A Cup of Courage

The Peculiar Girl

It was Saturday and the sun was still not peeking when Ji Eun was awakened by a sound of whimper.

She scrunched her brow as she slowly sat up while yawning. 

When her vision became finally clear, she widened her eyes upon seeing Suzy sitting on the other side of the bed while crying.

"Suzy? Why are you crying?!" Ji Eun gasped as she gently patted the girl's back.

"Ch-chanyeol..." Suzy sniffed.

"Chanyeol? What happened to Chanyeol?"

Suzy wiped her tears using the back of her hands. "He's leaving."

"What?!"

 

After hearing Suzy's statement, Ji Eun quickly went downstairs and was surprised to see Chanyeol sitting on the couch with a big bag.

The both of them met gazes and the boy managed to smile.

"Good morning,"

"Good morning? Good morning?!" Ji Eun exclaimed. "How could you say that this is a good morning?!"

Chanyeol blinked. "B-bad morning, then?"

"Why are you leaving? Where?" Ji Eun questioned with a defensive look.

Hearing her words, the boy smiled. "Ah, yes, I am leaving."

"I talked to my mom." He continued. "And I decided to live with her."

Ji Eun was about to say something when Suzy appeared. "Chanyeol! You can't leave!"

"Look, Suzy, you're being unbelievable right now. Mom's house is just near. You'll only take a bus ride to reach me for goodness sake!"

Hearing his words, Ji Eun blinked after realizing that she overreacted.

"But!" Suzy shouted and crossed her arms defiantly.

"We'll still see each other." Chanyeol rolled his eyes. "It's not like I'll never come back. Duhh."

"So what did your mom say?" Ji Eun asked out of nowhere.

"She was happy about it of course." Chanyeol responded. "I wanted to spend the spring season with her. There's a lot of catching up we need to do."

Ji Eun managed to smile although there was a part of her that seemed sad. "Well that's great."

"Thank you," Chanyeol said, "for letting me realize that no matter what happened, she's still my mom."

"It's nothing, really." Ji Eun shrugged. A little enlightened after knowing that she somehow helped him.

 

Chanyeol left during the afternoon and they had to admit that the house kind of became quiet because of the fact that the boy with a wide grin was finally nowhere to be seen.

Suzy continued to complain while Soo Ri did her best to make her daughter understand.

Ji Eun watched the both of them with a sad smile. She knew it was hard for Suzy because she already considered Chanyeol as her real brother.

But it was for Chanyeol's own good. She knew that somewhere behind his facade, there's a part of him that's longing for a mother's love.

Seeing those things happened before her eyes, Ji Eun suddenly missed her mother.

 

~:~

 

During their first day to go to school without Chanyeol in the car, Suzy was gloomy along with Ji Eun. Maybe because of the fact that their source of fun was finally gone.

The day got even worse when Ji Eun realized that he didn't go to school. She was hoping he will send a message that he's alright but ever since he went away, she didn't receive any news about him. 

When it was finally break time, Ji Eun stopped from her tracks upon seeing Minah outside the door of their classroom.

It made her sick to her stomach that's why in the end, she requested Myungsoo if he could be there for her at the time being.

The both of them settled at a table after getting their desired orders. 

"You look so down today." Myungsoo pointed out after placing the straw on the cup's lid.

Ji Eun shrugged. "You think so?"

"Yeah," the boy said in an obvious tone, "is it because of Minah?"

"Huh?"

"I saw her a while ago sticking around Luhan like a glue." Myungsoo informed and shook his head.

Hearing his words, Ji Eun looked away. "So what? I don't care."

"Oh reaaaally," Myungsoo mumbled with a teasing tone which earned a slap on the arm from Ji Eun.

"Hey Suzy!" Ji Eun exclaimed, shrugging the topic away.

The younger one greeted the both of them and took a seat across them.

"Greetings," Suzy mumbled and gloomily took out her phone. 

"This girl looks sad too." Myungsoo said, earning a look from Suzy. He smiled at her while she just shrugged.

