Finding Ji Eun

The Peculiar Girl

Ji Eun took a seat on one of the chairs in the balcony and watched a line of soft, white clouds rise like foam at the edge of the horizon. She sighed deeply and pursed her lips when she heard the door opened, making her head turned into that direction. Chanyeol walked towards her with a bottled water and settled himself on one of the stairs of the balcony. “Hey,”

“Hey,” Ji Eun murmured with a tired face as if there’s something going on inside her.

Chanyeol glanced at her and saw dreariness basked on her face, making him twitch his eyebrow.

“What’s with the sad face?”

Ji Eun heaved her shoulders and stood up, settling herself beside Chanyeol. “I’m just…thinking I guess.”

Chanyeol shrugged and took a sip from the bottle. “Thinking what?”

She propped up her knees and wrapped her arms around it. “About Luhan…”

Hearing her response, Chanyeol rolled his eyes as he scratched his head. “Luhan...Luhan...does your mind only knows his name?”

Ji Eun glared at him. “Whatever…”

He sighed and looked at the flowers swaying with the wind. “Why are you thinking about him?”

She shrugged before making a reply. “I don’t know…it’s just that I’ve never talk with him properly ever since I became his classmate. It seems like he became so far even though he’s just beside me.”

“Maybe you stink that’s why he doesn’t want to talk with you.” Chanyeol teased, earning a slap on the shoulder from Ji Eun. “Ow!”

“I’m not in the mood for jokes right now!” Ji Eun shouted as she rolled her eyes.

Chanyeol rubbed his shoulders and didn’t give a reply.

“Actually, he started to become so far to me since I confessed. I don’t know what he feels for me because he’s so hard to understand…I’m confused.” She said with a sigh.

Hearing her words, Chanyeol remembered what Luhan told him and it scared him if he would tell it to Ji Eun. “Maybe…he doesn’t like you.”

Ji Eun bit her lower lip as she heard his reply. “No! Of course he likes me!”

“Really? What makes you say that?” Chanyeol questioned with a hint of a challenging tone.

“I don’t know. Ugh what kind of a question is that?!” Ji Eun sneered.

Chanyeol ruffled his hair in frustration. “See? You don’t know.”

Ji Eun quieted and didn’t even bother to reply.

“Don’t be a slave of your own feelings because sometimes, things don’t go the way you want them to.” Chanyeol said with a sigh.

Ji Eun looked at him with a furrowed brow. “What makes you say that then?”

“I’ve been into a relationship remember?” He said in a matter of fact tone. There’s a part of him that was surprised because for the first time, he thinks that his relationship with Minah is no big deal. But of course, a larger part of him wasn’t still cured from the hurt he earned from loving her.

“Yeah I remember but that doesn’t mean that my story with Luhan will be like yours.” Ji Eun pointed out, trying to defend herself.

“Whatever Ji Eun, but I tell you, don’t get yourself so attached to a person you like because in the end, you’ll be hurt. The more you attached yourself to someone, the more you’ll be hurt.” 

Chanyeol said.

“It’s kind of dangerous too because you’re not sure if your feelings are the same as Luhan.” He added.

Ji Eun clicked her tongue even though she realized that he has a point. She was about to reply when Soo Ri emerged from the door. “I made some homemade biscuits.”

“Yes!” Chanyeol said as he pumped his fist in the air and quickly went inside.

Ji Eun smiled at Soo Ri and stood up before proceeding in the dining room with Soo Ri.

Suzy and Chanyeol were already settled around the dining table as they savor the taste of the biscuits that Soo Ri made. “I missed this!”

Ji Eun took a seat beside Suzy and reached for a biscuit.

Soo Ri clasped her hands together and looked at the three teenagers who’s busy munching.

“Okay I have an announcement.”

The three of them spun around and looked at Soo Ri, giving her a questioning look.

“I’ll be away for two days. We are so busy in the hospital.” Soo Ri said, earning a surprised look from Ji Eun. Suzy and Chanyeol didn’t mind though because they already get used to it and besides, she’s a doctor that’s why this kind of event is already usual.

“I’ll be back by Monday afternoon so I guess you’ll ride your bike to go to school.” Soo Ri replied.

Ji Eun nodded at her explanation and proceeded to eat another biscuit.

