A Caring Heart

The Peculiar Girl

"Hey look Myungsoo, I'm a wolf." Ji Eun said as she put her two delicate hands on her head and scrunched up her nose. 

Myungsoo averted his gaze from her and decided to look at the vast sky through the window beside him as he rested his head on the table.

Since he didn't give any reaction, Ji Eun pouted.

"What's the matter with you?" She asked, waiting for him to turn his head to her again but much to her disappointment, the back of his head continued to face her, making Ji Eun heave a sigh.

It's already Friday and it's been almost a week since Myungsoo started to avoid her and ignore Ji Eun's presence. 

And Ji Eun hated it...especially if that person is one of her friends and she doesn't even know the reason why he's doing this. It seems absurd right? When a person started to act as if he doesn't know you and what's more frustrating is the fact that that person didn't give an explanation. So when the bell finally rang for break time, Ji Eun stood up and went towards Myungsoo who's busy fixing something inside his bag. She wants to hang out with him so when she was about to open and say something, she felt a hand on her shoulder, giving her a reason to turn around. It was Luhan's.

"C'mon," He said.

She then, suddenly remembered that she already has a 'prince'.

"Oh...right." Ji Eun mumbled but when she looked back, the seat was already empty and she saw Myungsoo walked out of the door...he already left.

Ji Eun managed to plaster a smile on her face despite the uneasiness and walked away with Luhan.

Is this how the so-called relationship in this world works? Your friends will leave you? 

It's not kind of...right.

 

Minah held her breath as she saw Luhan and Ji Eun wound their way through the tables. She can't still accept the fact that Luhan already has a girlfriend. Her mind holds a lot of question regarding this news and she needs every single detail even though she now doesn't have the right to. 

She wants to know when did it happen.

She wants to know when did they become officially together that she even asked her friends about the exact date but much to her disappointment, they didn't know since they're not in the same class with Luhan and they're completely oblivious about him. Well Minah remembered her first day as a senior and she was surprised at the fact that Luhan transferred back but that time, she was timid and afraid to approach him after what she has done so she just watched him from the distance but never did she notice him walking around everyday with that girl named 'Ji Eun'. Maybe because she missed her but that's not a complete excuse...So she tried to process that maybe the feelings occured when she was in Japan as an exchanged student but if that so, how come she saw him somehow alone at Dongwoon's party? And when they talked, it seems like their feelings still have a connection? Her mind was in full jeopardy because she devoted her time about this but maybe things happened too fast and she was too focused how to get Luhan back that she didn't even notice that he already has someone.

It hurts her to know that Luhan somehow left her hanging in mid-air but then she realized, she did it to him too a few years ago.

With that thought of hers, she tightened her grip around her water bottle as she clenched her jaws.

"Hey are you okay?" Sujin asked, snapping her away from her thoughts.

"Y-yeah" Minah replied and continued to finish her snacks.

 

~:~

 

When it was already their Physics subject, all of the students realized that their teacher for that subject is absent and since there were no available teachers to sub them, their adviser decided to let them join the PE activity of Section B outside. 

Most of the students were satisfied at their adviser's decision but to Ji Eun, she completely disagreed.

"But we already had PE before snacks...I'm tired." She mumbled.

A sign of relief made its way inside Luhan because he knew that Minah would be there so he quickly stood up and went out of the room.

Ji Eun puffed her cheeks and drearily dragged herself as she followed her classmates.

"Tired?" Chanyeol suddenly appeared behind her.

She nodded in response before scratching her nose.

"Oh c'mon you should be thankful. You won't encounter any numbers today since Mr. Yang is absent." He pointed out and patted her shoulder, earning a sigh from Ji Eun.

"Yeaaah, I guess you're right...but my legs already hurt because of playing too much during our PE class a few hours ago."

"Nah you'll be fine." Chanyeol replied as he massaged his knuckles.

"Wow you still have a lot of energy despite our draining activity in PE." 

He smirked. "Well, maybe because I'm glad at the fact that I'll see Minah."

Ji Eun looked at him and a playful grin appeared on her face. "Oh so that's why..."

When they finally reached the school's field, the Volleyball net was already settled and Mr. Lee, which is their PE teacher, was already dividing them into four groups.

After a few minutes, Ji Eun found herself standing in front of the net, waiting for the ball to be released by their opponent. She was in group one along with a few of her classmates while the other group they're battling against was group two and guess what, Luhan's there. Ji Eun was completely tired, not to mention the scorching sun at that moment and she was expecting to be teamed up with Luhan so she may somehow have a motivation but there she was, battling against him.

