Beneath the never ending cape of black

The Peculiar Girl

Chanyeol leaned on the door's frame of the classroom as he fiddled with his phone while some of his classmates were already getting out because it's already dismissal time.

"Hey," Ji Eun said, "I'm all set. Let's go."

Chanyeol raised his brow. "Oh you could go ahead now. I still need to do some stuffs."

Ji Eun eyed him as she processed his statement nevertheless, she nodded. "Okay. I'll wait for you at the library."

The room was about to be emptied but Chanyeol stayed at his position and just before Luhan could make a step outside, Chanyeol stretched his legs to block him.

Stunned at the boy's action, Luhan pursed his lips and looked at Chanyeol. "What do you want?"

Chanyeol's eyes kind of twitched when he heard his question. With a serious face, Chanyeol towered over Luhan.

"Look Luhan, I already knew what happened between you and Ji Eun and I have to admit that you're an idiot." Chanyeol stated. "And if the rumor about you using Ji Eun is true or not, it w--"

"So what are you trying to say?" 

Chanyeol clenched his jaw as he tried to suppress his anger and pushed Luhan. "You're an insensitive idiotic freak, Luhan. I feel sorry for Ji Eun because I think she just wasted her time in loving you."

Hearing his words, Luhan pushed Chanyeol with a glare. "Watch your words."

"I'm just telling the truth."

Luhan grabbed his collar. "You don't know everything, Chanyeol."

"Yeah of course. You too anyway."

"What do--"

"You think you know everything, huh?" Chanyeol shot back. "You think that because it's between you and her but look, you think you know her condition after of what you did to her? Do you?"

The latter felt Luhan loosened his grip on his collar.

After hearing nothing, Chanyeol smirked. "See? You don't know everything." 

Chanyeol was about to make a step outside when Luhan grabbed his arm. "Why are you being like this?"

"Because you hurt her."

"Why do you even care?" Luhan questioned, sharpening his gaze.

Chanyeol looked away and tried to muster courage. "Because I dislike seeing Ji Eun with a dejected face."

"I know there's something more behind your explanation." 

Processing his statement, Chanyeol stared at him.

"Don't tell me you like her?" Luhan said, trying to not be serious of what's formulating inside his mind.

"It's none of your business."

Luhan just stood there as he looked at Chanyeol's walking figure, somehow becoming aware of his actions.

 

~:~

 

It was dismissal time when Ji Eun made her way to the library, clutching some books.

She settled at the table beside the window that overlooked the school's quadrangle and after setting aside her bag, she took out her notebook and pen.

After opening her textbook, the latter puffed her cheeks. She rubbed her pencil on her forehead as she tried to process what's printed on the pages when someone poked her, surprising Ji Eun a bit.

"You seem serious," Myungsoo chuckled and sat across her.

"Well, I'm just reviewing for tomorrow's quiz." 

He nodded in understanding and craned his neck to see a glimpse of what she's currently reading. 

"Want some help?"

Ji Eun shrugged. "Oh no it's okay. I'm actually waiting for Chanyeol. He volunteered to be my tutor for today."

Hearing her explanation, Myungsoo scratched his head. "You should've picked me."

Ji Eun chuckled at her friend's expression and just before she could avert her attention, she saw Luhan entered the room, alerting her.

The latter blinked and quickly closed the book, surprising Myungsoo. "You know what, I think I should go."

"B-but you told me you'll wait for Chanyeol."

Ji Eun stood up and grabbed his arm. "I made up my mind. It's better if you teach me instead."

Just before Myungsoo could react, Ji Eun pulled him and dragged him towards the door.

Just before they could go outside, Myungsoo caught a glimpse of Luhan looking at the both of them.

Myungsoo didn't need to wonder why Ji Eun became like that all of a sudden so he just stayed still. 

When the both of them finally reached the school's gate, Ji Eun heaved a sigh that was full of relief.

Her friend looked at her, somehow worried. Of course Myungsoo knew what happened because it already spread inside the school but he didn't bother to ask her because he knew that Ji Eun's wound still hasn't healed.

"You're escaping, aren't you?" He asked. "Luhan, I mean."

