Encountering Orphans

The Peculiar Girl

 

“Do you have a phone?” Ji Eun asked after taking a bite from the burger that she bought.

Myungsoo gave her a nod and took a sip from his bottled water.

Knowing his response, she widened her eyes and quickly fished out her phone from her pocket and asked for his number. Myungsoo took it from her and typed his number and after that, he took out his own phone and asked for her number.

“Alright! We can still keep in touch even though we’re far from each other.” Ji Eun chimed as she saved his number. “Phones are so awesome you know.” She added.

Myungsoo found it cliché but he just chuckled and let himself go with the flow. “Ohh…yeah.”

Ji Eun stood up from her seat and settled herself beside Myungsoo since she was sitting across him a while ago. “Let’s take a picture.”

“Okay,” Myungsoo replied and together, they smiled until Ji Eun clicked.

A grin appeared on her face as she looked at the picture. “Perfect,”

“Let’s take a picture using my phone too.” Myungsoo suggested and Ji Eun quickly agreed.

Ji Eun returned from her original seat with a grin while Myungsoo muttered a ‘thank you’.

“Myungsoo,” Ji Eun mumbled and he gave her a questioning look.

“Do you have friends?” Ji Eun asked out of curiosity.

Myungsoo nodded. “Why?”

“Then, where are they?” Ji Eun questioned with a furrowed brow.

“They’re probably settled on one of the tables here.” He replied.

Ji Eun cocked her head to the side. “But why aren’t you taking your snacks with them?”

Myungsoo sighed and looked at her. “I told them that I won’t take snacks with them sometimes.”

“Eh? Why?”

“Because, I noticed that these days, you need a friend. And for me, being a friend is better than to have one.” Myungsoo replied, softening Ji Eun’s heart. “Don’t worry, my friends don’t mind though because I still spend my free time with them.”

Ji Eun smiled. “Thank you,”

“No problem, I’m your knight anyway.” Myungsoo said and gave her a wink.

Ji Eun chuckled and held her thumbs up.

 

~:~

 

Their subject teacher is still not there and the students of Section A were making noises. Some of them are chattering with their friends as if a day is not enough to finish their conversation while some are taking a nap just like Luhan. Ji Eun glanced at him and stared at his closed eyes, enough to make her heart beats fast. She fished out her phone from her pocket and gently took a picture of him.

After taking a picture of him sleeping, Ji Eun bit her lower lip as she rested her head on the table and glued her eyes on him, telling herself that she could do this for a lifetime.

“Stop staring, he might melt.” Chanyeol muttered.

Ji Eun spun around and looked at Chanyeol who’s sitting on the chair behind Myungsoo’s seat.

She sent him a glare and Chanyeol just rolled his eyes. “Oooh scary,”

Myungsoo just chuckled at their childish war and he got to admit that he’s voting for Chanyeol because he doesn’t like Luhan for Ji Eun...maybe because he wants himself for her.

It was finally dismissal time when Ji Eun and Chanyeol made their way to the waiting area and Suzy quickly stood up and ran towards the two of them.

“Hey!” Suzy said and tightened her grip around the strap of her bag.

Chanyeol gave her a nod while Suzy took out her credit card from one of the pockets of her bag.

“Here,” Suzy said, handing it to him.

Chanyeol wrinkled his brow along with Ji Eun. “You’re not coming with us?”

Suzy pouted and shook her head. “I can’t…Kikwang and I are going to the café.”

“Wait, what’re you guys talking about?” Ji Eun asked, completely clueless.

The two just ignored her and continued their conversation.

“How about, you guys do the grocery shopping while I do the baking?” Suzy suggested.

Chanyeol gave her a stern look for a minute and after that, nodded.

Suzy grinned and quickly hugged Chanyeol. “Yay! Thank you! I need to go now.”

“Wait Suzy, where are you going?” Ji Eun asked.

