Stars, Smiles, and Choices

The Peculiar Girl

The clock ticked to six in the morning when Ji Eun finally readied herself along with Suzy. A sizzling sound of bacon was heard when the both of them entered the kitchen, causing them to realize that their stomachs are screaming for breakfast.

"Good morning, girls." Soo Ri greeted as she placed a plate of eggs on the table.

Ji Eun cleared as she took a seat on the chair across Chanyeol who's currently busy with his food that time.

"Hey mom, what time did you come home last night?" Suzy curiously asked while filling her plate.

"Before twelve I guess. Good thing Chanyeol was awake." Soo Ri said in relief and finally took a seat among them. "I'm really sorry if I went home late, Ji Eun."

Hearing Soo Ri's statement, Ji Eun abruptly shook her head. "Oh it's no big deal, auntie!"

Although Ji Eun assured her that it's alright, Soo Ri felt guilty but in the end, she smiled and stood up from her seat and walked away.

Minutes later, she came back with a large pink paper bag, catching the attention of the two girls.

"But of course, I didn't forget your gift." Soo Ri said and made a wink.

Ji Eun widened her eyes and shyly took the paper bag from Soo Ri while Suzy clasped her hands together with glimmering and excited eyes.

"Oh..." Ji Eun mumbled and bit her lower lip.

"What's inside? What's inside?" Suzy giddily asked with so much anticipation.

Being curious too, Ji Eun gently removed the staple and when she finally did, a grin escaped her lips.

"Wow!" Suzy chimed after realizing that it was a simple yet elegant peach dress.

"I hope it suits you." Soo Ri said after seeing Ji Eun giggle.

Ji Eun gave her a thumbs up. "This will surely fit me, auntie. Thank you!"

Amidst their happy conversation, Chanyeol stayed quiet and carried on with his breakfast without muttering any word.

 

The ride on the way to school was quiet since almost all of them are in lack of sleep.

Suzy's head was leaning against the window when she took a nap while her lips were slightly parted.

A thin tinkering sound was heard when Ji Eun observed the charm that she was wearing which Chanyeol gave her last night. She just fixed her attention on it as she continuously shook her hand, being oblivious of the things around her.

However, she was unaware that Chanyeol, who was settled on the passenger's seat, was watching her through the rearview mirror and after seeing her jolly face because of the charm, a contented smile automotically graced his lips.

~:~

"Now tell me, why did the two of you suddenly disappear after break time yesterday without even leaving any explanation?" Mr. Kim asked. His elbow were resting on the wooden table while his eyes were full of seriousness.

Ji Eun and Luhan looked down, too nervous to think of an alibi for the both of them.

"Ms. Ji Eun," The older mentioned, "any statements regarding on what you two did?" 

Mr. Kim sternly asked as his stare bore into her and Ji Eun swore that she almost fainted.

"I..." Ji Eun stuttered. "It's...I-"

"It's my fault, sir." Luhan cut in, earning a surprised face from Ji Eun.

Hearing his words, Mr. Kim narrowed his brow after averting his eyes to Luhan who faced him with a mix of determination and nervousness.

"Is that so?"

Luhan gulped. "Yes. It's my fault. I...I told Ji Eun to come with me."

"Ms. Ji Eun came with you so it's also her fau--"

"No. I just suddenly pull her and she was stopping me but I didn't listen to her." Luhan explained, looking straight at the older one's eyes.

Sighing, Mr. Kim straightened his back and stared at the two with unreadable eyes, letting the silence wrap them in a suffocating way especially the two.

 

After a long discussion, Luhan found himself stuck in the school's empty gymnasium while holding a pail of water and a mop.

It was empty and quiet since there are no arranged schedules that time so Luhan was commanded to clean it, making the janitors lucky.

The place was awfully big and Luhan still hasn't cleaned half of it. After dipping the mop, a squirming sound was heard when he transferred it on the floor. It was tiring but Luhan didn't mind because he really admitted to himself that it's fault and in every choices or decisions, there's always a consquence. It's a pair and wether he likes it or not, he had to go with the flow.

Luhan felt some beads of sweat that were slowly rolling on his forehead but he shrugged it away by accidentally thinking of Ji Eun.

