A story behind His Facade

The Peculiar Girl

Ji Eun arrived home at 5:30 in the afternoon and when she went inside, Soo Ri and Suzy were eating a bowl of popcorn in the living room.

"Hey Ji Eun! Where were you?" Suzy asked after getting a fistful of popcorm.

Ji Eun sat on the other couch and removed her shoes along with her socks. "Sorry, an important matter occured."

Suzy raised her eyebrow. "What do you mean, matter?"

"I'll tell it to you later." Ji Eun replied with a wink.

"Okay then," Suzy replied with a nod full of assurance. 

"You know auntie, I think I learned a lot today." 

Soo Ri averted her gaze to Ji Eun and plastered a smile. She gave her a nod full of contentment. "That's good."

 

When Ji Eun finally changed her clothes, she sat on her bed and took out some of her notebooks to do some reviewing. By that time, Suzy entered and plopped herself beside Ji Eun. "So...tell it to me now."

Ji Eun cocked her head to the side. "Huh?"

"You know...why did you come late. Did you and Luhan go on a date? Is it about him?"

"Oh no we didn't. And it's not about Luhan."

Hearing her statement, Suzy wrinkled her brow. "Then who?"

"Just...a friend of mine."

Suzy, who became more curious, grabbed a pillow and locked it between her arms."Well who is this friend then?"

"I think you probably know him." Ji Eun pointed out. "It's Myungsoo."

Suzy's ears perked up. "Myu--Kim Myungsoo?"

"See? I knew it. Almost evey one knows him because he's a genius."

Suzy just shrugged. "So what's the matter with him?"

"I don't think it's necessary to tell it to you but I trust you, Suzy." Ji Eun said and leaned herself against the wall.

With a nod, Suzy moved a little closer to her.

"Well, it's about his dad." Ji Eun mumbled. "He had a heart attack last Friday night and the doctor said to him that the chance of survival is not that much."

Hearing those words, Suzy widened her eyes. "Oh my dancing goblins..."

A small chuckle escaped Ji Eun's mouth because she already noticed that Suzy got used to her Fantasia expressions.

"I feel sorry for him..." The latter mumbled.

"Did he cry?" Suzy questioned.

"He didn't but in the inside," Ji Eun replied. "he did."

"Ohh...Ji Eun, did you already see a boy cried? As in literally cried." 

Remembering something, Ji Eun nodded, making Suzy's eyes flashed with curiosity. "Really?"

Ji Eun shrugged. "Yeah, it's Chanyeol."

Hearing her response, Suzy curled her brow. "Wait what? That douche? I've never seen him cry before ever since...h-his mom...left him."

"He cried because Minah broke up with him." 

"Woah...he really loved her huh?"

Ji Eun shrugged. "Absolutely...he won't cry like that if he didn't love her."

The both of them just nodded and after a second of silence, Suzy decided to banish it. "Do you have an idea where Myungsoo's dad was confined?"

Ji Eun tapped her finger on her chin as she tried to recall her conversation with Myungsoo. "Somehow like As...As--"

"Asan Medical Center?"

Ji Eun raised her brow. "That's it!"

"Really...that's good." Suzy murmured and Ji Eun didn't reply anymore.

 

Soo Ri was washing the dishes when she heard Suzy called her name. When she spun around, she saw her daughter leaning against the wall. 

"Hey Suzy, anything wrong?"

Suzy shook her head, making her mom nod and went back to washing the dishes.

The girl bit her lower lip and decided to sit on one of the chairs surrounding the mother table. "You're a doctor...right?"

A small laugh escaped her mom's mouth. "Of course I am. You know that."

"What kind of a doctor are you anyway?" Suzy asked, fiddling her delicate fingers on the table.

Being aware of her questions, Soo Ri wrinkled her brow and turned around to face her daughter. "Why do you want to know all of a sudden?"

"Nothing...I'm just curious." 

And with that statement of hers, the started to have a conversation.

It lasted for ten minutes and Soo Ri was now sitting on the chair beside Suzy's.

"Wow...that seems pretty hard." The latter mumbled after hearing her mom's story as a doctor.

After taking a deep breath, she held Soo Ri's gaze. "Mom, will you do me a favor?"

 

~:~

 

Luhan didn't go to school the next day and it made Ji Eun disappointed. She tried to call him but he didn't answer it. She's also expecting for a message or something but there wasn't.

After copying the words written on the white board, the girl puffed her cheeks before burying her head on her arms that were rested on her table.