“Chanyeol is in charge and I already left some money.” Soo Ri added.

The three of them nodded in understanding and focused their attention on eating.

 

~:~

 

When Saturday finally came, Ji Eun and Suzy were cleaning the living room. Ji Eun was wiping the figurines on the shelves while Suzy mopped the floor.

“Where’s Chanyeol?” Ji Eun questioned.

Suzy shrugged as she dipped the mop in a pail of water with soap. “He said he’ll buy some lunch and he mentioned something about a bookstore so I guess he’ll buy a book as well.”

Ji Eun nodded and continued her work.

Suzy looked at Ji Eun who’s busy wiping the figurines. She bit her lower lip and inhaled deeply. “Ji Eun?”

“Mm?” Ji Eun murmured, not even bothering to settle her eyes on Suzy.

“Will you come with me later?” Suzy asked.

Ji Eun wrinkled her brow and turned to look at Suzy, giving her a questioning look. “Where?”

“At the convenient store near the gate of this subdivision.” Suzy explained, with hopes that Ji Eun will agree.

Ji Eun smiled and held her thumbs up. “Alright!”

Suzy widened her eyes as her lips curled up. “Really? Thanks!”

“Wait, what’ll you buy?” Ji Eun asked out of curiosity.

Suzy pursed her lips. “Well…I’ll buy something for Kikwang…”

Hearing her reply, Ji Eun twitched her eyebrow. “Wait, who’s Kikwang?”

Suzy chuckled and continued to mop the floor. “He’s my…boyfriend.”

Her ears perked up as she widened her eyes. “Your what?!”

“Shh!” Suzy hushed while her cheeks were turning into crimson.

Ji Eun sat on the couch with a confused look. “I didn’t know you have a b…boyfriend.”

Suzy chuckled and settled herself beside Ji Eun. “That’s because we just became a couple yesterday.”

“Is he the crush you’re talking about?” Ji Eun asked.

Suzy smiled and shook her head. “Nope, that’s just a crush anyway. Kikwang is a junior like me. He’s in Section B.”

“Ohh…Wait, how come you already have a love story while I still haven’t. Unfair!” Ji Eun shouted and made a pout.

Suzy chuckled and patted her shoulder. “I guess you still have to wait then. Anyway, you’ll come with me later okay?”

Ji Eun vehemently nodded with a smile and gave Suzy a wink. “Alright!”

 “Thanks Ji Eun!” Suzy said and continued her work.

Chanyeol clicked the doorbell while beads of sweat were rolling on his forehead since the sun is somehow unfriendly this time. His eyes were squinted while his head was feeling this throbbing pain. Suzy was the one who opened the gate and took the plastic he’s holding.

“Lunch time!” Suzy shouted as she ran towards the kitchen and quickly prepared some plates on the table.

“Hi Chanyeol!” Ji Eun greeted as she finished wiping the last figurine. Chanyeol gave her a nod and proceeded to the kitchen to get something to drink.

 

~:~

 

The sky was replaced by a cooling purple veil and the sun was finally nowhere to be seen as the evening passed smoothly. Ji Eun grabbed a red jacket from her closet and quickly went downstairs and saw Suzy waiting for her while she was seated on the couch along with Chanyeol.

“Let’s go?” Suzy asked, tying her hair.

Ji Eun nodded with a smile. “Let’s go,”

Chanyeol wrinkled his brow and looked at Suzy who just stood up from her seat. “Where are you guys going?”

Suzy widened her eyes. “Well…uhh…we’ll just buy something.”

“Be quick.” Chanyeol ordered.

Suzy vehemently nodded before going outside together with Ji Eun.

“Chanyeol doesn’t know about you and Kikwang?” Ji Eun questioned, kicking a pebble on the ground.

Suzy pursed her lips and nodded. “I’ll tell it to him later I guess.”

“Glittering fairies…it’s so unexpected.” Ji Eun murmured, putting her hands inside the pocket of her red jacket.

Suzy shrugged and looked at the road ahead of them. “Yeah, but he likes me and I like him too so…yeah.”

Hearing her words, Ji Eun pouted. “How did you know he likes you?”

“He told me he liked me. And then he asked if I could go out with him.” Suzy replied, feeling the burning of her cheeks as she recalled the events that happened between her and Kikwang.

