Strings Attached

The Peculiar Girl

Ji Eun scampered back to the living room and saw Soo Ri. A sincere smile was imprinted on her face but Ji Eun didn't know that behind it was a pint of sadness.

"Auntie!" She exclaimed. "It finally bloomed!"

"Dear, you can finally go."

Ji Eun felt as if her lungs would burst in any minute. 

Wiping her eyeglasses on the hem of her shirt, Soo Ri explained. "Did you check the number of petals?"

"Yes," Ji Eun nodded, "there are eight petals."

"Then you still have eight days to spend here in this world." Soo Ri informed. "Once it finally dropped its very last petal, you'll be gone."

 

  ~:~

 

Ji Eun stayed at the balcony after receiving Soo Ri's explanation.

She was wondering how it bloomed all of a sudden because she thought that there are more things that she still needs to know.

It was absolutely unexpected and Ji Eun had to admit that she wasn't prepared for this news yet of she was excited. That's what she's been waiting for anyway. 

The blooming of the flower means that she can finally go back to Fantasia.

And going back to Fantasia means she can finally reunite with her family.

Her relationship with the villagers will change too.

Her mind was constantly generating thoughts when it suddenly lead her to a realization.

Finally, she can escape the troubles and pain that she had encountered.

Ji Eun thought that maybe letting Luhan go was right because if she didn't, then she will definitely have a hard time leaving.

So it's true then, that there's always a reason behind every predicament.

"Eight more days," she whispered to herself. 

Excitement was obviously basked on her face when the gate suddenly opened, revealing Suzy along with her cheery grin.

"Ji Eun!" Suzy greeted as she ran towards her.

"Oh you're back already?" 

"I came to pick you up." The younger one informed.

"Where are we going?"

"Chanyeol said that he'll show us his new house and he said that you should tag along so I came back here." Suzy explained. "Anyway, let's go!"

"Wait, I'll go get my sweater." Ji Eun said and hurriedly went back inside.

 

After closing the gate, Ji Eun saw Chanyeol along with Suzy. 

"Hey," the boy grinned.

"I thought you guys will have you know, 'bonding day'?" Ji Eun asked when the three of them started to walk.

"It won't be fun if you're not with us." He responded with a wink.

"Yeah," Suzy nodded, "you're part of the family."

Hearing her statement, Ji Eun smiled.

Fortunately, the bus was exactly right on time when they reached the station so without further a do, they went inside.

Chanyeol sat beside the window while Suzy settled herself in between him and Ji Eun.

"Is auntie there?" The younger one asked Chanyeol, referring to his mom.

"Nope, she's still at work." He replied. "I'm alone there most of the time."

"Then you can just visit us most of the time." Ji Eun pointed out while Suzy agreed.

Chanyeol chuckled. "I will. Don't worry."

 

The ride to his place took thirty minutes which caused Ji Eun to realize that Suzy was right. His place was kind of far.

"Tada," Chanyeol said after unlocking the door.

His house was big for him and his mom. The walls have the color of cream and most of the items were made out of obviously expensive woods.

"Wow," Suzy remarked, "perks of having an interior designer as a mother."

Hearing her statement, Ji Eun raised her brow. "Really?"

Suzy nodded and took a seat on a couch.

"Wait, I'll go get some foods first." Chanyeol informed. "Make yourselves at home."

"Definitely," Suzy said and quickly reached the remote to turn on the TV.

Ji Eun, on the other hand, walked around. 

There was a large shelf filled with different kinds of books which Ji Eun found amusing.

"Are these books his?" 

"Yeah," Suzy said, "that guy has a bookish side you know."

Ji Eun nodded in awe when her attention landed on some picture frames that designed a certain wall.

"Wow, he definitely looks just like his mom." Ji Eun mumbled.

As she scanned each of it, she began to chuckle.

Suzy, who was currently flipping through the channels, turned to her. "What's the matter?"

"Nothing," Ji Eun shrugged, "his ears are just too cute."

Out of curiosity, Suzy went beside her and studied a picture of Chanyeol when he was probably seven years old.

"I know right. Chubby kid." 

Ji Eun cocked her head to the side and grinned. "A goblin."

Hearing his statement, Suzy suddenly laughed. "Well said!"

As the both of them made fun of a single photo, Chanyeol appeared. He was about to ask what's the noise about when he suddenly realized what they were looking at.

So in the end, Chanyeol got bullied by two stubborn girls.

 

~:~

 

Before they could go home, they went to the nearest convenient store after Chanyeol announced that he'll treat them some ice creams.

That's why on their way to the station, they had something to enjoy.

"Two more days and Finals will be done." Suzy sighed in relief. "And, hello Spring break!"

"Oh by the way, speaking of Finals," Ji Eun stated, "I was hoping you could tutor us again, Chanyeol."

"No problem. Tomorrow, after dismissal time." He replied, crumpling the wrapper of his chocolate ice cream.

