Opposite feelings

The Peculiar Girl

After dismissal time, Ji Eun decided to go to the Cafeteria first because she has an idea floating in her mind. When she finally reached her destination, she quickly scanned the glass where there are some candies and other sweets. Her eyes landed on the small rounded object with a stick, making her lips curled up into a smile.

“How much is this?” She asked the lady who’s probably in the age of thirty, pointing at the small lollipop.

The lady looked at where she’s pointing before making a respond. 

Ji Eun fished out the remaining money from her pocket and gave it to the lady to purchase a single lollipop.

“Thanks…” Ji Eun murmured while putting it inside her bag.

When she was a few steps away from the waiting area, she saw Suzy and Chanyeol from afar seated on one of the benches while bickering.

She chuckled but suddenly stopped from her tracks when she saw the boy who always sends wonderful heartbeats to her. It was Luhan from afar who just got out from the school’s gate. With a lot of excitement brewing inside her, she shouted his name.

Luhan possibly heard that voice so he spun around and to his surprise, it was Ji Eun, waving her hands to him from afar. He cleared his throat and turned away from her and quickly dragged his feet towards the car that’s waiting for him.

Realizing that what Luhan was doing, Ji Eun wrinkled her brow and decided to run. “Wait!”

Much to her disappointment, he didn’t turn to look at her instead, he went inside the car and it drove away before she could reach him. She breathed heavily and rested her hands on her knees. Disenchantment flooded her face as she pouted before making her way to the waiting area.

“Blahblahbl—Oh hey Ji Eun!“ Suzy, who was busy bickering with Chanyeol, saw Ji Eun approaching the two of them.

She gave them a forced smile and settled beside Suzy. “Hello…”

“Congratulations! Chanyeol told me that you passed!” Suzy chimed and held her thumbs up.

Happiness was defined in every word of her statement and all could Ji Eun do was to smile. “Thank you. How about you? Did you pass?”

Suzy vehemently nodded as a response. “Yes! I was on the seventh place!”

“Congratulations to you too…” Ji Eun said with a smile and patted Suzy’s shoulders.

“Wait, Chanyeol passed too then you two will be classmates.” Suzy said while getting something from her bag.

“Oh really? Chanyeol passed?” Ji Eun questioned.

Hearing her words, Chanyeol rolled his eyes and bended to look at JI Eun since Suzy is between them. “Duhh. Of course I passed. That’s why you passed because I tutored you. Besides, I’m the smartest guy here in school.” He boastfully pointed out with a raised brow.

Suzy scrunched her nose. “Yah you’re not the smartest guy here. You’re only in the third place.”

Ji Eun chuckled at Suzy’s statement. “She has a point. Myungsoo got the first place.”

Chanyeol just rolled his eyes and pretended he doesn’t hear anything but actually, he was just trying to hide his embarrassment.

“Yeah, he’s Chanyeol’s classmate since they were freshmen and Myungsoo always gets the first place. He’s a genius.” Suzy pointed out and took a peek at Chanyeol’s face.

“Really? I didn’t know he’s that smart.” Ji Eun replied.

Chanyeol twitched his eyebrow and looked at Ji Eun. “How did you know him?”

She just shrugged. “He’s kind of a friend I guess.”

 

~:~

 

The three of them decided to have their own worlds when they finally reached the house. Suzy went to her room to take a nap, Chanyeol went to his room to change his clothes while Ji Eun, on the other hand, went straight to the kitchen after changing her clothes since she wants something to eat.

Her eyes glimmered when she saw some Bananas rested on the center of the dining table.

She smiled and reached her hand towards it, getting three of them.

Ji Eun hummed as she made her way to the living room and plopped herself on one of the couches while peeling a Banana. She joyfully munched it and after a few minutes, she already finished the three of them. She huffed with full boredom when Chanyeol emerged from downstairs and settled himself on the couch across her. Remembering something, Ji Eun widened her eyes and stood up from her seat and quickly went upstairs while Chanyeol just ignored her and lied on the couch and put his arms at the back of his head, closing his eyes.

When Ji Eun opened the door of her room, she saw Suzy comfortably sleeping on the bed.

She bit her lower lip and carefully went towards her bag beside the study table.

Ji Eun ped it and her hand entered it, searching for something.

Her eyes turned into crescent with satisfaction when her hand finally took grasp of the lolipop.

After that, she quickly dragged her feet downstairs while holding the lollipop behind her back and stood beside the couch where Chanyeol was seated.