Myungsoo hasn't come to school yet and it made Ji Eun hope more that his father will be okay. 

So there she was, settled between two empty chairs.

The day went on by being tedious to Ji Eun until it's finally dismissal time.

She slowly packed up her bag and when she stepped outside, she saw Chanyeol leaning against the wall, waiting for her.

"Finally," He muttered and gestured her to go.

"Do you have an idea why Myungsoo's still absent? You met him yesterday right?" Chanyeol questioned.

The girl shrugged. "Family matters..."

"Oh..." Chanyeol mumbled and witnessed the hallway getting slowly piled up by students.

When they finally took a step outside the building, the air was crisp and it caressed their faces in a gentle way. 

"I think mom's not here yet. Let's just wait for her then." The boy said as they got a little closer to the school's entrance gate.

"Alright,"

"You know," Chanyeol mumbled. "It had been days that you don't go home with us anymore since you're always with Lu--" 

"Ji Eun!"

The two looked ahead and saw Luhan outside the gate, standing beside his car. When they met gazes, the boy gave a small wave.

Seeing his existence, Chanyeol huffed in disbelief. *Here I am thinking that she can finally go home with us.*

After having a very trite day, joy finally wrapped Ji Eun. She widened her eyes and quickly ran towards the boy who first gave a melody to her heart. 

She bounced up and down in front of him. "Why are you here and why were you absent?"

He shrugged. "I'll explain it to you later. Will you come with me?"

The girl wrinkled her brow. "Where?"

"You'll see..." He replied and tried to plaster a smile but Ji Eun somehow saw something behind it.

"Okay then--oh wait, I'll go tell Chanyeol first." 

Ji Eun looked back and realized that Chanyeol finally took a seat on one of the benches in the waiting area, listening to his iPod. When he sensed her presence, he took out one of his earphones.

"Hey Luhan's here. I won't go home with you and Suzy today." The girl informed.

"As usual," He muttered and looked at Luhan from the distance. He just gave him a slight nod although he's not sure if Luhan noticed it.

"Just tell it to aunt--" 

"Hey there peeps!"

Suzy approached them. Her hand wrapped tightly around the strap of her bag.

"Hey Suzy. Look, I won't go home with you today." Ji Eun informed which Suzy just shrugged away because she saw Luhan a while ago. 

"It's okay. I'll just let mom know." 

"Okay then, see you later." Ji Eun greeted before walking away and Suzy smiled as she waved her hand.

 

For the first time, Luhan settled himself beside Ji Eun at the backseat which warmed up Ji Eun.

"So where are we going?" The girl questioned, rubbing her two delicate hands on her lap.

"You'll see." Luhan replied, barely registered to a whisper.

Ji Eun was expecting him to continue but much to her disappointment, he didn't. The boy looked outside the window but however, he wasn't staring at the streets they passed by...he was somehow fixing his gaze somewhere beyond the horizon. The sky was a mixture of purple and orange while the sun was slowly setting. 
Ji Eun noticed that he was blank at the moment, sinking into an abyss she barely knew.

"Luhan, is something wrong?" Ji Eun spoke and touched his arm.

The boy just shrugged. "You wanna have a clue where we are going?"

Ji Eun nodded her head while confusion basked her face.

Luhan averted his gaze to her. His eyes were empty and it made Ji Eun wonder...because he was unreadable.

"It's my sister's death anniversary."

 

~:~

 

The air was humid and the sky doesn't have a cheerful color when Luhan woke up that morning. Just like how lonely and trite the day was, Luhan felt that way too. He stared at the vast sky through his window and then slowly averted his gaze at the calendar rested on his sidetable.

A sigh escaped his lips when Luhan stood up.

Silence enveloped the house as he took his steps downstairs. A typical smell of morning breakfast welcomed his senses but instead of going to the dining room, he made his way to the living room.

He stopped himself and stood in front of a large family portrait whose frame was outstandingly polished. 

Joy was basked on his parents' face and a boy with golden hair was happily settled on the grass along with a little girl whose face radiates the blooming of flowers. 

They were so happy back then...and today, Luhan had already forgotten that feeling.

His eyes were glued on the girl seated beside him in that picture as a small smile graced his lips. 

"I miss you, Li wei." 

It had been thirteen years since he last saw her radiant smile.

It had been thirteen years since he last heard her melodious laugh.

It had been thirteen years since he last locked his gaze at hers.

It had been thirteen years since he last saw her last teardrop rolled down her cheek.

It had been thirteen years since he saw her winter-colored skin got covered by blood.