"Wow," Ji Eun said, quited amused. "I thought there's still convincing to do."

"Oh I won't join the two of you." Suzy informed. "I told myself that I'll review alone."

"Oh really?" The boy huffed. "You won't get a high grade then."

"Ha.ha.ha. very funny." Suzy rolled her eyes.

"What? You won't be in Junior Class A if I didn't help you." Chanyeol boastfully pointed out.

"Are you telling me that my IQ is low?" 

"Well," Chanyeol scratched his head, "I guess s--ouch!"

Just before he could even finish his sentence, he earned a slap from Suzy on the arm.

"Your self confidence is seriously getting out of hand!"

The boy chuckled at her statement but in the end, he slung an arm on her shoulder. "I'm just kidding! I'm just hurt at the fact that you're becoming independent."

Seeing the act of the two, all could Ji Eun do was to chuckle.

However, as she let herself be lost on their conversation, she was hit by a sudden realization.

A realization that made her heart beat fast because of fear.

 

The flower bloomed which means that she'll go back to Fantasia in a matter of days.

And going back to Fantasia means to be away.

Away from the people that made her feel special.

For short, she'll be away from Chanyeol and Suzy.

 

It suddenly began, fear wrapped her that somehow suffocated her inside. 

All of the things that happened to her ever since she took her very first step in this world suddenly conquered her thoughts, just like a movie being rewinded.

Their voices, their encouragements, their playful bond, their familiar grins, and their presence will be just swept away by the wind once she got back and somehow, deep inside her, there was a part of her that's completely afraid.

Ji Eun was unaware that she stopped from her tracks that's why as Chanyeol and Suzy made fun of each other, they noticed that the girl wasn't beside them anymore.

They looked back and saw Ji Eun, completely blank.

"Ji Eun," He called, "you okay?"

Suzy ran back to her and slung her arm on her shoulders which caused Ji Eun to snap back from her thoughts. "Are you feeling well?"

Ji Eun stared at her eyes and noticed concern being visible on the younger one's eyes. 

She opened to say something yet she didn't know what to say so in the end, she tried to smile. "Oh uhh...it's nothing."

Suzy was unconvinced by her answer but in the end, she just nodded and cheerfully drag Ji Eun towards Chanyeol. "No one should be out of place. We should always stick together no matter what."

 

~:~

 

Chanyeol settled beside the window again and this time, Ji Eun sat between him and Suzy.

It was awfully suffocating for Chanyeol because after realizing his feelings towards her, every action that she makes somehow causes the insides of him to turn upside down especially his heart.

When he first met her, bumping her shoulders or being beside her was no big deal but after being hit by Cupid's arrow, being near her like that was enough to make his cheeks beet red.

He cleared his throat and decided to just focus his attention in the streets they pass by, letting the two girls converse without him.

After fifteen minutes, they became wrapped by silence. Suzy already took a nap because of tiredness while Ji Eun let the younger one's head rest on her left shoulder. 

She took a glance at Chanyeol who was quietly being occupied by his own thoughts and then she averted her gaze to the girl beside her.

Then it came back.

That certain fear started to wrap her insides again.

Ji Eun admits that being with them made her feel accepted and loved because they always act that she's completely part of the family. 

Without them, Ji Eun knew that she wouldn't be able to face this world.

They served as her shoes ever since in the beginning of her journey.

How then, could she announce that she'll be gone?

How then, could she say to them face to face that in a matter of days, she'll disappear?

 

Ji Eun couldn't accept the fact that Suzy will be alone again. She is her sister besides the fact that they're not related in blood.

With all their heart, they knew that they're sisters.

She then, thought of Chanyeol. 

Although their first meeting was hilariously awful, Chanyeol took care of her.

All of the things that he had done for her hit her so hard that it made her heart pound.

He's there whenever she needs help in studying.

Whenever she gets lost, he's always the one who'll look for her.

Whenever trouble hits her, he'll be there to suffer with her.

He had done many things to her that Ji Eun cannot even number them all. 

In that moment, she realized that Chanyeol served as her guardian through thick and thin.

She even realized that she hasn't done anything in return.

How could she show how grateful she was to have him if she'll be leaving in a matter of days?

It surprised Ji Eun that Chanyeol made a very large impact in her life. She considers him as a great guy who's always there for her.

Little did she know that she already became fond of him.

 

Maybe if she tell him the truth, he will understand. She needs help in conquering her fear and she knew that he's the only one that she can count on when it comes to her emotions.

He was the one who listened carefully when she told him how depressed she was with the Fantasia's villager's persecution towards her.

He was the one who comforted her when she cried.

He was the one who help her lessen the pain.

So maybe he'll help her again this time.

"Chanyeol," she mumbled, catching his attention.

"Yeah?" 

The girl pursed her lips and stared at his eyes. There was joy on his face.