No matter how much trouble he's into that time, a part of him was relieved because Ji Eun didn't get involved. He praised himself for winning during their dicussion with Mr. Kim.

Although he'll face a very tiring task, he was thankful because Ji Eun wouldn't have to face it.

Thirty minutes had passed when Luhan stretched his arms, making him realized its pain. Heaving a sigh, he placed down the mop and laid himself on the cold floor, feeling the fading numbness of his joints. He glued his eyes on the vast unexciting roof and slowly closed his eyes, trying to ease his mind.

The latter didn't have any idea how much time had passed because he just let the quietness conquer him although it was kind of eerie but he was disturbed when he heard footsteps that echoed in the silence and because of his curiosity, he popped open one of his eyes only to be surprised after seeing Ji Eun whose eyes were looking down at him.

"H-hey," Luhan mumbled and had a hard time sitting up because he felt like he couldn't manage his own body anymore.

When he finally did, Ji Eun bit her lower lip and settled herself on the floor to meet his height.

"What're you doing here?" 

"It's already lunch time." Ji Eun informed and handed the boy a can of soda along with a sandwich.

Luhan stared at it for a while and when Ji Eun forced him to take it, he could say no and he admitted to himself that he's too tired to go at the cafeteria just to buy himself a food so he was grateful to have this girl around him to keep him company.

"Thanks," 

"I owe you big time." Ji Eun mumbled. "You didn't have to take all the responsibility because I'm willing to carry it too."

Luhan just shook his head as if it wasn't a big deal. "It's my fault. And it's okay, I can do this by myself."

Unconvinced by his answer, Ji Eun made a sigh as she looked down. "Well I feel guilty."

Clicking his tongue, Luhan unconsciously reached for her and held her chin, causing her to look up and meet his eyes. "Don't be. It's a privilege to save you."

Ji Eun chuckled at her statement as Luhan let go of her.

The two of them shrugged the topic away and proceeded to eat the foods that Ji Eun brought, accompanying it with laughter and teasing.

There were still twenty minutes left when the both of them finished, Ji Eun volunteered to clean their mess up and when she finally returned, Luhan was already on his feet, continuing to swipe the floor. 

Luhan just gave a her a quick smile while the girl just stared at him. "Can I help you?"

"It's alrea--"

"No it's not. There are a lot of minutes left." Ji Eun cut, glancing at her wristwatch. "Please?"

"Alright, there's an extra mop at the cabinet." Luhan informed and watched her ran quickly towards the cabinet that was a few distant away from him.

Ji Eun opened the cabinet and picked one that seemed strong to her. After that, she ran towards him with a jolly face, slightly panting.

"Go on," Luhan said and gestured her the bucket of water.

The two of them didn't talk but Luhan couldn't stop himself from smiling because Ji Eun kept on humming which accompanied the both of them from being wrapped by still silence.

"Hey look, Luhan." Ji Eun suddenly chimed. "I'm having a concert."

Luhan looked to her and realized that she's already at the bleachers, standing on top of it while holding her mop, pretending it was a microphone.

The boy could only chuckle at her random but adorable actions so just get along with the flow, he put his hands on the corners of his lips and tried to make a sound of screaming audience. It wasn't alike to the actual sound but hey, they're just having fun anyway.

When Ji Eun finally went down, she sat at the metal bleacher while Luhan proceeded beside her.

Ji Eun idly fiddled the mop when Luhan heaved a sigh.

"Ji Eun?"

"Mm?"

"Why do you like me?"

"I just do." Ji Eun quickly responded without any hesitation, not even showing a hint of an astonished expression.

Luhan smirked at her statement. "Wow. It seems like it's the most easiest question for you."

The girl didn't give any reply, causing Luhan to shut his mouth.

There was a minute of silence when Ji Eun pursed her lips and settled her eyes ahead to windows where the sun's light was shyly peeking. "You gave me."

Furrowing his brow, Luhan turned his head to look at her, confused. "Huh?"

"You gave me what I've been longing for." Ji Eun mumbled, still fixing her gaze ahead.

"And what is it that I gave you?" Luhan questioned, feeling the acceleration of his heart's beat.

"Love."

And that shut Luhan up.

"I've been wondering to know what it feels like to be loved by someone who's not blood related to me. Someone who'll just barge in my life and make me feel special."

