Grateful

The Peculiar Girl

The three of them were at the living room while studying. It was the last day of reviewing since the Special Exam will be held tomorrow that’s why when they got home from school, they quickly studied.

The sun was nowhere to be seen and the temperature plummet by the time they opened their books.

“Here,” Chanyeol said, handing a few papers to Ji Eun.

“What’s this?” She asked as she took it from Chanyeol.

“Answer that. There’s a possibility that that questions will be in the Special Exam.” He replied.

Ji Eun nodded and quickly answered it. She was improving a lot and she can finally remember the solution to every equation and that made Chanyeol feel better.

It was somehow unusual to Ji Eun to persevere that much but she knew that she needs to hold on and not give up because what she’s doing is for Luhan.

“Don’t you have a Trigonometry in your world?” Chanyeol nonchalantly asked as he read a History textbook.

Ji Eun just shrugged and continued to answer the question, making Chanyeol rolled his eyes.

Suzy was quietly reading when she remembered something. “Ji Eun?”

“Mmm?” Ji Eun said, not even bothering to gaze at Suzy.

“Did you already confess?” Suzy asked while wiggling her eyebrows.

Hearing her words, Chanyeol wrinkled his brow and grabbed his glass of water. “Confess what?”

Suzy just ignored him and waited for Ji Eun to reply.

Ji Eun, on the other hand, looked at Suzy with glimmering eyes and a bashful smile.

“What?” Suzy asked with a curious and excited tone.

Ji Eun shyly nodded with crimson cheeks, making Suzy widened her eyes. “Really? What did Luhan say?”

Hearing his name, Chanyeol almost choked himself and coughed. “Waitwhat? What do you mean?”

Ji Eun dreamily clasped her hands together and batted her lashes. “I just confessed to Luhan.”

Chanyeol huffed in disbelief. “Wow..You? Pft. What did he say?”

Ji Eun just shrugged. “I don’t know…He said he’ll think about it.”

Suzy chuckled. “Oh my dancing goblins…I’m so happy for you.”

Chanyeol just rolled his eyes and continued to focus his attention on the textbook he’s reading.

“I think he loves it.” Ji Eun said, talking to Suzy.

“Yeah of course. That pink paper bag contains your feelings.” Suzy said with a wink. “He accepted it anyway.”

Ji Eun bit her lower lip and cupped her crimson cheeks.

Hearing Suzy’s words, Chanyeol’s ears perked up. “Pink paper bag…?”

Suzy nodded with a smile. “Ji Eun gave him a chocolate and a card.”

Chanyeol suddenly remembered when he saw Luhan at the classroom with a paper bag and how Luhan crumpled a piece of paper.

 

It was dismissal time when Chanyeol zipped his bag after fixing his things and he was the only one left in the classroom. After that, he quickly made his way outside but suddenly stopped when he saw a pink paper bag lying beside the chair of Luhan. He remembered that that’s what Luhan was holding when he went in after their break time. He just shrugged the thought away and left.

 

Chanyeol suddenly quieted. He was sure that he saw the annoyance in Luhan’s face when he entered the classroom with a paper bag but however, Ji Eun was completely happy right now.

He just found it unbelievable because he knows that there are girls that give cards and other stuffs to Luhan and Luhan always rejects it and Chanyeol wondered if Ji Eun knows.

He looked at Ji Eun who’s answering the paper with a wide smile that radiates happiness and it would seem absurd if he told her that Luhan abandoned the pink paper bag which she gave so instead, Chanyeol just sighed and decided to keep it behind his façade.

 

~:~

 

The next day, Luhan was walking through the hallways as he made his way towards the garden when he suddenly stopped from his tracks. He then, remembered what just happened between him and Ji Eun yesterday and just by thinking of it made him cringe. It’s just that he completely thought that Ji Eun is not like the other girls that are head over heels for him. He thought that she’s a kind of girl that he can befriend because she’s not that kind of dramatic but then, he just realized that the true Ji Eun was just hiding behind a façade. Luhan doesn’t want girls like that and whenever he sees a letter in his locker, chills will automatically run down his spine. He’s just not ready…

Because he was trapped in a past…

 

Ji Eun was seated on the bench with a pout, she was waiting for Luhan but sadly, he didn’t come and it made Ji Eun’s face fell. She sighed deeply and went straight to the cafeteria to look for Suzy.