Sensing her presence, one of Chanyeol’s eyes pop open and peeked at Ji Eun whose face has a wide grin as if she’s planning something. He sighed and closed his eyes again and changed his position on the couch, turning his back to Ji Eun. She clicked her tongue and kneeled on the floor, expecting to meet his face with the same height. “Chanyeol,”

Hearing his name, Chanyeol just ignored her voice and tried his best to go to his dreamland when Ji Eun said something. “Hey, I have something to give you.”

His eyes flung open and he quickly turned around, ignoring the fact that her face was just a few inches away. “What?”

She pursed her lips before giving him a look at the lollipop. “Tada!”

Chanyeol sat up and looked at the thing she’s holding with a raised eyebrow. “A…lollipop?”

Ji Eun vehemently nodded with a cheery face and handed it to him. “Uh-huh…because you helped me pass the Special Exam.”

He gazed at her small gift and with a grin, he took it from her because he knew that even though it’s just a small thing that can somehow satisfy a person’s craving, this lollipop is special because he knew that this thing contains her gratefulness and he’s sure of it because Chanyeol is the kind of guy who knows to appreciate and would think of ways that will make him appreciate it more.

“Thanks,” He murmured and put it inside his pocket.

Ji Eun’s lips curled up into a smile and stood up, settling on the couch across him. “You’re welcome!”

Silence enveloped the two of them and it made Chanyeol bored so he tried to start another conversation. “Ji Eun,”

“Mm?”

Chanyeol cleared his throat, looking at her. “What does your world looks like?”

Liking the question he asked, Ji Eun gazed at the ceiling as she tapped her fingers on her chin. “Well…it was a wonderful kingdom. There were fairies, witches, trolls and many more.”

He almost laughed and Ji Eun glared at him. “What? You don’t believe me?”

Chanyeol scratched his head. “Well actually, what you’re telling me is unbelievable.”

She scrunched her nose and crossed her arms above her chest. “That’s because you didn’t see it. Don’t you have faith?”

He wrinkled his brow and gave her a stern look. “Huh?”

“You know…if you have faith, it means that you’re being sure of what you hoped for and certain of the things you do not see.” She replied.

Chanyeol smiled at her statement. “Whatever, okay I’ll try to believe you’re stories.”

Ji Eun puffed her cheeks before responding. “Don’t try. Do it.”

He sighed deeply. “Yeah yeah now go continue your story.”

“Alright…I have a sister there named Juniel. She’s beautiful and she dances very well plus her good and kind heart that’s why a lot of villagers find her adorable.”

Chanyeol nodded at her statement. “How about you? Do villagers find you adorable too?” He said, giving an exaggerated tone when he said the word ‘adorable’.

Ji Eun’s cheeriness left her face and she became serious as she inhaled deeply. “No…”

He laughed at her response. “See? Because you’re very stubborn and pushy beyond belief.”

She somehow flinched at what he said since she became sensitive and fragile when it comes to this topic so she glared at him. “You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Seeing the seriousness behind the brown orbs of her eyes, he stopped himself from laughing. “I’m just kidding. Then why do they hate you while they like your sister? That seems…unfair.”

Ji Eun puffed her cheeks and looked at her feet on the ground. “It’s just that…Juniel was created to have a good attitude while I, on the other hand, was a person whose friends are catastrophe and disaster.”

He wrinkled at her statement. “I don’t get it.”

“Ever since I was a child, my favorite hobby was to ruin everyone. That’s why they hated me.”

Chanyeol nodded in understanding. “Oh…well that makes sense. But what kind of a world is that? You were created to be bad? Pft.”

Ji Eun pouted. “Yeah…that’s why they sent me here.”

“Why?” He asked in curiosity.

She exhaled heavily. “Telling you the reason is kind of complicated but what they told me is that I’m here to be a woman with a good character.”

“Oh…so that’s why. But are you really sure that you were created to be bad or something?”

Ji Eun nodded. “That’s what they told me.”

“Well that seems wrong. Let’s just say you’re bad but it doesn’t mean that you’re created to be bad…maybe you became like that because of the choices you made.”

Ji Eun gave him a questioning look, signaling him to continue his explanation.

“Life is full of choices and it depends on the person what he/she wants to choose and their choices will be the ones that will lead him/her to the person he’ll/she’ll become. You see, imagine that we are sticks floating on the river, of course there will always be a time where there will be a lot of paths to choose and you can only pick one so it’s up to you where you want to go. Your destination depends on the choices you made.” He explained, trying his best to make it simpler.

As she listened to his statement, her eyes somehow became watery. She clasped her hands together and clicked her tongue. “What a speech you got there.”

He rolled his eyes, ruffling his hair. “I’m serious.”

