A better world

The Peculiar Girl

Chanyeol was busily reading a newspaper on the couch as the wind with a scent of pine tree enters the living room through the opened windows. Ji Eun hummed playfully, entering the room.

“Greetings, lousy Chanyeol…” She said, taking a seat beside him on the couch.

Chanyeol pretended he doesn’t hear anything and continue to read the paper.

“What’s that?” Asks Ji Eun, trying to take a peek to what he’s reading.

The boy irritatingly moved an inch away from her, ignoring her question.

“Oh so you’re deaf…” Ji Eun whispers with an assurance that Chanyeol should hear it.

“Would you just shut up?” Chanyeol said, flipping to the next page of the newspaper.

“Not until you tell me what’s that.” Ji Eun responses as she closes the space between her and Chanyeol.

“It’s a freakin’ newspaper,” He says, scratching his head in frustration. “Seriously I’m having doubts if your head contains something or it’s just full of air.” He added.

Ji Eun sharpens her eyes at Chanyeol, wrinkling her nose. “You said a lot of things while I just asked what that thing is.”

She moved away from Chanyeol in irritation, “How come you’re such a nuke while Suzy is such an angel.”  She muttered, noticing an odd rectangular thing with lots of buttons. It was a TV remote.

“Exotic,” She muttered, clicking the buttons.

Amidst of all the clicking, the television in front of them opened.

Ji eun widened her eyes in terror and quickly sticks herself to Chanyeol, holding tightly to his arms.

“W—w—what’s t—t-that?!” She screamed, pointing at the television.

Chanyeol was busily reading the newspaper when a pair of soft hand holds his arm, since he’s just wearing white shirt. A hint of shock entered him, making him flinched as he closes the newspaper.

He irritatingly shrugged Ji Eun away and grunted. “Hey what’s your problem?”

She looked at how her hands were tightened hard around his arm. Ji Eun realized what she’s doing and her hair automatically curtained herself, hiding her embarrassment. That was awkward.

After removing her hands from his arms, she moved an inches away from him. She stuck her tongue out, “Blame that exotic thing in front of us!”

Chanyeol raised his brows in frustration, *argh does she always needs to use deep words?!*

“How can I blame the television? You’re the one who freakin’ hold my arm out of nowhere!”

Ji Eun her head to the side, “Tele---what?”

Chanyeol, who’s tired of bickering with her, stood up, face palming himself. “Geez, are you for real…”

He rolled his eyes and left the room.

A few moments later, Suzy entered the living room with a Banana milk and saw Ji Eun standing in front of the television with a naïve face.

“So…you’re a fan of Phineas and Ferb?” Suzy asks, opening the carton of Banana milk.

“Suzy!” Ji Eun exclaims and stood beside her, pointing at the television.

“What do you call that thing?” She innocently asked.

Suzy weirdly looks at her, “Uhh…TV?”

Ji Eun pouted, “Eh? But that lousy Chanyeol said it was a Tele…tele..”

"Television,” Suzy added.

Ji Eun nodded, “Yes.”

“TV is the short term of television.” Suzy said and took a seat on the couch, carefully studying Ji Eun.

“What do you call this kind of creatures? They don’t exactly look like us.” Ji Eun asks, looking at the boy with an orange striped shirt and a triangular face.

Suzy wrinkled her brow, “Well…because it’s just a cartoon.”

Ji eun touched the television in amazement, “Ohh but how did they get inside this small thing? Is this their world?”

Suzy tried to laugh in an awkward way, “They’re not real. People just made it.”

Ji Eun nodded, “Ohh…but why did they make such a thing?”

“Are they fortune tellers? But it was odd because I tried to talk to them a while ago and asked them what will be my future like but this orange head girl said ‘mom Phineas and Ferb are making a title sequence’ and I don’t think that’s an answer to my question.”

Suzy stared at her and let out a hilarious laugh, making Ji Eun confused.

“Seriously Ji Eun, you’re absolutely funny.” She said between her laughter.

Ji Eun didn’t completely understand her response so she tried to laugh with her.

After a few moments, Ji Eun looked at Suzy, “But are they fortune tellers?”

Suzy shook her head, “Duuhh it’s just for entertainment. They don’t actually talk to us because it’s just recorded.”

“Ohh right…entertainment.”

Suzy cocked her head, “Seriously, you don’t know this thing?”