She scanned the place and saw Suzy together with a tall boy with curled bronze hair. She didn’t even need to wonder who he is. She drearily made her way towards them and plopped on the chair beside Suzy, making the two teenagers surprised.

“Hey,” Suzy happily greeted.

Ji Eun gave a forced smile and opened her bento box.

“Why are you here?” Ji Eun asked Chanyeol since it’s kind of unusual that Chanyeol will join the two of them whenever it’s break time.

Chanyeol just shrugged. “It’s because we’re reviewing duhh. Where were you?”

“I’m at the garden. Wait, the Special Exam will start after this right?”

He nodded and took a sip from his bottled water.

Ji Eun widened her eyes. “Ahh I’m really nervous!”

Chanyeol just rolled his eyes. “So are we…Now go study while there’s still some time.”

Ji Eun gave him a salute and proceeded to the book that Chanyeol gave to her.

After a few minutes, the bell finally rang, disturbing the time of students with their beloved food and started to fill the hallways.

Suzy closed her bento box and fanned herself with her hand. “Omo I’m really nervous.”

Chanyeol just shrugged and patted Suzy’s shoulder. “You can do it. Don’t you remember? We got the knack when it comes to Exams. Duhh.”

Suzy chuckled and together, they bumped their fists with each other while Ji Eun, on the other hand, was quiet while her inside was completely nervous and shivering.

She was trying to do some breathing exercises when Chanyeol noticed her and how nervousness basked her face. He smirked and nudged her shoulder and Ji Eun almost jumped since she’s so caught up in her own world.

“You can do it.” Chanyeol said with complete assurance because he witnessed her improvement.

Ji Eun inhaled deeply and looked at Chanyeol with hopeful eyes. “You think so?”

He shrugged and locked the book between his arms. “Of course I am.”

Her lips curled up into a smile. “You’re right. If I passed this exam, I’ll be Luhan’s classmate.”

Hearing her words, Chanyeol rolled his eyes and ruffled his hair in annoyance. “Seriously, your world always revolves around him. Do this for yourself.”

Ji Eun shook her head, crossing her arms above her chest. “Whatever…”

“You’re so stubborn.” Chanyeol complained and bid his goodbye to Suzy who went to the Juniors’ building.

“Okay I need to go now. Good luck to you too Chanyeol.” Ji Eun said and waved her hand before proceeding to her classroom.

Chanyeol just nodded with a smile and watched her as she made her way inside.

*Do that for yourself. I don’t think Luhan likes you anyway.*

With that thought of him, Chanyeol let out a sigh and proceeded to his classroom.

 

~:~

 

Silence filled the classroom as the sunlight kissed the students through the windows. Everyone was focusing to the paper on their table that will give them the opportunity to be a part of the students of Section A. Ji Eun sighed and closed her eyes before fixing her gaze on the paper.

She blew a raspberry and gave her attention to the first question.

Ji Eun bit her lower lip as she read the words and then after that, a smile quickly came out from her lips.

*Well this is going to be easy…*

Time ran by until Ji Eun and the other three students were left in the classroom since they’re still not yet done.

 “Yes!” Ji Eun shouted and waved the paper up after answering the last question.

“Shhh!” The other student said, scratching his head.

Ms. Choi gave her a stern look, quieting Ji Eun.

Ji Eun bit her lower lip and stood up, giving the paper to her teacher.

“Thank you Ms. Ji Eun. You can go now.” Ms. Choi said with a smile after taking the paper from her hand.

Ji Eun smiled and went back to her seat to fix her things.

 

“Ji Eun!” Suzy shouted as soon as Ji Eun took a step outside her classroom.

She ran towards Ji Eun with a cheery face. “How was it?”

Ji Eun just shrugged. “I don’t know if I’ll pass but I answered some of the questions.”

Suzy chuckled and gave her thumbs up. “You’ll pass!”

“I hope so…” Ji Eun said and together, they made their way to the waiting area.

Chanyeol was already seated on one of the benches in the waiting area when they came.

He gave them a nod and gestured the two of them to sit beside him.

“So…is it easy?” He asked.

“Kind of,” Suzy said with full assurance.

He looked at Ji Eun who’s currently being caught up in her own oblivion.

“Ji Eun?”

She quickly spun around and looked at Chanyeol. “Mm?”

“How was it? Did you remember what we studied?” He questioned.

