Fun

The Peculiar Girl

Chanyeol took a deep breath after preparing the dining table. He bit his lower lip as he placed his hand on his waist, thinking of some ways on how he will talk to Ji Eun after of what just happened. He was about to take his steps out from the kitchen but suddenly stopped himself. 

With a grunt, he took a seat on one of the chairs surrounding the table and puffed his cheeks. 

"C'mon Chanyeol..." He muttered while scratching his head.

He was scolding himself for not having the courage to tell the girl that it's time to eat because of what happened a while ago. He fixed his eyes on the food that he prepared. "Ugh forget it. I'm hungry."

The latter shrugged his thoughts away and decided to just fill in the desires of his stomach, not even thinking of Ji Eun who's probably hungry too.

Ji Eun, on the other hand, was playing Angry Birds again on her phone but after a few minutes, she got bored so she set aside her phone and puffed her cheeks when an aroma entered her nostrils, causing her tummy to grumble. She sniffed heavily and stood up.

 

Chanyeol was eating peacefully when Ji Eun suddenly barged in and the boy almost swore that he heard his stomach churn.

"Eh? The food's already done and you didn't even call me." The girl muttered with a pout and took a seat across him.

Chanyeol decided to not make a response and tried his best to avoid her presence.

Ji Eun pursed her lips as she tried to take some quick glances at the boy settled across her. Of course, she can't deny the fact that she also found it awkward but then again, she's doing her best to shrug away her thoughts too.

The both of them were completely wrapped by silence and this silence is not just an ordinary quietness because this kind of silence that they're currently experiencing is dead awkward as if they could almost hear the beating of each other's hearts.

A few minutes had gone by and still, none of them dared to let out a single word.

The temperature was in between but Chanyeol was feeling uncomfortable and it is as if there were invisible beads of sweat were rolling on his forehead. His eyes were still focused on the plate as he swallowed a piece of Samgyupsal and then out of nowhere, he told himself to try to take a quick glance...

Just...

one...

glance...

So slowly, he took off his eyes on the plate and fixed it on the girl across him but much to his surprise, Ji Eun was looking also, causing him to choke himself.

He coughed heavily and quickly grabbed the glass of water.

He. was. completely. embarassing. himself.

When he could finally breathe normally, he settled the glass on its original position and realized that Ji Eun was chuckling, causing him to huff in disbelief. 

"What?" He said, irritated.

"Oh nothing, you're just funny." Ji Eun shook her head as she said it with a teasing tone.

"Funny..." Chanyeol mocked and settled his attention to his food, hoping that he would finish it soon without choking.

When he's finally done, he stood up from his seat and put his plate on the sink. Without a word, Chanyeol left the room.

He was about to make his way upstairs when he suddenly saw the two pictures on the couch. He clicked his tongue and and quickly grabbed it before taking his steps on the stairs.

Chanyeol locked himself inside his room with a thought that he won't go outside anymore until Soo Ri will arrive. 

He plainly stared at the ceiling as he drew his breath in and out. He then, felt the two pictures that he was holding so he took a look at it.

Chanyeol stared at his photo when he was a kid. As he fixed his eyes on it, a quiet chuckle escaped his lips when he recalled the time that Ji Eun . Well he had to admit that it was embarassing but he can't deny the fact that he also found it funny.

While thinking of these things, his thoughts suddenly averted to the time when he got lost in Ji Eun's eyes and how delicate her lips was.

Realizing at what's going on his mind, he buried his face on his pillow, unaware that his ears were absorbing the color of crimson.

 

The cheerful color of sun was slowly replaced by a cooling purple veil when Chanyeol woke up from his nap. With a yawn, he reached for his phone from the side table to look at the time.

It was 6:15 PM.

A knock was heard from his door right after he sat up so while scratching his head, he walked towards it.

He was still on his grumpy face when he opened it but his eyes suddenly widened when he realized that it was Ji Eun. 

Just before Ji Eun could say something, he quickly closed the door, surprising the girl because of his weird yet somehow rude action.

He facepalmed himself as he leaned on the wall while scolding himself for being foolish. But that's a fact anyway and besides, he was trying to avoid her and he doesn't even know why he's so conscious about it.

With a bewildered look, Ji Eun knock on the door again. "Hey Chanyeol,"

The boy took a deep breath before opening the door and much to his relief, he managed to plaster a blank expression. "What?"

"Suzy and I bought some rice cakes. Want some?"

"No."

Without even waiting for the girl's response, Chanyeol closed the door.