Ji Eun stared at the road in front of them and pursed her lips. "There's a near bubble tea shop here right? We could review there."

Seeing the uneasiness on her face, Myungsoo shrugged his question away and agreed.

 

Ji Eun settled herself on the wooden chair while Myungsoo checked the menu.

"So what flavor do you want?"

The girl cocked her head to the side. "I'm not actually familiar with this. Go an order me anything."

Myungsoo raised an eyebrow and nodded. "Alright then, wait here."

When the boy walked away, Ji Eun took out her notebook and placed it on the table and realized that she received a text from Chanyeol.

 

Where are you?

 

i don't feel like reviewing anymore. I won't go home with you and Suzy. I'm with Myungsoo.

 

you think I'll believe you after the soju incident? What if you're not with him?

 

I'm telling the truth. Please don't worry about me, Chanyeol

I don't like to see you beig stressed because of me. You have a life so don't mind me.

 

Ji Eun pursed her lips as she pressed send and waited for a reply but nothing came.

"So," Myungsoo said as he settled on the chair that was across her. "Let's proceed?"

"Where's our order?"

"It's still not done." Myungsoo replied and grabbed her notebook.

After reading her previous notes, Myungsoo started to help Ji Eun.

As Myungsoo eagerly explained each equation, Ji Eun found her mind floating in mid air. She realized that his words didn't manage to reach her because she was somehow sinking into an empty yet deep abyss.

"Ji Eun?" 

Upon hearing her name, Ji Eun blinked and saw Myungsoo with a questioning look. "Y-yeah?"

"I told you to solve this," Myungsoo said, looking at the single paper that was in front of her.

"Oh, right." Ji Eun said and quickly reached her pen. However, as she tried to recall what Myungsoo just taught her, she failed. So she just stared at the equation with a blank face.

Seeing her like that, Myungsoo pursed his lips and took a sip from his bubble tea which was given by the assistant a while ago.

Sighing, Ji Eun puts down her pen. "You know what, I don't feel like reviewing anymore."

The boy chuckled. "Whatever you say,"

Ji Eun buried her face on her arms while Myungsoo stared at her, bothered. He's not used in seeing her like that.

"Something's bothering you, isn't it?" 

Ji Eun stayed quiet which Myungsoo took as a yes. 

"You know, I'm here to lis--"

"Can we talk about anything else?" Ji Eun said. Her head was still on her arms.

Myungsoo cleared his throat and stared at her figure. He averted his gaze to the window and studied how the trees slowly rejuvenate, welcoming spring.

"You know, the fist time I saw you, I already thought that you're a careless girl who's always in distress." Myungsoo said. "And when we finally got close, I realized that I was right."

Hearing his words, Ji Eun perked her ears yet she stood still.

"You're not my type, to be honest. Yet I don't know how in the world I found myself having a crush on you."

Ji Eun removed her head from her arms and stared at Myungsoo who was also doing the same. Processing his statement, the girl blinked.

 

~:~

 

"Do you think Ji Eun will like this?" Suzy asked, staring at the box that she was holding while she walked beside Chanyeol.

The both of them were on their way home after knowing that Soo Ri was too tired to pick them up.

Chanyeol shrugged. "Yeah, she eats anything anyway."

"Well then, I hope this chocolate cupcake will somehow make her feel better." Suzy said before plastering a grin on her face.

Chanyeol was the one who opened the gate while Suzy proceeded towards the door, calling her mother's name.

After locking the gate, Chanyeol entered the house only to see that Suzy stood frozen on the ground. 

Chanyeol shook his head and stopped from his tracks upon seeing a woman sitting beside Soo Ri on the couch.

The boy felt his body tense and when he looked at Suzy, she was also surprised.

All of them stayed quiet as the atmosphere that enveloped them plummet.

 

~:~

 

Ji Eun let out a chuckle while Myungsoo just tried to smile. "You're being funny right now."

"Oh I'm not." 

Hearing her words, Ji Eun quieted and stared at his eyes, trying to search deeper.

"So you mean you're serious?"

Myungsoo cleared his throat and abruptly shook his bubble tea. 

