School

The Peculiar Girl

The days passed by quickly and Ji Eun was starting to get used to her surroundings.

It was Monday morning when the orange streaks of sun stretch out to the horizon beckoning the cicadas to make a sound.

“There! It fits you.” Suzy said, putting a headband on Ji Eun’s head.

Both of them were already wearing their uniforms and they’re just fixing their hairs.

Ji Eun and Suzy looked at the mirror for the last time and went out of the room, making their way towards the dining room.

Chanyeol was already seated around the table along with Soo Ri.

“Wow you two look nice.” Soo Ri complimented, winking at Suzy.

Chanyeol on the other hand, was just munching his breakfast with silence.

The two girls settled on their seat and proceeded to eat their breakfast.

“Oh by the way Chanyeol, since you’re the same level with Ji Eun, why don’t you accompany her at the room of Section C?” Soo Ri stated, removing her eyeglasses.

Chanyeol raised his brow, “Section C? She’s in the lowest section?”

Soo Ri gave him a glare while wiping her eyeglasses on the edge of her shirt, “Accompany her…”

The boy shook his head, “I can’t mom. I’m going to pick Minah from her house. We’ll go together.”

Soo Ri sighed, “Okay then.”

Chanyeol stood up from his seat and finished his glass of milk.

“Psh. Your life always revolves around Minah.” Suzy said with a wrinkled nose.

Chanyeol chuckled and ruffled her hair, “It’s because she’s my girlfriend.”

Suzy rolled her eyes, “Whatever you say…”

“Later,” Chanyeol said and slung his bag on his right shoulder.

Ji Eun looked at him, “Bye Chanyeol”

He astonishingly looked at Ji Eun and gave her a nod before leaving the house. *Well that’s unusual…*

 

~:~

 

Ji Eun was sitting at the back seat while Suzy settled herself on the passenger’s seat.

“Auntie…Is saying bye to a person is a good manner?” Ji Eun asked at Soo Ri who’s looking ahead of the road.

“Well…sort of. Why’d you ask?”

“Oh nothing, I’m just putting into practice what you told me a few days ago.”

When they finally reached their destination, Ji Eun and Suzy went out of the car with their bento boxes that Soo Ri made for the two of them and waved good bye at Soo Ri.

“Bye mom!” Suzy said, fixing her backpack.

Ji Eun on the other hand, gave Soo Ri a wave with a smile.

“Oh by the way Ji Eun, in case you don’t know which way to go, I already gave you the map of the school. Sorry I can’t accompany you today. It’s just that I’m going to be late for work.” Soo Ri said with an apologetic look.

“It’s okay auntie, I think I can manage.” Ji Eun replied, unfolding the paper map that Soo Ri gave her.

Soo Ri nodded, “Okay then, bye girls, have fun in your first day!”

They entered the school gate and there were a lot of students. Some of them were hugging each other as if they haven’t seen each other for a long time. The scene gave Ji Eun a hint of excitement as well.

“Hey Ji Eun, do you want me to lead you to your room?” Suzy asked.

Ji Eun was about to nod when someone called Suzy’s name. They both turned around saw a girl with short chestnut hair. “Hana!” Suzy exclaimed and gave Hana a tight hug.

“Oh by the way, this is Ji Eun. Ji Eun, this is Hana, my friend.” Suzy stated.

Hana bowed and took out her right hand from her pocket towards Ji Eun, gesturing her to shake her hand. Ji Eun gave her a smile and shook it, “Hello Hana.”

“Let’s go to your room now Ji Eun.” Suzy said, hooking her arms at Ji Eun.

But Ji Eun thought that Suzy and Hana have a lot of catch up to do so she decided to leave the two of them. “Nah it’s okay, I think I can manage myself.”

“Are you sure?” Suzy asked and Ji Eun nodded as a response.

Suzy pouted, “Well okay then. I’ll see you at break time!”

“Oh wait a minute. Which one is the seniors’ building?” Ji Eun asked.

Suzy pointed the building at the right side, “That one…”

“Okay then…uhh…Suzy?”