Ji Eun huffed in disbelief. "You should eat!"

Much to the latter's disappointment, she didn't hear any response.

"Uncanny Chanyeol goblin!" She snickered and went downstairs.

 

~:~

 

The next day, Luhan was staring blankly outside his window. His room's atmosphere was dull and he's just settled on his bed, finding the day boring. It was already in the afternoon and for Luhan, it is as if time became slow.

With a sigh, he fiddled his phone and stared at its wallpaper. It was his picture with Minah when they were still together. The corners of his lips slowly curled up as memories of the past visited him. While thinking of these things, he scanned his phone's contacts and suddenly stopped when he saw Ji Eun's name. 

Somehow, he found himself thinking of her. 

Don't get it the wrong way though, it's just that he got used in being with her almost every day. That's it...I guess?

Without even thinking of what he's doing, he clicked it and pressed his phone on his right ear. He found relief when she picked it up.

Ji Eun: Luhan?

Luhan: Hey! How are you?

Ji Eun: I'm...grand. Why did you call?

Luhan: Oh...nothing. I mean, I just want to know if you're feeling better now.

The boy heard her chuckle on the other line.

Ji Eun: Don't worry, I'm fine now. Thank you for asking though.

Luhan: You're welcome...uuh...hey look...uhh...are you free today?

Ji Eun: Well yeah kind of. Why?

Luhan: I was thinking if we could...you know...hang out.

Ji Eun: Where?

Luhan: I don't know...but do you want to?

Ji Eun: Yes of course!

The boy's lips slowly curled up into a smile.

Luhan: Alright...so I'll see you later?

Ji Eun: I'll see you later then.

 

Click

 

He placed his phone on the side table and quickly reached for his towel to ready himself. He was feeling a hint of excitement but he assured himself that it's not because of Ji Eun. Maybe it's just that he finally found something to do on a boring day.

 

"Where will you guys go?" Suzy asked while looking at Ji Eun who's on casual clothes.

The latter shrugged. "I don't know. Somewhere I guess."

"Alright, have fun then."

Suzy smiled when a honk was heard outside, making Ji Eun stood up from her seat and grabbed her small bag.

"I'll just let mom know." Suzy said, earning a nod from Ji Eun.

"Thanks,"

The both of them exchanged smiles before Suzy closed the gate.

"Hey," Luhan said when he opened the door for Ji Eun and much to his surprised, Ji Eun hugged him first.

"I haven't seen you in a while."

Luhan just smiled when they broke from each other's arms. "But it's just yesterday that we didn't meet."

"I know. But for me, it seems like it's been a long a time." Ji Eun replied and went inside the car. Luhan closed the door for her and went to the passenger's seat. That moment, he admitted that he also missed her presence.

Maybe just a little...?

"So where are we going?" Ji Eun asked.

Luhan gave his driver a knowing look with a nod, signalling it to start driving. "You'll see..."

Instead of starting a debate, Ji Eun decided to just stay quiet and while on their way, her eyelids somehow became heavy so she took a nap.

When the car finally reached its destination, Ji Eun sensed that the car came to a stop, causing her to open her eyes.

Luhan opened the door for her and gave her a smirk. "We're here."

"Where are we?" Ji Eun asked as she took a step outside while rubbing her eyes.

Hearing her question, Luhan curled his brow. "We're at the Lotte World."

"L-lotte what?"

Just before Luhan could make a reply, Ji Eun looked ahead and gaped in awe as they enter.

"W-what is this place?" She asked. And once again, her naive and innocent personality occured.

Seeing amazement basked on the girl's face, he wrinkled his brow. "Haven't you been here before?"

"Absolutely not..."

Luhan somehow huffed at her response. This girl surely is surprising as he remembered the time when they watched a movie. *Every time we go somewhere, it's always her first time.* 

"Tinkering brownies! Look at that!" Ji Eun chimed as she pointed at a big loop that almost touched the sky.

"Oh that's the Gia--"

"Pixie hollow! That looks like the castle in Fantasia!"

"F-fantasia wha--"

"Spectacular! What is that?"

"That's the Atl--"

"Oh that one! It's seriou--"

"Ji Eun." Luhan held her shoulders as he tried to contain himself because her actions were completely astonishing him.

"Calm down..." He continued.

Ji Eun's smile almost reached her ears. "Sorry, it's just that...this place is amazing!"

"Alright, I know that this is your first time but don't be too loud. People will look at you." The boy said with a wink.