There was a moment of silence which resulted to the both of them having a staring contest but in the end, the boy was the one who looked away.

"I like you, Ji Eun." Myungsoo said. "It's been a while since I realized that.

"Oh..." Ji Eun mumbled. "When did it start?"

"I actually have no idea. Maybe when you became my seatmate? Or maybe when I went with you to the clinic." Myungsoo said, staring at his bubble tea while letting his mind wander.

"What do you feel?"

"About what?" Myungsoo asked. "about waking up everyday knowing that you won't feel the same way?"

Ji Eun caught her breath upon hearing his blatant statement. She was surprised at his sudden revelation and she has no single idea what to do.

Myungsoo pursed his lips. "Well yeah, it kind of hurts."

Knowing how absent-minded she was, Ji Eun sighed. "Oh Myungsoo...I'm so sorry. I didn't know."

"At least you know now."

Ji Eun looked at him and opened , trying to find something to say.

"Look, I appreciate your honesty." She said. "But Myungsoo, stop it. I don't want you to be hurt."

The boy tried to let out a chuckle after hearing her response because the fact that there won't be a possibility between the two of them hit him so hard.

"You're a great friend, really, but that is what I consider you. A friend. The one who will help m--"

"Oh it's alright. I just said it for you to know. I'm not hoping that we could be...you know." Myungsoo mumbled.

"Then why did you suddenly tell this to me?"

The boy clicked his tongue and gazed at her. "I'm leaving, Ji Eun."

"What do you mean?"

"I got a scholarship in the US and my dad wants me to pursue it." Myungsoo explained. There was sadness in his tone.

"US? Is it far?" Ji Eun asked, flabbergasted.

He nodded.

"I've always wanted to be a lawyer someday and I was surprised after receiving this opportunity."

Processing his explanation, Ji Eun smiled. "Then go ahead and take it. Your dream is just right there in front of you. All you have to do is grab it."

"I won't be here anymore after spring break." He mentioned.

"That's so soon." Ji Eun blinked. In the end, she just sighed and smiled. "Well then, have a wonderful journey, my friend."

Myungsoo smiled after hearing her words and after having another conversation, the both of them decided to go home.

 

When Ji Eun stepped out of his car, she gave Myungsoo a long look before letting out a smile. "Thank you for everything, Myungsoo."

The boy nodded and just as he was about to reply, Ji Eun suddenly hugged him.

"You've been a wonderful sunshine in my life." Ji Eun said, admitting to herself that this man has a part in her life that no one could ever take away.

Myungsoo smiled and hugged her. 

She was so close yet so far.

It was bittersweet.

 

~:~

 

Ji Eun entered the house with a smile on her face and was surprised to see an unfamiliar visitor.

"Oh, hello," Ji Eun greeted with a bow after saying hi to Soo Ri.

"Where's Suzy?" She asked, somehow getting awkward because of their quietness.

"She's at the kitchen." Soo Ri replied and tried to smile.

Upon hearing her answer, Ji Eun straightly went to the kitchen and saw Suzy who was quietly pouring juice on some glasses.

"Hey there," Ji Eun greeted and poked Suzy's arm.

The younger one grinned. "Finally, you're here. It's been awfully awkward here."

"What do you mean?" Ji Eun questioned and grabbed one of the glasses to take a sip.

"Chanyeol's mom is here." 

Hearing Suzy's words, Ji Eun almost choked. 

"That woman beside auntie is his mom?" She whispered, completely surprised.

Suzy gave a nod before heaving a sigh. "It was so unexp--"

"Where's Chanyeol?" Ji Eun cut. She wondered about what he was feeling because she still remembers the night when the two of them had a talk about his problem. And somehow, Ji Eun was afraid to see Chanyeol getting hurt.

"Oh...that," Suzy mumbled. "The three of them were talking a while ago when Chanyeol just suddenly went out. I didn't know what they're talking because mom said that I shouldn't eavesdrop."  

Ji Eun furrowed her brow and just before Suzy could say another word, Ji Eun strode out of the house without leaving anything.

The latter hurriedly took out her phone from her pocket and dialed his number but much to her disappointment, he didn't answer it.