"Did he go to school today?" Suzy questioned Ji Eun who was currently busy nibbling a cookie.

Ji Eun shook her head. "Sorry, he didn't."

They savored their foods quietly and just before silence could totally eat them up, Ji Eun suddenly remembered something.

"Oh, there's only two weeks to go before spring break." She pointed out. "Myungsoo, when's your leave?"

Hearing her question, Suzy's ears suddenly perked up. "You're leaving too?! Geez, why do people leave these past few days?!"

The two was kind of surprised at her sudden outburst which caused Suzy to give an awkward laugh. "He.he.he. so uhhh...where are you going?"

"I'm going to study abroad."

After his reply, Suzy choked and started to cough. Ji Eun was about to help her but the girl managed herself.

"Abroad?! Are you freakin' out of your mind?!" Suzy burst but then, she blinked. "Uhh...why?"

Myungsoo weirdly looked at her. "Well I wa--"

"Oh it's okay," Suzy cut, "just disregard my question."

When the bell finally rang, Suzy went back to her room with a more dejected soul.

Ji Eun informed Myungsoo to go first because she still need to gather her books from her locker.

The hallway was nearly empty when Ji Eun arrived.

After eagerly unlocking it, she started go pick the specific books that she needed.

"So how're you doing?"

Ji Eun almost gasped and when she turned around, she was surprised to see Minah.

Minah stood before her. "I mean, I know you're having a hard time. Luhan just broke up with you, right?"

"Cut it out, Minah." Ji Eun muttered. "I'm not in the business of being dejected because of the past."

Hearing her statement, the girl chuckled. "You're afraid aren't you?"

Ji Eun sharpened her eyes. "Huh?"

"Luhan and I might go back together." Minah said, curling some strands of her hair. "He still loves me."

Feeling the boiling of blood in her nerves, Ji Eun closed her locker with a loud bang.

"Looks like someone's pissed." Minah muttered and before Ji Eun could give any word, she walked away which annoyed Ji Eun so much that she could almost imagine herself throwing her books to her.

The latter just stood there and realized that her vision was getting blury. Before she could let her tears roll, she quickly wiped it away using her hands.

Taking in a deep breath, she walked away.

 

*If only Chanyeol's here, he'll lessen the pain.*

 

~:~

 

Her wish didn't come true immediately though. Chanyeol didn't go to school again for the next two days which definitely dissapointed her as well as Suzy.

They brought their complaints to Soo Ri but the older one said that they should give him some time.

There aren't any classes that day when Suzy baked a couple of cookies.

She gently placed it inside a blue box and complimented it with a black checkered ribbon.

"Hey mom," Suzy called, "I'll just give something to a friend of mine. I'll be back quickly." 

After receiving her mother's permission, Suzy settled her bike outside.

The clouds were thin and grey, beckoning a drizzle so she decided to put on her coat.

She settled her yellow knitted bag on the basket and strode off.

The latter tried to empty her mind just so she could remember the right directions and luckily, she did. The sky started to release tiny drops and the drizzle started but Suzy didn't mind even the wet road.

 

Myungsoo was just idly plucking his guitar after he had done his schoolworks and as he boringly counted the tears-like stain on the window, the door bell rang.

His maid was about to get it but Myungsoo volunteered. 

However, he was completely stunned after seeing Suzy with a cheery face.

"Hey!" Suzy greeted after giving a quick bow.

With a curled brow, Myungsoo gave her a questioning look. "H-hey? Uhh what brought you here?"

The girl removed her coat's hood. "Oh yeah, I just want to give you something."

"Me?"

Suzy nodded as a matter of factly. She tool her bag from the basket and started to rummage inside while Myungsoo, on the other hand, noticed the drops of drizzle on her coat.

"Here," she reached out the box to him and the boy hesitantly took it. "I made that for you."

"Oh, thanks," Myungsoo said, "how did you get here? I mean, how did you know my address?"

Suzy grinned and gave a shrug. "Can't tell you that."

