Pre-apocalypse

Silly Bets

No One’s POV

Dara fell asleep in Min Ho’s arms that night with a throbbing heart. If she had told Min Ho what was really wrong then maybe he would’ve have been able to explain himself. Maybe they would have returned to being the cheesy, happy, dysfunctional couple they always were.

The party tonight was going to be held at II Woo’s place, the same venue that our two lovers’ paths crossed. The beginning and ending. How fitting?

Min Ho watched Dara as she slept peacefully, he didn’t have the heart to wake her from her slumber when she looked so angelic. Last night was out of the ordinary for the both of them. He didn’t know what triggered Dara to start thinking so negatively, but whatever it was didn’t matter. All that mattered to him was reassuring her that he loved her, no matter how many times he would have to say it to get the message across into that thick head of hers.

The maids knew better than to come in and disturb the young master when he had his girlfriend over, they had been given strict orders from Mr Lee not to bother going into Min Ho’s bedroom unless it was vacant. So there was no wake up call for the Lee heir that day. Probably one of the few things Min Ho was grateful to his parents for while Dara was staying over.

Mr and Mrs Lee were going to be out for the day, they had a meeting to attend in Tokyo and wouldn’t be back in Seoul till tomorrow afternoon. So there was no chance of anymore of those awkward walk-ins or any of Mrs Lee’s ambush photo shoots.

Dara was enjoying her dreamless sleep. Snuggling in closer to the warmth beside her, though if she had been awake she would have retreated in the opposite direction. Though her mind thought one thing, Dara’s body did another. Wanting to be as close as it could to the comforting, masculine scent that was undoubtedly Lee Min Ho.

The sky was overcast, with light grey clouds spread evenly across like butter on toast. There was a slight easterly breeze playing outside too, ready to bully girls with long hair that did not wish to be tied up. The grass was decorated with sparkling droplets of the previous night’s rain and the pavement was splattered decoratively with puddles that would acts as sirens for rain boots. It was a perfectly normal day, prepared for perfectly abnormal events.

Sandara Park’s POV

The sound of my phone ringing roused me from my sleep, that loud, nauseating ringtone filling my ears.

“Ugh” I groaned, sleepily opening my eyes.

“Do you want me to get that for you?” A blurry vision of Min Ho asked me.

My heart clenched and I had to remind myself to breathe. In and out, in and out.

I managed to nod my head in response.

Min Ho reached over behind my head for the buzzing device and a second later the noise was silenced.

“It was just an alarm clock” He snickered.

Oh, right. I forgot I had one of those set in case I overslept.

Min Ho’s hair was dishevelled from sleep and his smile was a lazy one that a model might sport while on vacation. His body radiated with the warmth that I had snuggled into and the smell of him was intoxicating as I drowned in it.

He poked one of my cheeks and a big fat grin spread across his face.

“Finally ready to get up are we?” He questioned playfully.

I nodded and sat up along with him, running my fingers through my own crazy bed hair. I wondered if he was mentally laughing at my own crazy appearance, if he secretly got a kick out of watching this foolish girl every day. Did he enjoy judging every aspect of me like a prized painting to be sold off at an auction for a handsome price?

My stomach growled embarrassingly loud, causing him to chuckle and me to groan.

“Sounds like someone is hungry…” He stated the obvious.

“Yeah” I nodded, getting out of the bed to go and wash my face.

A strong, firm, hand wrapped around my wrist and tugged me back down.

“What? No good morning kiss for your boyfriend?” Min Ho childishly pouted.

I can’t.

“Nope. None for the boyfriend with morning breath” I poked my tongue out at him, and scrambled away to the bathroom.

I hoped he bought my teasing. I hoped he didn’t see through my façade, I didn’t know how I would explain myself.

“Oh yeah, well I found my diary under your bed and flipped. Went out to confront you about it only to find out that you’ve been playing me this whole time and now am going to end it with you before you can do it to me. I hope you’re okay with that.”

