Being a Sunshine

The Peculiar Girl

"Wait what? You vomitted?" Suzy asked whilst disbelief flooded her face.

Ji Eun nodded as a response while arranging the blankets on her bed since it's time for them to sleep.

"Okay that's just weird. Now I know the reason why you got home early." 

"Well, I felt bad for him though. We didn't get to try the ice rink." Ji Eun mumbled and plopped herself on her bed before gazing at the vast ceiling.

"At least you had fun. It's your first time to go to the Lotte World right?" 

Ji Eun turned her head to look at Suzy who's on the other bed. "It was definitely fun of course. We don't have that kind of place in Fantasia."

Hearing her words, Suzy shrugged. "I don't know but to be honest, Chanyeol and I are having a hard time believing your story..."

Ji Eun bit her lower lip and nodded. "Yeah, it's hard to believe because I just noticed the big difference of your world from mine. It's your choice anyway if you guys will believe me. But I tell you, not because you didn't see Fantasia doesn't mean it isn't real. Sometimes, you just got to believe despite how blurred the proof is."

"I'm sorry..." Suzy mumbled.

"It's okay. I want to thank you guys though, for helping me despite how odd it is."

"You're welcome."

"You know, I miss talking with you." Ji Eun pointed out, almost registered as a whisper.

"That's because we finally have relationships. It's a part of it anyway, being in a relationship is somehow sacrificing your time with your friends but between the both of us, it doesn't matter because we still have each other even though we're not doing a lot of bond these days."

"I know. I kind of learned that...especially the time when I was disappointed to you because you're always with Kikwang but when Luhan and I started to hang out,  I realized now."

Hearing her words, Suzy let out a small laugh.

No one spoke after that, the only sounds were their steady breathing and the crickets outside. Until it all became a lullaby and rocked Suzy into sleep, not for Ji Eun though. There was this heavy question inside her that she somehow wants to solve.

She sat up and averted her gaze to the night sky that seemed like a black cloak that enveloped the whole sky. There were stars...but not that much.

*I wonder though...how will I tell it to Luhan? Will he believe me...?*

 

~:~

 

Ji Eun heaved a sigh and gazed at the empty seat at her right side. It's been two days that Myungsoo didn't go to school and she doesn't even have an idea why because it had also been days that he avoided her. She averted her gaze to their current teacher which is Mr. Jung. His brow was furrowed while doing a discussion. The girl pursed her lips and pretended that she was so into it even though she can't get anything. 

After a few seconds, she slowly looked behind her and saw Chanyeol listening intensely. Wrinkling her nose, she ripped a sheet of paper from her notebook. The quiet sound was somehow heard by Luhan so he gazed at her and saw Ji Eun writing something. He just shrugged and focused his attention again on Mr. Jung. Ji eun folded the paper and checked if Mr. Jung noticed her and luckily, he didn't so she quickly turned her head to Chanyeol.

Sensing her stare, Chanyeol looked at her with a raised eyebrow and he noticed that she was handing him a paper. 
With a disturbed face, he clicked his tongue and took it.
He checked first if Mr. Jung was looking and gladly, he's safe so he gently unfolded the paper.

 

Did Myungsoo go to school last Saturday when I was absent?

 

He removed the cap of his pen and after writing his response, Chanyeol quietly kicked one of the feet of her chair, enough for Ji Eun to notice his signal. So Ji Eun turned her head and reached the paper with a swift move.

 

He didn't. Stop writing and focus your attention on the discussion!

 

The girl snickered as she read his response.


No, it's boring, Chanyeol goblin! 

 
-YOU :P 


A small laugh escaped after writing her response. She crumpled the sheet of paper and rolled it on the floor towards him.

Chanyeol felt it hit his shoes so he looked down and saw it. With a sigh, he picked it up and glared at Ji Eun who's currently facing Mr. Jung.

He felt his ears turned red when he read her response, causing him to have an urge to write back.

Through the corner of her eye, she saw something rolled on the floor, causing her to look down and realize that it was the paper.

 

Say that again and I'LL MAKE SURE THAT YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO FACE TOMORROW ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

The girl huffed in disbelief so she grabbed her pen and wrote a response with an annoyed face. She was intensely in the middle of her response when Mr. Jung cleared his throat.