The game went smoothly and Ji Eun tried her best to focus but much to her relief, the ball somehow doesn't find its way towards her so she let her teammates do the job while she's just standing there, pretending as if her full attention was on it.

Myungsoo was in group four and since it's still not their turn, some of s were doing other activities while he just settled himself on the grassy ground and have some talk with his close friends in Section B. They formed a circle and started to have a conversation.

Every now and then, he would take a quick glance at Ji Eun. It was hard for him to avoid her but what could he do? The more he attaches himself to her, the more he finds ways to fall in love with her and the more he'll get hurt. 

He was kind of like Minah...he was surprised at the sudden news and he was completely oblivious how it all happened. He was scolding himself for being too slow to realize his feelings so in the end, he avoided her and he doesn't even know the reason why. Yes, he knew it was harsh but he's just trying to protect his heart from falling even though he can see that Ji Eun was hurt because of his sudden change...he then, came to a conclusion...he was selfish. He was afraid to be broken that's why he focused his attention on guarding his heart and be obscure to the people around him. It was easy for him to accept that he's selfish because he knew that he's somehow making a self defense from the shattering of his heart.

He was somehow mad at her and he doesn't even know why but then he realized, maybe he's just mad at himself.

His plan was easy to say but hard to do...he told himself that he'll gradually detach himself from her and make sure that the feelings will go away and once it did, maybe he can approach her again without this tingly feeling and without pain.

Chanyeol was in group three and since it's still not their turn, he just watched the game and tried to focus his eyes on Minah but somehow, there were times that his eyes will glue itself on Ji Eun. He found it funny because he can see that she's still not used in playing Volleyball but her face showed determination. 

After a few minutes, Ji Eun's eyes were focused on the ball and when she realized that it's going towards her in a swift movement, she quickly jumped and gave it a hard spike, completely glad at the fact that she hit it but however, the way she landed her feet on the ground was inappropriate, causing her to stumble down. 

Since Luhan was on the base of the group 2, he just ignored her since she's already standing up when he heard someone coughed behind him. If it's just  a random student, he'll be oblivious but he knew that Minah was behind. And Minah is not just any other girl for him.

Without hesitation, he turned around and saw Minah coughing while her hand was on her chest.  

"You okay?" He asked, trying hard not to sound so concerned.

Minah, on the other hand, was completely surprised at his sudden action and she can't deny the fact that her heart quickened its beat.

While that moment was happening, Ji Eun tried to stand up but she suddenly felt a throbbing pain somewhere in her ankle, causing her to fall on the ground for the second time. From afar, Myungsoo suddenly stood up from the grassy ground...he was watching her from the distance and his body automatically stood up when he saw what happened.

"Hey are you okay?" Yuri, wh is a section B student and Ji Eun's teammate, asked.

Ji Eun pursed her lips as she felt the pain again. "I-I don't think so."

Hearing her words, Yuri crouched down. "Where does it hurt?"

Just before Ji Eun could make a reply, Yuri touched her ankle, causing Ji Eun to wince.

Myungsoo wants to run towards her and make sure that she's alright but there was something pulling him away so he just stood there, dumbfounded and just before he could make up his mind to go, he saw Chanyeol stood up from his seat and ran towards Ji Eun. Once again, he cursed himself for being slow. He admits that he's the top of the class but when it comes to matters of the heart, he was a nincompoop. 

"She sprained her ankle, sir." Yuri informed, helping Ji Eun to stand up.

"You need to go to the clinic." Their teacher said. "Accompany her Yur--"

"I'll do it." Chanyeol said out of the blue and removed Ji Eun's arms from Yuri's shoulders and transferred it to his while their teacher nodded in agreement.

"Luhan should be the one to do it..." Yuri whispered and gave Chanyeol a teasing look which he shrugged away.

The both of them slowly made their away from the field and Chanyeol needed to squat a little since his and Ji Eun's heights are total opposites.

 

"Here," Luhan said, offering a water bottle to Minah which she hesitantly accepted.

Luhan looked at her as she drank when someone called his name, causing the two of them to turn around.

"Where were you? Your girlfriend just sprained her ankle." Himchan, who is also a student in section A, said.

Completely clueless at what just happened, he wrinkled his brow. "O-oh...where is she?"

"She's already at the clinic."

Himchan clicked his tongue and gave him a look as if to say he's not taking care of his very own girl. Luhan just shrugged just before Himchan walked away.

