Someday

The Peculiar Girl

"Seriously, where are you taking me?" Chanyeol questioned which caused Ji Eun to stop. The both of them were at the middle of the hallway, not having an idea where they were heading.

Ji Eun heaved her shoulders and sighed in defeat. "I...I don't know."

Chanyeol gave her a frown.

"It's just," She sighed, "I want to go far from the library. Just...somewhere."

"Well, I don't know what's gotten into you but I think I know exactly where that 'somewhere' is." The boy said and gestured her to come with him. Luckily, she did.

They both pass the cafeteria and although Ji Eun doesn't have an idea where this boy is taking her, she commanded her feet to follow.

Realizing where they were, Ji Eun understood that Chanyeol took her at the school's garden.

"Ah," She nodded, "I think this is better than the library."

Hearing her statement, Chanyeol stared at her, bewildered. "We're not there yet."

"Huh?"

"Better than here," He replied and kept walking while Ji Eun followed behind, wondering where in the world he'll take her.

They finally passed the faculty and Science laboratory and much to the girl's surprise, Chanyeol went behind the building.

The sound of their steps were barely heard and after walking in a few minutes, Ji Eun stood frozen on the ground, completely not having an idea what the place was.

"This is it." Chanyeol nodded. "This is 'somewhere'."

There was a fountain at the center. It was obviously old and doesn't have any water or any fishes but there were a few coins.

Surrounding it were stoned benches which are still in good condition.

"This was a lovely place when I was still a freshman. Not until they build this laboratory in front." Chanyeol nodded at the building. "Students stopped going here so it finally became abandoned and the principal decided to put the rule that no one should go here anymore which I found ridiculous."

Ji Eun looked around and placed her bag on one of the benches.

"I never thought that there's a place like this in school."

Chanyeol leaned on the back of the bench. "I heard from one of the teachers that they'll renovate this next year. Sadly, I won't be here anymore. I'm already a college student that time."

Ji Eun clicked her tongue. "That is kind of sad."

"I know." Chanyeol nodded. "This will probably be my last visit here."

"Then it's a privilege that you brought me here with you." 

The boy smiled at her statement and gazed at her books. "Well then, let's review now."

Agreeing, Ji Eun took out her pen and a sheet of paper.

Chanyeol sat beside her and started to state some important highlights.

Ji Eun nodded to every word he said when out of the blue, she just stared at the paper and started to scribble on it.

The boy was reading something on the book when he stared at Ji Eun who was blankly drawing circles on the paper.

He stopped talking. "Ji Eun,"

She stayed still.

"Ji Eun,"

Nothing.

Sighing, he nudged her shoulder using the book that he was holding, causing her to snapped back from her incoherent blank abyss.

"H-huh?"

"I won't waste my time saying words to someone who's not listening." Chanyeol pointed out. 

The girl pursed her lips, completely guilty.

"There's something bothering you, isn't it?"

She stayed quiet and nodded.

"Then instead of reviewing, spend this time by taking some fresh air."

Ji Eun looked at him, feeling sorry for what she had done. "No, I'll read."

He raised one of his eyebrows as he watched her grab a book and read it.

Chanyeol knew that although she looked so eager, her heart was not on what she's reading.

So he just stood up and walked towards one of the trees that towered the both of them.

"Where are you going?" She asked.

"Gonna ease my mind." Chanyeol replied. Out of nowhere, he just suddenly climbed a tree which surprised Ji Eun.

He settled on the nearest strong branch and took out his iPod and plugged in his earphones.

The girl was somehow jealous at what he's doing. "Hey, you still need to tutor me."

"I changed my mind. Just keep on reading." Chanyeol smirked, annoying her.

He counted one to ten inside his mind and just before he could think of nine, Ji Eun stood up and approached him.

She looked up. "Can...can I climb there too?"

Hiding his grin, he raised his brow. "I thought you want to review instead of easing your mind?"

Ji Eun pouted and looked down on her shoes.

Chanyeol chuckled in the end as he shook his head. "I know you too well, Ji Eun."

Ji Eun smiled after seeing him patted the space beside him.

"You sure you know how to climb?" He asked and received a determined nod from her.

When she was almost there, Chanyeol reached out his hand.

He did his best to hide his smile as soon as she wrapped her hand on his.

In a few moments, the both of them were sitting on a branch, looking down on the empty fountain.

"Well this can help me ease my mind." She stated as she felt the rough texture of the branch.

