Not now

Silly Bets

Sandara Park’s POV

My heat hammered against my chest as I sat in the cab on the way home as I violently shook in my seat. I had done it, I had given it to him. I should have felt good about it, but how could I? I had stooped to his level and at the same time I had ended the one thing in my life that I whole heartedly cherished- even if it was all a sham. My phone continued to vibrate beside me, it had been doing that for the past fifteen minutes.

Of course I knew who was calling. I would be an idiot if I didn’t.

Min Ho’s face remained on my screen, those two options below tempting me to answer his call or to stay strong and ignore him. I turned it off, not wanting to even give myself the chance to slip up.

The silence that followed was soothing, like a force field keeping me out of his reach. I didn’t know why he even bothered to try and call me. He was supposed to be finished with me. We both had our fun didn’t we? We both got we wanted in the end didn’t we?

I squeezed my eyes closed and took a deep breath in, making a feeble attempt to relax. I focused my attention on the bright city lights that were a blur as the car zoomed through the streets of Seoul. The weird ahjummas that were yelling at kids on the streets. The endless clusters of business men and women powerwalking away in their office attire as they yacked on their phones. The randomly placed food stalls with jammed up lines. The city was thriving, forever moving, changing and adapting.

The cab pulled up outside of my building a minute later. I thanked the ahjussi and paid him before getting out of the vehicle, ready to crawl into bed. I took my time getting up to my apartment as I didn’t feel rushed in the slightest.

I wondered if I should go over to Bommie’s place for the night, but then I remembered that she was out of town for the day- visiting her grandfather. I hadn’t called her about Min Ho yet and I didn’t know when would be a good time to tell her. Surely she would throw a fit over the matter and probably kill him. It would be best to not mention anything for a while.

I pushed in the code and opened the door, pulling the hair tie out of my hair at the same time. I looked up from the ground once I slipped off my shoes.

The hair tie fell to the ground with an echoing tap.

“Get out”

Min Ho was standing two metres away from me, his arms folded across his chest, his eyes grave. His lips were in a tight, straight line. He looked like he had aged a little, his skin a shade paler than his norm, his jaw hard.

My heart crumbled a bit at the sight, but I held my ground.

“Get out” I repeated myself, managing to not stutter.

No one moved, no one said anything. The whole complex was quiet. The noisy neighbours upstairs didn’t make a peep, the buzz of life down on the streets didn’t reach us either. It was as if the world had stopped again, just for our showdown. Just for our encounter.

“How did you find out?” He asked in that low tone that I had often revelled for.

“Does it really matter how I found out?” I mumbled, looking off to the side.

It was painful standing before him, I longed for him. I longed to be in his arms, to cry in those strong arms of his. But I couldn’t, not when he was the reason I wanted to cry. I heard him run a hand through his hair and stuff the other in the pocket of his blazer.

“I can explain Dara-”

“I’m sure you can” I scoffed, annoyed that he was trying to defend his actions anymore.

He narrowed his eyes at me, glaring. I had been rude and I was unapologetic about it.

“It’s not what you think Dara” He sighed with exhaustion.

“I don’t want to hear your rehearsed, reused story jerk. I just want you to get out of my house, you aren’t welcome here anymore” I snarled, shrugging off my vest.

I sauntered past him to my room, finding a hanger for the discarded article of clothing. I wasn’t going to waste my time standing around talking to him, eventually he would get the point.

“Can you stop being so stubborn and listen to me babe?”

“You don’t get to call me that anymore” I snapped, growing more and more impatient with every second he overstayed his welcome.

“Well what does my girlfriend want me to call her huh?” He replied with just as much attitude.

That did it.

“What the hell makes you think I’m your girlfriend anymore Lee Min Ho?” I faced him, fearless.

After what I had done, it should have been evident that we were over. I was sure he knew that, he wasn’t a person who lacked in common sense when it came to things like this.

“So you want to break up without even letting me explain myself?” He asked in that dangerous tone of his. That tone that he only uses when he’s about to lose it.

“I thought I made it clear, I don’t want to hear it. I know about everything Lee Min Ho”

“Can you stop calling me freaking Lee Min Ho? You know how much I hate it when you act as if I’m a stranger”

After all of the conniving things he had done, he still had the nerve to say that. It infuriated me.

“But isn’t that what you are?” I laughed manically.

“What?” He closed came closer, so that we were invading each other’s comfort zones again.

“That’s what you are to me Lee Min Ho. A stranger. You got me to fall in love with the character that you played. I knew the character that you played well, but as for you, the actor, I know nothing” I blabbered on like a mad woman. I had truly lost it because of him.