The two of them held each other’s gazes and that’s when she realized, there was something there…something behind those eyes…something that she didn’t see in any other seniors…but the problem is that she can’t pinpoint what it is. Little did she know that she was slowly gaining the ability to look at a person’s soul through their eyes that serve as a window of their façade.

Ji Eun shrugged and averted her gaze again at the ceiling. “I don’t know…Anyway, I have a notebook where I write some things that’ll help me accomplish my mission.”

“Really? That’s nice. You could write there what I told you a while ago since I think it's kind of a lesson or a reminder for you I guess. Well…when will you get back?” He questioned.

She exhaled deeply. “I have no idea. Maybe when I finally became a good person.”

He nodded at her response. “Well I think it will take you long enough to accomplish your desire because being a person with a good attitude is not easy.”

“At least I have to try. That’s why you, Soo Ri and Suzy are here to help me.” She replied.

 

~:~

 

When Monday made its way, the classroom of section A was filled of thirty students that passed the exam and that includes Ji Eun. Some were new while some were already a student of section A like Chanyeol, Luhan and Myungsoo. They were all standing in front while Ms. Han arranged their seats.

“Hyuna, second chair in front.” Ms. Han said, gesturing Hyuna to proceed to her seat and Hyuna abidingly did what she said.

After a few minutes, Chanyeol was seated on the corner at the back behind the window because of his height. Only Ji Eun and Myungsoo were left standing and when Ms. Han called her name, she widened her eyes and went towards her teacher and whispered something.

The students were being bored to death so they just shrugged and try to make a world of their own oblivion. Ji Eun smiled after whispering and looked at Ms. Han with hopeful eyes. Her teacher raised her eyebrow with a playful smirk as she averted her gaze to her student named Luhan.

“Well Mr. Luhan, I guess you have an admirer.”

Hearing their teacher’s teasing statement, some students chuckled while Chanyeol just rolled his eyes and Myungsoo, on the other hand, was didn’t surprise at all because he knows that there are a lot of girls that like Luhan.

Luhan just stayed quiet and looked at his table, trying his best to be obscure. To be honest, he doesn’t actually like the fact that Ji Eun passed the exam because he was trying to avoid her but now, it would seem impossible now that she’s already his classmate.

Ms. Han clasped her hands together. “Okay then, as you requested Ms. Ji Eun. You can seat beside Luhan while you, Mr. Myungsoo, take your seat beside Ji Eun and the window.”

Ji Eun happily made her way to the seat beside the boy that sends butterflies in her stomach. “Hi Luhan!”

Luhan just gave her a nod with a forced smile and decided to let himself be busy by reading a book or something. Myungsoo took a seat beside Ji Eun and placed his bag behind his chair.

Chanyeol was behind Myungsoo and he could clearly saw how abashed Ji Eun was and it made him sick to his stomach, mentally cursing her that she doesn’t have taste when it comes to boys. He just rolled his eyes in annoyance and focused his attention on the world outside through the window.

The next hours passed smoothly until break time came and throughout the discussions, Ji Eun’s eyes didn’t become hungry since Luhan was beside her and she didn’t become tired looking at him as if she could stay like that for a lifetime. If a stare can melt something, Luhan already melted just like an ice cream basked under the sunlight.

Luhan just finished putting his books inside his bag and was about to go out when Ji eun widened her eyes and quickly ran to him. “Luhan, where will you eat? You’ll go to the garden right?”

Seeing her in front of him, Luhan cleared his throat and rubbed the back of his neck. “Oh…that…I’ll go wi—“

“Ji Eun,”

The both of them spun around and saw Chanyeol standing behind Ji Eun while his hands were hid inside his pocket. Luhan stayed quiet while Ji Eun tried to glare at Chanyeol for ruining her lovely moment.

He gave Ji Eun a smirk while Ji Eun just grimaced and after their silent bickering, Ji Eun turned to Luhan but unfortunately, he was nowhere to be found.

She inhaled deeply and looked at Chanyeol whose face is unreadable. “What was that?!”

Chanyeol wrinkled his brow. “What?”

“You. just. Ruined. My. Moment. Again.” She replied, giving him a death glare.

“Whatever, so let’s take our snacks now.” He said and grabbed her arms but Ji Eun yanked away.

“Oh for the love of guacamole, you think I’ll come with you after what you’ve done?” Ji Eun irritatingly said, making Chanyeol huffed in disbelief. “You will go with me and besides Suzy’s waiting for us.”

He grabbed her arm again and Ji Eun tried to yank him but failed. “Why? You’ll gonna eat with us? Reviewing is already done so you can go with your friends now.”