After letting out those words, Ji Eun plastered a smile on her face and averted her eyes to him. Luhan was quiet and he felt like his heart became so swollen that his rib cage became far too small to contain it.

She was waiting for any response but her anticipation disappeared when she heard the sound of the school bell.

The latter automatically stood up along with Luhan and just before she could go, Luhan called her by her name, causing her to give him a questioning look.

"The school's evening dance is near..." Luhan informed, "Will you come there with me?"

Ji Eun didn't give herself a second to process what he just said and even though she doesn't have any idea what a school dance was, she answered with the help of her heart. "Of course,"

A smile full of contentment made its way on Luhan's face as he watched her skipped towards the entrance door.

She was almost there when she suddenly stopped herself and looked back only to realize that he was still watching her.

"Luhan," She exclaimed, "I don't like you. I love you."

And with that statement of hers, Ji Eun ran towards the door and made her escape with so much buoyancy.

Luhan just stood there until she finally disappeared. Luhan can't deny the fact that he felt joy when he heard this words but despite the sugar, spice and everything nice that he was currently feeling, a smile made up from bittersweet emotions appeared on his face. "You can't love me...Ji Eun."

~:~

It was a warm Friday morning when Section A had their PE activity at the field. Luhan took a seat on the grassy ground that was away from his classmates. He observed them from a distance. Some of his classmates were just doing a random game since they're already done with the activity while some just idly sat on the ground like him. 

His eyes stopped from wandering when it landed on Ji Eun who was currently running along with their other classmates since they decided to have a marathon game. 

Her hazelnut hair that was tied up into a bun sparkled beneath the sun while some strands of it was being blown by the wind. She ran freely and modestly without having a care in the world as her eyes turned like two crescent moons because of laughing.

She was glowing with innocene and vulnerability just like a porcelain doll and Luhan knew that his responsibility was to handle her with great care but because of his real purpose, he realized that although he will handle her great care, he will end up breaking her. And Luhan can't stand thinking of it unlike the days when he still doesn't know her that much.

He remembered how he approached her to go out with him and his eyes were flooded with uncontrolled anger and revenge. Luhan didn't know how he managed to do it and looking at the present, Luhan knew that there's no turning back.

Luhan assured himself a long ago that he will harden his heart and that everything will go according to his plan but just by examing what lately happened between the two of them, he realized that what he was expecting was the complete opposite of the result. Instead of hardening his heart more, it became soft and gave him weird feelings like butterflies. He was falling into his own trap.

"She might melt." 

Snapping back, Luhan looked up and saw Sehun standing beside him. Sehun gave him a nod before sitting down beside his friend.

"I can't fathom your expression right now." Sehun said, "something wrong?"

"Everything is absolutely wrong." Luhan replied as he clenched his jaw after fixing his attention on the grass.

"Mind if you share it?" 

"I'm scared." Luhan whispered and sullenly plucked some grass only to release it in a while and let it flutter along with the friendly breeze.

Sehun smirked at his statement. "Xi Luhan? This man, Xi Luhan? What makes you so scared? I thought you'r--"

"I'm scared of breaking her heart." 

The atmosphere suddenly changed into something undefine and awkward after those words slipped out from his mouth. Sehun was on the mood but when he heard his friend's response, he suddenly quieted. 

Now Sehun knew didn't have to ask why Luhan's face was unreadable when he looked at Ji Eun from afar.

"You love her...huh?" Sehun questioned in a mere whisper but much to his disappointment, Luhan gave no reply.

"I'm so stupid." Luhan muttered. "Why did I even do it anyway?"

"Because of what Minah did to you." Sehun replied. "I told you...revenge is never right because you'll end up hurting another person."

Luhan heaved a sigh. "You're right. But because of what I did, I almost forgot my main purpose. I almost forgot...Minah."

"Why do you think you forgot her?"

"I don't know...I just found myself thinking of Ji Eun so often. I don't even have any idea or any news about Minah because I'm too focused on Ji Eun."

"Then you love Ji Eun." Sehun pointed out.

Luhan disagreed and clicked his tongue. "She...she can't love me, Sehun. And I can't love her too. This was all a damn mistake. I...I don't want her to get hurt oka--"

"You're afraid of hurting her?" Sehun asked, earning a nod from Luhan. "Then you shouldn't have done this stupid idea in the first place."