"Ms. Ji Eun."

The girl suddenly widened her eyes and looked ahead, realizing that Mr. Jung was looking at her intensely.

"Uhh...yes?"

"Looks like you're busy with something."

"Wha-no Ms-I mean, sir."

"Well then, if you're really listening, who ruled during the Silla dynasty?" Mr. Jung asked with a challenging stare as he walked towards her.

Ji Eun gulped heavily as she fiddled her fingers on the hem of her blouse. "Uhmm....Uhh...uhh..."

After a few seconds, Mr. Jung clicked his tongue. "Enough with the 'uhmms' and 'uhhs' Ji Eun. Now please stay outside."

Hearing his words, Ji Eun widened her eyes. "B-but it's Chanyeol's fault!"

Chanyeol, on the other hand, was having fun witnessing what was happening to her when his ears suddenly perked up. "What?! You're the one who keeps writing!"

"No I'm not!"

"Hey look J--"

"Enough! I don't want childish students in my class now please, Mr. Park, join her outside." Mr. Jung ordered frustratingly as he placed his hands on his waist.

The boy widened his eyes and huffed in disbelief. "But sir, I was liste--"

"Go. Out." Mr. Jung finalized and gave the both of them a stern look. 

Without any other choice, Chanyeol obeyed and started to walk, completely embarassed because of all the stares of his classmates while Ji Eun, on the other hand, tagged along.

They settled their chairs outside and sat on it with guilty faces.

"I expect the two of you to stay here until this subject ends. Understood?"

"Yes...sir." They quietly mumbled and Mr. Jung nodded in response before returning inside the classroom.

Chanyeol scratched his head and grunted. "This is all your fault."

"It's your fault too. You shouldn't have replied back ." She snickered.

"Well you shouldn't have written it in the first place." Chanyeol deadpanned, completely depressed.

"If only Myungsoo's here, he would whisper me the answer..." Ji eun muttered.

The boy just ignored her statement and continued to glare at her. "All my life, I've never been ordered to go outside by a teacher. I'm an outstanding student. Now thanks for ruining it."

"You're welcome." Ji Eun grimaced while Chanyeol just rolled his eyes in return.

After a minute of silent tension between the both of them, Ji Eun noticed that Chanyeol stood up and walked towards the door. Completely clueless of what he's doing, Ji Eun cocked her head to the side and watched him. Chanyeol pressed his right ear on the door with a curled brow.

The girl almost laughed. "Tinker fairies...you're really that desperate to listen?"

Hearing her words, Chanyeol scowled. "That's because I'm a student who strives for good grades unlike you."

Ji Eun crossed her arms on her chest. "Maybe...but at least I don't look like a goblin."

"Shut up." Chanyeol said and continued to what he's doing.

Ji Eun puffed her cheeks and glanced at her wristwatch. There were still twenty minutes before they could go inside.

When an idea formed in her mind, she checked her pocket and relief flooded her when she realized that she brought her wallet.

"Hey goblin, do you have your money with you?"

The boy didn't respond, making her huff in disbelief.

"Hey I'm asking you."

"Oh you're talking to me? I'm sorry, my name's not goblin." 

Hearing his words, Ji Eun heaved her shoulders with a loud sigh. "Okay. Chanyeol, do you have your money with you?"

"Yeah," He nodded.

She clasped her hands together. "Great! Let's go to the cafeteria!"

"Are you nuts? Mr. Jung told us to stay here."

Ji Eun wrinkled her nose. "But I'm hungry and no, I'm not a nut."

"Whatever." Chanyeol muttered.

Ji Eun grunted while she stood up and walked pass him with confidence.

"Hey where are you going?" 

"Cafeteria. I'm hungry." She replied and fished out her wallet from her pocket.

Chanyeol rubbed his hand on his face. "You are so dead if Mr. Ju--"

"I don't care." She pointed out and waved her hand.

"Ji Eun! Come back here!"

When she didn't look back, Chanyeol sighed. 

"Eish. This girl." He muttered, scratching his head but in the end, he gave up and ran towards her.

