Words between Cherry Blossoms

The Peculiar Girl

Everything went well for Ji Eun although she cannot deny the fact that she's scared of what's to come.

The Finals was already done and spring break has finally come except for the seniors because after a week, they'll have rehearsals for their graduation day.

It was already the third day of spring break.

It was Saturday and Ji Eun was at the balcony, staring relentlessly at the beauty of how nature designed everything. It was as if she was gazing at a colorful canvas. The trees were shimmering as they basked in the sun in an almost cheerful abandon with a gentle breeze as a compliment.

Ji Eun already fixed herself a few hours ago and to kill some time, she decided to stay at the balcony to think. But to put in a correct way, she went there to reminisce.

As she let herself get drowned in her sea of thoughts, Suzy went out with two boxes of orange juice.

"Hey," Suzy greeted as her eyes turned into crescent moons.

Ji Eun smiled and reached for the other juice as Suzy sat across her.

"Are you going somewhere?"

"Yup," Ji Eun nodded.

Cocking her head to the side, Suzy opened her orange juice. "Where?"

"Actually," Ji Eun replied, "Chanyeol and I are going somewhere."

Hearing her response, Suzy almost choked herself. "What? You and Chanyeol?"

"Uhh...yeah."

"Where are you going? He didn't even invite me?" Suzy pouted.

"I was the one who invited him but he somehow changed the perspective and claimed that it will be a date."

After Ji Eun's explanation, Suzy blinked and tried to laugh. "A date?"

Seeing Suzy's reaction, Ji Eun nodded.

"Eish. That boy." Suzy shook her head along with a chuckle.

Amidst their conversation, the doorbell rang.

"Oh I think he's here already." 

Ji Eun was about to stand up when Suzy stopped her. "Stay here. I'll open it."

Chanyeol unknowingly cleared his throat and when the gate finally opened, he quickly plastered a grin only to find Suzy who's giving him a sly smile.

"So," Suzy said in an exaggerated tone. "I heard you want to take Ji Eun on a date?"

Chanyeol unknowingly scratched his head. "Well...it's jus--"

Suzy suddenly took a step towards him and stared straightly to his eyes. "Say it, Chanyeol."

"Look, we'll just spend some time together."

"Together?" Suzy mocked, "maybe you mean, a date?"

Chanyeol rolled his eyes and before he could say something, Suzy pointed a finger at him.

"Hey, you," she said, "you like Ji Eun, do you?"

Chanyeol slapped her finger away and pushed her aside so he could enter.

Ji Eun just got out of the house after getting her bag. "Hey, you're here."

"Obviously," Chanyeol rolled his eyes although he cannot deny the fact that he felt conscious all of a sudden after being near her again.

When the both of them went out of the gate, Chanyeol looked back only to see Suzy who was raising on her eyebrows and mouthed, 'I am watching you'.

The boy just shrugged her away and continued to walk beside Ji Eun.

"So where are we going?" She asked.

"Did you already take your lunch?" 

Ji Eun shook her head. "Not yet"

"Well then, let's eat first."

~:~

Ji Eun found the both of them inside a cozy restaurant. It radiated a calm atmosphere especially because of its design. Everything was in sepia which caused every customer to feel as if they were going back to the 60's.

"Wow," Ji Eun remarked as she took a seat after ordering.

Chanyeol placed his elbows on the wooden table and gave her a look out of curiosity.

"You're unaware that you changed, do you?"

"I guess so?" Ji Eun creased her forehead. "Can you give an example."

"Your expressions," he pointed out, "the first time I saw you, you're like, 'oh countless trolls!' and now, you're just like that, 'wow'."

It took a moment for her to process what he had just said but when she finally did, Ji Eun widened her eyes. "You're absolutely right!"

The boy nodded in confidence while she kept looking around.

"This place is great." She remarked.

Hearing her words, his eyes somehow sparkled. "You like it?"

"Yeah, I really do."

"It's a relief then," Chanyeol winked.

"I've never been here before." She said and looked at the wooden shelf that was packed with books behind Chanyeol.

"I've been here countless times." 