"I was so mixed up that time alright? Sometimes, when people are mad, they make decision without even thinking." 

"Oh c'mon Luhan. Let's face it. Though you keep on denying it, you actually love her. You don't want her to get hurt, you care for her and you do things to her that you don't actually do when she still hasn't entered your life."

Luhan just clicked his tongue after hearing his friend's explanation and after a minute of silence, the both of them shared the same view--Ji Eun.

"So this is your choice? You're letting go because you don't want her to get hurt?"

"Yeah.."

"Don't be mad but I don't think that you're already letting her go because you want to get back to Minah now. You're letting Ji Eun go because you love her."

But Luhan made no reply.

~:~

"Oh how about this one?" Suzy asked Ji Eun who was seated on a small stool.

The two of them, along with Chanyeol, went to the Mall to buy some clothes for the upcoming school evening dance after receiving an allowance from Soo Ri. It was planned that she would go with them but some important matters came up so in the end, they went by themselves.

"What's a school evening dance anyway?" Ji Eun questioned, scanning some dresses.

"Well, the school usually held it after the foundation week but this year was kind of late. I don't know the reason though." Suzy answered, checking the texture of a blue dress that she had just seen. "Anyway, it's like a ball or something."

Hearing Suzy's explanation, Ji Eun widened her eyes. "A ball?"

"It's not actually like it where there are grand chandeliers and stuffs." Suzy replied.

"It sounds fascinating though." Ji Eun chimed and became more jubilant in finding a dress after knowing what the event was about.

Ji Eun picked a couple of dresses along with Suzy which took them half an hour and when they're finally finished, the both of them proceeded to the changing room.

It was hard for them to decide and while they're in the middle of decision making, Suzy's phone rang and when Suzy took it, she realized that Chanyeol was calling. "Yo?"

"Hey where are you?" Chanyeol asked with an irritated tone.

"We're still picking."

"What? An hour already passed and you're not done?!"

"Chill. How about you?"

"Suzy, I've already finished a while ago and I've been waiting here at the noodle shop for thirty minutes." Chanyeol pointed out.

Hearing his statement, Suzy rolled her eyes. "Yeah yeah we're coming."

When she finally hung up, she returned her phone inside her bag while muttering incoherent words and when she turned around to try an another outift, she widened her eyes to see Ji Eun standing before her with a simple yet elegant dress that perfectly suits her.

"Darling, I would marry you if I were a boy." Suzy winked and the both of them automatically chuckled.

~:~

"Finally," Chanyeol huffed after seeing the presence of Suzy and Ji Eun when they entered the shop.

He raised his hand for them to know where he was and when they finally took a sigh of him, Suzy grinned and woundeed her way through the tables along with Ji Eun. Chanyeol already ordered some food for the two of them which gave relief to Suzy and Ji Eun who were hungry because of endlessly looking for an outfit.

"It's already lukewarm." Chanyeol pointed out, earning an apologetic look from Ji Eun but when she gazed at him, Chanyeol looked away.

The bond between the two of them became dire and bleak.

Chanyeol seldomly approaches her and he'll just talk to her if it's about an important matter like what time Soo Ri will pick them up, it's time to eat and other basic stuffs that're dull.

Ji Eun isn't naive to not notice that and she had to admit that it saddens her. Chanyeol normally talks to Suzy but whenever Ji Eun will join their conversation, Chanyeol will silence himself. At first, Ji Eun shrugged it away but when days passed, Chanyeol continued to do it which is why Ji Eun became a bit uneasy.

There were times when Ji Eun took the initiative to start a talk with him but Chanyeol only gave bland answers which always lead ending the conversation.

"Man, I'm so excited for the school's evening dance." Suzy chimed. "What's the theme again?"

"Masquerade," Chanyeol replied, wrapping his hands around a petite cup of tea.

"Right, so after this, we'll buy some masks." Suzy said before proceeding to eat her food.

 

When all of them were finally done, they strolled around the mall to look for shops that sell mask which took them a lot of minutes before succeeding and when they finally did, Chanyeol was the one who opened the door that produced a thin tinkering sound. 

The shop mostly sell accesories but there were masks that can be used for a masquerade. There were a variety of them so it became hard for the three of them to choose.