Chanyeol removed his earphones. "Something's bothering you, right?"

She wanted to disagree but she just doesn't know why she always feel the urge to tell him the truth so in the end, she slowly nodded.

"I knew it." He tried to smile. "It's your heart, isn't it?"

"You know me too well." Ji Eun remarked, somehow glad at the fact that she just said.

Chanyeol smirked at her statement and looked up to see the sun peeking through the spaces of the tree's branches, making him squint his eyes. "Can you tell me?"

"Hm?"

"Tell me what's bothering you."

There was a long minute of silence which caused Chanyeol to bit his lip. "Sorry...I just want you to know that you can let out what you're feeling because I'm willing to m--"

Ji Eun chuckled at his bustle of words which startled the boy. "Oh Chanyeol, when will you ever realize that you're the only one that I talk to when it comes to my feelings?"

Chanyeol blinked. "I just realized it now."

"Well now you know." 

A gently gush of wind brushed their skins as Ji Eun finds the right words to say. 

"Luhan," she started, "I think he wants me back."

Chanyeol wrinkled his brow. "You sure?"

"I heard him talking to Sehun at the library."

Hearing her reply, Chanyeol looked down at their feet that were dangling. "So that's why you went out of there."

There was a minute of silence that wrapped the both of them. Chanyeol didn't know but something inside him was heavy.

"Do..." Chanyeol said, "do you want him back too?"

Ji Eun took a deep breath after hearing his question. "No,"

The boy was astonished at her sudden answer. He was expecting her to complain or grieve or jump for joy but she didn't.

"Are you serious?" He asked, somehow overwhelmed at her answer. "You said it with so much assurance."

"I learned something, Chanyeol." Ji Eun responded. 

"What?"

"That I should never let myself attach to someone." She replied. "In that way, I won't be hurt."

"How could you be so sure of that?"

"People come and go, Chanyeol." Ji Eun said. "They will walk in your life and make you feel as if you're the happiest person alive yet there will be a time when they will walk out and leave you worse than before."

Ji Eun averted her gaze to him only to realize that he was looking at her also. She didn't know but she somehow saw the hurt in his eyes when she said those words.

"You've got to realize that not all people are meant to leave your life." He mumbled. "You must look around to see that there are actually people who are willing to stay with you forever."

"That is true." She nodded. "But I decided to not get too attached anymore."

Chanyeol cocked his head to the side. "Why not?"

*Because I'll be leaving soon. That's why.*

Instead of telling him the truth, Ji Eun shook her head. "It's...complicated."

Ji Eun settled her gaze on the ground. She felt as if time ran passed her as she sat on the branch.

She was organizing her thoughts when Chanyeol suddenly held her chin and lifted her head which startled Ji Eun.

His eyes were unreadable while a smile was imprinted on his face. She was used to seeing him like that but right at that moment, she felt awkward at how his stare bore into her. 

"Ji Eun," he said, "there are people who are willing to be with you forever."

The girl wrinkled her brow but didn't remove her eyes from him. "How do you know?"

The question roamed around for a couple of minutes but Chanyeol didn't let out any word nor a hum. He just stared at her, studying how her eyes look whenever she's wrapped by curiosity.

Ji Eun was starting to get conscious all of a sudden. She wondered if there's a dirt on her face and why in the world is he staring at her like that.

She knew that she was beginning to blush when Chanyeol smiled and broke their eye contact.

"I'll tell it to you someday."

Hearing his statement, Ji Eun frowned. "Just tell it to me now."

"Patience, missy. There's still a lot of time for us." 

The girl blinked at his statement. He needs to tell her what he wants to say right now because there isn't enough time!

"But there isn't enough...time."

"Don't be such a pessimist." Chanyeol rolled his eyes and just before Ji Eun could protest, he jumped and landed on the ground smoothly.

"Hey," She muttered as she saw him gathering his things from the bench.

Ji Eun jumped just like he did but however, she didn't landed smoothly.

"Ouch," she complained which caught his attention.

Chanyeol quickly ran to her and help her stand up. "You alright?"

The girl nodded although she felt a slight sting. 

She decided to sit on the bench first and when she did, Chanyeol knelt on the ground and checked her knee only to realize that there was a small cut.

He was about to shrug it away when he was surprised to see Ji Eun crying as she looked at her tiny cut.

Chanyeol huffed at her reaction. "C'mon Ji Eun. It's just a small cut."

"But it hurts!"