“Mine is so complicated…” Ji Eun said before sighing, making Suzy pat her shoulders.

When the two of them finally reached the store, Suzy quickly went to the section where cute stuffs can be seen.

“Now what shall I buy…” Suzy murmured, tapping her fingers on her chin.

Ji Eun didn’t give an advice since she’s busy scanning the shelves with sparkling eyes.

Suzy’s eyes widened. “I know! A keychain for couples!”

Ji Eun cocked her head to the side and gave her a questioning look. “Huh?”

Suzy chuckled and looked at the keychains. “Here,”

Ji Eun went beside Suzy and looked at the countless cute keychains. “Ohh…but what? There’s so many.”

“Okay, I’ll choose…” Suzy said, having a hard time looking at every keychain.

Ji Eun heaved her shoulders and went to the other shelves, scanning some other stuff.

Her gaze somehow averted to the glassed windows and there, she saw a boy walking.

It wasn’t just another boy because that boy has a golden hair. Her heart quickly beats while feeling unexplainable electrics running through her veins. “L-Luhan?”

When the boy was finally nowhere to be seen, she widened her eyes and quickly went outside, leaving Suzy.

There are a lot of people outside and it was hard for her to determine him again. She looked to her left and saw no sign of him but when she looked to her right, she saw him again, a few distance away from her.

She inhaled deeply and quickly walked, hoping that she’ll not lose him.

It became hard for her since there was a crowd and there are times that he’ll be gone, making her turn to another direction as much as possible. She wants to see him and maybe somehow, she’ll be able to talk to him that’s why she’s trying her best to look for him.

Suzy’s eyes glimmered when she finally saw the perfect keychain to buy. “Okay, I’ll take this then.”

“Hey Ji—“

When she spun around, Suzy wrinkled her brow for not seeing Ji Eun beside her. She walked around while her head was turning right and left, looking for Ji Eun.

“Ji Eun?”

After realizing that Ji Eun isn’t inside the store anymore, nervousness and fear entered Suzy and quickly went outside after leaving the keychain on the shelf again. “Ji Eun?”

A lot of people walked pass her and she saw no sign of her. *Wait, does she know the way here?!*

After a minute of searching, she sat on the bench and fished out her phone from her pocket while her eyes were becoming watery at the moment.

 

~:~

 

Chanyeol was reading a book entitled ‘The Giver’ by Lois Lowry that he just purchased from the bookstore when he bought some lunch.

He was anticipating the chapter when his phone suddenly vibrated. He looked at it and realized that it was his friend, Baekhyun. He sighed in frustration and answered it at the third ring. “What?”

“Hey dude wanna come with us?” Baekhyun asked.

“Where?”

“There’s a party at Sehun’s house. A Section B student.” Baekhyun replied.

He rolled his eyes. “No thank you. I’m seriously busy.”

“Too bad. Oh well, I guess you wouldn’t come since Luhan’s there ‘cause he’s Sehun’s cousin.”

“That’s a reason too and besides, I don’t want to. Bye.” Chanyeol said, mentally scolding Baekhyun for interrupting him from reading a wonderful book.

He put back his phone inside his pocket and continued to read the book with so much anticipation when his phone started to ring again. He grunted and put the book beside him, getting his phone.

He looked at the caller and realized that it was Suzy. “Eish. You really know how to call at an ungodly hour.”

With a furrowed brow, he answered. “What?!”

He heard Suzy sniff on the other line. “Chanyeol…”

Chanyeol rolled his eyes and stayed quiet as Suzy continued.

“Ji Eun…Ji Eun is missing.”

Hearing her words, Chanyeol’s ears perked up and told her to continue.

“I was buying s-something and then when I turned around, she’s nowhere to be seen. I looked around b-but I didn’t saw her. She d-doesn’t know the way here.”

Chanyeol shut his eyes with complete frustration. “Where are you?!”

“I’m at the store near the gate of our subdivision.” Suzy replied while her lips were trembling.

“Stay there,” Chanyeol ordered and quickly ran outside, without even bothering to get a jacket.

His feet became numb from running while his mind was in jeopardy. He knew that Ji Eun doesn’t know anything especially when it comes to places since she doesn’t stroll around anywhere and it seems like she only knows the way to school. And for heaven’s sake, Ji Eun is not from this world!!!