Her wide eyes turned like crescent moons and smiled. “Sort of,”

He nodded at her response when Suzy interrupted. “How about you Chanyeol?”

Hearing her question, Chanyeol just shrugged. “I think it’s easy.”

Suzy grimaced and nudged his shoulder. “Yeah yeah I know you’re smart.”

“Well I am…since birth.” Chanyeol replied and gave a wink at Suzy.

Suzy just chuckled at his response.

“Suzy, when will the results be announced?” Ji Eun asked as she bit her lower lip.

Suzy looked at Ji Eun. “On Friday I guess?”

“Ohh right…” Ji Eun mumbled and looked at the road across them, waiting for Soo Ri’s car to appear.

 

~:~

 

By the time Friday rolled in, Ji Eun was seated in front of the mirror while Suzy was tying her hair.

“There, perfect!” Suzy said, looking at Ji Eun with so much success, thinking that what she did to Ji Eun’s hair is a masterpiece. The two of them were already wearing their PE uniforms and Suzy asked Ji Eun if she could tie up her hair into a bun and much to her relief, Ji Eun agreed.

“Okay, today is the announcement.” Ji Eun said with so much excitement as they made their way downstairs.

“Nervous?” Suzy asked, fiddling her fingers on the strap of her bag.

Ji Eun inhaled deeply and nodded, making Suzy tapped her back. “Don’t worry,”

When the three of them already arrived to their destination, Chanyeol gave a salute to the two girls and went straight to his classroom.

“Wait, how will I know if I passed?” Ji Eun asked in confusion.

Suzy tapped her chin with her fingers. “Well since you’re a senior, the results for seniors will be posted on the bulletin board in the seniors’ building.”

Ji Eun clasped her hands together, completely nervous. “Alright,”

“I need to go now. See you later!” Suzy said and bid her goodbye to Ji Eun and Ji Eun did the same.

When Ji Eun made her way to her seat, she kept quiet and she continued to nibble her thumb, not even having the idea that it finally became her mannerism whenever she’s in a panicky mode.

She could almost hear some of her classmates, talking about the Special Exam and how they also wish to be a part of Section A. She sighed and realized that she’s not the only one who’s having a desire to be a section A student.

Silence conquered the classroom after the students greeted their teacher a good morning when she finally entered. “Okay class, I think you are all aware about the results for the Special Exam. It will be posted after break time. I give an advance congratulations to those who passed while to the students who didn’t pass, it’s okay. I know you all did your best.”

Hearing her teacher’s explanation made Ji Eun more nervous and her hope is slowly fading.

She didn’t manage to give her full attention during the class discussions since she’s so caught up in her own abyss of anxiousness.

Every now and then, she would glance at the clock on the wall while biting her lower lip. Realizing that there’s still a lot of time before break time, she pouted and cursed the time because it seems like it’s already been a lifetime even though a few minutes had just passed. Time became slower the more Ji Eun take notice of it so she decided to just try to give her attention to the discussion since in that way, she would be able to be obscure when it comes to time.

After hours that seemed like forever, the bell finally rang, sending electrics of excitement and worry throughout her body. Soo Ri didn’t give them bento boxes again so she fished out her money from the small pocket of her bag before wounding her way to the cafeteria.

Ji Eun quickly spotted Suzy along with Hana and Jia settled on one of the wooden tables. She freely made her way to Suzy and patted her shoulders. “Hey,”

“Ji Eun! Hello!” Suzy greeted while is full of fries.

Ji Eun gave her a smile and excused herself since she’ll buy some snacks first and Suzy nodded in agreement.

After getting a tray, she went in line when someone poked her back, making her spun around. She saw Chanyeol behind her and when the two of them met gazes, he gave Ji Eun a wink while Ji Eun just rolled her eyes. “Need help in buying again?” He asked with a playful smirk.

Ji Eun vehemently shook her head. “No thanks, I already learned when you helped me a few days ago.”

“Wow, you’re really learning.” Chanyeol said with a surprised tone which is much like a tease to Ji Eun.

The two of them proceeded to choose some snacks when Ji Eun murmured. “Chanyeol?”

“Mm?”

“Luhan is your classmate right?”

Being tired of the same topic again, he just nodded in annoyance.

“I haven’t seen him since I confessed.” She whispered, making sure that Chanyeol was the only one who hears it.

“Really?” Chanyeol said, even though he knew that Luhan is with his friends.