“I have a date with Kikwang.” Suzy replied and gave her a wave before walking away.

Hearing her reply, Ji Eun pouted. *Kikwang…Kikwang…you’re always with Kikwang.*

Chanyeol tapped her shoulder. “Let’s go?”

Ji Eun looked at him, completely naïve. “Where are we going anyway? And why did she mention something about grocery?”

“Ohh yeah right, well, it’s mom’s birthday tomorrow and every year, Suzy and I always surprise her that’s why this year, we’ll gonna bake a cake for her.” Chanyeol said and smiled.

Ji Eun widened her eyes. “What?! It’s Auntie’s birthday?!”

“What did I just say…” Chanyeol muttered and started to walk.

“Auntie’s not going to pick us here?” Ji Eun asked.

Being tired of her countless questions, Chanyeol scratched his head. “She’ll be home by midnight since she’s busy.”

Ji Eun nodded in understanding when she suddenly saw Luhan walking out from the gate.

“Luhan…” Ji Eun mumbled and quickly readied her feet to run towards him when she suddenly failed since Chanyeol grabbed her arm. “Don’t…” He muttered.

“Here we go again…” Ji Eun said in annoyance as she continued to yank his hand away but much to her disappointment, she failed.

“Let go!” She shouted but when he finally let go of her arms, Luhan was already nowhere to be seen.

“I hate you!” Ji Eun shouted with a glare. “Can’t you see that I haven’t normally talked with him for weeks?”

Seeing her anger outburst, Chanyeol just sighed. “I’m doing this for your own good Ji Eun.”

“Oh really? What makes you say that then?” Ji Eun sneered while her arms were crossed above her chest.

His hands made a fist and looked intensely at her. “Because!”

Ji Eun flinched at the sound of his voice but managed to stay normal while Chanyeol inhaled deeply as he tried to find the words to finish his sentence.

“I don’t want you to get hurt.” He said and walked away from her, leaving her dumbfounded.

After a few seconds, he scratched his head with a sigh and turned to her again. “Let’s go, we still need to make a surprise for mom.”

Ji Eun nodded in defeat and walked behind him.

 

~:~

 

The both of them just walked since there is a grocery store that’s just a walking distance from their school. They reached it but never did any of them talk that’s why the sound of their footsteps and their breathing are their only indirect conversation.

Chanyeol opened the door for Ji Eun and when they finally entered, Chanyeol grabbed a shopping basket behind the counter and took out his phone from his pocket to read the list of the things that are needed to buy which was made by Suzy.

“Okay, a flour…” Chanyeol mumbled while Ji Eun just tagged along and looked at the vegetables in the left side.

After searching for the section where Flours can be seen, Chanyeol grabbed a pack of it and put it inside the basket he's 

holding while Ji Eun just watched from behind.

She cleared and tapped his right shoulder while they were walking, making Chanyeol turn to look at her and gave her a questioning look.

“I can carry that basket if you want. So that I can help…” Ji Eun mumbled as she played her fingers with the hem of her blouse.

“Okay then,” Chanyeol said with a nod and handed it to her, making Ji Eun smile widely.

They started to walk again and Ji Eun found it awkward because the silence wrapped around the two of them makes her uncomfortable.

Chanyeol tossed a pack of sugar into the basket when Ji Eun let out a sigh. “I’m…sorry…”

He stopped from his tracks and gave her a nod. “It’s okay.”

Ji Eun didn’t find any satisfaction in his answer that’s why she quickly grabbed his arm just before he could walk again. “I really mean it. Seriously, I said it with sincerity just like what you told me.”

He smiled at her statement and patted the top of her head. “Well just like what I told you, it’s okay. You may not understand why I did that to you a while ago but like what I said, it’s for your own good.”

Not getting what he meant, she bit her lower lip and just nodded before they continued to buy some groceries.

After an hour of scanning and completing the list, Ji Eun had a hard time carrying the basket because of its weight. Chanyeol insisted her a while ago that he’ll just carry it but she always shakes her head and say that she can do it.

