Care

The Peculiar Girl

It was still early when Ji Eun’s eyes flung open. The sunlight is still not there to glow through the window since it was still six o’clock in the morning. She rubbed her eyes as she yawn and gazed at Suzy who’s sleeping safe and sound, probably she’s still in her dreamland. When her feet landed on the floor, she felt something itchy on her knee, making her bend to look at it. Ji Eun widened her eyes when she saw a band aid plastered on her left knee.

Wrinkling her brow, she managed to recall what happened last night and how Chanyeol piggybacked her even though he’s frustrated. She sighed and bit her lower lip as she carefully touched the band aid with the tip of her index finger, wondering who put it there.

Ji Eun gently stood up, thinking if the scar will sting when she walked but much to her relief, she didn’t feel anything. With a smile, she went out of the room when she heard some noises coming from downstairs.

She puffed her cheeks and went down, realizing that the noise is coming from the kitchen plus the smell of a morning breakfast. Her lips curled up into a grin as she walked towards, seeing Chanyeol cooking.

“Good morning Chanyeol,” She greeted with a raspy voice since she just woke up.

After flipping the Bacon, he turned his head and saw Ji Eun stood before the sink, washing her face.

“Hey,” He replied.

Ji Eun wiped her face using the edge of her night shirt.

“Preparing breakfast at six o’clock?” She asked.

He just shrugged, putting the Bacon on a plate. “Nah, I just woke up early today so I decided to make breakfast already.”

Ji Eun nodded in understanding and started to put some plates on the dining table. Chanyeol somehow glanced at her and averted his gaze to her left knee, wondering if it still hurts.

“How’s your scar?” He questioned nonchalantly.

Ji Eun stopped from her tracks and looked at it. “It doesn’t sting anymore.”

“Good,” Chanyeol murmured and gathered some eggs from the refrigerator.

After putting the plates on the table, Ji Eun glanced at him. “Are you the one who put a band aid on my scar?”

Chanyeol shook his head as he closed the refrigerator. “Suzy did.”

She nodded at his response and after finishing arranging the table, she took a seat on one of the chairs and looked at Chanyeol whose back was facing her since he’s cooking. Ji eun cleared and inhaled deeply. “Thanks for yesterday…”

Hearing her words, he didn’t turn around to look at her but he probably smiled. “No problem,”

Suzy suddenly entered the kitchen with a gloomy face since she just woke up but seeing the breakfast on the table, her eyes turned into like crescent moons as she clasped her hands together. “Yay! Breakfast time!”

She quickly took a seat beside Ji Eun while Chanyeol sat across her and the three of them started to savor their morning breakfast.

“We’re going to the mall today.” Chanyeol informed, breaking the silence.

Suzy cocked her head to the side while munching a piece of Bacon. “After this?”

He nodded. “Yeah, that’s why when you’re done, you should change your clothes.”

Suzy saluted him with a grin when she wrinkled her brow. “Wait, why will we go there? Bonding time?”

Chanyeol shrugged after taking a sip from his glass of water. “Sort of, but we’re going to buy a phone for Ji Eun.”

Hearing her name, Ji Eun stopped herself from eating and looked at him, clueless. “Huh?”

“We’re going to buy you a phone that’s why we can track you if ever you get lost again.” He replied.

She doesn’t have an idea what a phone is so she just stayed quiet and continued to eat her breakfast while Suzy, on the other hand, gave Chanyeol a questioning look. “Do you have money?”

“I talked to mom on the phone a while ago and decided to tell her what happened last night so I suggested if we could buy Ji Eun a phone.” He responded.

“What did mom say?” Suzy asked.

“Well, she agreed and told me to use the credit card she hid in one of the drawers.”

Suzy nodded in understanding and grinned. “Yay we’ll go to the mall!”

 

“Here, you can wear this bonnet.” Suzy said, handing Ji Eun a yellow bonnet. She was the one who prepared the clothes that Ji Eun will wear and much to her relief, Ji Eun agreed.

Ji Eun was wearing a plain violet shirt and denims while Suzy wore exactly the same but hers has the color of orange. The two of them looked at the mirror with a wide grin and then they high fived each other before going out of their room.

Chanyeol was already outside when Suzy locked the gate together with Ji Eun. “Okay, let’s go now.”