"Oh oh how about this?" Suzy asked Ji Eun who was busy scanning a set of glittering masks.

"Maybe you should pick something that matches the color of your outfit." Ji Eun suggested with a wink and earned a nod from Suzy.

Chanyeol ignored the two and looked for his very own mask without their help. 

With a few knowledge and care when it comes to his outfit, Chanyeol randomly picked.

After a few minutes, the three of them approached the cashier to purchased what they chose. 

"By the way, I'll be at Baek's house before the dance. My friends and I have an agreement to fix ourselves together." Chanyeol explained when they went out the store.

Suzy just nodded at his information when she suddenly creased her brow. "Wait a minute, do you have a partner?"

Chanyeol somehow twitched at her question and hesitantly shook his head, making Suzy laugh.

Being irritated at her action, Chanyeol glared at her. "What?"

"Oh nothing," Suzy chimed when she suddenly hooked her arm on his. "Like what we always do every year, let's be partners."

The boy gave her a judging stare but in the end, a smirk played on his lips as he nodded.

~:~

A few days finally passed and when the day of the school's evening dance approached, every one was in jeopardy including Soo Ri who's busy preparing the two girls.

Chanyeol already went away since Suho picked him up along with his car that's why the house was occupied by the women.

There were a couple of rollers that were tangled on Suzy's hair as she put on some make-up while Soo Ri was busy fixing Ji Eun's long hair.

Smell of make-ups and hair sprays filled their nostrils as they busied themselves for tonight's event.

"What time will the program start?" Soo Ri asked, putting all her attention on Ji Eun.

"At exactly six o'clock." Suzy responded while gently applying a mascara on her dainty eyelashes.

Soo Ri made a sigh of relief after finishing Ji Eun's hair. She made her stood up as she held her arms. "You look stunning."

Ji Eun blushed at her statement and politely said 'thank you.'

Finding contentment in what she did, Soo Ri started to clean the mess. "Do you have someone to go with on tonight's event?"

"Luhan,"

Hearing her answer, Soo Ri pursed her lips. "Right...how could I forget,"

Ji Eun wrinkled her nose and gave the older on a questioning look. "Is there something wrong, auntie?"

Soo Ri shrugged. "Just...don't get too attached."

"What--"

"Go on, change your clothes. It's already five."

Although she was confused at what Soo Ri said, Ji Eun decided to just shrug it away and went upstairs to dress herself.

A couple of minutes had passed when the two youths were finally on there outfits. Soo Ri made a smile after seeing the two while her eyes were glimmering with pride and relief. Seeing the two stand before her on their outfits made her proud of them.

"What do you think mom?" Suzy asked, turning around to compliment the pleats of her red dress.

"I don't recognize the two of you." Soo Ri winked, "Too beautiful. Just like me."

The three of them giggled while Suzy and Ji Eun walked towards the older one before wrapping her arms around her. They all bent together just like a happy fortress.

 

"Hey, Kai's already here!" Suho shouted while putting on his black leather shoes.

Hearing this information, Chanyeol quickly walked towards the mirror and brushed some of his hair while Baekhyun, who was sharing the mirror with Chanyeol, fixed his bow tie.

"Looking good, Chan." Baekhyun teased and earned friendly punch on his arm.

"Guys c'mon, you're already handsome. Let's go." Suho clapped his hands to get their attention and when all of them were finally contented on themselves, Baekhyun bid his farewell to his parents and went out of the house along with his friends. 

Chanyeol walked towards the car and saw the window on the passenger's seat was rolled down, revealing Kai. When the two of them catched each other's gazed, Kai widened his eyes in awe. "Woah what happened to your hair?"

Chanyeol went inside before Suho and when he finally took a seat, he rolled his eyes, disregarding Kai's statement. "Yes I know, Kai. I'm handsome."

Kai smirked. "I smell arrogance."

Hearing his words, Chanyeol made a laugh which lead to another random conversation made by Baekhyun.

The ride on the way to the venue was full of youthful laughs that serenaded the coming of night.

~:~

It was already six o'clock when they finally reached the venue. It was already filled with students who were on their glamorous outfits that prettily matched this year's theme which is 'Masquerade'.