Chanyeol just rolled his eyes and started to walk but he was having a hard time since Ji Eun wouldn’t let him.

“C’mon Ji Eun!” He annoyingly said.

“No!” Ji Eun complained, trying her best to stop him when she saw Myungsoo who just got out from the door. She widened her eyes and seriously yanked Chanyeol away before holding Myungsoo’s arm, surprising Myungsoo.

“Myungsoo!” Ji Eun chimed in while Chanyeol just wore a questioning look together with Myungsoo.

“Let’s g—“

“Myungsoo, I’ll come with you right?” Ji Eun quickly said, cutting Chanyeol as she held on Myungsoo’s arm tightly and gave him a wink, saying that he should get along with her.

Myungsoo hesitantly nodded. “Oh…yeah right?”

Ji Eun widened her eyes. “Alright! Let’s go now!” She quickly dragged Myungsoo away from Chanyeol.

Chanyeol looked at them and rolled his eyes. *Since when the two of them became close?!*

 

When the two of them are finally out of Chanyeol’s sight, Ji Eun checked if the coast was already clear and after that, she looked at Myungsoo as she let go of his arm. “Whew, that was close. Thank you Myungsoo!”

Myungsoo, who was completely clueless, wrinkled his brow. “Okay?”

“Alright, I’ll go now, thanks again.” Ji Eun said and was about to turn around when Myungsoo called her and Ji Eun gave him a questioning look. “Mm?”

“Did you really mean that you’ll take your snacks with me?” He awkwardly asked.

Ji Eun chuckled and patted his shoulder. “Of course not. I’m just escaping that Chanyeol. You see, you’re like the knight in shining armor that rescued a princess from an ugly dragon.”

Myungsoo laughed and nodded while Ji Eun bade her goodbye. He looked at her as she walked away and he got to admit that he really liked it when she said that he’s like her knight in shining armor. But knowing that she’s just joking around about taking snacks with him, it made him disappointed.

*Since when she and Chanyeol became close?*

 

~:~

 

A week has passed and Ji Eun was still happy for being a classmate of Luhan. Every now and then, she would ask if the two of them will take snacks together at the garden but Luhan will always finds a way to reject her in a friendly way even though he was really irritated. Chanyeol could almost see that in Luhan since he’s also a boy and he wants to slap Ji Eun for not noticing it and who knows, maybe if he slapped her, there’s a possibility that she’ll wake up and face reality.

Myungsoo, on the other hand, already knew the connection of Ji Eun and Chanyeol so whenever he sees the two of them bickering, he would make sure to stand near them if ever Ji Eun wants to escape and he will be happy whenever Ji Eun would turn to him.

There was a time when they’re having a discussion when their teacher asked Ji Eun a question but Ji Eun was so caught up staring at Luhan. Chanyeol rolled his eyes and tried to kick her chair from the back since he’s behind Myungsoo and Ji Eun was within his reach. It woke Ji Eun up and she stood up, not knowing what the question is but since she has a knight in shining armor beside her, Myungsoo tried to whisper the answer while coughing and much to his relief, Ji Eun clearly heard him.

By the time Friday rolled in, Chanyeol and Luhan were the only one left in the classroom since they’re still copying some notes.

After a few minutes, Luhan already finished and was about to go out when he looked at Chanyeol who’s still taking some notes. He sighed deeply and walked towards him.

Sensing Luhan standing in front of him, he looked up and gave a blank expression.

“I want to tell you something.” Luhan said after clearing his throat.

Chanyeol twitched his eyebrow and focused his attention again on his notebook.

“I know that Ji Eun and you are close…so uhh…I don’t know how to tell her this so I think it’s better if you do it.”

Chanyeol stopped his hand from writing and perked his ears up, waiting for Luhan to continue.

“It’s obvious that she likes me…But it’s just that, she’s so pushy beyond belief. I…want her to avoid me since it’s kind of irritating. Besides, I don’t like her. Tell it to her would you?” Luhan said with a stern voice.

Chanyeol clicked his tongue and stayed quiet. After a minute of dead silence, Luhan sighed and walked away.

After copying the notes, Chanyeol zipped his bag and stood up, slinging his bag on his shoulders.

He made his way towards the waiting area and saw Suzy and Ji Eun chatting endlessly.
He saw how Ji Eun laughs and he knew that if he told it to her, there’s a possibility that that smile will fade and be brushed by the wind. Chanyeol sighed deeply and walked towards them with a playful grin, pretending that what happened a while ago was just an illusion.