Lollipop

The Peculiar Girl

Ji Eun’s eyes glimmered beneath the sun when she saw Luhan in the school’s garden.

“Hi Luhan!” She greeted and took a seat beside him.

He gave her a smile. “Hey Ji Eun.”

“What’re you doing?” Ji Eun asked, looking at the textbook that he’s holding.

“Oh…I’m reviewing for the Special Exam.” He responded, earning confusion from Ji Eun.

“Ahh I remember our teacher discussed something about the Special Exam.” She said.

“It always makes me nervous you know.” Luhan said, proceeding to the next paragraph.

She gave him a questioning look.

“Well…It’s just that even though I’m already a student in Section A, there’s a possibility that I’ll be removed if I didn’t pass the exam.” He stated but a part of him knows that he’ll pass. Besides, he’s one of the top five smart students in Section A including Chanyeol.

“What will happen if I pass the Special Exam?” Ji Eun asked, somehow getting excited.

Luhan averted his gaze from the book. “You’ll be a part of the students in Section A.”

Her ears perked up when she heard his explanation. “Wait a minute…it means we’ll be classmates?”

She became more excited when Luhan nodded.

Just before she could reply, the bell rang and they went together to Seniors’ building and parted their ways when they went to their own classrooms.

That time, there’s only one thing that’s roaming around Ji Eun’s mind…she needs to pass the Special Exam.

 

~:~

 

It was already dismissal time when Ji Eun was putting back her notebooks inside her knapsack. She was the only one left since she still copied their notes on the board.

She quickly made her way outside after zipping her bag and realized that Chohee was waiting for her outside her classroom.

Ji Eun stopped on her tracks, remembering that she needs to apologize.

“Chohee!” she happily exclaimed as if nothing happened between the two of them and Chohee was somehow astonished at her sudden outburst.

“H-hey…” Chohee stuttered.

Ji Eun gave her a playful grin. “Look…I just want to say I’m really sorry for everything that happened.”

She apologized, making sure that she said it wholeheartedly and full of sincere.

Hearing her words, Chohee smiled. “Actually, I’m here to apologize too.”

Ji Eun widened her eyes. “Really?”

Chohee nodded. “So uhh…Sorry and I forgive you.”

“I forgive you too.” Ji Eun responded and the both of them shook hands.

After a minute the two of them we’re now laughing, having a fun a conversation.

Chanyeol was on his way to Ji Eun’s room and saw how the two were enjoying themselves and it made him confused.

“Chanyeol!” Ji Eun exclaimed, waving her hand.

He studied the two girls, thinking that maybe their problems are already resolved.

“I’m here to pick you up.” He said and Ji Eun bade her goodbye to Chohee.

“So…the two of you are okay now?” He asked.

Ji Eun nodded. “Yeah—wait, where’s Suzy?”

“She went to her classmate’s house. They have a project.” He responded and the both of them made their way towards the waiting area.

Ji Eun was rubbing her hand on her lap as she waits patiently for Soo Ri while Chanyeol was just staring blankly ahead. Talk about ‘moving on’.

He saw how boredom covered her face and Chanyeol remembered that he has three lollipops in his bag since that’s what he do whenever there’s a free time in his classroom. He’ll read a random book while a lollipop was stuck in his mouth.

He removed his knapsack from his shoulders and fished out two lollipops from one of its small pockets.

“Hey want some?” He asked.

Ji Eun cocked her head to the side and looked at the weird thing on his hand.  “What’s that?”

“Uhh…a lollipop.” Chanyeol said as he handed it to her, remembering his conversation with Suzy.

“Right. A lollipop. So how will I eat this?” She asked as her thumb and index finger were pressed tightly on the stick.

He cleared his throat. “You’ll put it in your mouth of course. You’ll hold the stick.”

Chanyeol proceeded to eat his own and ignored Ji Eun.
Ji Eun swallowed the lollipop while holding the stick but however, she didn’t like the taste.