The place was bursting with music, giving everyone a feeling of excitement. There were a lot of lights but not bright enough to irritate them unlike in clubs where lights can blind them.

It still hasn’t started yet but some of the students are already lunging towards the long table that has a variety of foods that could feed hundreds of them.

Somewhere, Luhan and Sehun were settled at a table. Glasses of iced tea were set along with a plate of strawberry fondue that Sehun was currently devouring.

“Now there she goes,” Sehun said, looking straight ahead which caused Luhan to turn around since he’s sitting in front of Sehun.

Minah was on a grand dress which captured some of the attentions of her friends which eventually lead to girly conversations.

Realizing who it was, Luhan shrugged and returned his eyes on the glass in front of him that has a couple of ice cubes.

“What?” Sehun huffed.

“I thought it’s…” Luhan trailed, “Ji Eun.”

Hearing his words, Sehun smirked and pointed a finger at his friend. “Bingo.”

"I want to end all of this stupidity I've made." Luhan muttered and sharpened his gaze at the empty glass in front of him. "I just w--"

"Why?" Sehun asked as he rested his elbows on the table, being interested on what his friend was saying.

Luhan crossed his arms on his chest. "Because I don't want her to get hurt anymore."

"To make it simple, it's because you love her."

Hearing his statement, Luhan shook his head in denial. "That's not my point, Sehun."

The younger on boringly sighed. "Whatever you say...how will you end it then?"

Luhan took a deep breath before pursing his lips. "Soon."

 

Chanyeol was having a random conversation with his friends around a table when his phone suddenly vibrated, causing him to snap out from their world. Wrinkling his brow, he realized that Soo Ri was calling.

Without a second to lose, Chanyeol answered it. "Mom?"

"Chan, we're almost there. Wait for us outside."

"Yeah sure. I'll go out now. Bye. Love you." Chanyeol replied and after ending Soo Ri's call, Chanyeol excused himself and walked towards the entrance door.

There were still students who were currently arriving when he went out but he just ignored some of them and stood still on the ground, waiting to see Soo Ri's familiar car.

When a couple of minutes finally passed, Chanyeol's lips curled up in relief after getting a glimpse of her usual car that's coming near him.

The window at the front rolled down which revealed Soo Ri with a wide beam and a waving hand. 

Chanyeol smiled and gave her an assuring nod when the door finally opened.

Suzy was on her stunning red dress a long with a matching glittering mask. "Channie!"

Seeing her in front of him, Chanyeol acted as if he's a man being blinded by light. "Oh man, I'm in awe of your beauty. You don't look like my sis. W-who are you?"

Suzy stared at him with boring eyes and after hearing his statement, she stuck her tongue out. "Gosh I know. I'm so pretty."

Chanyeol grimaced and pretended to puke.

"Chanyeol!"

Hearing his name, he removed his attention away from Suzy to Ji Eun who was in a lovely peach dress. He didn't acknowledge her presence much although he really wanted to. Something inside him just kept him away from doing it.

He knows he's slowly building a barrier between the two of them but he doesn't have an idea why he was actually doing it.

Ji Eun, on the other hand, was totally surprised to see Chanyeol who now has a straight hair which made Ji Eun notice more his handsome appearance. He looked so different as if she doesn't know him.

After receving a neutral greeting from him, Ji Eun plastered a smile full of interest and surprise. "Straight hair?"

Hearing her words, Chanyeol made a nod, becoming timid all of a sudden because almost all of the people noticed the change that he made.

After bidding their farewell to Soo Ri, the three of them finally entered the building.

~:~

The event went on smoothly along with the ecstasy of students that was accompanied by the serenading evening sounds with a bit of party music.

Suzy and Ji Eun were settled in the table while savoring a slice of chocolate cake. Some are dancing, some are having idle conversations and some are just like the two girls who were busy spending their time with foods.

"Suzy," Ji Eun started, "can I ask you a question?"

"Shoot," Suzy said after gulping from her glass of iced tea.

"Is Chanyeol...mad at me?"

Her question made Suzy furrow her brow. "Eh? I don't know. What's with the question?"

Ji Eun sighed and nibbled her lower lip. "It's just that...he's been ignoring me for days."

"Really?" Suzy huffed, "I didn't notice it though."