Min Ho was such a great actor. When the words left my mouth it really looked like his heart dropped, as if I had wounded him. I disgusted me, how good he was at pretending. I would have fallen for this over and over and over again. He almost had me taking back what I said. Almost.

“You’re wrong Dara, you don’t know how wrong you are” He edged closer.

“What? Does the truth make you feel remorse? Does the finally have a conscious?”

He put his hands on my shoulders and I jumped.

“What the hell are you doing?!” I shouted, wriggling around in his firm grasp.

“Let me talk Park. For a minute just shut the up and let me talk” He muttered harshly.

If I let him talk, what would happen? I would give in to him. I would let him screw me over once more. He would get to brag to his friends that he fooled me again and my heart would be yet again shredded to pieces. If I let him talk, I would begin to believe in him.

“Just go Min Ho” I murmured, my will to fight diminishing.

His eyes bore into mine, those beautiful eyes that could lie so well. They showed hurt and a yearning, but it could be real. He was lying, he was the best liar there would ever be. He was drowning me again, with those eyes that told me one thing, when I knew another. His face gravitated towards mine and I knew where it was going. My eyes focused on his thin, pink, kissable lips. The ones that had grazed over most of my body, the ones that had brushed against my skin in the most delicious of ways.

Just when he was about to plant a kiss on my lips, I broke from my trance and moved my head to the side. Giving him my cheek instead. I heard him breathe out in disappointment and rest his head on my shoulder.

My stomach dropped for the millionth time and my heart constricted. He was a brilliant actor and I, his audience, was struggling to leave the theatre where he held me hostage. I wanted it to end at his friend’s house, but he we were. Still fighting.

It was pointless. Why was he fighting for something that wasn’t real? Why did he want his façade to continue? Did he enjoy his game that much? Did he believe it would be difficult to find another player to replace me?

“I’ll leave you for tonight. We’ll talk tomorrow Dara” His voice was muffled by my shoulder, the vibration felt throughout my whole being.

“No we won’t” I said in a small voice.

I could feel my eyes b with tears. He still had that awful effect on me.

Dejectedly, he straightened up. Leaving my shoulder lonely and cold. His head was hung low as he towered over me.

“I’ll be back tomorrow” He announced in a hushed tone.

Don’t Min Ho” I hoarsely whispered back.

He didn’t answer me, just his heels and left. He didn’t even slam the door on the way out like he would have once a time. Almost as if he had grown up.

Those stupid tears of mine spilt over again, caressing my face as a substitute for Min Ho.

Why do you make it feel so real jerk?

Does it feel good? Will you be satisfied after tomorrow?

Lee Min Ho’s POV

She wasn’t there when I came for her the next day. She left a note on the counter telling me that breaking and entering was a crime and that if I continued to harass her she would call the police- even if that meant me getting her expelled from SNU.

I crumpled the piece of paper in my hand and kicked the side of the counter in frustration. I had screwed up big time, I was regretting it. I should have told her once I realized the bet wasn’t fuelling my pursuit of her. I should have quit the bet altogether. They were all right, I didn’t need the money. I was just full of pride that would land me in situations that I would hate.

“ing stupid” I gritted my teeth and pulled out my phone to try and call her.

As soon as the first as the first dial tone sounded I got through to her voicemail, she had rejected my call. I tried again and got the same treatment.

I pursed my lips and put my phone away.

I’m not going to let you get away Dara.

I locked her apartment and began making my way to the university. Maybe she was studying in the library or heading to her next lecture which would be starting in twenty minutes. It didn’t matter where she was, I needed to see her. Last night was just too much. The rejection was a blow no one could have prepared me for.

Dara had been right about that. I always expected her to forgive me with a kiss, for all of our problems to be erased with a simple embrace. I don’t know how on earth I thought it would work again, for that situation. I should have realized that it was hopeless. I shouldn’t have deluded myself into believing that I hadn’t lost her.

The moment when I realized I had lost her last night was the last time I was sane.

It didn’t take long to spot her, sitting by the window. Listening to her lecturer or pretending to. Her head was hung low and she was drawing random circles on the palm of her hand.

Dara always paid attention in class.

Another wave of guilt. I swallowed hard and sat down on the grass.

“And what if she is an emotionless statue afterwards?”

Hyun Joong’s words from long ago rung through my mind, on replay. What if I had done that to Dara? What if I had damaged her to the extent that she wouldn’t listen to me?

What if it really was over?