Minah wiped using the back of her hand, somehow embarassed at Himchan because it looked as if Luhan was busy with her that's why he forgot the existence of Ji Eun but somehow, she was jubilant because of what Luhan did.

And for Luhan, on the other hand, was so busy with Minah because in that few minutes with her, he felt as if they're the only people that's why the events that happened around him became obscure. As much as he wants to stay beside her, he somehow felt an urge that he should go to the clinic and check Ji Eun's condition so he gave Minah a nod and walked away.

 

~:~

 

"There you go." The nurse said after wrapping a bandage around her sprained ankle.

"Thanks...uhh can I stay here for a while?" Ji Eun asked and much to her relief, the nurse gave her a smile with a nod.

"Thanks again..." Ji Eun mumbled and looked at the nurse who walked towards her working table.

Chanyeol was settled beside Ji Eun on the couch and he watched her as she gently touched the bandage.

"Does it still hurt?" He questioned.

"Kind of," 

He was relief that Ji Eun is alright now so he decided to go back at the field since he wants to play or maybe he desires to catch a glimpse of Minah but when he stood up from his seat, he felt one of Ji Eun's hands wrapped itself around his wrist.

"Please stay..." Ji Eun requested as if she's a beggar asking for alms.

Chanyeol looked at her with a wrinkled brow but when he looked at her eyes, he knew that she really wants someone to be with her at that time.

"Please...I don't like being alone again." She mumbled.

As much as he wants to go back, there was something inside Chanyeol that made him sit back again beside her and plaster a smile on his face.

Seeing his action, Ji Eun felt relief. "Thank you."

He gave her a nod, telling it's no big deal. "You don't want to be alone?"

She nodded as she bit her lower lip.

"Why? Sometimes, it's comforting to be alone." 

"That's absolutely false." She pointed out.

Chanyeol inhaled deeply and crossed his arms above his chest. "What makes you say that then?"

Ji Eun looked at the nurse who's somehow arranging the countless papers on the working table before settling her eyes on the ground. "In Fantasia, I'm always alone. It made me sick to my stomach." She said quietly but made sure that Chanyeol heard it...and he did.

"Oh..." He mumbled and he can't deny the fact that her face was basked in loneliness.

"I actually don't have true friends there. I tell you, it's really lonesome to know that there is no one who'll pick you up in case you stumble." 

Not having the words to say, Chanyeol just quieted himself.

"But when I went here...it felt like I got the attention of the world." Ji Eun chuckled at her statement, earning a smile from Chanyeol.

"When I first saw you along with Suzy, you're just one of the millions of people out there that I see everyday but when we created this bond between us, you guys somehow stood out the most in the sea of people." 

Hearing her words, Chanyeol's lips pull into the faintest imprint of a smile.

"Because of you guys, I somehow forgot the feeling of being alone. So...thank you...not just today but for everything." Ji Eun said and gave him an assuring smile.

"Well to wrap it up, you want us to be there beside you always because you don't want to be alone." 

She nodded with those crescent eyes of hers and Chanyeol chuckled. He was completely unaware that he's starting to find her eyes adorable.

Their moment suddenly faded when the door suddenly opened, revealing Luhan.

And somehow, Chanyeol's ecstasy shriveled.

He sighed deeply and stood up while Luhan just stood behind, there was somehing uneasy inside him when he saw the both of them but he didn't want to acknowledge that thought of his.

Chanyeol patted her head. "See you later."

She nodded at his statement and watched him walked towards the door.

When he was nowhere to be seen, Luhan went to her and gazed at the bandage. "Sorry for not being there a while ago..."

"It's okay." Ji Eun replied.

"Do you want something to drink or...eat?" He asked.

"That would be nice."

"I'll buy you something at the cafeteria so...just stay here alright?" 

She nodded, earning a small smile from Luhan before he walked away.

Ji Eun had to admit that she was somehow disappointed when Chanyeol became her rescuer because she was expecting her prince to be her knight in shining armor but that's life anyway...it doesn't meet our expectations.

But however, when she and Chanyeol decided to talk a while ago, she became glad that Chanyeol was the one who helped her because somehow, the two of them were starting to be open at each other's personalities even their flaws. 


Greetings!

I was surprised at the fact that the last chapter had a lot of comments because I thought some already forgot this story because I didn't update for a while but dancing goblins! There were a lot of comments! Thank you so much! I still have to study so sorry if there are errors. My day is in full jeopardy but I somehow managed to update. God bless you! 

Wonderfully yours,

FindingSunshine