He was mentally cursing Ji Eun for being so stubborn and being missing at an evening. It’ll be hard for him since the sun wasn’t there to help him look for her so he needs to sharpen his eyes.

“Chanyeol!” Suzy quickly stood up and ran towards him.

“She still hasn’t come back yet?” He asked, catching his breath for too much running.

Tears were forming on the corner of Suzy’s eyes as she shook her head. “I’m sorry…it’s my fault.”

Chanyeol shook his head and held Suzy’s arms. “No it’s not. Just stay here okay? I’ll look for her.”

Suzy sniffed and gave him a nod. She looked at Chanyeol who settled his eyes on the street with a sigh.

He patted Suzy’s shoulder and walked away with speed.

 

~:~

 

Ji Eun lost track of him so she decided to run, not even aware that there were no people in that area because what’s just roaming in her mind is to find him.

To find Luhan…

Luhan…

She continued to run until she tripped over. Waking her up from the world she created for chasing him.

“Ouch!” She whimpered and saw a scar on her left knee. Tears started to form on her eyes when she heard a growl. Ji Eun flinched and looked to her right, giving her a reason to gasp.

There was a dog...

A big and cute dog…

A dog with scary eyes…

A dog who was walking towards her…with an angry face.

Wait…what?!

Because of the adrenaline she’s feeling inside, she suddenly forgot the scar on her knee and she quickly stood up and started to run, not even knowing where to go.

The dog started to chase her and Ji Eun was trying her best to run. “AHHHH!”

The unknown streets were dark and the only source of light was the streetlamp. 

There was no sign of people in that area and that even scared Ji Eun more plus the crazy dog that’s chasing her.

 

~:~

 

Chanyeol rested his hands on his knees as he tried to catch his breath. *Where is she?!*

He was scanning every people and was hoping to see a girl with long black hair who’s wearing a red jacket but much to his disappointment, he didn’t see her.

Chanyeol started to run until he reached another subdivision.

The streets were silent and he could feel the cold wind wrapped around him, making him shiver.

With a worried face, he continued to run and looked for her.

After a few minutes, he heard something.

A familiar voice…

He widened his eyes and quickly spun around. He knew that she’s here.

After brisk walking for seconds, he caught a glimpse of her, running. He widened his eyes after his realization. “Ji Eun?!”

He quickly ran and started to follow her, but much to his frustration, there was a dog chasing her but since he knows this subdivision, there are shortcuts and corners that are familiar to him. He gathered a lot of medium rocks and stopped himself, scanning the area. His eyes glimmered when he saw an opening between two houses. He quickly ran towards it, hiding himself behind the wall. He knew that after a few seconds, Ji Eun will run pass in front of him. He cocked his head to the side and already saw her running.

He readied himself and when Ji Eun was about to run pass him, he quickly grabbed her arm with speed. Chanyeol started to threw rocks at the stray dog even though he felt bad for hurting it but he got to do this to rescue this naïve girl. After throwing five medium rocks, the dog whimpered and started to run away from them.

When Ji Eun realized that it was Chanyeol, she quickly wrapped her arms around him tightly while shivering and fear was written all over her face, making Chanyeol surprised.

He told himself that he’ll scold her right after he found her but this time, worry and pity was roaming inside him towards Ji Eun. He could feel her whole body shivering while she wrapped her arms around him. She hugged him tightly and he knew that she was scared.

He hugged her back and started to hear Ji Eun’s cry.

He felt himself flinched. That’s what he hate the most…witnessing girls cry is one of his weaknesses.

Chanyeol patted her back, ignoring the cold wind while hearing her cry. Since he’s just wearing a thin shirt, he felt the chest area getting soaked because of her tears.

He gently brushed her hair, telling her that she’s already okay…again and again.

It took a while for her to stop and when she finally let go of Chanyeol, she wiped her eyes using the back of her hands as she sniffed.

“Why did you go here?” Chanyeol asked in full anxiety.

She inhaled deeply and held his gaze. “I was looking for Luhan…”

Hearing her reply, Chanyeol sighed in deep frustration and he wanted to slap her and tell her that she’s just hurting herself for someone who doesn’t even care at her.