“What?” Suzy asked with a smile.

“Is shaking another person’s hand a good manner?” Ji Eun asked, abashed.

Suzy wrinkled her brow, “What do you mean?”

Ji Eun let out a chuckle and shrugged. “Forget it. Bye.”

Suzy and Hana waved their hands and proceeded to their room.

Ji Eun turned around and made her way towards the building. She walked pass a girl with blue eyes who quickly gave her a welcoming smile. Ji Eun found it weird but she smiled instead. This is not what people do in Fantasia when they see her. They don’t give her a smile. Instead, they give her a death glare.

She scratches her head as she studies the map, she wasn’t sure where her room is.

Ji Eun was getting impatient in searching her room when a group of boys winked at her, “Hey miss.”

Ji Eun, who was getting impatient already, shot them a glare. “What do you want?”

The boys looked at her, surprised.

She realized what she had done then quickly walked away from them.

Ji Eun huffed in disbelief. *Ugh…Maintaining good manners is hard.*

She was busily looking at the doors when someone actually bumped her.

Ji Eun was about to burst in anger and looks at the girl with a long wavy hair who bumped her.

“Sorry,” The girl muttered, picking her books on the floor.

With clenching fist, Ji Eun managed to stop her anger and gave the girl a smile, “It’s okay.”

Before they parted their ways, Ji Eun held the girl’s right arm. “Excuse me, do you know the room of Section C?”

The girl nodded, “It’s the first door on the second floor.”

“Okay,”

Ji Eun made her way upstairs and reached her destination. She puffed her cheeks, “I can do this.”

She entered the classroom quietly with raised chin since she has a lot of confidence in herself. Some took time to look at her and some were busy being caught up in their own worlds.

Ji Eun settled at the chair of the second row beside the window. Cupping her chin with her hands, she looked at the steadfast Pine tree outside the window. The glow of the sun made some of the dewdrops visible to her eyes as if there were shining crystals on the leaves.

When the teacher made her way inside the room, the students behaved and greeted her with manners and Ji Eun on the other hand, copied what they’re doing.

The introduction went well and the teacher just discussed the school’s rules and regulations. Everyone looked at their teacher while mundane were basked on their faces since they already knew what she’s talking about. Except for Ji Eun, she was listening to her teacher and was trying hard to restore every detail inside her mind.

 

~:~

 

When it was finally break time, Ji Eun grabbed her bento box that Soo Ri prepared for her and made her way outside. “Hey,” A boy with almond eyes said together with five other boys. They were also in Section C but Ji Eun was so busy listening to her teacher to realize it.

She gave them a questioning look.

“Ji Eun, right? You’re new here?” The boy with almond eyes asked with a crooked smile.

She nodded and stayed quiet, waiting for him to continue.

“You wanna take your snacks with us at the cafeteria?”

Ji Eun took a deep breath and observed each of them. “No, I’ll be taking snacks with a frie—I mean, sister.”

The other guy rubbed the back of his neck, “Aw come on, this is a friendly invitation.”

*Ugh, these men are pushy.* Ji Eun think of a reply that will not be too harsh for them.

So she ended up huffing, “What did I just say?”

She turned around and didn’t even wait for their reply.

“Aww too bad Daehyun, you didn’t get that pretty girl.”

Ji Eun almost heard their conversation when a thought snapped in her mind. Where’s the cafeteria anyway?

She looked back at them and saw them already walking away from her. “Wait!”

They turned to her with winning eyes and thought that they finally convinced her. “So you’re coming?”

Ji Eun rolled her eyes. “Not actually…where’s the cafeteria?”

The boy with cute crescent eyes chuckled and grimaced at Daehyun.

Daehyun, on the other hand, shrugged. “Well why don’t you walk with us? We’re going to the cafeteria too.”

He gave a wink at the boy with crescent eyes as if he’s telling him that he got this situation.

Ji Eun wrinkled her brow. “Just…forget it.”

She turned around and walked away, not having a single clue where she’s going.