After ten unanswered calls, Ji Eun heaved a sigh and dejectedly took a seat on the sidewalk. She looked at the empty street, wondering where he was and hoping that he will be okay.

 

~:~

 

The sun was already nowhere to be found yet Ji Eun was still on her original position. She was already drawing imaginary circles on the ground, trying to be oblivious of time.

After a while, she tried to call him again but still, there was no answer.

It was during her fifth call when Ji Eun scrunched her brow upon seeing his familiar walking figure getting nearer. Without further ado, she quickly stood up and ran to him.

His face was unreadable and subtle which worried Ji Eun. 

"Are you okay?" She questioned and took a hold in his shoulder despite the fact of how tall Chanyeol was.

The boy stared at her worried expression and instead of giving a response, Chanyeol removed her hands from him and walked away.

He was about to open the gate when Ji Eun grabbed his arm.

"She's still there." She informed. "Your mom...I mean."

Chanyeol clicked his tongue and decided to walk away again but this time, Ji Eun called him, causing him to gave her a questioning look.

"Can..." She mumbled, "Can I come with you?"

The boy nodded which enlightened Ji Eun so in the end, they walked side by side with nothing but a light breeze for company.

They found themselves sitting on a swing set at the playground of their subdivision.

There weren't kids anymore since it's almost evening.

Ji Eun slowly swayed herself, creating a faint sound because of the metal's rust. 

Chanyeol, on the other hand, was just idly staring at his shoes.

"So..." Ji Eun mumbled. "Why did she come?"

"She misses me." Chanyeol replied. "She wanted to know my current condition."

"Are you mad at her?"

"Yes," He answered, "yet the moment I walked inside and saw her, I knew that I didn't feel any anger...I felt this kind of longing."

"Ah," Ji Eun nodded. "It's because you love her."

Chanyeol averted his gaze to her. "You think so?"

Ji Eun nodded with cheery eyes and looked at the sky that was already black and has diamond flecks. "Yeah. You see that countless stars?"

He looked up. "Uh-huh."

"Let's say that those stars are your anger." Ji Eun explained. "Then the vast night sky will be your love for her." 

"Okay then, what are you trying to say?"

"I'm just saying that no matter how many anger or faults you have towards your mother, your love will always be greater."

Chanyeol smiled at her statement. She always know what to say.

"I think that's what love is." Ji Eun said, somehow surprised at her sudden realization while gazing at the stars. "It's infinite."

"You're getting better. I hope you're aware of that." Chanyeol mentioned, smiling at her.

"I learned a lot today, to be honest." Ji Eun stated. "I've been so oblivious that I didn't even become aware of the people around me. In fact, I've been so occupied at the thought of being hurt yet when I looked around, I knew that despite the pain, I am still loved."

Chanyeol was speechless at her bustle of words but it was alright for him to stay quiet because he wanted to know how Ji Eun was currently feeling and somehow, he was happy to see her like that. 

"Darn," he exhaled. "You're becoming something else."

"Is that a compliment?"

The boy chuckled as he shrugged. "Yea--"

"There!" Ji Eun exclaimed. "You finally smiled!"

Chanyeol huffed in disbelief. "You're creepy."

Ji Eun stood up and grinned. "So, can we go back now? Let's go see your mom."

 

~:~

 

The air was cold and crisp when the both of them walked on the sidewalk. None of them said anything which caused silence to conquer them. 

Ji Eun counted her foot steps, unaware that Chanyeol was studying her.

 

They say that love occurs in different ways and as for Chanyeol, it hit him straight in the head without warning or a clue.

He just looked at her. 

Her head was hung low as she made her delicate steps on the ground and somehow, as Chanyeol studied Ji Eun, he realized that he already became fond her.

And in that minute or two, he managed to dig deeper inside him only to be surprised at the fact that his heart has been calling her name all along.

And Chanyeol knew that he doesn't like the woman who was standing beside him.

 

He loves her.

 

~:~

 

Beneath the never ending cape of black, two people walked in silence.

Beneath the never ending cape of black, the girl counted her steps.

Beneath tbe never ending cape of black, the boy counted his wild heartbeats.


FindingSunshine 2014|04|29