 

“Puss N’ Boots…The taste is so bland. Blehck.” Ji Eun said, pretending to puke.

Chanyeol looked at her with wide eyes and flicked her forehead. “What the?! You’re supposed to remove the wrapper!”
Ji Eun gave him a confused face. “H-huh?”

He ruffled his hair in frustration and took the lollipop from her. “You just freakin’ ate the wrapper…no wonder the taste is so bland.”

Chanyeol grimaced as he held the stick, looking at the damp unwrapped lollipop. “Eish. You unwrap it. It’s already covered by your saliva.”

Ji Eun pouted and took it from him. “How?”

“Seriously…are you for real…” He muttered and took out his handkerchief from his pocket and took back the lollipop from her.
He wiped it using his hankie before opening it. “Ugh…gross”

When he’s finally done, he handed it to her together with his handkerchief. “Here…you take my hankie since it now has your saliva.”

Ji Eun just set aside his hankie and stared at the lollipop.

“A lollipop demands to be eaten, not to be stared at.” Chanyeol said and rolled his eyes, completely frustrated.

He looked at her with raised eyebrow and witnessed how astonished she was when she swallowed it.

“I’ve tasted heaven!” She exclaimed.

He just looked at her weirdly. “Right…haven’t you seen a lollipop since you were a kid?”

Ji Eun stopped from her tracks and sensed Chanyeol’s doubt. “Oh…well…why do you care.”

“Every question deserves an answer. That’s your line.” He reminded.

Ji Eun rolled her eyes. “Ugh, of course I already saw a l—lollipop.”

Chanyeol stuck the lollipop in his mouth and crossed his arms on his chest. “Oh reaaally…”

There was an awkward silence and Chanyeol can sense that Ji Eun is getting uncomfortable but he let silence wrapped them.

However, amidst their silent tension, Luhan just got out from the gate.
Ji Eun’s eyes quickly glimmered and stood from her seat, making Chanyeol surprised.

“Luhan!”

Luhan spun around and saw Ji Eun running towards him.

He gave her a smile. “Hey Ji Eun”

“Going home already?” She asked.

Luhan nodded as a response and saw the silver car waiting for him. “Yeah, my driver’s already here.”

“How about you? Why are you still here?” He questioned.

Ji Eun shrugged. “Chanyeol and I were still waiting for his mom.”

He looked at the waiting area from afar and saw Chanyeol seated on one of the bench with a lollipop. His gaze went back to Ji Eun and realized that she also has a lollipop. “Looks like you two are having fun.”

She happily nodded.

“Where’s Suzy?” He questioned.
“Well Chanyeol told me she’s at her classmate’s house to do a project.” She responded and looked at his golden hair sparkling beneath the sun in a cheerful abandon.

He pursed his lips and nodded. “Well I have to go.”

“Keep safe,” He added and ruffled her hair.

Her smile almost reached her ears and she swore that she heard her heart sang when his hand landed on her hair. It was a perfect moment for her.

Luhan went to the car and gave a final wave. She walked back to the waiting area unaware that her face is as red as a tomato.

Chanyeol, on the other hand, watched the two conversed and he found it unbelievable that Ji Eun is close with Luhan.

“My prince is sooo amazing~” Ji Eun sang in a perfect high pitch and Chanyeol can’t deny the fact that her voice is good.

He snickered. “Wow you’re prince?”
His fingers made an imaginary quotation when he said the word ‘you’re’.

She jubilantly settled beside Chanyeol and nodded. “Uh-huh.”

He rolled his eyes. “In your dreams…”

Ji Eun just ignored him and let herself get drown on her thoughts as she replay in her mind the events between her and Luhan.

“When did you two become close?” He asked, raising a brow.

She clasped her hands together and batted her eyelashes. “It’s none of your business.”

“It’s none of your business...” He mocked and gave her a grimace. “In the midst of a hundred boys in school, why him…” He muttered.