“Where’s the mall?” Ji Eun asked as she squint her eyes because of the light of the rising sun.

 Suzy shrugged and looked at the road ahead of them. “It’s kind of away from here but don’t worry, we’re going to take a bus.”

Hearing her reply, Ji Eun wrinkled her brow. “A bus?”

Chanyeol rolled his eyes as he hid his hand inside his pocket. “Don’t you have a bus in your world?”

She vehemently shook her head and gave them a questioning look.

“Do you see big rectangular moving things while we’re at the car whenever we go to school?” Suzy asked, trying to explain it to Ji Eun.

Ji Eun widened her eyes and nodded. “Yes! I do remember those. They’re bigger than cars.”

Suzy chuckled. “That’s what you call a bus.”

“Ohh…” Ji Eun said, finally getting what she meant.

After walking a few minutes with nothing but a light breeze for company, they finally arrived at the waiting area. There were only a few people there but they still decided to stand up than to sit and after a few seconds, a bus came to a stop in front of them.

Ji Eun happily ran inside together with Suzy while Chanyeol stopped and fished out his bus card from his pocket.

Suzy was the one who chose where they will sit and she let Ji Eun settle beside the window since she knew that it’s her first time while Suzy sat beside Ji Eun.

Chanyeol took a seat on the other chair that’s beside their seats and looked at Ji Eun whose eyes were glimmering as if she’s a kid who’s going at the Lotte world for the first time. He sighed and shook his head. *This girl surely is clueless.*

“Oh look at that! There’s a bus too!” Ji Eun chimed, pointing at the bus beside them through the window. Suzy just chuckled at her expression and nodded, trying to get along with Ji Eun’s excitement.

Chanyeol ruffled his hair in annoyance and signaled them to be quiet and the two of them quickly obeyed him.

After minutes of riding the bus, Chanyeol looked at the world outside through the window, realizing that they’re finally in their destination. He nodded and stood up and the two girls quickly followed him behind.

They started to walk again while Ji Eun kept looking at the peculiar place around her. “Is this the mall?”

Suzy chuckled and shook her head. “Nope, we still need to walk to go there.”

Ji Eun followed the two behind as she looked at the busy streets of Seoul. “Are we there yet?”

“Not yet.” Suzy replied.

After a few seconds, Ji Eun tried to break the silence again. “Are we there yet?”

Chanyeol huffed in annoyance and looked at her. “Just keep quiet then we’ll tell you if we’re already there.”

“Alright,” Ji Eun replied and did what he said.

After a few minutes of walking, they finally reached their destination and entered the building.

“Now we’re here.” Suzy informed while Ji Eun’s mouth gaped in awe as she look at the countless stuffs inside. “So this is the mall…”

Suzy chuckled and nodded her head. “Yup, this is where you buy some clothes, phones and blahblahblah.”

When the three of them walked pass a store of Etude house, Suzy quickly grabbed Ji Eun’s wrist and lead her inside, surprising Ji Eun. “Here, this is where I buy my make-ups.”

Ji Eun cocked her head to the side and looked at the adorable things rested on a shelf. “What’s this?”

“It’s a lipstick.” Suzy responded and busied herself looking at the Mascaras.

Chanyeol looked at them from the outside and huffed in disbelief, telling himself the he shouldn’t have brought Suzy with them since this girl has a big fandom when it comes to shopping.

He ruffled his hair in annoyance and went inside. “Look Suzy, we’re here to buy a phone for Ji Eun. Not a make-up. You think if she got lost, we can track her by using a Mascara?!”

Suzy pouted and put back the thing on the shelf she’s holding. “What? We’re just doing some window shopping.”

He rolled his eyes and grabbed her wrist before dragging her outside while Ji Eun followed behind.

“Eish. I should’ve brought a handcuff.” Chanyeol muttered.

When they reached the second floor, Suzy’s eyes quickly glimmered when she saw a store where cute dresses can be seen, making her lips curled up into a grin. She was about to go there with a happy face when she felt a hand on her wrist.

“Not. Now.” Chanyeol ordered as he glared at her.

She heaved her shoulders and did what he said while Ji Eun stayed clueless. She kept on following behind with fear that she might get lost again.

The three of them finally reached a store where phones can be seen and Chanyeol sighed in success.