Chanyeol took a quick glance at her and caught her catching some air. He shook his head with a chuckle and suddenly took the basket from her, surprising Ji Eun.

“I told you can d—“

“It’s important to say the truth.” Chanyeol cut.

She scrunched her nose, telling herself that he’s right. “Alright, I can’t do it.”

A playful smirk appeared on Chanyeol’s face when her reply entered his ears. “Good, you should learn to embrace the truth.”

Ji eun widened her eyes and snapped her finger. “That’s right! I should write it on my notebook later.”

He just gave her a nod and together, they went towards the cashier.

When their feet finally touched the ground outside, the sun was already setting. Chanyeol carried two plastic bags while Ji Eun carried one.

“How will we go home?” Ji Eun questioned.

“We’re going to take a bus.” Chanyeol replied and after a few minutes, they finally reached the waiting area.

The both of them took a seat as they waited while there were only a few people can be seen.

“I hope Suzy will make a good cake…” Chanyeol mumbled as he glanced at the plastic bags rested on the ground. “And I hope mom will love it.” He added.

Ji Eun gave him an assuring smile. “I’m sure Auntie will love it.”

After a minute of silence, Ji Eun looked at Chanyeol who’s looking at the ground and that moment, she saw it again…that something behind those brown orbs of his eyes…something like melancholy.

“Chanyeol…”

He snapped out from his thoughts and gave her a questioning look. “Mm?”

“Why…uhh…Auntie told me that you’re not his true son because you’re just her nephew…but for me it seems like she really is your mom just by looking at how you treat her.” Ji Eun replied.

He gave a forced smile and looked away from her. “Ohh…well. I really love her because she took care of me ever since I was seven…I’m like this because I know that I owe her so much and I think that giving her some love is one of the best ways for me to repay her.”

She nodded at his response and looked at the road and there was still no sign of a coming bus.

“Where are…your parents then?” She questioned out of complete curiosity towards him.

“I don’t know…” He muttered and looked at the distance, maybe somewhere in the horizon.

She gave him a worried look. “Auntie told me that they abando—“

“Oh bus is here.” He cut, and quickly grabbed the plastic bags.

He let Ji Eun enter first and fished out his bus card from his pocket.

She settled herself on the seat beside the window while Chanyeol settled himself beside her, wishing that the topic a while ago will fade but much to his disappointment, Ji Eun brought it up again.

“How does it feel like to grow without a real parent beside you? It’s just that…I have a happy family in Fantasia and knowing your story makes me wo—“

“Let’s play a game.” Chanyeol suddenly said and looked at her with a grin but his current eyes were not matching his happiness because she knew that there was something rotten and buried behind those.

“What?” She asked.

“Let’s see who can stay quiet for a long time. No one will speak. The one who will be quiet until we reached home will be the winner.” Chanyeol explained.

She wrinkled her brow. “But I just asked you a q—“

“One, two, three go.” He suddenly said and fished out his iPod from his bag and settled the earphones in his ears with a smile. Chanyeol just looked at the ground and pretended to be busy in his own world.

Ji Eun sighed and looked at the passing cars through the window. She knew that he’s just trying to get away with that topic. His ears somehow don’t want to hear that kind of conversation and it made her wonder…there was something he was running away from…a thought or a memory that’s haunting him. Just like a thief running away from a police.

After a few moments, Chanyeol glanced at Ji Eun who’s busy looking at the world through the window.

He let out a sigh. Ji Eun surely is pushy since she’s too innocent when it comes to reality. She’s still naïve and clueless when it comes to pains and hurt that this world gives. He saw how she worriedly looked at him and he hated it because he doesn’t want to see people giving him looks, telling that they pity him. He doesn’t want to be pitied because he wants to be loved.