Ji Eun widened her eyes and stood up, “Uhh no I’m just trying to make you laugh. Uhh…ha.ha.”

She went out of the room without even waiting for Suzy’s response.

Suzy didn’t know if Ji Eun is just joking around because if she really is, well she’s a great actress.

 

~:~

 

“Wow…mom bought you a lot of clothes…awesome!” Suzy said as she and Ji Eun rummages the paper bags. There are shorts, skirts, pants, shirts, jackets etc.

“I don’t even wear these kinds of clothes but they’re adorable.” Ji Eun complimented while scanning the cottony texture of a white shirt.

“These clothes will make you comfortable instead of the big gown you wore last night.” Soo Ri said.

Remembering something, Suzy looks at her mom, “Why is she wearing a gown last night anyway?”

Ji Eun widened her eyes and gave Soo Ri a bewildered look.

Soo Ri however manages to escape the topic, “Ohh the truck is here. Wait a minute.” She left without even waiting for a reply.

“A truck?” Suzy wrinkled her nose and looks at Ji Eun, “Wait here.”

The girl nodded as a response and watched Suzy until she disappeared from her sight.

Suzy went out and saw two men with built-up bodies carrying a large box.

“What’s that?” Suzy asked her mom while the men put the box inside the living room.

“It’s Ji Eun’s bed.” Soo Ri answers, taking out some bucks from her wallet, giving it to the men as tip.

The men gratefully took it with a bow and left.

Ji Eun heard her name being called from the first floor so she quickly dragged herself downstairs.

“Tada!” Suzy exclaimed with wiggling hands towards the box.

“What’s that?” Ji Eun mutters, taking a step toward it.

Suzy clapped her hands, “It’s your bed.”

“Where’s Chanyeol by the way?” Soo Ri asked and took a sip from a glass of water.

Suzy scratches her head, “I don’t have an idea but maybe he’s with his girlfriend.”

Soo Ri sighs, “Too bad, so I guess we’ll fix this without his help.”

They fixed the bed for an hour and when they finally finished, Ji Eun and Suzy looked at each other and gave a nod as if they can talk with each other through eyes. Both of them went on top of the new yellow bed and jumped gleefully. Laughter fills the air when Soo Ri entered the room with a tray of cookies.

“Girls, have some snack.” Soo Ri announces, placing the tray on Suzy’s bed.

Ji Eun was familiar with the cookies so she didn’t ask and happily took a bite. After letting the taste linger in , she gave Soo Ri a delighted look, telling that it was delicious.

“This has always been my dream you know…” Suzy muttered right after she finished her cookie.

“Hmm?”

“I’ve always wanted to have a sister, the one that will share the room with me and do some fun activities together.” She explained, ending it with a shy smile.

Soo Ri pats her head, “Ji Eun’s here you know…”

Suzy chuckled, “Yeah absolutely,”

“You’ll be my sister for now right?” Suzy asked, looking at Ji Eun.

Ji Eun smiled with her crescent eyes, “Of course!”

Soo Ri left the room with a smile, allowing the two to have some time with each other.

“I’ll take a bath first, fixing the bed made me sweaty.” Suzy said, standing up.

She took a white towel from her closet and went outside.

Ji Eun on the other hand, stares at the door for a while.

The moments that happened between her, Suzy and Soo Ri makes her smile as it repeats in her mind.

She was somehow jubilant at the fact that these people saw her as a part of a family. They saw her as a person, unlike the people in Fantasia who always give her cold stares as if she’s an unacceptable creature ever existed.

They somehow radiate something towards Ji Eun that makes her comfortable. She even wonders if Suzy is Juniel in disguise because the way Suzy acts at her reminded her of Juniel. She found the thought unbelievable and smiled. Maybe this world is not cruel at her after all. Maybe this punishment will be great. Because in this place, she feel accepted. Maybe this world contains the inevitable happiness that Ji Eun has been looking for. Maybe this world will fill up the empty spaces in her that Fantasia failed to give. Maybe…Maybe…

 


 

I just want you to know that this morning, I read your comments about Chapter Six and Seven. They were all so heart-warming and since I'm an emotional person, my eyes became watery. Well yes, I'm a crier. I want you guys to know that your comments are enough to be an encouragement for me to write more. I read them all and managed to reply some of them. You guys are all a blessing. Thank you so much. Thank you also for the people who subscribed and upvoted my story. All of you are a blessing. God bless you always.

With love,
FindingSunshine