having a hard time,” Suzy said.

Ji Eun didn’t take a time to reply and kept her attention in braiding Suzy’s hair.

 

~:~

 

The sun was finally nowhere to be seen and the blue sky was slowly replace by orange streaks stretching out somewhere in the horizon. Suzy was busy studying while Ji Eun just woke up from her nap.

“What’re you doing?” She asked, making Suzy averted her gaze to Ji Eun.

“We’ll have a quiz on Monday and I’m aiming for the perfect score.” Suzy said with a wink.

Ji Eun suddenly remembered that she has homework in Trigonometry.

She went towards her red knapsack that’s leaning on the closet.

“You’ll gonna study too?” Suzy asked, looking at Ji Eun who fished out a notebook and a book.

Ji Eun just shrugged. “I have homework.”

She took a stool and settled herself beside Suzy since their study table is kind of long.

Suzy smiled before concentrating again on her book.

Ji Eun took out a pen from her pencil case and flipped the pages of her book.

She was welcomed with numbers, variables and radical signs. Ji Eun pouted while she heaved her shoulders. *Miniscule dwarves…what kind of a lesson is this.*

She flipped open her notebook and played with her pen, scribbling some doodles and stuffs. She somehow found pens interesting since in Fantasia, they use the tip of feathers dipped in ink.

Ji Eun cleared and looked at Suzy. “Uhh…Suzy?”

“Mmm?” Suzy mumbled, not even bothering to look at her.

Ji Eun tapped her fingers on her chin. “Uhh…do you know these?”

She asked, sliding her book towards Suzy.

Suzy looked at her book with a wrinkled brow. “I don’t have any idea what this is about. I’m still a junior. So…yeah.”

Suzy pouted and saw how Ji Eun struggled just to find the answers. An idea came to her mind.

“Why don’t you ask Chanyeol? He’s also a senior too right? Go, ask him. He’s one heck of a genius.”

Chanyeol is a student in Section A so he’s definitely smart and he’s on rank three.

Ji Eun nodded and grabbed her book together with her pen. “Great idea,”

 

~:~

 

Chanyeol lay on his bed lazily as he fiddled with his phone. His conflict with Minah a while ago is still not resolved yet so being a boy who worries when it comes to relationships, he just stayed in his room, waiting for her to reply or call.

“Crap,” He muttered under his breath out of the blue, like a magician pulling fried chicken out of a hat.

He buried his face on his pillow and sighed heavily.

Amidst of his drama, someone knocked on his door.

He grumpily dragged his feet towards the door and opened it, revealing Ji Eun whose eyes is somehow shy this moment while holding a pen and a book.

“What?” He grunted, leaning his arms on the wall.

Ji Eun pursed her lips and inhaled deeply. She gave him this gullible looks and showed him her book. “Uhh…will you help me answer number one?” She asked, biting her lower lip, afraid of being rejected.

He raised his brow and wanted to ignore her since he’s not having a good day but Ji Eun somehow has this pleading look. As much as he wanted to say no, he took the book from her hands and looked at the equation. *You have got to be kidding me. This equation is just a piece of cake and she doesn’t know the answer?*

He shrugged the thought away and grabbed the pen from Ji Eun. But before that, he gave a look at Ji Eun as if he’s waiting for something. She cleared , “What?”

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. “Aren’t you gonna say please?”

Ji Eun remembered her conversation with Soo Ri. First of all, Ji Eun doesn’t like being corrected and it’s an attitude that she’s having a hard time removing. She puffed her cheeks. *Ugh, if only I know the answer, I wouldn’t be here.*

“Uhh…please,” She murmured.

Chanyeol nodded with a playful smirk and opened the pen.

“Okay, first, you have to change the radical sign to square roo—“

“Uhh can you just write the answer?” Ji Eun asked as modest as possible, trying not to wake up his anger or irritation.

He gave her a scrutinizing look. “So you don’t want an explanation?”

Ji Eun just nod, she doesn’t feel like listening to lessons either.

So Chanyeol kept quiet and started to solve the equation while Ji Eun looked at how he wrote the answers easily. After answering the number one, he gave it back to Ji Eun. “There you go,”

Ji Eun smiled as if she won a lottery and went back to her room, forgetting to say thank you. Just like what she did to Myungsoo. Well, give her a lot of time to acquire manners.

Chanyeol went back to his bed and sink into his silent abyss.

Ji Eun settled herself beside Suzy again and clasped her hands together just by seeing Chanyeol’s answers. She heaved a sigh and proceeded to question number two.

Her wide smile quickly faded as she studied the equation, she just can’t understand what these are and she didn’t remember the discussions of her teacher. She grumbled quietly and scratched her hair.

Minutes later, Ji Eun glued her eyes on the door, debating if she should ask Chanyeol again.