The topic was shrugged away quickly and when the two of them were about to be wrapped by silence, someone called Ji Eun by her name which made them turn around, causing Suzy to widen her eyes because it was Myungsoo.

"Hey Myungsoo!" Ji Eun chimed as Myungsoo took a seat beside her and across Suzy.

"Lookin' good," Myungsoo complimented and when he met Suzy's gaze, he gave her a smile with a little wave and put back his attention to Ji Eun.

"Thanks," Ji Eun answered and carefully took another a bite from the cake.

The two had a neverending conversation while Suzy remained out of place that's why she was finding a way to relate herself but she doesn't have an idea how. It's like she's trying to fit in an already perfect couple. There wasn't a space for her to fit in.

So instead, she tried to befriend the cold iced tea in front of her and the small plate that has a slice of chocolate cake.

Everything was doing great with Myungsoo especially the fact that the one he fancies was talking to him but it all faded away when Luhan approached her, making him realize that the one he admires doesn't belong to him.

Luhan placed his hand on Ji Eun's shoulder, making the girl look up at him. 

"Wanna dance with me?" Luhan questioned along with a smile and of course, Ji Eun couldn't say no to that.

She stood up and quickly bade a farewell to Myungsoo, unaware that Myungsoo sighed with a shattered heart. He just looked at the two who were walking away from him and with sad eyes, he saw how Ji Eun looked to him and how Luhan slipped his hand on her waist while the other held her dainty hand. 

*What would it be like if I was him?*

Suzy, who was quiet the whole time, stole some glances at him and since her eyes were full of curiosity, it made her wonder. There was something about the way how Myungsoo talked to her. There was something extraordinary when he stared at her eyes. And there was surely something vast and deep when Suzy noticed how Myungsoo looked at the two when they walked away.

And although she just fancy him, although she's just having a happy crush on him, she doesn't want to accept the truth that was formulating inside her mind.

Sensing the quietness between them, Suzy cleared . "Hey Myungsoo, wanna dance?"

Myungsoo, who was currently in the state of friendzone, snapped away from his as abyss and gave the girl a questioning look. "Uhh...what?"

Suzy nod towards at the people who were dancing but much to her disappointment, Myungsoo painted disagreement on his face.

"Well...I'm kind of tired. Maybe later I guess?" Myungsoo made an awkward laugh.

Suzy waved her hand blithely as if it's no big deal and told him that it's alright. She has high hopes in making a conversation with him but Myungsoo already stood up and made a his farewell, leaving her behind.

They were in the same condition.

It's one of the common and painful problems when it comes to youtful love. You admire a person but that person fancies someone else which willl sadden you or maybe even anger you but in the end, you'll realize that no matter how many tears will escape your eyes, it's meaningless...because the person was never yours in the first place anyway.

 

"Oh look at this lovely lady." Chanyeol suddenly appeared which startled Suzy. "That sad face doesn't match your outfit. Eeew."

Her mood somehow managed to light up just a little and as she was making her response, Chanyeol took a seat across her and placed the plate that was full of desserts on the table that he was holding.

"Having fun?" Suzy asked as she watched her brother who just took a bite from a cupcake.

After clearing his throat, Chanyeol made a nod. 

"Where are your buddies?" Suzy asked, looking around.

"They're busy dancing." Chanyeol muttered as he rolled his eyes.

Hearing his statement, Suzy evily raised her eyebrow. "Ooooh. They're dancing huh? Why don't you dance too?"

"Hey watch your words. I know how to dance." Chanyeol defended.

"What? Did I say that you don't?" Suzy pointed out.

"Whatever, Bae Suzy." 

Suzy just chuckled and traced the rim of the glass using her index finger. Not long after, she heaved a sigh.

"Chanyeol?"

"Yeah?" Chanyeol mumbled after taking a sip from an iced tea.

"Why do you think the person you like doesn't like you back?" Suzy questioned, "This is just a survey though. I just want to have your opinion."

Hearing her question, Chanyeol raised on of his eyebrows and gave Suzy a judging stare. "What's with the que--"

"Ugh enough with the drama. Just answer it." Suzy pointed out with frustration.

Chanyeol mocked but in the end, clasped his hands together and made an answer. "Easy. Maybe that person fancy someone else."

Hearing his answer, Suzy pursed her lips and nodded. "Ohh..."