Ji Eun scrunched her nose. “Eh? Why? Is your blood boiling because of him?”

He sent her a glare. “It’s just that he’s—“

Before he can continue his explanation, a car stopped in front of the waiting area and honked.

The both of them looked at the car and realized that it was Soo Ri’s so they quickly wore their bags and went towards the car. Chanyeol occupied the passenger’s seat while Ji Eun settled herself at the back.

“Greetings, Auntie…” Ji Eun said as soon as she landed on the seat at the back.

“Hello Ji Eun. So kids, how was your day?” She asked.

Ji Eun blushed as she remembered what happened a while ago. “It was grand!”

Chanyeol just focused his attention on the world outside through the window. “The school’s special exam is near.”

Soo Ri nodded. “Oh really…did you start to study now?”

He shrugged. “Well yeah sort of.”

Hearing the ‘special exam’ from his lips, Ji Eun’s ears perked up. “Dancing autumn fairies! Speaking of special exam…I want to pass it.”

Soo Ri grinned. “What an energy you got there. You’ll gonna pass it as long as you study.”

Chanyeol smirked. “Pshhh…Let’s see if she can pass that. She can’t even solve a simple equation.”

Soo Ri slapped his arm, making Chanyeol winced. “Ow!”

He rubbed his arm and looked at Soo Ri who’s glaring at him before returning her attention on the road.

Ji Eun sneered and clasped her hands together. “I know I can do it if…Chanyeol will help me.”

Chanyeol rolled his eyes and boringly rested his elbows on the car’s door.

“He’s smart right?” She asked and Soo Ri happily nodded. “That’s a brilliant idea.”

“That’s not going to happen.” He interrupted.

Hearing his rejection, Ji Eun heaved her shoulders. “Why not?”

“Duh I’m gonna study too.” He replied in a matter of fact tone.

Soo Ri furrowed his brow. “Chanyeol…that’s rude. Studying with her is fun.”

Chanyeol gawked at her statement. “Yeah right, I’m facing the wrath of the Titans.” He muttered as a whisper.

“What?” Soo Ri questioned.

He exhaled deeply. “Nothing…”

 

~:~

 

When the three of them finally reached their house, Soo Ri went straight to the kitchen to prepare some homemade biscuits. Chanyeol and Ji Eun went upstairs and before Chanyeol can enter his room, Ji Eun blocked him. “Will you study with me then?”

He gave her a blank expression. “Move…”

She pouted and gave her the most adorable face she can ever do. “Please”

He sighed and rolled his eyes, meaning to say no.

Ji Eun bit her lower lip and out of nowhere, she suddenly kneeled in front of him and clasped her hands together. “Please Chanyeol, I’m begging you…”

He was surprised at her sudden movement and all he could do is to ruffle his hair and sighed in annoyance. “What’s the matter with you?”

“I just want to be a part of Section A so I can be close with Luhan.” She said, still kneeling before him.

Hearing her reason, he raised his eyebrow and huffed in disbelief. “Oh so you mean you’ll study just because of him?”

She cutely pursed her lips and stood up before giving him a nod.

He smirked. “You’re unbelievable.”

“It’s just that I like him just as you like Minah. Help me please?” She said full of hope and Chanyeol somehow flinched when he heard her name.

Ji Eun held his arms and shook him, ignoring how tall he is and continued to say please.

“Please please please please please pretty plea—“

“Alright!” He exclaimed and removed himself from her grasp and rubbed his arms as if a virus just touched him.

Her eyes widened as it sparkled. “Really?!”

“What? You want me to take it back?”

She quickly shook her head. “Absolutely not,”

“Now can you please move? I need to change my clothes.” He muttered in frustration.

Ji Eun jubilantly moved and clapped her hands. “Thank you Chanyeol!”

“Yeah yeah whatever…” He responded and went inside his room.

 

~:~

 

By the time the dark sky rolled in, they already finished their dinner and Soo Ri suggested if the three of them should do the cleaning since she’s tired. They gave her a yes and Soo Ri went upstairs.