*Those men are pushy beyond belief…*

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

 Ji Eun ended up going to the school’s garden. She smiled as she takes in the comfortable atmosphere. The air was so crisp, clean, and unfettered as if the hairs on her skin dances whenever the wind brushes her. The vast field of grasses sparkled in the sunlight with an almost-cheerful abandon together with the different flowers. Ji Eun wounded through the lush landscape and took a seat on one of the brown-colored benches. She stared at the pink bento box resting on her lap and realized that she’s not really hungry at all. Settling it beside her, she looked at her view and her eyes landed on the serene flowers.

Ji Eun went towards it and crouched in front of them. She let her fingers touch every petal. “Hello, are you a garden fairy?”

There was nothing…the yellow flower stayed the same.

“The place here is safe so you don’t need to disguise. Besides, I’m not going to hurt you.”

It was still the same.

“Uhh what are you doing?”

Ji Eun widened her eyes and turned to look at the person who said it.

It was a boy with golden hair and dazzling eyes. He was holding a black guitar.

She stood up and met his look. “Oh uhh nothing…I’m just talking…”

The boy wrinkled his brow, “You’re talking to…..a flower.”

Ji Eun nervously clicked her tongue and gave an awkward laugh. “W—what no…I’m talking to…myself.”

He looked at her for a moment and thought that it was enough for an explanation so he just nodded and took a seat at the bench where she seated a while ago.

“I’m Luhan by the way,” The boy which is named Luhan, said and started to tune his guitar.

Ji Eun took a seat beside him, a few inches away from him. She placed her bento box on her lap again.

“My name is Ji Eun.”

Luhan nodded without looking at her, fixing his attention to his black guitar.

She looked at his calloused fingers as it met the strings. She remembered the people in Fantasia playing an instrument a lot like this. They call it Banjo. But what Luhan is holding is definitely not a Banjo. She thought to herself.

Ji Eun clicked her tongue. “Uhh what do you call that instrument?”

Luhan stopped and gave her an ‘are-you-for-real’ look. “A guitar,”

“Ohh…right.” She mumbled and looked at his instrument again.

“You’re the first person that I met who doesn’t know what to call this.” He pointed out with a chuckle.

She rolled her eyes. *Well that’s because I’m not from your world.*

But of course, she didn’t say that.

“Yeah…I’m stupid.” She straightly replied without even thinking.

He stopped strumming his guitar and looked at her. “Hey don’t say that. You’re just naïve in an adorable way.”

She huffed at his response and shook her head. “Not really…I’m stupid.”

“No one is stupid. Don’t let yourself believe that you are stupid. It can cause you to stumble in this life’s road.” He pointed out frankly without a hint of irritation.

Ji Eun was surprised at his response and realized that he’s actually right. So she kept what he said in her mind. “Well then…I’m smart and wise.”

Luhan gave her a smile, “Now that’s a fact. Try to be an optimist.”

He returned his attention on his guitar and silence surrounded the two of them.
Ji Eun saw his smile…it was somehow sincere. And what he said is not just a comment to make her flatter. What he said is true.

She looked at him and saw how his golden hair sparkled with the cheerful light of sun. This boy in front of her with a guitar was somehow different…in an inevitable way.

The bell finally rang and Luhan stood up from his seat. “Well, it’s time to go back now. It’s nice meeting you Ji Eun. See you around.”

He gave her a final wave of goodbye and disappeared from her sight. Ji Eun felt a twinge in her heart when he mentioned her name. As if his tongue is destined to say her name.

She smiled at the thought and took her bento box, unaware that there’s a hint of crimson on her cheeks.

Ji Eun was about to enter the seniors’ building when someone called her name.

She turned around and saw Suzy running towards her with a smile.

“Hey I didn’t see you at the cafeteria.” She pouted.

“Oh sorry,” She mumbled. “I didn’t know the location of the cafeteria.”

“You should’ve asked your classmates.” Suzy replied.

Ji Eun remembered the six boys that she asked outside her room. “I tried. But they’re not taking my question seriously.”