He told Ji Eun to pick what she wants and he let Suzy accompany her, whispering that she should make sure that the price is not that very high or else, Soo Ri will get mad at him.

Suzy scrunched her nose and placed her hand on her waist. “Oh c’mon, mom’s a doctor. She probably has a lot of money.”

He didn’t give her a reply and handed her the credit card. “I’ll just sit here and wait okay?”

Suzy nodded as she took it from his hand. “Okay,”

Suzy lead Ji Eun to one of the glassed shelves and let her pick what she likes. “So, what do you like?”

Ji Eun pouted as she wrinkled her brow. “What’s a phone anyway?”

Hearing her words, Suzy sighed. “I’ll explain it to you later. Just pick first.”

“I don’t like it.” Ji Eun muttered with a frown.

Suzy chuckled and lead her to the next glassed shelf. “There,”

Ji Eun shook her head and walked towards the next shelf while Suzy followed behind.

Ji Eun heaved her shoulders and shook her head. “I don’t know what to choose.”

Having an idea, Suzy widened her eyes. “I know! Just buy a phone that’s the same like mine!”

 

Chanyeol waited for half hour when Suzy and Ji Eun finally went back with a paper bag.

He raised his brow. “What did you choose?”

Suzy bit her lower lip and gave him a slight smile. “Oh…uhh…I bought her a phone just like mine.”

He stayed quiet at first as he tried to remember what her phone looks like and when he finally succeeded, he widened his eyes. “Please don’t tell me you bought a Samsung s3.”

Ji Eun cocked her head to the side and glanced at the paper bag she’s holding. “We bought it.” She nonchalantly replied.

Hearing her response, Chanyeol ruffled his hair and glared at Suzy. “You do the explaining when mom gets home understood?”

Suzy nodded with a pout and followed behind when they started to walk.

They walked pass again a store where cute clothes can be seen and Suzy quickly grabbed Ji Eun’s arm and lead her inside.

“Let’s buy some clothes!” Suzy chimed as she scanned every shirt in the left side.

Chanyeol looked at them from the outside and huffed in annoyance as he drearily dragged himself inside. “Can we just go now?”

Suzy vehemently shook her head as she brushed her fingers on a blue shirt to check the texture of its cloth. “No way, we’re already here at the mall so it would be a loss if I didn’t buy anything.”

He rolled his eyes. “Wow, you have some money?”

She gave him a stern look and nodded. “Uh-huh, I brought my own credit card.”

“Eish. You really know how to annoy me.” Chanyeol said and saw Ji Eun looking at the clothes with a wide smile. He heaved his shoulders, thinking that Ji Eun is somehow slowly getting addicted to shopping too and he blamed Suzy for that.

“You want this?” Suzy asked as she took the shirt where Ji Eun’s eyes landed.

Ji Eun widened her eyes and nodded. “Well it’s cute an—“

“Okay, I’ll buy this for you then.” Suzy chimed, surprising Ji Eun.

It took them an hour just to buy five clothes and it made Chanyeol frustrated since he waited for a while.

He sighed in relief when the two of them were finally finish. “Okay, let’s go now.”

The three of them we’re finally walking when Ji Eun stopped in front of a store where they sell some charm accessories. Her eyes quickly glimmered when she saw a beautiful bracelet that made her smile.

Chanyeol stopped from his tracks when he realized that Ji Eun is not beside Suzy anymore.

“Where’s Ji Eun?” He curiously asked.

Suzy turned around and saw her. “Oh there she is.”

The both of them dragged their feet towards her.

“I told you, no more window shopping.” Chanyeol muttered.

Suzy lightly elbowed him and looked at the bracelet that caught Ji Eun’s attention. “Wow it’s so pretty.”

“I know…it reminds me of a fairytale.” Ji Eun murmured with sparkling eyes.

Chanyeol annoyingly glanced at the thing and rolled his eyes.

“You want me to buy that for you?” Suzy asked, surprising Ji Eun.

“Really?”

“Yeah, wait here.” Suzy said and went inside the store, leaving Ji Eun and Chanyeol outside.

After a few minutes, Suzy came back with an embarrass face.

She let out an awkward laugh. “Uh…sorry…it’s a bit pricey…hehe.”

Ji Eun chuckled and patted her shoulder. “It’s okay,”

After getting out of the mall, Chanyeol suggested if they could stop at a café to have some snacks and the two girls agreed.