“I had fun at Jia’s house today.” Suzy said as she went towards the sink.

“Why did it become fun?” Ji Eun asked before taking a sip from a glass of water.

“Well we watched two movies.” Suzy said. “Okay, Chanyeol, you clean the dining table while Ji Eun and I will wash the dishes.”

He grumpily nodded and gave her a salute. “Yes ma’am…it seems like you’re older than me.”

She just rolled her eyes and focused her attention on the dishes on the sink and Ji Eun went beside her.

They started to do their chores and by the time Chanyeol was finally wiping the table with a damp cloth, Ji Eun opened a conversation.

“I always find faucet amazing.”

Suzy’s ears perked up and tried to be oblivious. “Ohh…really?”

Chanyeol kept his attention on the table while listening because even though he doesn’t want to, he can still hear them.

“Yeah, just like the shower, they produce a gushing rain.” Ji Eun stated.

Chanyeol stopped himself from laughing and Suzy gazed at him, signaling him to mind his own business.

“Ahh…” Suzy said, rinsing the spoons.

“In Fanta—I mean, yeah, they’re amazing.”

When the three of them finally finished, Ji Eun volunteered to go upstairs to have some night bath and left the two.

As soon as Ji Eun disappeared, the both of them gave each other a knowing look as if they can read their minds. “That was funny…and weird.” Chanyeol said.

Suzy sighed and nodded. “You think she grew up somewhere in a mountain that’s why she doesn’t even know these things?”

He wrinkled his brow. “You mean like, she’s poor?”

Suzy shrugged. “I don’t know…It’s just that…ugh whatever.”

Chanyeol locked the doors while Suzy quickly went upstairs and made her way to her mom’s room.

“Mom?” She whispered as she carefully opened the door and saw Soo Ri reading a book while lying on her bed. “Yes?”

Suzy closed the door and sat at the edge of the bed. “W-where did Ji Eun grow up?”

Hearing her words, Soo Ri removed her eyeglasses and cleared . “What do you mean?”

Her daughter shrugged. “Well it’s just that she always finds excitement through simple and small things.”

Soo Ri just stayed quiet and yawned, not knowing what to respond.

“Is her family poor?” Suzy questioned with a worried face.

Soo Ri gawked at her question and gave an awkward laugh. “O-of course not…what makes you say that?”

Suzy just scratched her head. “Ahh forget it. Have a good night sleep mom.”

She planted a kiss on her mom’s forehead and went outside, just in time when Chanyeol took his steps upstairs.

“I talked to mom.” Suzy whispered.

He gave her a questioning look. “Huh?”

“She didn’t answer when I asked if Ji Eun’s family is poor.” Suzy said.

“Wait, what exactly are you thinking?” Chanyeol asked.

Suzy sighed. “It’s just that maybe mom adopted Ji Eun because her family is poor.”

He weirdly looked at her. “Ohh…”

“Ah this is frustrating. Okay, I need to go now. Good night Chanyeol.” Suzy said and patted his shoulder.

When he finally entered his room, he knew that Suzy has a point but he remembered the time when Ji Eun mentioned something about her world. He ruffled his hair in annoyance and scolded himself for thinking such childish and immature thoughts.

Soo Ri, on the other hand, was staring blankly at the ceiling.

She knew that Ji Eun needs to be careful…if not, well Soo Ri needs to practice her explanation.

 


 

Hello wonderful readers!
Thank you for continuing to read this fic of mine and I really appreciate your patience. :)
About the Fantasia's words as Ji Eun's expression, I find it funny too. The idea just popped in my mind so I started to make some expressions that are related to fairytales. Waitwhat. Okay, I hope you guys like this chapter. 
Continue to be happy so that you'll be able to fly and reach Neverland

DFTBA! -Don't forget to be awesome-

Yours with a sprinkle of pixie dusts,
FindingSunshine