Sensing his presence, a smirk formed on her face. "I knew you'd come."

 

The both of them scanned the snacks. 

"Treat me." Chanyeol suddenly said out of nowhere and much to his surprise, Ji Eun nodded.

"Great," He muttered before settling himself on one of the chairs.

After a few minutes, Ji Eun returned and handed him a sandwich and a can of soda. The boy grinned and quickly grabbed it.

Ji Eun sat across him and wrinkled her nose. "A while ago, you're mad at me and now, you're okay because I treated you?"

Chanyeol ignored her statement and busied himself on his sandwich.

"It's nice talking with air." The girl frowned and stood up.

Chanyeol looked at her. "Where are you going?"

"Let's walk around while eating. Some teachers might see us here."

Without hesitation, Chanyeol left his seat and together, they strolled around the campus.

"Oh I know where we should go!" Ji Eun chimed while Chanyeol gave her a questioning look.

"At the garden!"

"Hey look, we need to go back."

"Oh c'mon, there are still ten minutes left." She replied and gave him a look with puppy eyes which Chanyeol found awfully adorable.

After successfully convincing him, the two of them went to her desired destination.

The girl sniffed in the friendly air as it gently touched her skin.

"I missed this place."

Chanyeol just shrugged and sat on the bench, finishing his can of soda.

Ji Eun quickly picked a pink Marigold and sat beside him. "Let me tell you something about Fantasia."

The latter grinned when she realized that Chanyeol agreed. He placed his elbow on his knees and rested his chin on his hand. "Go on."

"When fairies think that they're in danger, they turn into flower. It's their only disguise." Ji Eun explained while twirling the flower between her thumb and index finger.

"Righhhht..." He mumbled.

Honestly, the fact about Ji Eun is still ridiculous to him. C'mon, it's not easy to believe a story especially if it's related to childish imaginations. Just imagine it, your friend suddenly said that she/he is not from this world of ours and that she/he belongs to another world. Would you believe it huh?

Will you be like, 'Really? Oh that's cool! I want to go there too.' 

No. You might even think that you're friend is just drunk or whatever.

See? It's hard.

The girl kept on blabbering while Chanyeol tried his best to listen.

"Oh no, we need to come back now!" Chanyeol exclaimed after glancing at his watch.

The both of them widened their eyes and together, they scampered away and quickly dragged themselves to their room and by the time, they reached it, disappointment flooded them. Mr. Jung was waiting outside, arms crossed and eyebrows creased.

"As far as I can remember, I told you to just stay here but it seems to me that you cut class." Mr. Jung said, making their heads hung low.

Chanyeol was mentally scolding himself for letting himself join Ji Eun's acts but then again, it's his choice anyway. 

"Ji Eun, where did the two of you go?"

The girl cleared . "Uhh...c-cafeteria...sir."

The two of them heard him sigh. "Alright Ji Eun and Chanyeol, it disappointed me that you made an offense again. So I would like the two of you to clean the classroom after dismissal."

"Bu--"

"Got it?"

"Y-yes sir..." The two of them mumbled, sulking.

 

~:~

 

"This is all your fault." Chanyeol muttered while arranging the chairs.

Ji Eun rolled her eyes. *Here we go again...*

"It's yours too." She replied, erasing the words written on the white board. The boy ignored her and kept on fussing about how depressing the day was.

"This is the very first time that happened in my life...ever! I'm a student who abide the ru--"

"You've been muttering that for the hundredth time." Ji Eun deadpanned as she rolled her eyes.

"Because it's true!" He defended and glared at her even though she can't see it because her back was facing him.

Ji Eun started to hum after deciding to pretend that she doesn't hear anything.

They didn't make a conversation. All they heard were Ji Eun's humming and Chanyeol's ear piercing fusses about how unfortunate he was.

"Aaand we're done!" Ji Eun exclaimed and clasped her hands together while Chanyeol just ignored her and went straight to his seat to get his bag.

Ji Eun did the same when she suddenly felt her phone's vibration inside the pocket of her skirt.

With a wrinkled her brow, she fished it out and her eyes suddenly widened after realizing that it was Myungsoo.