It had been thirteen years since he last saw the very existence of his little angel. That's what he call his sister ever since he first took a glimpse of her lying on a nursery bed.

"Sir, breakfast's rea--oh...I'm sorry." The maid said when she realized what he was doing. She slowly turned back and let him be.

After a few minutes of reminiscing, Luhan sighed and walked towards the dining room.

The table were packed by morning foods...but there were no people settled around it.

He told the maids to leave and they obliged while he let Mr. Lee, which is his butler, stay.

The boy sat on one of the chairs and bowed his head to pray.

There was a long silence before the clanking of plates and utensils were heard.

"You're not going to school today?" Mr. Lee questioned.

"I would rather spend this day by thinking about my sister." 

"I know. This day surely is important to you." 

Luhan just smiled at his response. "Where's mom and dad?" 

"Oh...they're still at Beijing. They've been busy these days." Mr. Lee replied.

"Did they call today?" 

"Yes they did but you were asleep. They were sorry for not being home today." 

"It's their first time to be away on her death anniversary..." Luhan muttered after drinking.

"I know. I hope you'll be okay today."

The boy shrugged. "Of course I will. At least they were sorry."

Mr. Lee smiled. It amazed him that this boy doesn't have grudges towards his parents albeit the fact that they barely bond as a family.

But of course there were times that he can clearly see that Luhan feels so lonely.

 

~:~

 

"Is she the one you're telling me about?" Ji Eun asked as the two of them stood before his sister's grave.

Luhan nodded as a response and kneeled to put a bouquet of flowers.

"W-when did she die?" 

"A long time ago." He responded and stared at the engraved letters on the tomb.

Being surprised at everything that's happening, Ji Eun kneeled to meet his current height and she felt the poking damp blades of grass. "How?"

"Because of a car accident." 

Hearing his words, Ji Eun widened her eyes. "What?"

"It was raining hard that time when she and mom went driving. And then it happened. "  Luhan replied; his heart clenching as dark memories embraced him.

"Oh...I'm sorry." Ji Eun whispered. "What's her name?"

"Li Wei." 

"She must be really beautiful huh?" Ji Eun questioned and sincerely stared at Li Wei's tomb as if she could see her.

"Just like her name...a beautiful rose." 

"How I wish I could meet her." The girl mumbled.

Luhan averted his gaze to her. "You two would get along well. She likes fairytales too you know...her imaginations are as wild as yours."

Ji Eun stared back. "Really? She must be remarkable."

"You remind me of her." Luhan said as he remembered the times when Ji Eun would create childish conversations.

"Ohh...so that's what you're always talking about." 

Luhan's driver walked towards them and laid a blanket on the grassy ground. "You two could sit here."

Ji Eun transfered herself on it along with Luhan and gave a warm 'thank you' to the driver before he went back to the car. 

"Do you miss her?" 

Luhan was idly plucking some grass. "Of course I do...always."

A sigh escaped Ji Eun's lips as she wrapped her arms around her knees. "This world surely is cruel."

Luhan somehow smirked at her sentence and then he nodded.

"I was at home when that happened...when I heard the news, dad quickly brought me with him to the hospital and when we got there, she's already gone." 

The girl looked at him with sympathetic eyes. "You mean...she's already dead when you arrived?"

"Yeah. I was six that time. Too young to see my only sister lying on a bed while blood covered some of her skin...I can still remember that I stared at her for a long time, hoping that she'll open her eyes and tell me that she's alright. But of course, I was a child back then to think such things." Luhan blinked, scared at the fact that he might cry in front of Ji Eun. He can't let those buried memories haunt him again.

"You surely love her huh?"

"Of course I do, everyone loves their sibling albeit there are times that we quarrel. I was still a little boy when I witnessed it so at a young age, I learned how to weep." 

Ji Eun's ears perked up. "You cried?"

"Yes of course. It hurts because one of the saddest things to experience is when someone left you without even having a proper goodbye."

The girl gently patted his back and she could almost imagine a little Luhan sitting in a corner while weeping heavily. It was an awful thought for her so she quickly shrugged it away. "You know, I never thought that you have this kind of story."

"Well now you know. It took a lot of time for me to get over of that event and I have to admit that my parents had a hard time comforting me." 

"It's a good thing that you're kind of okay now. You're strong, Luhan."

"Of course I already forgot it. There are just times that I'll suddenly remember it. Although I'm still young that time, that single memory was completely vivid." Luhan replied and felt the cold wind brushed his arm.