"And you didn't even recommend this to me." Ji Eun sneered.

"Because," he reasoned, "this is my safe haven. I dislike recommending to people the places that I cherish. I'm selfish in that way."

Ji Eun huffed at his explanation. She never knew that he has this side. "Places? So you mean you have a lot of safe haven?"

"Yeah," Chanyeol nodded, "Four to be exact."

"That is quite many."

"I don't mind." He shrugged. "The world is such a dangerous place. It's okay to have a lot of shelters."

Ji Eun smiled. "I'm having trouble finding mine."

"Keep searching, then."

The girl chuckled, amused at his words.

"I discovered this place when I was fifteen." He shared. "When it comes to reading, this is my haven." 

"Ahh," She nodded, "I forgot that you like books."

"I don't like them, I love them." 

Ji Eun rolled her eyes. "Yeah whatever...what's your most favorite book?"

"I don't really know." He scratched his head. "But I do remember this certain book that made my heart ache."

"What is it, then?"

"The Little Prince," He replied and smiled after letting out his reply.

Ji Eun cocked her to the side. "I've never heard of it. The title sounds cute but why did it make your heart ache?"

"Because he left." 

"Uhm...okay? Where did he go?"

"Somewhere," he replied, "somewhere that is out of reach."

Ji Eun blinked and just before she could even make a word, their orders finally came.

After saying 'thank you' to the tall skinny girl that served as their waitress, Ji Eun looked at Chanyeol.

"You know what," she mumbled, "I just realized that we really do have a lot to talk about. I thought that this will be just a typical day."

"This is certainly not just an ordinary day." Chanyeol protested. "I told you, this is a date."

"For me, it isn't." She hissed.

"Consider it, please?" 

Seeing his humble expression, Ji Eun sighed. "Alright, but hey, I just agreed because you've been good to me."

"Yeah yeah," Chanyeol nodded and took a sip from his tea while Ji Eun fixed her eyes on him.

"You know, Suzy told me that dates are for people who have feelings for each other."

"So what are you trying to say?"

"Nothing, this is just a friendly date, right? We clearly don't have feelings for each other." Ji Eun looked away, she somehow felt awkward after saying those words.

Chanyeol gave a forced smile and quietly mumbled, "who knows..."

 

~:~

 

After a while of savoring the delicacies, the both of them stood up to leave.

"So where are we going next?" Ji Eun asked.

Chanyeol gave an excited grin and suddenly put his arm on her shoulders, pulling her near him. "To my next haven."

They both rode a bus which took them thirty minutes to reach their destination.

After getting out, they walked side by side.

"So where exactly are we?" She asked as she kept on looking around.

"Just keep on walking and you'll see." 

"Anyway," Chanyeol continued, "do you like Spring?"

Ji Eun nodded. "Yes of course. How about you? Do you like spring?"

"I do. I really do." Chanyeol smiled and stopped, looking ahead, causing Ji Eun to do the same.

What happened next was a mixture of amazement and surprise.

Right in front of them was a sidewalk that was being crowded by bright cherry blossoms.

"It's Spring Festival." Chanyeol said.

Ji Eun let out a breath that somehow contained how overwhelmed she was. 

The latter was about to walk towards it when Chanyeol suddenly grabbed her arm.

"What?" She questioned.

"You know, I don't just pass this beautiful sidewalk idly." 

"What do you mean?" 

"Whenever I walk there, I'll pretend to be someone I'm not." He said. "I'll forget everything and create a new world out of pretention."

Cocking her head to the side, Ji Eun scrunched her brow.

"And that world will eventually fade when I finally reached the very last cherry blossom."

"You want me to do it too?" Ji Eun raised her eyebrows. "I'll create a world as I walk?"

Chanyeol chuckled at her questions and shook his head."Actually, no. I'm not saying that you should create. I just want you to join me in my world."

Just before Ji Eun could process his explanation completely, Chanyeol quickly drag her and with a swift move, he interlaced his fingers with hers, surprising Ji Eun.

"And I want us to pretend that we're a couple." He pointed out and squeezed her hand.

"H-hey," She stuttered right after they both started to walk between the cherry blossoms.