Myungsoo!

He was calling her!

After days of countless avoidance, he's calling her!

She quickly answered it and pressed it on her ears. "Myungsoo?"

There was a second of silence before she heard a response. "Hey...where are you?"

"I'm still at school. Chanyeol and I just finished cleaning the classroom."

"I...I kind of...need you right now."

Hearing his words, Ji Eun curled her brow. "What do you mean?"

She heard him sighed on the other line. "I'll explain it to you later. I'm at the school's gate right now."

Ji Eun's eyes suddenly widened and she quickly dragged herself without even leaving a word to Chanyeol.

The girl breathe heavily and squint her eyes to see any sign of Myungsoo when she suddenly saw him standing on the other side of the road.

A smile crept up on her face because she knew that she missed him.

"Myungsoo!" She shouted with a wave before running towards him.

The boy just gave a forced smile. He was wearing a leather jacket and jeans since the breeze of autumn is now turning cold, beckoning winter.

Her joy suddenly faded when she somehow saw something basked on his face. 

It wasn't happiness...it's sadness.

"Y-you look...gloomy." She mumbled.

Myungsoo pursed his lips. "Will you come with me?"

"Where?"

"At the park."

"Wait, why do we need to go there?"

"Just...please, come with me..."

Without hesitation, she agreed and the both of them started to walk.

"Why were you always absent these days?" She questioned and kicked a pebble on the ground.

"I...I have a problem." He replied with a low voice, making Ji Eun more curious.

"What kind of problem?"

"It's...my dad." Myungsoo mumbled and bit his lower lip.

"What happened to your dad?" Ji Eun questioned out of curiosity.

"He got a heart attack last Friday night. It was critical and now, he's still confined." 

Ji Eun breathe in. "I...I'm sorry to hear that."

None of them dared to speak until they reached their destination. The park was empty and it was the first time that Ji Eun encountered it. The atmosphere was nice and friendly even though there aren't any people. They settled themselves on the swing and Ji Eun slowly swayed herself. She then, looked at how silent Myungsoo was. 

"Why did you want me to go here?"

The boy sighed. "I'm completely in need of a friend right now."

"B-but you have a lot of friends right? Why me?"

Myungsoo looked ahead and saw cars passing by. "I don't know. There's something about you that made me sure that you have to ability to comfort me."

Ji Eun's lips curled up when she heard his words. "I feel honored."

Just before Ji Eun could say a word again, her phone vibrated and she realized that it was Chanyeol.

 

Ji Eun: Hello?

Chanyeol: Hey where are you?! You suddenly ran a while ago!

Ji Eun: Shh! Keep it down. I'm with Myungsoo.

Chanyeol: Myu-wait what? Ji Eun, mom will be here in any minute!

Ji Eun: Just tell her I'm doing something important. You guys go home first.

Chanyeol: No way, you don't even know how to go home by yourself. What if you get lost again?

His tone was agitated but the girl just shrugged it off.

Ji Eun: Myungsoo's here. Tell it to auntie okay?

Chanyeol: No w--

Ji Eun: Thank you. I'm gonna hang up now.

Chanyeol: Ji Eun! Don't you d--

 

Click

 

A playful smirk appeared on her face when she returned her phone inside her pocket.

She was about to apologize to Myungsoo when she realized that his head was hung low. 

"Hey are you okay?"

Myungsoo tried his best to speak but he failed because of his trembling lips so he just shook his head. "I'm scared Ji Eun."

"Don't worry, your father will be okay." She responded and stretched her hand towards him to pat his back.

"I...I don't want him to leave. I'm still not ready." 

"Wait, y-you mean, h-he's dying?"

Myungsoo flinched at her statement and Ji Eun somehow wanted to take it back but she can't rewind time of course. This is life.

"The surgery will take place on the day after tomorrow and the doctor said that the chance of survival is...not that much." 

Ji Eun noticed that his hands were shaking so she continued to pat his back. "Don't cry Myungsoo. Please."

He tried to smile. "I'm not..."

"I know. But your inside is somehow crying." 