"It must've been hard for you..." Ji Eun mumbled and fixed her eyes on the grass that were dancing with the wind.

"It was...really. But as time passed by, I learned something."

"What is it then?"

"What I learned is that I should not wallow myself in despair or grief because it's just meaningless...I'll just cry and cry although it already happened. Crying will do no good because past is past and we can't turn back time. Now it's just up for us to make our choices: To let ourselves stuck in the pass or to keep moving forward despite the pain. So I chose the latter and then as time passed by, I learned to let go. Time is said to heal all wounds anyway." Luhan explained and as he looked back to what he is that time, it made him smile at the fact that he absolutely changed.

Hearing those words, Ji Eun's heart somehow warmed up. She definitely learned something to what he just said.

"You know, you're the very first girl I've brought here instead of my mom of course." Luhan added out of nowhere which made the girl surprise.

"That's...nice to hear." 

Luhan just smirked at her response and continued to pluck some grass as if he's having a desire to make the place bald.

Ji Eun averted her gaze to the unfathomable horizon. The atmosphere was strange, making her homesick.

"I...miss my sister too." 

"You have a sister?" Luhan surprisingly questioned.

The girl slowly nodded and pursed her lips. 

"I didn't know. Where is she then?" 

Knowing that their conversation was slowly leading to complications, Ji Eun shrugged. "Somewhere..."

The both of them basked in silence when Ji Eun intensely looked at him. "Luhan, can I ask you something?"

"Go on,"

"What if you realized that I'm from another world, will you still accept me?" She asked while her heart was beating quickly.

The boy scrunched his brow. "What kind of question is that?"

Ji Eun was expecting an answer but his response made her disappointed, she knew that he's still not ready to believe. 

"Oh...it's nothing."

Luhan chuckled as he shook his head. "You're weird, Ji Eun."

"Sorry," Ji Eun responded.

"Don't be," Luhan smiled. *That's what I like about you.*

"Alright then,"

With that statement of hers, she felt something wet touched her knees, making her look up. She then, realized that it's starting to rain.

"Uh-oh." Ji Eun mumbled and the both of them quickly stood up. Luhan opened his umbrella while Ji Eun folded the blanket.

They walked in silence and the sound of raindrops falling on the umbrella was heard until they went inside the car. 

"You know, I'm really grateful that you brought me here." Ji Eun said just before the car roared to life.

Luhan smiled. "You're welcome."

"Can you tell me something about her?" The girl asked and much to her relief, Luhan agreed.

The ride back home was full of laughter as Luhan let the two of them travel back to the time Li Wei was still alive.

And when it's time for them to separate their ways, the both of them were disappointed.

"Bye Ji Eun, thank you so much for today. I mean it." Luhan said.

"Thank you too. I like your sister you know although I haven't met her." Ji Eun muttered before pouting.

Luhan ruffled her hair gently. "You're welcome."

Just before Ji Eun could say something again, the gate suddenly opened, revealing a serious Chanyeol. "Where have you been? It's already seven."

The girl mentally cursed the giant while Luhan gave her a final nod and wave before entering the car.

She watched the car as it turned smaller until it's nowhere to be seen. She then, turned around and glared at Chanyeol.

"You really know how to ruin someone's moment. If you're in Fantasia, you're surely labelled as a villain."

Ji Eun walked pass him and flipped her hair intentionally to hit his face, which made Chanyeol huff in disbelief. "Eish. Ji Eun!!!"

A smirk escaped her lips as she ran quickly to her room.

 

"You know sir, this is the first time that I saw you're happy on your sister's death anniversary." Luhan's driver said.

"Really?" Luhan questioned while his driver nodded as a response.

"Maybe because you went with her." 

Luhan just smiled at his driver's statement and fixed his eyes on the places they passed by.

Actually, he doesn't have any idea why he suddenly invited Ji Eun to come with him.

It's just that she somehow has this aura that made him do so.

He never did this to Minah because he knew it's his own issue but when it comes to Ji Eun, it seems like there are no barriers.

Every year, this is his familiar routine whenever it's Li Wei's death anniversary. Luhan and his parents would go visit her but today, it changed. 

First, his parents weren't there.

Second, he brought someone who's not even blood-related to them.

And somehow, it didn't make him uncomfortable. 

In fact, today, he met happiness instead of loneliness.  

He completely thought that this day would be heavy for him because memories would haunt him again after years of burying it but today, instead of dark memories, happy memories of him and Li Wei conquered his mind and it made him feel so good.