No One’s POV

Min Ho didn’t notice when Dara left her class nor did Dara notice Min Ho with his head in his hands on the grass. The two were out of their minds over each other. Broken music boxes, that could never get to the last note. The day went by uneventfully dull like a red brick house. Dara stayed away from her apartment where Min Ho was waiting, instead hiding out in her childhood home.

Her mother tried to coax her into spilling the beans but to her misfortune Dara was much too interested in the scratches of the old dining table. Flaws made by her, forever engraved in the wood. How she had made some of them she simply hadn’t a clue. Dara knew that some of them were from grazing her chopsticks against the piece of furniture, while others were made by the craft knife she had used during her artsy period.

She was a mess. Who on earth ponders over how they damaged the family furniture.

Min Ho was on the couch, watching the hours go by on Dara’s red apartment clock. He hadn’t eaten lunch yet and it was almost time for dinner. He didn’t usually miss his meals but he was hoping that Dara would come back and then they could talk and eat together. Just like before, when they continuously teased and mocked each other. The days where Dara would insist that she hated him and he would without fail, tell himself that he was only attracted to the beautiful girl.

The cause and solution of all the world’s problems was a craving the two idiots known as Min Ho and Dara couldn’t ignore. Alcohol. They both needed a good, hard round of drinks to drown their sorrows in.

So of course that meant throwing themselves into the nightlife of Seoul once again.

What could possibly go wrong when you’re vulnerable and ready to get hammered?

Sandara Park’s POV

I didn’t know any of the people here. It was a new club that had recently opened up and it was already populated like the bellowing depths of hell. I didn’t want to dance or get a booth, so I settled myself at the bar counter. The grapefruit in my seabreeze was a bitter addiction, as I sipped my drink through a short black straw.

I was wearing skinny jeans, pumps and an off-the-shoulder black top. My hair was done and I didn’t wear any jewellery that night. I was sure if Min Ho was here he would grumble about people staring at me and I would complain about him being possessive.

I signalled the bartender for another drink and idly played with my hair, hoping for the alcohol to start kicking in. I just wanted to forget bout him, even if only for tonight.

“Dara?”

I nearly fell off my seat when I saw Hyun Joong sitting down next to me. He looked nice as always, with that gentlemanly smile.

“Hyun Joong” I greeted him with a smile.

“What are you doing here?” He asked, signalling for the bartender to attend to him.

“Same as you” I laughed, lifting my glass for emphasis.

He laughed along and sipped from a bottle, his long fringe covering one of his eyes.

“How have you been?” He tilted his head to the side like a curious dog.

“You make it sound like we haven’t seen each other in months” I mused.

“It might as well be for me”

I went quiet at that, downing more of my drink. It might have been better if I had chosen Hyun Joong, he wasn’t anything like Min Ho. I couldn’t imagine him playing me or any girl for that matter. He was too sincere for that. He was a wonderful guy and I was lucky to have such a person love me.

But he isn’t Min Ho.

A small voice inside my head said.

I ignored that annoying little reminder and drew random patterns on the bar counter.

“Do you by any chance have an answer for me?” He whispered.

I smiled a bitter smile. It was going to be a painful week. I reached for his hand and gave it a gentle squeeze, ready to answer him when I saw them.

Min Ho was sitting behind Hyun Joong, leaning against the counter with his lips latched onto another girl’s. Yuri’s to be exact. Him sitting on the bar stool with his hands on the counter, she leaning over him with her hands on his shoulders and her chest pressed up against him. She was all over him. When the kiss finally ended, I felt hollow. The jerk that I fell for pushed Yuri away from him, but I didn’t know if that was because he didn’t want the kiss or because he wanted to get up from his seat. He glanced my way and his eyes turned wide like saucers.

“Dara are you okay?” Hyun Joong peered at me with concern as I continued to stare at Min Ho with watery eyes.

I averted my eyes from Min Ho’s and in a sharp breath.

“Hyun Joong, I’m sorry but I can’t accept your feelings” I muttered.

I watched the small flicker of hope that remained in his eyes vanish.

“I’m sorry” I pecked him on the cheek.

Without waiting for him to say anything, I got up and began to walk away. Pushing through dancing bodies as my head spun.

I knew he didn’t actually love me, but I didn’t need to see that. After everything that I went through with Min Ho I didn’t need to see him with her.

I got through most of the dancing crowd until I tripped over someone’s foot. I was prepared to meet the cold hard dancing floor however a strong, familiar hand caught me. I knew all too well who was dragging me through the club and I couldn’t be bothered fighting at this point. I was tired and tipsy.