They settled themselves on the table behind the windows and Chanyeol was the one who ordered.

Suzy placed the paper bag on the table and took out the box of Ji Eun’s phone. “Okay, let’s check out your phone.”

“Alright then,” Ji Eun murmured in excitement as Suzy opened it.

“If you have a phone, we can still talk to each other even we’re not together.” Suzy said as she the phone.

“Really? How?” Ji Eun asked, completely clueless.

“Simple, if you have a number of that person, you can save it in your phone then you can call that person. Here, let me show you.” Suzy fished out her own phone from her pocket and decided to call Hana.

She pressed it on her ears while Ji Eun cocked her head to the side, observing.

“Hello Hana?” Suzy asked, making sure that it was her friend who picked up the call.

She quickly clicked the loudspeaker so that Ji Eun will hear that’s why when Hana finally responded, Ji Eun’s eyes widened in awe. “That’s brilliant!”

Chanyeol returned his wallet inside his pocket and gently carried the tray before walking towards the table. He saw Suzy giving some explanations to Ji Eun and that made him chuckle a bit because Ji Eun is way too clueless.

“Okay, it’s here…” Chanyeol said as he placed the tray on the table and took a seat across them.

The girls just ignored him and continued to focus their attentions on the phone.

“Then you can click it…Okay smile…one, two, three.” Suzy said and took a picture of her together with Ji Eun.

Ji Eun’s eyes glimmered while her lips curled up into a smile. “Amazing…”

Suzy started to eat while Ji Eun kept on fiddling her phone.

“Chanyeol, smile…one two…”

He furrowed his brow and blocked the camera using his hand. “Shut up and eat.”

Ji Eun put down her phone and grunted. “Party pooper…”

When she finally finished eating, Ji Eun started to take pictures again. She took countless pictures of Suzy and her and there were also pictures of Chanyeol while he was drinking while some where blocked by his hands.

Suzy grabbed the phone from Ji Eun’s hand. “Sit beside Chanyeol, I’ll be the one who’ll take a picture.”

Ji Eun happily nodded and settled herself beside Chanyeol while Chanyeol on the other hand, ruffled his hair in annoyance. “I don’t want to…”

Suzy pouted and did some puppy eyes. “Please…just once?”

He sighed in defeat and nodded. “Just one…”

Suzy chuckled and taught Ji Eun how to do a peace sign.

“One, two, three.” Suzy said and smiled after clicking it. “There you go,”

Ji Eun returned to her seat beside Suzy and look at the picture. She did a peace sign while Chanyeol smiled. “I didn’t know you can smile Chanyeol.”

“Whatever,” Chanyeol muttered as he finished his slice of cake.

 

~:~

 

When the three of them finally got home, they decided to take a nap since they’re all tired and Suzy suggested if they could sleep in the living room and much to her relief, Chanyeol nodded.

Ji Eun gathered some thick blankets and went downstairs and spread it on the floor with the help of Suzy.

Chanyeol decided to sleep on the couch but he thought that he should finish ‘The Giver’ first since there are only two chapters left.

Ji Eun went back to her room to get her notebook from her bag before settling herself again beside Suzy.

Suzy quickly drifted to sleep while Ji Eun on the other hand, opened her notebook and decided to write something.

Chanyeol stopped himself from reading when he saw Ji Eun sat up with a notebook and a pen.

“What’re you doing?” He asked.

She looked at him and gave a grin. “This is the notebook where I can keep track of myself while here in this world.”

He nodded in understanding and focused his attention on the book again.

 

Today, Suzy, Chanyeol and I went to the Mall. It is a place where we can buy some stuffs like phone,   clothes and accessories. It is seriously gigantic and I have to admit that it’s better than the markets in Fantasia. I saw a bracelet that reminded me of fairytales but its price is very high that's why we didn’t buy it. I had so much fun with them, making me realize that you cannot enjoy the pleasures of life alone because some things are meant to be enjoyed by a group of people. Well, it’s true that you can have joy even when you’re alone but complete happiness can only be found if you’re with people whom you are close with. Today, I learned that it’s great to have friends because they will be with you as you walk in this life’s road. They’ll be with you to enjoy the pleasures and they’ll still be with you if times are hard. I am glad to tell that I’m very grateful to have these people beside me while I’m in this peculiar world.