 It made him wonder how her world looks like because it seems like everything there ends with a happy ever after not like the world he’s living in. Some were happy and enjoying life, some were broken and were just waiting for death to meet them while some were just trying to hold on despite the pains this life gives. And to him, he was part of the people who were still holding on and hoping for a serendipity.

When they finally arrived, Suzy was already there, waiting for them.

“Great you guys are here! I can bake now…” She chimed and took the plastic bags from them.

Chanyeol just ignored her and removed his shoes while Ji Eun just gave her a smile, she was somehow disappointed at Suzy because these past few days, they have never bond because that Kikwang which is her so-called boyfriend is on the way as if like he was a great big wall that separated the two of them.

Suzy went to the kitchen and started to do the things she needed to do while Ji Eun and Chanyeol went upstairs while silence enveloped them. She just stayed behind him until she reached her room.

“We have a tie. Nice game…” He muttered.

Ji Eun stopped herself from her tracks and looked at him but much to her disappointment, he already went inside his room.

 

~:~

 

“Where is she? I’m already sleepy…” Suzy mumbled.

It was already midnight and the lights were already out and the candles on the cake were the only source of light. Chanyeol stood before the switch so that he’ll be the one to turn on the lights when Soo Ri entered.

Ji Eun just quietly sat on the couch and looked at the flickering light when a sound of car disturbed them.

“I think she’s here.” Chanyeol whispered and after a few minutes, the door opened and Chanyeol quickly opened the lights.

“Surprise!!!” The three of them exclaimed, surprising Soo Ri.

She looked at the adorable cake on the center table, making her lips curled up into a smile.

“Happy birthday mom!” Chanyeol chimed and lead Soo Ri towards the cake.

Together, they sang Soo Ri a happy birthday song before she could blow the candles.

“Thank you, this surely made my day.” Soo Ri said while tears were forming on the corners of her eyes.

Chanyeol and Suzy walked towards her and hugged their mom tightly while Ji Eun just stayed beside them with hands clasped together.

“C’mon Ji Eun, join us…” Soo Ri said with a smile.

Ji Eun bit her lower lip and walked towards them and slowly wrapped her hands around them.

They bent together…like a tiny fortress in a field of happiness.

 

~:~

 

“That was fun!” Suzy chimed as she settled herself on her bed while Ji Eun just gave her a nod.

Sensing something, Suzy sat up from her bed and looked at Ji Eun who’s arranging the pillows.

“Ji Eun?”

Ji Eun gave her a questioning look as she sat on her bed.

“Are you okay?” Suzy asked, completely curious.

Remembering what Chanyeol told her about saying the truth, Ji Eun shook her head, telling that she’s really not alright.

Suzy wrinkled her brow. “Why? Is something bothering you?”

Ji Eun sighed. “Why did you suddenly care? Go busy yourself with your boyfriend.”

She muttered and quickly pulled the blankets as she turned her back to Suzy and covered herself with with the blankets.

Suzy was taken aback at Ji Eun’s cold response, making her clenched her fist. “What’s the matter with you?”

Ji Eun didn’t reply nor move, disappointing Suzy.

 

~:~

 

The next day, Ji Eun didn’t go to school because Soo Ri said that she’ll come with her.

She thought that it’s better because the atmosphere between her and Suzy is somehow complicated.

The car came to a stop in a place that is unusual for Ji Eun. “Where are we?”

“We’re at an orphanage.” Soo Ri replied with a smile and gestured Ji Eun to come out.

A gentle wind met her skin together with a refreshing smell, making Ji Eun smile since she loves this kind of places where a lot of trees are visible.

Soo Ri opened the car’s compartment and took out some boxes with the help of Ji Eun.

Suddenly, a bunch of kids gathered around Soo Ri, surprising Ji Eun.

“Who are they Auntie?” Ji Eun asked as she placed the boxes on the floor.

“They are kids here in the orphanage.” Soo Ri said with a smile and waved her hands to the kids who were calling her name.