Ji Eun nodded with a pout and paid the lady, and Chanyeol did the same.

“Looks like the results will be posted in a few minutes…” Chanyeol muttered.

She sighed deeply. “Yeah…”

“Make sure you’ll pass okay? I want to know that tutoring you is not a waste.” He said with a grin but it slowly faded when he saw the seriousness in her face, making him nudged her shoulders.

“I don’t know if I’ll pass.” Ji Eun muttered, looking at her shoes.

He just rolled his eyes. “Oh c’mon, don’t be such a pessimist.”

Ji Eun hesitantly nodded before parting their ways.

 

~:~

 

Ji Eun decided to finish her food early and quickly went to the garden with hopes that she’ll see the boy with a golden hair sitting on one of the benches while his calloused fingers meet the strings of his black guitar but much to her disappointment, no one was there.

She heaved her shoulders and drearily dragged her feet to one of the benches. She puffed her cheeks and looked at how the grasses sway with the friendly wind at the moment when she saw a ball rolling. A smile played on her lips and she quickly got up to pick it when she suddenly saw Myungsoo.

“Myungsoo?” She said, tightening her grip around the ball.

Seeing her at the garden, he widened his eyes in surprise. “Oh hey Ji Eun. What’re you doing here?”

*I’m waiting for someone…* Ji Eun just shrugged. “Nah, I’m just taking a stroll around. You?”

He nodded at the ball she’s holding. “Well my ball just rolled here so I came to pick it up.”

Hearing his words, Ji Eun gave the ball to him. “Oh so this is yours.”

Myungsoo dribbled it when the bell finally rang and Ji Eun’s anxiousness came back again.

“Oh no, the results will be posted now right?” Ji Eun nervously questioned.

Myungsoo nonchalantly nodded and to his surprise, Ji Eun suddenly ran away from him, making him follow behind. He then, realized that she was heading to the seniors’ bulletin board.

He chuckled and shook his head and decided to just walk while looking at Ji Eun who’s trying her best to look at the results since there were a lot of students who’s also checking it.

Some students went out of the crowd with sadness basked on their faces while some were so jolly as if they won a lottery. Ji Eun tried to tiptoe but with that height of hers against the tall guys in front of her, she failed. She went in the corner and decided to wait for the crowd to calm down.

After a few minutes, she saw an opening and she quickly widened her eyes before approaching it just like a mouse.

“Excuse me,” She muttered and sighed in success after reaching the bulletin board.

Ji Eun gulped heavily as she looked at number one.

“Kim Myungsoo…” She whispered then proceeded to the next numbers, not even having the idea that she knew Myungsoo.

She was looking for her name while beads of sweat were rolling on her forehead when she finally reached the twenty eight. And to her surprise, her name was printed beside it.

Unrecognizable excitement started to flow with her blood through her veins and Ji Eun almost swore that her heart was beating so fast because of her success. She covered her face in so much happiness and jumped with joy before moving away from the crowd. Seeing her adorable outburst, Myungsoo went towards her. “Why so happy?”

Hearing his voice, Ji Eun spun around and saw him. “I passed!”

Myungsoo gave her a cheery smile. “Really? Then we’ll be classmates. Congrats…”

Ji Eun chuckled with a high-pitch tone and started to bounce again and all could Myungsoo do was to watch her in amusement when one of his friends called him. He bade his goodbye to Ji Eun and Ji Eun did the same.

“Happy?”

Recognizing the familiar deep voice, Ji Eun turned around and saw Chanyeol while a playful smirk was slowly showing on his face.

“Oh Pixie Hollow! I did it!” Ji Eun shouted in happiness and she suddenly wrapped her arms around Chanyeol with a winning smile because she knew that she couldn’t have done it without him. Chanyeol was somehow surprised at her sudden movement but since he doesn’t want to destroy her current gladness, he also wrapped his arms around her that made Chanyeol’s lips pull into the faintest imprint of a smile. “Thank you Chanyeol,”

Ji Eun knew that she said it with all her heart and once again, the beauty inside her slowly flicked a light.


A message from Neverland...

I saw FindingSunshine with a wide smile full of happiness when she realized that her wish came true. 
So to all those wonderful creatures that took a time to make her wish come true, thank you. And for that, I give you an additional cup of
pixie dusts! *sprinkling*

 

Yours truly,
An unknown garden fairy from Neverland