Even though they already knew that I’m not from their world, they didn’t treat me like an outcast, making me feel as if I actually live here in this world. Today, I also learned that before telling to yourself that you’re alone, try to observe first and then you’ll realize that there are people who actually care for you.

 

Her lips pulled up into a smile and she turned to look at Chanyeol who’s being obscure at that moment.

“Chanyeol?”

Hearing his name, he put down his book and gave her a questioning look. “What?”

“Can you give some things that are needed to be done in order to be a good person?” She asked.

“Let’s see…giving some money, foods or clothes to a beggar.” He replied and saw Ji Eun wrote what he said on her notebook.

“What else?”

He fiddled his fingers on the book and tried to think another one. “Being sincere to the things you say to a person.”

She wrinkled her brow and gave him a questioning look. “What’s the meaning of sincere anyway?”

“When you do or say something out of sincerity, you really mean it with all your heart.” He replied.

She smiled and wrote it on her notebook.

Chanyeol wrinkled his brow and looked at what she's doing. "Are you writing the things that you should do?"

Ji Eun vehemently nodded her head while writing. 

"Well you should write there...avoid Luhan." He added, earning a glare from Ji Eun.

"Why should I do that?" She sneered.

"So that you won't get hurt." He mumbled and fixed his attention again on his book.

 

~:~

 

When evening finally came, the two girls just finished taking a night bath and were now settled on their own beds. Ji Eun checked her knee and decided to put a new band aid.

Remembering something, she looked at Suzy who’s currently busy texting. “Suzy?”

“Mm?” Suzy mumbled, not even averting her gaze to Ji Eun.

“Thank you for cleaning my scar yesterday.” She replied with a smile, trying to say it with full sincerity but to her surprise, Suzy furrowed her brow. “Huh?”

 “You’re the one who put a band aid on my scar right?” Ji Eun asked in a confused way.

Hearing her words, Suzy scrunched her nose and looked at the ceiling, trying to remember what happened last night. “But I didn’t do it. I took a night bath and then when I went here, you’re already asleep. Maybe Chanyeol did.”

Ji Eun bit her lip and nodded even though she didn’t get what she meant.

 

~:~

 

The clock strike to seven o’clock in the morning and the three of them were already outside. Chanyeol was locking the door while Suzy readied their bikes.

Ji Eun pouted and looked at the two bikes in front of her. “Which one is mine?”

Suzy stopped from her tracks and awkwardly scratched her head. “Oh, we only have two bikes. Well…you should ride wi—“

“She’ll ride with me.” Chanyeol interrupted after securely locking the door and the gate of their house.

Suzy nodded and glanced at Ji Eun. “Yeah you should ride with him since his bike is more comfortable than mine.”

“Alright,” Ji Eun said and went beside Chanyeol’s bike.

Suzy already settled herself while Chanyeol put his bag inside the bike’s basket before settling himself.

After that, Ji Eun dwarfed the chair behind him and wrapped her arms around his waist.

“Let’s go,” Suzy announced and started to pedal her bike while Chanyeol did the same.

The morning breeze touched their skins in a comfortable way while the sound of cicadas was clearly heard. Ji Eun watched a glowing sphere rose slowly into the dull morning sky, casting sunbeams to every corner of the horizon.

The feeling somehow made her nostalgic, remembering her morning days in Fantasia, giving her a reason to smile. Her left hand let go of his waist and she slowly stretched it, feeling the wind.

Chanyeol clicked his tongue, taking a quick glance to his side. “Hold on,”

Ji Eun pouted and wrapped her arms again around his waist and looked at the streets they passed by as if they’re chasing time.

They arrived at their school after twenty-five minutes and Suzy was catching her breath while locking her bike along with Chanyeol.

“That was fun!” Ji Eun said, stretching her hands up high.

Chanyeol just ignored her and continued to fix his attention on his bike.

Ji Eun turned around, wrinkling her brow. “Where’s Suzy?”

He shrugged and looked to his left, seeing Suzy with a boy. “There she is,”

Ji Eun averted her gaze to where he’s looking and bit her lower lip. “Is that her boyfriend?”

Chanyeol’s ears perked up as he glanced at her. “Her what?”