"It's not even bleeding!" He muttered yet in the end, he took out his handkerchief from his pocket and tied it around her knee.

"Alright, let's go to the clinic."

Ji Eun wiped her tears away as Chanyeol help her stood up.

She saw him gather her things and instead of giving it to her, he carried it.

Chanyeol walked ahead as the girl followed him behind.

When the both of them finally reached the clinic, Ji Eun sat on a plastic chair while Chanyeol stood by the door.

The nurse was somehow astonished at how small her cut was but nevertheless, she plastered a pink band aid on it.

When the older one left for a minute, Chanyeol sat beside her and flicked her knee.

"Hey!" She slapped his arm while Chanyeol just chuckled in return.

"You're such a crier." He teased.

Ji Eun just rolled her eyes but in the end, she smiled. "Thanks though. I mean, you're always there whenever I need help."

The boy ruffled her hair. "It's a pleasure."

Ji Eun pursed her lips and looked down. 

She'll definitely miss him.

"Hey," She mumbled, "What is it that you want to say?"

"Huh?"

"You know, when we're at the tree."

Chanyeol smirked. "Just forget it."

"Bu--"

"You'll know it someday."

*But there won't be a someday anymore.*

 

  ~:~

 

The both of them were on their way to the waiting area when Ji Eun stared at the giant that was walking ahead of her.

Time is running out. She needs to tell it to him and to the people she cherishes the most.

Ji Eun knew that this will hurt them but it is more painful if she'll leave without leaving any explanation.

She knew that Chanyeol is a kind of guy who's tired of getting left behind and Ji Eun doesn't want to make him feel it again that is why she'll really do her best to let him know.

"Ch--Chanyeol," She called, causing him to turn to her with a questioning look.

"Yeah?"

Ji Eun blinked. "Uhh...we need to review again tomorrow."

"What? The last day of Finals is tomorrow." Chanyeol pointed out and started to walk again.

"But," She exclaimed, "well let's meet the day after that then."

"Ji Eun, it's already spring break."

"Then visit me and Suzy."

"Mom and I will be out of town."

"For goodness' sake, Chanyeol!" Ji Eun broke down and stopped from her tracks.

The boy looked back with a surprised face and saw her looking down.

He slowly approached her, wondering why she became dejected all of a sudden.

"Hey, what's wrong?"

"It's just..." Heaving a sigh, Ji Eun stared at her shoes. "It's just that I want to spend more time with you."

Hearing her words, Chanyeol blinked and failed to hide his smile. "Wait, did I hear it right? You? You want to spend more time with me?"

Ji Eun could clearly hear the tone of mockery in his voice which caused her to roll her eyes.

"So if I could put it in a short way," Chanyeol continued, "you, Lee Ji Eun, is missing me already."

Hearing his statement, the girl glared at him. "Then don't!"

Ji Eun turned around and angrily stomped her feet which caused Chanyeol to chuckle.

When she was already a few meters away, the boy scratched his head. "Hey!"

She looked back with an irritated face although at the back of her mind, she was glad he called her.

Chanyeol took a step towards her. "Why?"

"Huh?"

"Why do you want to meet me again?"

"W-well," Ji Eun said, "I just want us...to talk."

Hearing her response, he huffed. "To talk, huh? Right."

"What? Is something wrong with that?"

"Whatever you say," Chanyeol scratched his head while a smile was threatening to appear on his face.

"How about this," He continued, "I'll pick you up on Saturday. Third day of Spring break. We'll spend the day together and just like what you said, let's talk. For the whole day."

Ji Eun blinked at his words as she mentally counted her remaining days. 

She smiled at him and nodded her head in complete assurance. "Really? For the whole day? Okay!"

Chanyeol was surprised at her sudden excitement and he knew that he cannot deny the fact that it made him happy in a way he cannot explain.

"It's date then." He pointed out and without even waiting for any reply, he turned around and walked away.

Ji Eun nodded with a smile. "Alrig--wait what?"

Chanyeol smirked and waved his hand without looking back.

Ji Eun remembered her conversation with Suzy about date and realizing what Chanyeol had just said, she widened her eyes.

The latter was about to protest but in the end, she just signed and stared at his back as he walked away from her.

*Saturday, Chanyeol. Alright.*

*Saturday, I'll spend that day with you.*

*Saturday, I am hoping you could tell me what you want to tell me because I'll be gone.*

*Saturday, we'll have fun.*

*Saturday, I'll say thank you and goodbye.* 


FindingSunshine 2014|05|28