"This isn't fair!" Ji Eun protested as she removed her hand from him, causing Chanyeol to look at her.

She saw how his face was basked in bewilderment as she glared at him.

"What?" He cluelessly asked. "What's the matter, girlfriend?"

Teasing was evident in his tone and just before she could burst, Chanyeol hold her hand again. "You're acting weird, my Ji Eun."

Ji Eun glared at him as she saw how mockery basked his face but her irritation faded when her attention averted to the falling pink petals. There were a lot of them, really. They clothed the ground as if they were a large pink blanket.

"Wow," Ji Eun mumbled. "It's beautiful..."

They stopped for a while just to glance at the lake that was currently being covered by fallen petals. 

Ji Eun stretched out her hand, amazed by the view. 

Chanyeol, on the other hand, watched how happiness basked the girl's face. Seeing her like that was enough for him to smile.

They stayed like that for a long while but to Ji Eun, she was too occupied of what she's seeing that she even lost track of time.

"Hey," Chanyeol mumbled. "We still got a long way to go. We better start walking."

The girl nodded in agreement before they headed off.

 

~:~

 

There was silence that engulfed the both of them and while Ji Eun was glancing at the countless petals, Chanyeol focused his eyes on the ground.

"You know," he said, taking a deep breath. "The first time I saw you, I thought you were a pain in the ."

After hearing his statement, Ji Eun frowned and averted her eyes to him. A crooked smile was printed on his face.

"Darn, I was right. You truly are annoying."

"Hey watch your words!" Ji Eun hissed yet the boy continued.

"However, as time goes by, I was wrong. Behind that facade of yours, is a fragile heart full of gentleness. A lot of times, I ignored certain twinges inside me whenever you would be near me but the more I tried to keep myself together, the more I long for you."

Suddenly, the atmosphere between them changed drastically into eeriness and silence as if the both of them could almost hear their heartbeats. Ji Eun, though, stared at him. His words were surprising yet she listened because somehow, she wanted to know.

"At first, I convinced myself that I couldn't be falling for a girl like you. I mean, I find you pretty but I absolutely didn't expect that what I will feel about you will be more than that."

"Chanyeol," Ji Eun whispered, "what are you sa--"

"When I started to feel this weird twinge, I started to hate being near you.

I hate it whenever you will talk to me.

I hate it whenever you will smile at me.

I hate it whenever you say my name.

I hate it whenever you stand beside me." Chanyeol shut his eyes then looked at her. "You know why I hate it?"

"Uh--"

"Because I was a coward. I like to run away from the truth especially when it comes to matters of the heart."

Ji Eun was bewildered, lost in the abyss of his brown eyes. 

What is she witnessing? She thought to herself.

Who is this Chanyeol in front of her?

And most importantly, why is her heart beating fast as if it's excited to hear what he'll say next?

"But you know what, a few days ago, I was thinking and realized that no one will ever surpass your uniqueness. I thought that I should consider myself lucky because I encountered you." Chanyeol said, his voice was starting to slow down. "So, after mustering some courage, I told myself that I should not let you go because I finally saw what's hiding deep in my heart."

The girl blinked and before she could even process his statement, Chanyeol's hand held hers and what's surprising is that she didn't let go because somehow, she felt perfect.

"W-what is it?" She gulped. 

"Huh?" He asked as they walk, hand in hand.

"What's hiding deep in your heart?"

Chanyeol smiled but didn't give any reply.

She was waiting for him to say anything and as the silence between them lengthens, her heart rapidly beats.

"Chanyeol, what is it?"

They kept on walking when suddenly, Chanyeol let go of her hand and grinned.

"Alright! We're finished! Back to normal!"

Ji Eun scrunched her brow, not getting what he meant. "Huh?"

"We finally crossed those cherry blossoms."

Ji Eun looked back, realizing that they have reached the last tree. She gazed at the road ahead of them and at her empty hand.

"Oh right," She mumbled. "We're just playing a game."

Chanyeol grinned. "Great, isn't it? Come, let's go buy ourselves some drinks."