She widened her eyes and scratched her head. “Haven’t she told you?”

Chanyeol raised his brow and shook his head in hesitation. “Eish. That girl.”

Ji Eun sighed as she heaved her shoulders. “Let’s go,”

Together, they went to their classroom and much to their relief, their teacher is still not there.

Ji Eun gasped before taking a seat on her chair, realizing that the chair on her left side was empty, giving her an idea that Luhan is absent.

“Mornin’ Ji Eun,” Myungsoo greeted with a smile, disturbing Ji Eun from her thoughts.

She looked at him and gave a nod before resting her elbows on the table. With a sigh, she glanced at the empty chair beside her and it seems like she felt incomplete because she knew that this day won’t make her smile.

Their third subject was History and all of them were at the library since their teacher told them to have a one hour research about the new topic. Ji Eun settled herself on one of the tables along with Myungsoo.

He gathered a lot of books while Ji Eun just buried her face on her arms, making him tapped her shoulders. She looked at him and gave Myungsoo a questioning look.

“You should write now. Mr. Jung will get mad if you didn’t pass anything later.”

She heaved her shoulders with a pout. “I’m not in the mood…I’ll just copy yours.”

Myungsoo chuckled and shook his head. “Okay, I’ll do the reading while you do the writing.”

Ji Eun nodded and did what he said.

 

The both of them were talking as they made their way to the cafeteria when Ji Eun realized that Suzy is with her boyfriend again when she saw her with him settled on one of the tables. It would seem absurd if she interrupted them so she decided to take her snacks with Myungsoo since the two of them became kind of friends.

After taking their foods, they settled themselves on one of the table and started to savor what they bought. Every now and then, Ji Eun would glance at Suzy. “Too bad…I think starting from now, I won’t take snacks with Suzy anymore…”

Myungsoo scrunched his brow. “Huh?”

“She already has a boyfriend.” Ji Eun muttered as she heaved her shoulders.

Not getting what she meant since he doesn’t know Suzy, he just shrugged and continued to eat his snacks.

Throughout the day, Myungsoo became Ji Eun’s companion, causing the two of them to become friends. She thought that today will be gloomy and sad for her but much to her relief, Myungsoo was there to accompany her and let her meet happiness instead of dreariness.

When dismissal finally came, Chanyeol waited for Ji Eun outside the classroom and after a few minutes, she stepped out with Myungsoo, making Chanyeol greet him with a nod. “Let’s go,”

She tightened her grip on the strap of her bag and looked at Myungsoo. “Okay, I need to go now. See you tomorrow.”

Myungsoo smiled and patted her head. “Looks like you’re okay now. Bye.”

She chuckled and watched him as he walked away.

Chanyeol raised his brow as he looked at the two.

“What’s with you and Myungsoo?” He asked as they walked towards his bike.

Ji Eun just shrugged. “He’s my new friend.”

“Oh really,” Chanyeol said in an exaggerated tone.

“Yeah, since Suzy is busy with her boyfriend. Anyway, speaking of Suzy, did you talk to her?” She asked.

He sighed, unlocking his bike. “Yeah, I actually scolded her.”

She wrinkled her brow, cocking her head to the side. “Why?”

“For not telling me first.” He replied and settled himself on his bike.

“Wait, where is she? Shouldn’t we wait for her?” She questioned while Chanyeol just shrugged.

“Nah, she said that we should come home first since she’s busy.”

Ji Eun nodded with a sigh before settling herself on the chair behind him.

While the two of them were on their way, Ji Eun looked at the ground. “When you’re in a relationship, does it mean that you and your friend will be separated because you now have someone you love?”

Chanyeol scrunched his nose as he looked at the road ahead of them. “Of course not, but when you’re in a relationship, it’ll somehow cause you to have less time with your friends. Anyway, it’s based in my own opinion.”

She sighed and looked at the blue sky that was being slowly replaced by a purple veil.

“Why did you ask?” Chanyeol questioned.

She just shrugged. “It’s just that Suzy doesn’t have time with me today.”

“Oh so you’re a jealous friend…” Chanyeol teased.

Ji Eun just rolled her eyes when Chanyeol suddenly pedaled his bike with speed, making her chuckle.

“This is fun!” She shouted while her hair was being blown by the wind.

Chanyeol just smiled as he felt her arms tightened around him.