Ji Eun went beside Soo Ri and Soo Ri introduced her to the children and to the elders who are working in the orphanage.

Ji Eun smiled politely and after a few minutes, some kids started to form around her.

Soo Ri opened one of the boxes and started to give out some bags of chips to the children and Ji Eun initiatively helped Soo Ri. While they were giving out, Ji Eun looked at Soo Ri.

“Auntie…what is an orphanage? And why are there a lot of kids here?” Ji Eun innocently asked.

“The kids live here. They don’t have parents. Some were abandoned, some were here because their parents died. The children that are scattered around the streets are usually sent here so that they’ll have a proper place to live in.” Soo Ri explained.

Hearing her explanation, Ji Eun widened her eyes. “You mean, these adorable children don’t have parents? They’ll just live here…forever?”

Soo Ri shook her head and let out a chuckle. “Of course not, some people that don’t have a child usually go here to adopt.”

“Ohh…” Ji Eun mumbled as she tried to understand what she’s saying. *This world surely is complicated.*

She looked at the kids playing with smiles basked on their faces as if this place is a world where happiness lives and it made her wonder that these children are strong enough to face this kind of life or are they still little to understand what’s going on their lives?

Her thoughts lead to a conclusion that became her goal for today. She realized that these children need some love and care from their parents but since they don’t have any parents now, these elders in the orphanage, Soo Ri and her will be the one that will fill up the empty spaces in their hearts that their parents failed to do. This day, she wants to take care of these children and let them feel that this is not the end…that they can still find happiness despite their circumstances and to tell them that there are people who will still accept them and take care of them. She was willing to do it because she wants them to grow up knowing that they are loved.

It’s already been an hour and Ji Eun was at the playground playing with a kid named Sujin.

The both of them sat on the grassy ground to rest when Ji Eun gave Sujin a lollipop.

The little girl happily accepted it while Ji Eun looked at her cheery face as Sujin unwrapped it.

“Sujin, are you happy?” Ji Eun asked, feeling the blades of grass since she’s just wearing her slippers.

Sujin nodded with those crescent eyes of hers and it made Ji Eun smile. “Can you promise me something?”

“Anything for you unnie,” Sujin replied with a joyful tone.

“I want you to stay happy while living here in this complicated world.” Ji Eun ordered and Sujin nodded and the two of them secured the promise in their hearts through the interlacing of their pinkies. A promise that Ji Eun wants to stay in the heart and mind of Sujin everywhere she go.

After playing with the kids, Ji Eun sat on the bench beside Soo Ri who’s looking at the children from a far with a smile.

“They’re adorable…” Ji Eun said as she wiped away the beads of sweat on her forehead using her handkerchief.

“I know...” Soo Ri mumbled and continued to marvel the view right in front of her eyes.

“Auntie…can I ask you something?” Ji Eun mumbled.

“Go on,” Soo Ri said with a gesture.

Ji Eun bit her lower lip as she tried to put the words. “Chanyeol…is like these kids right? He doesn’t have any parent…”

Hearing her statement, Soo Ri sighed and looked at Ji Eun. It somehow surprised her because Ji Eun is getting more curious. With a nod, she made a reply. “Well sad to say, it is a yes. His dad is my brother but he died because of a heart attack when Chanyeol was seven.”

“But…where is his mom then?”

Soo Ri sighed as memories years ago came back to her again. “There was a time when Chanyeol and his mom came to my house. She said that she’ll just leave Chanyeol for a day so I agreed. Little did I know that she literally left him…”

“I don’t …I don’t understand. I mean, what did Chanyeol do?”

“He was completely clueless about what his mom did that time. He asked me why his mom is still not there to pick him up so I kept on saying that she’ll come…so he waited…he sat beside the entrance door everyday instead of playing with the kids outside.”

“It must’ve been hard for him huh?”