Suzy nodded with an understanding look. “It’s okay. Wait for me here when you’re dismissed alright?”

Ji Eun nodded and waved her hand. “Alright...Farewell Suzy, I’ll see you later.”

 

~:~

 

The classes ended quickly since it’s just the first day of school. Students quickly grabbed their bags and went out with their friends. Some girls gave a smile to Ji Eun and invited her to join them but Ji Eun declined and told them that she’ll be with her sister. Her unbiological sister actually.

She made her way outside the building and saw Suzy with a wide grin. She waved at her and Suzy gleefully waved back.

“So…how was your first day of school?” Suzy asked as they walked on the cemented floor.

Ji Eun thought at how vague she was when all she did was to look at her teacher and somehow, her thought drifted at the boy with golden hair. She smiled and looked at the white puffs of cotton in the vast blue sky. “It was grand.”

They were on their way to the school’s waiting area when they saw Chanyeol together with a girl whose hair has the color of mahogany and has wavy features. They were talking at each other but Suzy and Ji Eun can’t distinguish what their conversation is about.

“Looks like someone is seriously enjoying the first day,” Suzy muttered as they took a seat at the waiting area.

“Who’s that?” Ji Eun questioned.

“The girl? She’s Minah. Chanyeol’s girlfriend.” Suzy explained and took out two cartons of Banana Milk from her bag.

Ji Eun thought what does she mean ‘girlfriend’? But as she carefully studied the two from afar, she didn’t have to ask. The way how Chanyeol looked at her as if he’s witnessing the seasons unfolding right before him at the same time and how he smiled at her as if they’re the only people in the world.

“Oh you mean like Minah is his princess?” Ji Eun asked to make things clear.

Suzy glued her eyes again on the couple and shrugged.  “Uhh sort of,”

Chanyeol and Minah walked pass the waiting area when Suzy called his name. “Chanyeol!”

The two stopped from their tracks and looked at Suzy together with Ji Eun.

Chanyeol raised his brows as if to say ‘what’.

“Will you come home with us?” Suzy asked.

Chanyeol shook his head, “I don’t think so. I need to walk Minah to her home.”

Suzy nodded and gave a smile to Minah. “Suit yourself then. Bye!”

Chanyeol waved at Suzy. He looked at Ji Eun, who’s also waving at him. *Well she's not that bad after all.*

Before turning away with Minah, he also looked at Ji Eun and waved back.

“Hey, you want a Banana Milk? I saved one for you.” Suzy said, handing to Ji Eun the other carton.

Ji Eun gave a puzzled look before taking it from Suzy.

She studied the carton and was about to ask Suzy what it is but she remembered her conversation with Soo Ri. So she just shrugged and copied how Suzy opened it.

The taste danced on her tongue as if she’s tasted pixie dusts and she somehow managed to keep her excitement to herself so that Suzy will not get confused at her peculiar actions.

“Have you ever had a boyfriend before?” Suzy asked after taking a long sip from her Banana Milk.

Ji Eun shook her head as a response and kept her attention towards the drink.

Suzy gave a flustered face. “You’re kidding right?”

“No,” Ji Eun replied truthfully.

Suzy placed her empty Banana Milk carton beside her and clasped her hands. “Wooow, I can’t believe it, seriously. It’s just that…you have a pretty face.”

Ji Eun smiled without looking at her. “Well thank you,”

She excused herself to throw the cartons in the garbage can and she was unaware that she was scanning the campus for a boy with golden hair.

Her thoughts drifted to what Suzy asked her earlier. *Well I guess the girlfriend or boyfriend is the person whom they’ll share their happy ever after with. That’s sweet.*

It was her first time to think these kinds of thoughts and she somehow found it ridiculous. Ever since she was born, she never imagined herself together with a prince charming or a knight in shining armor. She was so caught up in ruining some lives in Fantasia that she didn’t have time to look for her true love. Well, she even thought she has no true love at all. These thoughts lead her to Juniel and remembered that her sister is getting married. She was happy for her sister will finally meet her happy ever after, while her on the other hand, well she haven’t even thought about that.