She heard him drew in his breath while a gushing wind brushed the two of them. "I'm afraid, Ji Eun. I'm afraid of losing my father. He's my buddy ever since I took my very first step as a baby. I don't want him to go. We still have a lot of bonding to do. He..He promised me."

The girl looked at him with eyes full of compassion. "What did he promise?"

"T-That he'll never leave. He promised me that he'll stay because he wants to witness how will I graduate. He s-said that he wants to see his baby boy turn into a man...but how cou--"

"He promised, Myungsoo. He promised. Don't you trust him?" 

"Of course I trust him...B-but it's hard."

Ji Eun sighed as she stood up from her seat and bended in front of Myungsoo to meet his eyes. "Trusting will be hard if you look at the condition of the situation. But I want you to trust him completely...no doubts, no worries, no anxities and no fear. He is your father. And fathers don't make promises if they think they weren't able to do it. I haven't met your father but as I look at what you are, I knew that he's also a very good man just like you. And good men don't break promises."

"I...I d-don't kno--"

"Myungsoo, look at me." Ji Eun said and met his eyes, realizing that the corners of it were turning red. He looks so fragile. Boys may be strong outside but they are also vulnerable as a glass. 

"Don't just settle on the problem...look at the bigger picture." The girl muttered and she was completely clueless how those words that she said formed in her mind.

All those encouragements that she had said, she doesn't have an idea where those came from.

A honk was heard, making the both of them turn their heads. 

"My driver's here." Myungsoo said and stood up, wiping his eyes with the back of his hand. 

"Okay then. Can you do me a favor?"

"What?"

"Don't let a single tear escape those eyes of yours." Ji Eun said, remembering what was written on her notebook. Is she even aware that her character inside slowly flicked a light? 

"I won't." Myungsoo replied and tried to smile even though he's not completely sure about it.

The both of them hugged each other and for the first time ever since his dad was confined, he felt happy.

"Thank you, Ji Eun."

"You're always welcome. Wait, is this the reason why you avoided me last week?"

Myungsoo somehow quieted and just shrugged her question away. *No.*

"So you're going home now?"

The boy shook his head. "I'll go to the hospital. I want to stay with him."

"That's good. Wait a minute, what's the name of the hospital?"

"Asan Medical Center..."

"Oh...okay then. Have a safe trip."

"Wait, do you want a ride?"

Ji Eun wanted to agree but somehow, she wants him to see his father already so she shook her head. "Nah, Chanyeol's waiting for me."

"Alright, bye Ji Eun. Thank you so much."

The girl nodded and looked at him as he walked inside the car. They exchanged waves until the car came to life and drove away.

Myungsoo looked back, her figure was getting smaller and smaller. 

He missed her and today, he somehow saw another side of her. That girl surely surprises him.

He was experiencing a bad weather in his life but then she came...and Myungsoo found sunshine in the midst of storm.

 

~:~

Ji Eun bit her lower lip as she walked closely towards the school. She was hoping that Chanyeol waited her but much to her disappointment, there was no sign of him.

With a sigh, she sat on the bench of the waiting area and fished out her phone to call Soo Ri.

But just before she could click her name, Sehun, which is Luhan's friend, appeared. He gave her a nod and took a seat beside her.

"Hey, why are you still here?" Sehun asked.

"Oh...well...I still finished some matters." Ji Eun replied and put back her phone inside her bag.

Sehun nodded and since he's not kind of good in socialization, he stayed quiet.

"Do we have any homework?" The girl questioned just to stop silence from occuring.

"Nope." 

Ji Eun cocked her head to the side and stared at him, which made Sehun uncomfortable, wishing that his service would be there to pick him up soon. "You do lack some face expressions huh?"

The boy was somehow surprised at her sudden statement. He didn't know if it's absurd or Ji Eun is just blatant when it comes to speaking.

"Ohh..."

"Your face somehow reminds me of winter because of your serious expression." Ji Eun said, still staring at him. If stares can melt, he probably melted.

He cleared his throat and tried to nod at her statement. 

"You should change it to summer and plaster a smile." 

The boy somehow smirked at her statement. Seriously, what kind of a topic is this?

"There! I saw it! You smirked! You should do it often!" 

"Rigggghhhht." Sehun mumbled and gave an awkward laugh.