Soo Ri nodded. “It was really hard to him and to me as well. Every time he asked me that same question, I always gave him the same answer over and over again until it came to a point that Chanyeol became mad and cried hard. After that, he didn’t ask me that question anymore…maybe because he already found the truth behind the answer that I always give to him. I said that she’ll come but behind that, the answer is she’ll never come.”

Ji Eun tried to grasp the things that Soo Ri said. Visions of Chanyeol with a playful grin on his face emerged in her thoughts, making her realize that there really was a story behind his joyful façade.

“Oh…can I ask another question?”

“Go on,” Soo Ri replied with a smile.

“Where’s…your husband?” Ji Eun nervously asked.

“I don’t have a husband…”

Ji Eun wrinkled her brow and gave Soo Ri a questioning look. “We were never married…he just got me pregnant…and that is Suzy. I never saw him since Suzy was born.”

“Did it become hard for Suzy too?”

“Well yes of course but as time goes by, she accepted it and it became forgotten when Chanyeol entered our lives because he became Suzy’s playmate that’s why today, they’re close just like a mouse and a cheese.”

Ji Eun chuckled, realizing that she really doesn’t know that behind those two happy people, there were scars caused by pain that became numb as time goes by.

“Well I guess you need to say bye to these kids. We need to go now.” Soo Ri announced, making Ji Eun pout.

Ji Eun walked towards the children and bid her farewell but before she could go, she fished out her phone from her pocket and took pictures with them.

“I hope you learn something at what we did today…I brought you here for a purpose.” Soo Ri said with a smile before entering the car.

 

~:~

 

Today, my thoughts about this world became unfathomable. This world surely is complicated…I mean, it seems like all kinds of pain live here, making me wonder if happy every after exist here.

Auntie and I went to a place called the orphanage where I got the chance to help children that don’t have parents anymore. It must’ve been hard for them because seeing them alone at their early age seems painful to me just by looking at them. The kids were so adorable and they’re like living dolls that I can play with but I hope that what I did with them will leave a mark in their heart and give them the idea that there are always people out there that love them and are willing to do the role as their parents.

Auntie told me that she brought me there for a purpose and she’s absolutely right because I learned that helping others is a wonderful thing to do. I did something to give joy to them instead of myself, teaching me how to be selfless. Besides, I just realized that making others happy is so much better than making myself happy.

And I also want to tell you something…Auntie and I had a conversation about Chanyeol’s condition, Suzy’s condition and her condition as well. I scolded myself for being so caught napping to notice the things that are going on behind their joyful appearances because I realized that somewhere inside them was broken because of the pains they’ve felt years ago. It even made me wondered that how could they smile like that as if everything is alright? When the fact is, they’re totally crestfallen. I know that those pains they’ve felt are still there…maybe just buried. Because events like those are hard to be forgotten.

Those tons of pain were somehow buried as time goes by and I hope that happiness was the one who buried them. Just by thinking of it, I can’t explain what would I be now if those events happened to me. Seriously…because memories like that are hard to escape and to forget. And it seems like time is the only way to escape those pains. Maybe it’s true then…time has the ability to heal wounds.

Knowing those stories and knowing their conditions, I found myself lucky to not have those kinds of happenings. But still, I marvel those people because despite how complicated the circumstances that are going in their lives, they still managed to smile and be happy.  

 

Ji Eun closed her notebook with a smile and looked at the pictures of her phone. She really found cameras awesome because in that way, she would still manage to take a hold of that memory through a photo that is visible in front of her eye. She looked at her picture with the children while a smile was plastered on her lips, thinking that photographs can capture a moment that is gone forever and impossible to reproduce. 

 


 

Hello!

I read the comments and a lot of you are seriously dead curious about what's going on with Luhan and I want you to know that you're about to unfold that mystery soon. Maybe at the next chapter? 
I hope that what Ji Eun learns here in our world can also touch your hearts. That's all. May God bless all of you. 

DFTBA

 

Yours with happiness,
FindingSunshine