Myungsoo gave her a scrutinizing look but in the end, he just nodded. "Okay then, thanks agai--"

"Are you really leaving?" She cuts.

"Yeah, dad already sort out my schedule. Why?" 

Hearing his response, Suzy pursed her lips as she settled her gaze on the ground. "Nothing. Well, I guess I'll go now."

When she turned around, Myungsoo cocked his head to the side, quitely wondering how the mind of this girl works.

"Hey," He called, "you could come inside first if you want." 

Suzy vehemently shook her head. "You could be a murderer so...no thanks. I'm good."

Myungsoo huffed at her statement. "Geez, well at least I have to offer you something because of what you gave me."

"How about," Suzy answered, "you treat me to the nearest tea shop here in your area. The weather's nice for a cup of tea."

Myungsoo nodded. "Deal,"

 

After a couple of minutes, they found themselves settled on the table that was beside the window. The drizzle finally stopped, leaving the streets damp along with a cold breeze.

"What will you study there?" Suzy questioned while they're waiting for their orders.

"Law," 

"Wow," she remarked, "pretty neat,"

"How about you? You'll be a senior next year. Do you already have plans for college?'

Suzy shrugged. "I want to pursue what I love to do. Unfortunately, I'm still finding my passion."

"Really?"

"Yeah, but I'm thinking of being a doctor just like my mom." She replied just before the waiter approached them to give their teas and breads.

As the both of them savored it, Suzy fought the stillness that was slowly engulfing the both of them. "I was kind of sad."

"Hm?"

"When I heard about you leaving." 

Hearing her statement, Myungsoo raised his brow. "You? You were sad?"

"Yeah," Suzy nodded and after seeing his surprised face, the latter sighed. "You seriously have no idea how awesomely attractive you are, do you?"

Myungsoo blinked, quite astounded. 

"See? You don't. That's why you just typically go to school and walk around without even knowing that somewhere, someone's looking at you as an inspiration. Mr. Myungsoo, based on my observation, you are totally a guy who cluelessly spends the day without even realizing that someone wants to get your attention yet in your eyes, she is completely enveloped by obscurity." 

After her sudden bustle of words, Myungsoo chuckled. "She?"

The girl frowned at his single comment. "Look, it's me, okay? Geez, you really are too unprecedented."

Myungsoo smirked. "Well you really are blatant."

"People say it's a fatal flaw of mine but I consider it as an ability."

"Ms. Suzy, if you mean that confessing your infatuation to someone face to face as an ability, then yes, I'll agree."

Suzy chuckled. "I'm grateful to have this ability then. Because without it, I wouldn't be able to sit here in front of you right now."

After taking a sip from his tea, Myungsoo smiled. "Your box of emotions is widely open that even I, could see it."

"I'll close it, don't worry. When you finally leave, I'll close it." She replied. "I just opened it because I don't want to have any regrets when you already graduated."

"Brave," Myungsoo remarked which lead to another conversation.

 

The both of them decided to walk back in his house while Suzy just held her bike.

"Have a wonderful journey, Mr. Myungsoo." Suzy said.

"You too, Suzy." He responded. "Thank you by the way. For being open and stuff."

The girl laughed. "Ha. I guess I finally left a mark in you."

"Hm?"

"One day, you'll look back, and remember your encounter with an open box of emotions."

The boy rolled his eyes as they continued to walk.

"But hey, I didn't confess because I want you to like me back. I just want you to know my admiration. I'm not expecting anything back."

"Then thanks for letting me know." Myungsoo said, "I wish I have that attitude of yours. You see, I'm one of the billions of people who admires while expecting to be admired back by a certain person."

"Ah," Suzy nodded, "being like that is painful and it so I prefer the opposite."

They finally reached the front of his house when Myungsoo gave her a look out of curiosity. He fished out his phone and gave it to her. "Do you have an email? We could mail each other when I'm already there."

"We'll email each other huh. Why?" Suzy asked as she typed.

Myungsoo shrugged. "Nothing. It's just nice talking with you."

"You found our conversation nice and you want to enlarge it more despite the distance?"