I splashed cold water onto my face and used a facial scrub to cleanse my face of any muck that could have attached itself to my skin while I was sleeping. Brushing my teeth vigorously, as if my life depended on it. Combing through my hair until the birds nest was silk. By the time I left the bathroom, Min Ho’s bed was made and he was dressed in a royal blue button down and grey slacks. A prince no matter what he wore. A small maroon Rimowa suitcase stood by the foot of the bed, packed with all of my new clothes and next to it the couple backpack of mine that had a twin in Min Ho’s possession. A royal blue knit top and a sleeveless cream dress had been laid out on the bed and a pair of rose coloured ballet flats waited patiently on the floor to be collected.

“Get dressed quickly so we can get some food into you” He winked, gesturing to the outfit we bought yesterday along with the many others.

“Arasso” I gave him a lop-sided smile and gathered the clothes in my arms, leaving the shoes where they were. I headed back to the bathroom and closed the door.

He organised it so that we would be somewhat matching today.

I thought to myself with a heavy heart. He really knew how to make a girl feel special, how to make a girl blush with delight. It should have been illegal to know how to pluck a girl’s heartstrings like a harp.

I hope after me Min Ho, you never hurt a girl again.

I changed into the outfit and didn’t even bother to glance in the mirror. Knowing all too well that a smile would erupt from the memories of us shopping yesterday. Happy. Naïve.

I wished I was still naïve.

I opened the door and was greeted with Min Ho waiting right in front of the door for me. A dorky expression plastered onto his face.

“You look gorgeous” He complimented, snaking an arm around my waist.

“Thanks” I replied, putting on a mask for the day, to protect myself.

We walked just like that, down to the lower level of the manor. Not to the main dining room, but to a small table set in the sunroom. A table where strawberries on pancake stacks with whipped cream and frappuccino’s waited. Despite the gloomy weather, the room had a very warm feeling to it and was elegantly decorated with simplicity.

We ate in a chit-cattery manor. Bite into something, talk, chew something, swallow something, talk some more, sip something, talk, eat some more, talk and so on.

He nearly made me forget about everything that I had discovered. His sincerity when he spoke, his affectionate teasing and his comfortingly, warm hand squeezing mine over the table were things that I couldn’t believe were fake. How could he pretend to feel all those things? How could he project such a warmth, such a love? Could I really blame myself for falling into his trap when it seemed so natural? So real.

“I’m going to drop you off at your place after this. You know where the party is being held right?” He patted his mouth with a serviette.

“Yes, I do” I hummed.

“I’ll see you there at 8 tonight. I’ll be waiting for you by the pool at this table”

“Okay, stop worrying. I won’t get lost or stand you up” I lightly kicked him under the table.

“I know that” He mumbled like a five year old getting caught out ordering his parents around.

“And wear the outfit I bought for tonight too” He quickly added on.

“Min Ho seriously, what did you think I was going to do? Come in our couple pyjamas?” I sarcastically sighed.

“Maybe…”

“Idiot” I muttered as I stood up.

“Only for you” He caught my hand and twined our fingers together.

Lies.

We walked to the car like that, the maids having loaded up all of my things while we had been eating our sumptuous breakfast. He opened the door for me and helped me inside like a gentleman, accommodating. I couldn’t help but blush and avert my eyes from his when he pecked my temple.

The ride back to my building was fast, faster than it had ever been before. It seemed like time was just flying by today. Time was running out, our happy little fairy tale would be over by the end of tonight.

It was immature to think. But if I was going to be left broken hearted in the end, I was at least going to be the one who ended it. If I was going to be played, I would at lead be the one to tell the player game over.

We parked, went up with the elevator and stood outside of my apartment door.

“Well, I’ll see you tonight then baby” He pecked my lips.

“Y-yep” I stuttered.

He left me with a caress and ran off to do whatever it was he had to do today. Once he was out of sight, I pulled out my phone and began to dial a number.

1, 2, 3.

“Yoboseyo?” That annoying voice answered.

“Kim Bum this is Sandara Park, I wanted to talk to you about something,”

Our relationships apocalypse was about to take off.

 


Writer's Notes:

What is going to happen next??? Oh I bet you can only imagine...
Not actually it's obvious what is going to happen next.
But oh well!

Thanks for reading!
xoxoxo,
HEARTACHES <3