Chanyeol continued on with his food while the girl averted her attention to the dancing floor and not long after, she spotted Ji Eun who was currently lost in the abyss of Luhan's eyes. She just stared at her and after a while, a warm smile graced her lips.

"Ji Eun's maturing now huh?" Suzy stated, causing Chanyeol to look at where she's looking.

"I still remember the day when she first came here and she doesn't have any single idea what is a steak." Suzy chuckled, "She even blot out weird expressios like 'dancing goblins'." 

When she let out those words, the two of them chuckled a bit because they can relate for they have been with Ji Eun since the very beginning she took her first step in this world.

"And now," Suzy mumbled, "there she was. A beautiful lady who's becoming more independent." 

Chanyeol just looked at Ji Eun and saw how she' s spending the night with the boy she loves and somehow, something inside Chanyeol, twinged. And just before his stare could bear into her, Chanyeol looked away and cleared his throat. *It's coming back. This freakin' twinge is coming back.*

~:~

The night sky was bursting with little diamond flecks and the evening was unfading when Ji Eun finally took a seat after dancing for a while. Luhan was now chattering with his friends while Ji Eun decided to have a space.

After taking another glass of iced tea, Ji Eun decided to stroll around until she noticed someone standing at the balcony. Just by looking at the person's stature and new hairstyle, she didn't need to doubt for she knew it was him.

Chanyeol's back was facing her when she walked towards him and gave him a poke, causing him to turn around.

"Hey," Ji Eun said as she went beside him and rested her elbows on the terrace.

Chanyeol gave a slight smile and returned to his position. The both of them watched the twinkling stars that seem like unreachable fireflies while quietness conquered the atmosphere.

"Thousands of stars are out." Ji Eun mumbled and tried to plaster a smile.

Hearing her statement, Chanyeol shrugged and gave no reply but his eyes were still glued on the black sky.

A little while later, a heavy sigh was heard from Ji Eun and when she did, she averted her eyes to him with a frustrated face.

"Chanyeol," She said, "Are you mad at me?"

For the first time after a long while, Chanyeol gave her a long stare as he processed her question. 

Ji Eun was pretty tonight. Oh no, scratch that. She was beautiful.

Chanyeol suddenly thought that Suzy was right, when he looked at Ji Eun, he realized that she surely changed. 

And he was still not accepting the fact that he's changing too ever since that girl entered his life.

Just by looking at her, Chanyeol managed to look through behind her facade. He was unaware that he memorized her vulnerability including how Ji Eun befriends happiness. She was an indescribable person but Chanyeol managed to define her.

A lot of things were roaming around his mind and then it came back at a certain second.

Something twinged inside him.

And that was the thing that caused Chanyeol to run away.

It scared him.

Everytime he was around her, the twinge happens.

He doesn't have any idea when it started because all he wanted was to get away from it but tonight, the way how he let himself get lost in her eyes made this twinge uncontrollable.

And just before it could take over him, Chanyeol cleared his throat and managed to break out from that trance.

"You look pretty." Chanyeol blurted out and tried to smile.

Ji Eun, who was expecting an answer for her question a while ago, blinked. His statement was way too far as a response but yet, it enlightened her heart. 

"T-thanks," The latter chuckled, "You too. I like your new hair."

Chanyeol smiled and the both of them returned their gazes to the stars as if nothing happened.

~:~

"I think I should let her go." Luhan mumbled to Sehun while watching the two from a distance.

Sehun pursed his lips. "Are you sure about that?"

"I..." Luhan stated, "I just don't want her to get hurt."

"And you don't want her to get hurt because you love her." Sehun mumbled which is more than a question than a statement.

Once again, Luhan made no reply.

Sehun sighed and patted his friend's shoulder. He knew that Luhan was currently in jeopardy. Maybe Luhan is still unsure or his emotions and feelings are mixed up but Sehun knew that he didn't need to point out things to his friend because he was sure that all of this will lead to a  'yes'.


 

Hello,

I've been away for a loooong time. I'm really sorry. I'm having trouble in befriending some inspirations. xD Anyway, I hope you still get the flow of this story. And about the Myungzy part, please don't be too disappointed...this story hasn't ended yet so who knows.

Anyway, have a nice day!

 

Yours,

FindingSunshine