Chanyeol somehow wished that Luhan should be here to see how Ji Eun likes him but of course, it’s impossible. “He’s at Sehun’s party…how could he be here?”

She gulped heavily as her lips trembled. “B-but I saw him…”

Chanyeol wanted to scream at her and tell her to think for herself but how? She’s currently scared at the moment and it would be inappropriate for him to do that. So he gave up and lowered his pride while the word ‘care’ conquered him. “Maybe it’s just a guy who looks like him.”

Ji Eun shook her head. “No, I’m sure it’s him. The boy’s hair was gold…”

Chanyeol inhaled deeply and held her arms. “Ji Eun. He’s not the only boy who has blonde hair. Get a hold of yourself.”

Ji Eun bit her lower lip and looked at the ground, realizing that he has a point.

He let go of her arms and saw how naïve and innocent she is. Fear flooded her eyes and it seems like her cheery face left her. He sighed and fished out his phone from his pocket and called Suzy.

“Chanyeol?”

“I already saw her.”

“Real—“

“Go home now. You know where I hid the key right?”

“Ye—“

“Go. Bye.”

He returned it inside his pocket. “Let’s go now.”

Ji Eun nodded but suddenly whimpered, remembering her scar. Now that the adrenaline left her, she felt the pain again. She pursed her lips and stopped herself from crying again. “I…c-can’t walk.”

Hearing her words, Chanyeol gave her a questioning look.

“There’s a scar on my knee. It h-hurts.” Ji Eun added.

He widened his eyes and bended, looking at her knees, discovering the scar on the left.

*Eish. You’ve felt so much pain for one night.*

Chanyeol ruffled his hair and looked at Ji Eun. “You’re so careless.”

Ji eun just stayed quiet when Chanyeol turned around and bended in front of her. “Here, I’ll piggyback you.”

She stayed to where she’s standing, seeing how frustrated Chanyeol was. “C’mon…”

Ji Eun inhaled deeply and did what he said.

He wrapped his arms at the back of her knees while her arms were around his neck.

Chanyeol started to walk and looked at the road ahead of them. This is not the time to correct and scold Ji Eun because he knew that this time, she needs some care.

“Sorry…” Ji Eun suddenly mumbled out of the blue.

Chanyeol smiled as he walked. “It’s okay.”

“I’m such a nincompoop huh? I deserve this…because of the things I did in my world.”

Chanyeol clicked his tongue. “C’mon, of course not.”

He heard her sigh and felt it brushed his neck. “I hope so…”

“You know…why don’t you try to stop thinking too much about Luhan. Because of him, look at what happened to you right now.” Chanyeol pointed out.

Ji Eun sighed and rested her head on his shoulder.

They stayed like that on their way home until Ji Eun slept on that position because of so much tiredness.

Suzy quickly opened the gate with so much worry and when they finally went inside, Chanyeol carefully laid her on the couch.

“Where did you see her?” Suzy asked, completely relieved at the fact that he already found her.

“One of the streets of the second subdivision,” Chanyeol replied.

“Don’t tell this to mom okay?” He added.

Suzy nodded and went upstairs after deciding to take a night bath.

Chanyeol stood up and opened the cabinet where the first aid kit was placed.

He grabbed it and went back in the living room.

Chanyeol sat on the floor beside her and took out a betadine together with a cotton and band aid.

He carefully wiped her scar for a minute and he would quickly stop whenever Ji Eun would move.

After that, he opened the band aid and plastered it on top of her scar.

When he finally finished, he cleaned the used cottons and put back the kit inside the cabinet.

He looked at the time and realized that it was already ten o’clock in the evening. He sighed and decided to carefully carry Ji Eun.

Chanyeol went upstairs and much to his relief, the door of her room was already open. He heard the ripples of shower in the bathroom, telling him that Suzy is still there so he went inside the room and gently placed Ji Eun on her bed. With a sigh, he looked at her face and got to admit that she’s beautiful but tonight, her face was written with distress.

His lips curled up into a smile before proceeding outside.

He went back to the living room and settled himself on one of the couches where his book was placed.

He grabbed it and started to read it again.

Chanyeol was trying his best to focus his attention on his book but he can’t…he was thinking about Luhan and how much he wanted to punch him on the face. *Luhan, you’re one heck of a lucky guy.*