She knew that his loneliness finally faded away and he became wrapped by buoyancy ever since his personal problems got fixed.

Then she realized, how will she tell him? 

Will he be happy?

 

The boy waited for a reply, when Ji Eun suddenly frowned and suddenly held his right cheek out of nowhere.

"Hey!" He demanded and shrugged away her hand as he felt the sudden rush of his blood.

"Are you okay?" The girl asked. "Your cheeks are beet red."

Hearing her statement, Chanyeol widened his eyes and looked away. "It's cold."

"Are you sure you're feeling we--"

"Yes, I am absolutely one hundred percent sure." He cuts.

"Okay then. Suit yourself." Ji Eun responded, unaware that she was the reason behind his crimson cheeks.

 

~:~

 

It was already the second day of Finals and when the bell finally rang for dismissal time, Ji Eun dashed to the library to review with Chanyeol. Noticing that he hasn't arrived yet, Ji Eun decided to settle at an empty table which was at the corner.

Although her so called tutor wasn't there yet, she already started reading her books.

In the midst of her seriousness in reviewing Literature, she thought of looking for more books that were in the shelves to serve as her reference.

Pushing back the chair, she stood up and headed towards the large bookshelves.

The school's library is located at the third floor of Building A. It was large and very spacious. There are countless bookshelves filled with different books like Encyclopedias, Atlases, and many more. Some students admire the room's windows because of its wide size which enables them to have a full view of the school's quadrangle or whenever the sun rises or sets. 

The walls were painted in white and brown while the floor has woody styled tiles which contemplates the library's quite and comforting atmosphere.

And as for Ji Eun, this is definitely one of the most enchanting places that she had encountered in this world.

The latter was eagerly looking for a book related to Shakespeare's sonnets and before she could transfer to the next shelf, she quickly hid behind after realizing that Luhan and Sehun was at the corner, also looking for books while having a conversation.

Their voices were thin in air but Ji Eun managed to hear it despite she's just at the nearest shelf.

She told herself to just continue looking for what she's finding but however, her ears suddenly perked up when she heard her name.

 

"Did you already talk to Ji Eun?" Sehun asked, flipping the pages of a random book that he picked.

Hearing her name, Luhan sighed. "Let's just stop discussing that topic this time."

"What?" Sehun mumbled. "I'm just asking anyway."

"I don't think I could talk to her again." Luhan whispered. "She's...angry."

"Of course. What do you expect? You hurt her so she has the right to act like that."

Hearing those words from his friend, Luhan bit his lip hard. "But I'm still hoping."

"Hoping for what?"

"Hoping that we could talk again even just for a few minutes."

Wrinkling his brow, Sehun gazed at him. "Huh? Even just for a few minutes? What for?"

Luhan already stopped searching and already transferred his eyes on the ground. "In that few minutes, I want her to know that yes, I used her but in the end, I realized that I do like being with her."

"My friend," Sehun muttered, "it's clear that you have feelings for her."

"This feeling," Luhan started, "makes me realize that I'm a complete bastard. I'm lost, I'm wrecked, and I want her back."

"Geez, man, you love her."

He nodded. "Yeah, I told her that I love her yet in the end, she thought that I just said it out of pretention but really, I meant it."

 

The two were still talking and as Ji Eun heard those words from them, she started to feel numb and before that feeling could eat her up, she quickly gathered her things from the table and quickly walked away.

She held on tightly to her books while her mind was completely lost in thoughts which caused her to be oblivious of the person in front of her when she stepped out of the room.

"Whoopsy daisy," Chanyeol said after getting bumped by her which caused him to hold her shoulders.

Ji Eun gasped but after realizing who it was, she was surprised to notice that all of her fears and confusion suddenly just disappeared.

Maybe because she feels so secured whenever he's there. Ji Eun doesn't know.

"Oh it's you." She said and drew out a sigh of relief. 

"Where are you going?" Chanyeol curled his brow.

"I...uhmm...uh,"

"We're supposed to review so let's g--"

"Hey I uhh...think it's better if we do it somewhere else?" Ji Eun requested with hopes that Chanyeol will agree.

Witnessing how she stuttered with words, the boy sharpened his eyes at her. "Is every thing alright?"

"What? Yes!" She chided and fanned herself.

"You're acting weird." He rolled his eyes and gestured her to come inside the library with him but before he could enter, she suddenly held his arm.

Chanyeol gave her a confused look but in a few moments, he recognized that familiar pleading look on her face whenever she's in trouble. 

"Please? Let's go somewhere else." She murmured and started to drag the boy away from the entrance door.

Chanyeol wanted to protest, but since he already knew her and her actions, he let her be.

He just let himself got dragged by her because he sensed her uneasiness.

He sensed it because he is fond of her.


FindingSunshine 2014|05|12

 

upvotes are highly appreciated. :)

Have a blessed day.

Hey you! Yes, you, reader. I just want you to know that

You are loved.