"Yeah, at least when I'm already in the US, I still have an interesting person to talk to."

"Be careful then," Suzy returned his phone and settled herself on her bike. "You might fall for me."

Receiving a wink from her, Myungsoo huffed in disbelief. "You're unbelievable."

"I know but take my advice." Suzy replied. "Who knows, maybe eight or ten years from now, we might be exchanging vows."

 

~:~

 

It was already their final exams before spring break. Ji Eun managed to take her reviewing seriously although she admitted to herself that it was hard to understand especially if Chanyeol's not beside her to be her tutor.

When she and Suzy finally went out of Soo Ri's car, they bade their goodbyes.

"Be great on the first day of Finals!" Suzy cheered to Ji Eun as the both of them walked towards the school's gate.

"You too!" Ji Eun exclaimed and stopped from her tracks upon seeing Luhan standing in front of her.

Suzy was about to say something but Ji Eun managed to hold her back.

"You should go now. I'm okay." Ji Eun said and nodded at the girl.

Suzy hesitated but in the end, she agreed and walked away.

With a deep breath, Ji Eun settled her eyes on Luhan. "What?"

"I want to talk to you." 

"We're already talking." 

"Look, Ji Eun," Luhan sighed, "I'm really sorry. I kno--"

"Finally, you apologized for playing with my emotions."

"What? No. Listen to me, Ji Eun." He held her wrist.

"It's true anyway, right? You took me out on dates and you even bought me stuffs out of pretention." She defended, feeling the sudden numbness of her heart.

"Please, just let me explain." Luhan mumbled, quiet surprised that his heart was somehow shrivelling because of her words. 

"How?" Ji Eun choked. "How will I manage to let you if I knew that every word you said wasn't real?" 

The boy was about to say something yet she stopped him. 

"And you know what hurts, Luhan?" She sniffed without even caring that tears already fell from her eyes. "Was the fact that your 'I love you' was out of pretention."

Luhan wanted to defend himself yet not even a single word manage to get out inside him that's why in the end, he just watched her shrug away his hand from her wrist and walk away.

Ji Eun reached inside her pocket only to realize that she forgot her handkerchief. 

As she mutterrd incoherent words, someone suddenly walked beside her with the same pace.

 

"Quite strength you got there eh?" 

 

Ji Eun almost gasped and after realizing who it was, she was overwhelmed.

 

"Chanyeol!" She exclaimed, surprised at his sudden existence.

The boy grinned and handed her a hankie. "How ya doing, girly? What's with the tears? Still a whimp?"

Ji Eun just stared at his familiar face. "Where have you been? You've been away for like a week."

"Mom and I went to Busan to meet some of our relatives." He replied. "It was fun."

"I had a hard time conquering pain." She said and wiped her wet cheeks.

Hearing his statement, Chanyeol's smile disappeared. "I'm sorry."

"It's alright. It's not your job to be there for me always." Ji Eun mumbled as the both of them started to walk. 

"But I love to have that job."

Hearing his statement, Ji Eun stopped walking. "What?"

"What?" Chanyeol awkwardly laughed.

"Whatever," Ji Eun rolled her eyes. "It's great to have you back."

"How's my little Suzy?" 

"She's been dejected for days." The girl responded. "You should see her later."

"I definitely will." He nodded. "How about you? How's your petite heart?"

Ji Eun pursed her lips after receiving his question. "It finally learned something."

"What did it learn?"

"It learned to let go."

 

After that statement roamed around, they both smiled.

  

  ~:~

 

Ji Eun went home first after knowing that Suzy and Chanyeol will hang out for a while.

Much to her surprise, Soo Ri was already there.

"You're here too early." Ji Eun said after giving a quick bow.

The older one gave her an interesting smile.

"I have good news for you, dear."

"Really? What is it?"

"Go to the yard." Soo Ri explained and Ji Eun obeyingly did.

 

After reaching her destination, she was completely astonished.

 

The flower already bloomed.


FindingSunshine 2014|05|08