Ji Eun managed to force a smile, replaying in her mind what had happened a while ago...it felt so real.

His words,

His distant eyes,

The way he held her hand that made her feel so secured.

Everything.

Everything felt so real.

But it isn't.

 

~:~

 

It had been a long day and the both of them were finally settled on a bus.

Chanyeol was beside the window while the girl was at his left.

Although they somehow had fun, the both of them cannot deny that there was a pint of awkwardness because of what just happened.

The boy managed to act normal but Ji Eun had a hard time keeping her curiosity.

She was so lost in thoughts that she didn't even realize that she hasn't told him yet the very purpose why she want to talk with him.

"Chanyeol," She mumbled, uneasiness was creeping inside her.

Hearing his name, Chanyeol averted his eyes from the window and gave her a questioning look. "Yeah?"

Ji Eun stared at his eyes, her breathing started to become heavy. 

"I...I..." She bit the insides of her cheek, not even sure how she will say it to him.

Why did it suddenly become hard to say it to him?

She had been practicing this for days!

She already let go of all her attachments!

But why?

Why did it feel as if she's forbidden to say the truth to him?

Why did she feel her heart clenched?

Why did she suddenly become afraid?

 

"I'm leaving."

Oh, there, she said it. 

Chanyeol blinked. "Uh, we're still on the bus."

Ji Eun bit her lip and sighed. "No, Chanyeol. I...I'm leaving...for good."

for good

The boy felt his jaw clenched. "Oh."

"I'm coming back...to my--"

"Oh I clearly get what you're trying to say." Chanyeol cut and gave a forced smile. He has to admit that it was hard for him to do that.

Ji Eun searched his eyes and was somehow waiting for a response but there was none.

Instead, Chanyeol leaned his head on the window and closed his eyes.

Ji Eun, on the other hand, took in a deep breath.

That's it?

Wait, why did she suddenly become expectant towards him all of a sudden?

Why did it feel as if disappointment is swallowing her up?

 

~:~

 

Chanyeol didn't say anything the whole ride and when they finally reached his former home which is Soo Ri's, the both of them stopped in front of the gate.

The night was somehow chilly and only a few stars were out.

None of them moved nor said anything.

It seems like there was this invisible force that's holding the both of them.

Chanyeol was desperately finding words to say but his mind was completely blank.

Because all he knows that time is that there was an incoherent sadness that's slowly eating him up. 

So after a while, Ji Eun cleared and looked at him. "Uhh, thank you. Thank you for today. I really had fun...I mean, I will surely keep this day in my memories even when I get bac--"

"No problem," Chanyeol cut, not wanting to hear what she was about to say. It was too agonizing. "Just for you."

The girl pursed her lips. "So uhmm...good night."

Chanyeol nodded and although he wanted you say thousands of words to her, all he did was turn around and walk away.

Ji Eun watched his back and in every step that he takes, her heart beats rapidly the more.

"Wait! Chanyeol!" She shouted, causing the boy to look at her.

He was kind of far already but her voice was still clear for him to hear.

They both looked at each other,

She was taking heavy breaths; her heart was uneasy.

He was standing there; seeing Ji Eun in front of him was lovely yet knowing that she has to leave made a hole somewhere in his heart.

She was close yet so far.

It was bittersweet.

"The things..." She started. "T-the things that you told me earlier when we're between the Cherry Blossoms, are those...true?"

There, she finally let out that question that has been haunting her throughout that day.

"Because it felt like all of those were real." She added. "So...real."

"Is it true, Chanyeol?" Ji Eun asked again, feeling the cold wind brushed her cheeks.

After a while of gazing at each other's eyes, Chanyeol gave sad smile.

It was an obvious sad smile that Ji Eun saw for the first time.

"If I say yes," He replied, "will you stay?"

Ji Eun stood there, frozen after hearing his words.

Beneath the thick black sky, Chanyeol walked away, broken.

Beneath the thick black sky, Ji Eun stood on the ground, afraid

Because all of a sudden, the thought of leaving behind that tall boy scared her. 


Greetings,

I know it has been a while. I'm so sorry.

 

20141011