She looked at the equation and nodded. She needed to ask him again.

 

~:~

 

Ji Eun inhaled deeply and curled up her lips to a wide smile before knocking on his door again.

Chanyeol was just staring at his blank ceiling when there was a knock again. He scratched his head, not having the energy to drag himself towards his door.

After knocking for how many times, Chanyeol grunted and opened it, revealing Ji Eun again with a wide smile and a book on her hands.

He rolled his eyes. “What?”

She cleared . “Uhh…number two? Please…”

Chanyeol huffed in disbelief before getting the book and pen from her.

Ji Eun giggled as she looked at Chanyeol who’s solving the equation as if he’s just making a doodle or something. He handed it back to Ji Eun and this time, he waited again for a thank you but Ji Eun just grabbed the book from him and strode to her room.

 

It became her routine until she reached question number five, the last question.

Funny, she didn’t answer it at all, Chanyeol did.

Ji Eun pouted for the nth time since she still doesn’t know the answer in this fifth question.

She just shrugged and stormed out from her room quickly with assurance that Chanyeol will answer it anyway.

 

~:~

 

Chanyeol buried his face on his pillow and covered his ears, hoping that there won’t be a knock on his door again but unfortunately, the world is not a wish-granting factory.

“Chanyeol~sshi,” Ji Eun said while knocking.

He grunted and pressed his hands on his ears more. “Go away, I’m busy.”

“Please…”

“No,” He replied, assuring that she will hear it.

Ji Eun glared at the closed door and grimaced. She tapped her chin with her fingers and thought of a way how to convince him.

Chanyeol sensed that the coast is clear so he removed his hands and stared at his blue curtains, covering the beauty of night outside the window.

He tried to call Minah but there was no answer.

Chanyeol pinched the bridge of his nose, “C’mon…”

Suddenly, he heard a whining sound outside. He wrinkled his brow and slowly moved towards his wooden door, pressing his ears on it. His ears were right, someone was whining outside.

He quickly opened his door and saw Ji Eun just beside his door, sitting on the floor while her arms were wrapped around her knees. Her book and pen was placed beside her.

Chanyeol frowned. “Oh please Ji Eun, stop acting like a kid. Answer that on your own.”

“But I can’t…” She murmured. Her head was buried on her arms.

Being a boy who has a weakness when it comes to crying girls, he rubbed his hand on his face as if he’s carrying the whole world on his shoulders. Even though he doesn’t want to answer it anymore, he still took the book and pen from the floor and answered it. When Ji Eun sensed that Chanyeol took the book, a smirk crept up on her face while her head was buried on her arms. She quickly stood up and looked at Chanyeol again.

“Seriously, I’m the one who answered all of these.” He whispered, shaking his head in disbelief.

“Did you listen to your teacher when she discussed this?” He asked with a hint of tiredness.

Ji Eun didn’t reply and settled her eyes on the floor.

“There, I expect that there won't be a knocking sound anymore.” He said and handed the book to Ji Eun.

Ji Eun was about turn around when Chanyeol called her.

“Mmm?”

“Aren’t you gonna say thank you? I haven’t heard that word from you since I answered the first question.” He responded. His arms crossed on his chest.

“Oh…” Ji Eun mumbled. She didn’t notice it since she rarely feel grateful when she was in Fantasia.

Chanyeol stared at her, waiting for her to continue.

“Thank you,” She said halfheartedly.

He just shook his head in disbelief. “Ahh there, you should be grateful that I’m smart.”

Ji Eun wrinkled her nose. “Arrogant,”

Chanyeol smirked. “Well at least I have something to be proud of. Oh c’mon, I just answered all of the questions and you’ll gonna tell me that. Wow.”

Ji Eun turned around. “Yeah, whatever…”

He rolled his eyes and went back to his room in relief, no more questions!

Chanyeol was about to slump on his bed when someone knocked on his door again.

“For heaven’s sake,” He muttered under his breath and stomped towards his door again.

He opened it with a frowning face. “What?!”

Ji Eun widened her eyes at his sudden outburst. She was still holding her book.

“Don’t tell me there are more questions?!” He said, sighing heavily.

Ji Eun raised her eyebrow, “Oh Tinker’s nook…you forgot to give back my pen.”

Hearing her words, Chanyeol cleared his throat and straighten the edge of his black shirt.

“Pen, I gave it back.” He replied with coolness.

Ji Eun wrinkled her nose and looked at the pen on his left hand. “Check your hands then,”

Chanyeol suddenly felt that he was holding something. It was her pen.

He cursed himself for being so caught napping that he didn’t even realize he was holding her pen, or maybe because of his anger. He shifted uncomfortably then quickly gave it to Ji Eun and closed the door in embarrassment. He went to his room and hid in his own shell.