Hearing his instruction, Ji Eun nodded and the two of them started to walk again.

Through the corner of his eye, Luhan saw how Ji Eun's face would turn to her right and left while was open.

This time, he didn't find it weird. He just chuckled slightly because he somehow felt like he's a father bringing a kid at an amusement park. Besides, it's her first time anyway to go here while him, on the other hand, had been there many times ever since he was a little boy.

"So what should we ride first?" Luhan asked as he clasped his hands.

"Huh?"

"What ride would you want?"

It took a while for Ji Eun to process his question. "Wait, you mean, we could ride those weird looking things?"

"Uhh...yeah."

Ji Eun widened her eyes. "Really?"

Luhan let out a chuckle. "Of course. People don't go here just to look at those."

"But...I don't know what to ride first."

"Okay, I'll pick then."

Without knowing, Luhan wrapped his hand around her wrist and lead her to one of his favorite rides and together, they fall in line. That day, there weren't many people which gave relief to Luhan because he doesn't have patience when it comes to waiting in line.

"Waikiki Wave?" Ji Eun read the post with a curled brow.

"Yeah, you'll gonna love this."

After a few minutes of waiting, the assistant already lead them and Ji Eun made sure that her belt was fastened. Somehow, her heart was beating fast because of nervousness. She looked at Luhan who's seated beside her. Excitement was seen on his face, making Ji Eun smile.

She loves seeing this side of Luhan...he was like a kid that just won a toy at in an arcade.

When all of them were finally settled, Ji Eun drew in a deep breath before the ride started.

Screams were heard and as much as Ji Eun wants to yell, she didn't have the energy because it felt like left her. She shut her eyes close, wishing that it will stop now. This thing surely is awesome when you look at it but it's awfully scary when you ride it.

After a few minutes that seemed like a lifetime, it finally stopped moving and Ji Eun felt glad at the fact that she's still alive.

"That was fun!" Luhan chimed as the two of them went out. 

Ji Eun managed to smile even though she felt her insides churn.

 

~:~

 

After that, the both of them watched some parades and Ji Eun admitted that she prefer it than what they rode a while ago.

Seeing the people with fantastic costumes, Ji Eun can't stop herself from smiling in amazement. "They're so awesome."

"Yeah..." Luhan replied before averting his gaze to her. Her attention was completely focused on the parade and somehow, her cheerful radiance made Luhan's lips curled up slightly. This is the first time that he took notice of her smile because it somehow contained something far more greater that simple joy. He reached for his phone from his pocket and took a picture of her for the very first time. 
The smile that was plastered on her face was completely worth it and Luhan knew it. 

Hearing the clicking sound of the camera, Ji Eun suddenly looked at Luhan and saw that he was staring at his phone.

"You look cute here." He said.

"You took a picture of me?" Ji Eun asked, widening her eyes.

Luhan just gave a playful smirk when Ji Eun approached a complete stranger.  "Uhh...excuse me...can you take a picture of us?"

The woman happily agreed and took Ji Eun's phone.

Luhan was surprised at what Ji Eun did but he just shrugged and decided to get along.  Ji Eun hooked her arms on his arms and together, they both smiled. Their smiles weren't fake or forced because just by looking at it, they're giving the definition of fun.

That was their very first picture.

"Let me see..." 

"Yeah sure." Ji Eun handed her phone to him after getting it from the woman.

Luhan found satisfaction on the picture and he sended it to his phone via bluetooth.

"What did you do?" The girl asked when Luhan gave back her phone.

"I sent it to mine." 

"Really? Well you should make it your phone's wallpaper." She cheerfully suggested.

"Oh yeah...sure." Luhan replied without assurance and put back his phone inside his pocket. He can't change his wallpaper. It was him and Minah.

The both of them started to walk around when Ji Eun felt her tummy growled for food. 

"Can we eat first before riding another one?" She requested and much to her relief, Luhan agreed. 

They walked towards the food court and Luhan let Ji Eun pick. 

"Hmm...I don't really know. What's yours anyway?"

Luhan tapped his fingers on his chin as he scanned the menu. "I'll go with Double Bulgogi Burger."

"Ohh that sounds delicious. That's mine too then."

"Alright,"

When they finally took their orders, they settled themselves around a table and started to savor their snacks. Ji Eun gazed at Luhan who took a drink from a can of Pepsi.

"Hey Luhan, thank you."

The boy wrinkled his brow at her statement. "For what?"

"You know, for taking me here at L-lotte?"