 

~:~

 

It's been a while since I last wrote here but although I didn't write that much now, I still continue my mission. These past few days, I learned a lot. There were also times when words of encouragement would just slip out from my tongue and I don't even know where they came from. It was an unusual feeling but it was somehow fun because it managed to light up a person. Myungsoo has a problem right now and he's having a hard time. I told him to just trust his father despite the circumstances. It made me miss papa. Although people in Fantasia dislike me, papa doesn't. I hope Myungsoo's dad will be alright. I'll do everything to help Myungsoo find peace in the rain.

Today, I learned something about Luhan. I thought I already know him but I ws wrong. Maybe it's a part of relationship--to get to know each other better including their flaws. We went to Li Wei's grave. It's his sister and she died because of a car accident. When he told me the story, I somehow realized that this world is kind of cruel...it can make a person you love gone forever. If that happened to me and my family, I'm sure that I'll give up. So it amazed me to see how strong Luhan was. When I first saw him, his happiness basked him so knowing that he has this kind of problem left me in awe. He managed to befriend joy despite the unlikeable vicissitude that life gave him. That's why today, he's a happy man. He's strong enough to face those obstacles that's why in the end, he won. Luhan has the ability to hide all those problems behind his facade. I hope someday I can do it too. I hope someday, I'll be strong like him. He also told me something today. He said that if something bad happened in your life, you should not let yourself be trapped in there forever. Well of course you can cry and you can be sad but not that much because if you let sadness swallow you, you'll miss out a lot of life's pleasures. Life's too short to let yourself be tamed by melancholy. Grieving can't change what has happened already. What you need to do is to keep moving forward with boldness knowing that you're strong enough to conquer every life's trial.

I'm really grateful for today because I learned something.

Today, I managed to see right through him.

Today, I managed to know what were the things that made Luhan, Luhan.

Today, I managed to know something that's hidden behind his brilliant eyes and smile.

Today, I realized that Luhan knows how to dance in the rain. 

Today, I discovered a story behind his facade.

Today, I realized that you must not just look at a person's appearance, you need to dig in a little deeper because what's inside is absolutely different and remarkable than the outside.

 

~:~

 

When Wednesday finally kicked in, Ji Eun finally went home with Chanyeol and Suzy because Luhan still has some paperworks to do. Ji Eun wanted to wait for him but he insisted so the girl didn't protest anymore.

There were only a few students left when Luhan finished his goals for that day. He was at the library that time.

He looked around and saw three more students that have stacks of books on their desks.

Luhan sent a message to his driver to pick him up and when he realized that there's still a lot of time, he decided to take a nap.

He slept for ten minutes and when he suddenly woke up, he checked his wristwatch and widened his eyes. His driver should probably be there by now so he quickly shoved his notebooks inside his bag before hanging it loosely on his shoulder.

Luhan walked towards the door and almost bumped himself at someone.

It was Minah.

There was a second of awkwardness and just before Minah could say something, Luhan walked pass her as if nothing happened. It was hard for him to do it of course.

Minah looked back at him and saw Luhan walking away in a hurry. She heaved her shoulders and made her way to the library.

She was about to settle herself on one of the tables when something caught her attention.

Minah cocked her head to the side and realized that it was a phone.

She looked around and saw people who's too busy with their own worlds so she just shrugged and decided to look at it.

However, she was shocked.

 

Luhan was so near to the school's gate when he put his hands inside his pockets and realized that his phone wasn't there. With a sigh, he checked his bag but much to his disappointment, it wasn't there.

And when he realized something, he widened his eyes and quickly ran back to the library.

Everything shattered around him when he saw Minah standing beside the table while staring at something and he had enough sense that it was his phone.

Minah gasped when Luhan suddenly grabbed it away from her as he panted heavily.

She looked at him with wide eyes while Luhan stood motionless.

"Y-your..."

Just before Minah could finish her statement, Luhan ran away from her. 

When Minah finally gathered up her senses, she quickly went outside of the library and saw Luhan aleady a distant away from her.. 

"Wait! Luhan!"

As much as he wanted to look back, he didn't.

His name fits perfectly for her to say but he fought the urge to look back.

Completely jeopardized at what happened and at what she had just seen, Minah walked back dizzily to the library. 

There's something that she needed to know.

Maybe there's still a chance.

His driver was surprised when Luhan finally went inside, catching his breath so his driver decided to just stay quiet and started to drive.

Luhan shoved away his phone and covered his face with his hand. *Dang it.*

 

His phone's wallpaper was his picture with Minah.