We ended up in a secluded area of the club, how Min Ho always managed to find these places was beyond me. We were alone and I could hear myself think. I pulled away from his hold and to my surprise he didn’t stop me from leaving his grasp. I looked up and saw those eyes.

“Dara-”

I slapped him across the face. I don’t know what came over me, it just happened. It felt good, to inflict some pain on him. Even if it was only physical.

“You’re really something else huh? Why do you keep on coming after me? It’s over already Min Ho, I thought you were done with me”

“I told you that we would talk today” He replied, not answering any of my questions.

“Oh really? Well you really did go out of your way to find me” I rolled my eyes.

“I went to your apartment in the morning, you weren’t there. I waited outside your class for you, but I never caught you. And then I went back to your apartment and waited for you for the whole afternoon” He exasperatedly said.

I went quiet. What was I supposed to say?

“Dara, I told you that you were wrong about everything. So I’m going to try and get as much of this out there while you’re at a loss for words. Yes, I made a bet with Kim Bum. Yes, originally I only got to know you so I could win that bet. But you know what? It became harder and harder to not fall for you. Every little thing I learnt about you made me smile, from your stinginess to your bad temper to your cute smile,”

I closed my eyes and sat down on the leather sofa behind us, sinking into the comfortable fixture. I felt the sofa dip a little further with his weight beside me.

“Dara look at me” He ordered in a stern tone.

I reluctantly turned to him, both of our faces flushed with the effects of alcohol.

“Admittedly I wanted to make a fool out of you at first. I was trying to get you to fall for me again and in the process fell for you too”

How lovely it would be if it turned out all of this were true.

“I’ve done awful things during our relationship Dara, like reading through your diary and getting into fights with Hyun Joong over you” He continued on.

Because you’re a jerk.

“Did he ask you for an answer?” He questioned, that one question I knew the Min Ho I thought I knew would want the answer to.

“Yes”

“What did you say to him?”

“I told him no” I sniffled, feeling overly emotional again.

“Why?”

“Because I’m a stupid girl who fell in love with a bastard who had already broken my heart once before” I joked.

I could see my reflection in his glassy eyes, I looked awful.

Way to show you’re coping Dara.

“You really are a great actor Min Ho” I muttered, tucking my hair behind my ears.

“You think I’m acting?” He burst out in a hushed tone.

“Yes, you’re still trying to play me. Though I cannot comprehend why” I shook my head with dry humour.

He took my hand and placed it over where his heart should’ve been. I expected to find no heartbeat there, as he was a heartless monster to me. But there it was, pumping fast underneath his skin. Warm and alive.

“You wanna know why that’s beating crazily?”

Don’t say it Min Ho” I growled.

“Because of you” He ignored my protest.

“I regret lying to you Dara, but that doesn’t mean I don’t love you. It doesn’t mean I faked anything with you”

“Shut up Min Ho”

“It doesn’t mean anything we shared wasn’t real Dara”

“Min Ho stop it”

“I love you”

“And you have a great way of showing it!” I shouted.

His grip around my hand tightened.

The tears were falling.

“You know I’m an idiot because I actually do believe every freaking word you just said. But saying sorry over and over again doesn’t fix things Min Ho. Not anymore” I sobbed.

The anguish on his face matched mine.

“The thing is, you keep on apologizing for the crap you pull and I keep on forgiving you. But that just can’t happen this time. It doesn’t work like that Min Ho! This isn’t a game! This isn’t child’s play where we kiss and make up!” I raised my voice again.

I pulled myself away from him and stood up shakily, him following suit.

“The thing is, you’ll never do something meaningful enough for me to forgive me you selfish bastard” I choked.

“I’m so-” He started.

“You keep on promising me that you won’t hurt me and yet you do in the cruelest ways. Not even my dead father was as bad as you are”

He pulled me into a hug that I wanted and didn’t want at the same time.

 “Just let me go now Min Ho” I pushed him away from me, wiping my tears.

“This relationship is suffocating”

He reached for my hand and I stepped back out of his grasp.

Not now jerk.

Not ever again.

 


Writer's Notes:

God I hate being sick >.<

So here it is, and no this is not the something memorable. It comes in the next chapter. Which by the way is the final chapter. 
Bet no one saw that coming xD
Well yes, the next chapter is the end to SBS.

I hope you guys found this chapter okay and wish me luck with my recovery from this cold.
Thanks for reading/commenting/subscribing/upvoting/supporting this story. I love you all and your awesome comments <3

Lots of love,
xoxoxo,
HEARTACHES <3