"Lotte World,"

"Oh...right."

Luhan reached for a tissue and wiped his mouth. "Seriously, this is your first time to go here?"

The girl nodded, making Luhan huff in disbelief. "Wow...that's a surprise."

Ji Eun gave an awkward laugh. "Sorry...it's just that...we don't have this kind of place in F-fantasia."

There was a hint of hesitation when she let out those words and she doesn't even know why. Maybe she's still not ready to tell it to him.

"What?" Luhan asked.

"Oh...it's nothing." Ji Eun said and bit her lower lip as she take a look at him. Maybe it's really not the right time to tell him.

"So how's Lotte World?"

"Amazing! More than that actually. " Ji Eun chimed and clasped her hands. 

Luhan smirked at her sudden outburst. "I knew you'll gonna love it."

"Of course I love it!"

"So what ride would we go next?"

"I completely don't know." The girl said as she shook her head.

Luhan drew out his breath, enough to let Ji Eun hear it. "You know, I kind of want to go to the ice rink with you."

The girl cocked her head to the side. "Huh?"

"Ahh...it's hard to explain but I'm sure you'll like it."

The both og them stood up from their seat after finishing their food.

"Well let's go there now then." Ji Eun said and hooked her arm on Luhan's. The latter was kind of surprise at her sudden skinship but then he realized, they're in a 'relationship' anyway. Well he got to admit that he like it so he just shook his head as a chuckle escaped his mouth.

"But wait, let's ride others first."

Hearing his words, Ji Eun nodded with a cheery face.

"Okay then, let's go to the Giant Loop."

 

~:~

 

Ji Eun felt a lump in as she looked at a very large circle right in front of her.

*THERE'S. NO. WAY. I. COULD. RIDE. THAT. THING.*

"Great, there aren't much people." Luhan chimed and dragged himself towards the line along with Ji Eun.

"So...this is the G-giant...L-loop?" Ji Eun stuttered and tried to plaster a smile.

"Yeah. I tell you, this is absolutely fun!" The boy exclaimed and Ji Eun somehow found it cute because it seems like Luhan turned into a seven year old kid. This was surely a new image of him that she encountered.

The girl gave an awkward laugh. What she really wanted to do was to run away and ride anything except for that freakin' large circle. Just by looking at it and hearing the screams of people, her stomach eventually churned.

Her mind was in jeopardy and she could feel sweat rolling on her forehead but as she looked at Luhan whose face is full of expectations and excitement, she doesn't have the strength to go away.

It's just that he's so adorable today.

Just look at those glimmering eyes and his awesome smile.

Darn.

She can't resist it.

His aura is too powerful!

"Yes! It's our turn now." Luhan chimed and together, they walked towards it.

The girl gathered a lot of courage as she took a seat. She had to do this. For Luhan.

And somehow, she's starting to learn that she should make people happy so if she run away, she knew that it would disappoint him.

The assistant started to fasten their belts while Ji Eun just pursed her lips, nervous of what will happen after a few minutes.

So the ride started.

And Ji Eun swore she almost died.

 

~:~

 

"That was fun!" Luhan chimed as he unfastened his belt, compeletely unaware that the girl beside him was completely traumatized.

Ji Eun's hands were completely shaking and it seems like all that's inside her had been dislocated.

A grin was plastered on Luhan's face because of his enjoyment. He was happily walking ahead when he realized that Ji Eun wasn't beside him anymore, causing him to stop himself from walking and then he looked back.

Ji Eun was slowly taking her steps while her head was hung low. With a questioning face, Luhan walked back and stood in front of her.

"Is something wrong?"

Surprised at his presence, Ji Eun raised her head to meet his eyes and then she vehemently shook her head but Luhan didn't believe her answer.

"Are you sure?"

Ji Eun heaved a sigh and let out a small chuckle. "I'm sorry. It's just that...I got scared."

Hearing her reply, Luhan let out a confused look. "Scared? Of what? The giant loop?"

"Y-yeah," Ji Eun responded and fanned herself, trying to shrug away her nervousness even though it's already finsihed.

Knowing the reason of her quietness, a playful smirk appeared on his face. This girl always surprise him.

While Ji Eun was fanning herself, Luhan noticed that her hands were shaking.

Without hesitation, Luhan reached for her hand and interlaced it with his. The feeling was somehow warm because Luhan knew that he sincerely did it. Ji Eun surprisingly looked at him while the boy just gave her a smile.  "Come on,"

The both of them were walking hand in hand and was on their way to the ice rink when Ji Eun felt more dizzy and it seems like something was forming inside her stomach.