"Oh there you go! You laughed a little!"

Sehun found her funny so he covered his face using his hands. *This girl surely is weird.*

"Do you want a cookie?" Ji Eun asked while getting something inside her bag. 

The boy peeked at her and saw her getting a bag of cookies from her bag. The kind of cookies that were being sold at the school's cafeteria. Not to mention that it's his favorite.

Ji Eun took one before handing it to him. "Go on,"

He cleared his throat and get one from it. "Thanks.."

"No problem." The girl replied with cheery eyes.

The both of them were in silence when a drizzle occured. It is a good thing that the waiting area has a roof.

"Uh-oh...it's raining." Ji Eun mumbled.

She heard him click his tongue so she turned to look at him. He was somehow reading a message on his phone.

Seeing his phone, she mentally scolded herself for forgetting to call Soo Ri.

"Looks like I need to go now. My driver wouldn't be able to pick me up." Sehun said, stopping her from getting her phone.

The girl pouted. "Okay then, it's nice talking with you. Actually, I was the one who did a lot of talking."

Sehun just let out a small chuckle and Ji Eun noticed it of course but she act like she didn't. 

The two of them stood up.

"Wait, do you have an umbrella?" She asked.

Sehun scratched his head. "Oh, that. I don't but it's okay. I can handle it."

"No one can handle rain, silly. Here, take this." Ji Eun said and took out a pink umbrella from her bag.

She handed it to him while Sehun just stared at it. "A...pink umbrella?"

"What? It's cute."

"But how about you?" Sehun asked, hesitating to get it from her.

"Someone would pick me up." 

"O-okay then." Sehun replied and took it from her.

"Bye, take care." 

Sehun smiled at her. "Thanks for the cookies and for the umbrella. I'll return this to you tomorrow."

"Yeah sure, anytime."

He started to walk away, somehow finding it awkward that his umbrella is pink but who cares? Colors don't matter if rain is the enemy.

He somehow chuckled when he remembered how Ji Eun acted a while ago.

She was childish and weird but adorable at the same time.

Then he suddenly remembered Luhan's plan.

And somehow, he felt pity towards. 

Today, he realized that Ji Eun is not like any other woman at all. 

*Why oh why of all the girls in campus, why does he have to pick her?*

Because Sehun somehow thought that Ji Eun doesn't deserve to feel that kind of hurt especially when time comes for Luhan to leave her.

 

~:~

 

Ji Eun was typing a message to Soo Ri when she heard a honk and someone called her name.

Just by hearing it, she knew it was Luhan.

She quickly looked ahead and saw Luhan's car in front of her. He went out of it with an umbrella and walked towards her.

"Why are you still here? I thought you went home with Chanyeol?"

She abruptly rubbed the back of her neck. "Oh...something just came up. How about you? Why did you come back here?"

"I just bought some Bubble tea and was on my way home but when we drove pass here, I saw you."

Ji Eun just nodded at her statement. "Well, I need to text auntie so she could pi--"

"I'll take you home." Luhan said, and took her bag beside her.

Ji Eun couldn't protest anymore so she smiled with a nod and stood close to him so they can share the umbrella with each other.

Together, they walked towards the car.

While on their way home, Luhan looked at her through the rearview mirror. "Are you okay?"

Ji Eun raised her brow. "Absolutely. Why?"

The boy shrugged. "It's just that, you cleaned the classroom."

"Oh that. Nah, it was fun."

Luhan chuckled at her statement and handed her his Bubble tea. "Here, I don't want it anymore."

Ji Eun cocked her head to the side. "What's that?"

"A Bubble tea." Luhan replied.

Ji Eun took it with a curious face. 

She slowly took a sip and widened her eyes when it lingered her tongue. "I've tasted rainbow!"

The driver somehow smiled at her sudden outburst while Luhan looked at her with a confused look.

"Please don't tell me it's your first time again."

"Actually, this is my first time to taste a bubble tea!" Ji Eun chimed and happily took another sip.

Instead of letting the topic grow, Luhan chuckled and shook his head. 

He was unaware that he's slowly getting used to it and he's starting to find her acts adorable.