She stopped from her tracks and Luhan felt her hand tightened.

"Are you okay?"

The girl didn't answer and placed her hand on her stomach. Something was wrong and she can't pinpoint what it was.

And just before Luhan could make a word, Ji Eun suddenly let go of his hand and ran.

 

~:~

 

The boy puffed his cheeks and looked at his shoes while leaning on the wall beside a white door. After a few seconds, he tried to eavesdrop and knocked a two times. "Are you alright now?"

He didn't receive any reply so he heaved a sigh and went back to his position. 

Ji Eun fished out her pink handkerchief from the pocket of her jeans and wiped the corner of her lips. She vomitted a lot and right now, she's feeling a throbbing pain in her head. After taking a deep breath, Ji Eun went out and saw Luhan quickly walked to her with a concerned face. "Are you feeling well?"

"My head hurts."

The two of them walked slowly while Luhan kept on rubbing her back. "Ji Eun, can you still make it?"

The girl bit her lower lip. She wanted to say yes because she doesn't want to ruin his enjoyment but her head really hurts so she decided to tell the truth. "I...I don't think so."

After buying a bottle of water, they decided to end their day. Luhan just finished making a call to his driver so while waiting, they sat on one of the benches.

Ji Eun took a drink from the bottle and she felt Luhan's hand gently patted her back. 

"I'm sorry...I never thought that the Giant Loop would traumatize you."

The girl placed the bottle beside her. "Nah, it's okay."

Silence wrapped the both of them when Luhan heard Ji Eun chuckling.

"What?" He questioned, completely clueless.

Ji Eun tried to stop herself. "It's just that..mpft..I remembered how I look like a while ago."

Her chuckle turned into laughter while Luhan just stared at her, completely bewildered. But in the end, he got along and laughed with her.

After a minute of laughing, Ji Eun wiped her watery eyes. "Anyway, I'm sorry about today. I felt dizzy all of a sudden."

"Sorry for what?"

"I mean...you really want to go to the ice rink but then something happened."

Hearing her words, Luhan just smiled. "Nah it's alright. There's always a next time."

Ji Eun just nodded even though she can see that there was a hint of disappointment basked on his face and she knew that she's the reason.

"I really am sorry. What's with the ice rink anyway?"

Luhan clasped his hands together. "Well, it is where you can go ice skating."

Her eyes flickered. "Really? That sounds fun."

While having a small conversation, Luhan's driver arrived so the both of them stood up.

 

The ride back home was quiet but they didn't mind though. Luhan knew that she needs to take a rest.

When they finally reached her house, Luhan opened the door for her.

"Do you feel well now?" He asked as he looked at her with so much concern.

"Kind of..."

Out of nowhere, Luhan somehow wanted to hug her and tell her that he really had fun but in the end, he just placed his hands on her shoulders.

"Thanks for today."

"Thank you too. I'll see you on Mon-I mean, Tuesday." 

"Yeah, we don't have classes on Monday that's why we had a make up class yesterday." Luhan responded and both of them just stared at each other, not knowing what to do next.

Luhan looked at her...she's so petite and fragile that he even came to the point that he scolded himself for using her.

After a few seconds of awkwardness, Luhan decided to break it. "Well, I need to go."

Just before he could enter his car, he gave her a final small wave.

 

~:~

 

Luhan was staring blankly at the streets they passed by . He was feeling ecstatic all of a sudden and he knew that it's because of what happened today. It's been a while that he experienced this kind of day like going to a place with someone and embrace the definition of fun without a care in the world around them, 

It's been a long while that he missed it.

And somehow, this feeling managed to break some of the chains of his heart and her thanked Ji Eun for that because he realized that being with her is kind of fun too. 

It was nice and awesome but he can't escape the fact that he's just using her.


Hey there! 

I really am sorry for not updating! It's just that, we had a lot of quizzes at school this week so I didn't have time to write. But I do make a draft of the next chapter whenever there's a free time so that I could just type it when I get home. I hope you like this. Oh and by the way, did any of you go to KFest last Sunday (July 28)? I was there! :)
You can read my blog post about it:

 

KFEST 4

And anyway, I made MY OWN VERSION of The Peculiar Girl trailer. Kindly watch it and give me an opinion. And also, thank you for all those heartwarming birthday greetings! God bless!

 

 

Yours truly,

FindingSunshine