Chapter 41

Coincidental or Intentional?

“Jiyun, are you alright?” Sunggyu’s voice shone through her cloudy mind. He nudged her, trying to bring her out of her trance. “Are you sick?”


JIyun looked up and observed her surroundings. A few staff were looking at her worriedly.

They were in the midst of their debriefing after the indoor filming of the MV. It was also the day where filming for the MV ends.

 

“I’m ok. Sorry...” She muttered, glancing back at the storyboard in her hand. “As i was saying, i’m really thankful for everyone’s hard work for this MV. This has really been a great experience for me.”

Sunggyu kept staring in Jiyun’s direction. It didn’t get unnoticed by her.

 

“You seem like you have something to say.” Jiyun asked, placing her file back down on her lap.

 

“It’s about something unrelated to the filming. Something personal.” He shrugged, turning away from her.

 

“Oh.” She replied, genuinely surprised that he was raising something that was not work related. They had kept most of their conversations strictly to work related, unlike with Myungsoo.

It was like a role reversal. Any usual fan would have thought that Sunggyu is the one who could hold any kind of conversations under the sun while Myungsoo will just be goal specific.

They were wrong. Very wrong.

 

“If there’s nothing else, we’ll end this filming.” Jiyun reconfirmed with the rest of the staff before they started dispersing.

 

“Sunggyu, what is the matter?” She asked, turning towards him. “Anything i can help you with?”

 

“Jiyun, is something bothering you? Or is there anything about me that you are not pleased with?”

 

“Me?” She chuckled. “No?”

 

“Then what is it i heard about you handing over the MV editing to your colleague? You’re even getting her to do the follow up MV for ‘I Need You’...”

 

“Sunggyu, that’s because...”

 

“Jiyun!” Myungsoo called out happily as he walked nearer towards them. The rest of his group members followed after him, gawking at everything in sight. They were impressed by the set that had been constructed specially for the indoor filming. Suddenly as if like kids, the rest of the members ran away to explore the set.

 

“Myungsoo, why are you here?” Jiyun smiled. “Filming has already ended by the way.”

 

“Oh, the boys wanted to come over to cheer our leader on.” He grinned, scratching his neck, embarrassed. “Although we kind of got distracted along the way and went shopping instead. I’m glad we made it here though.”

 

Jiyun giggled, glancing over at Sunggyu who had sighed deeply. “Why am i not surprised?”

 

“That’s the kind of kids i have to endure with for the past few years.” He grumbled.

 

“You are a good leader.” She encouraged, patting him on his back. Sunggyu grinned in return. Despite the rumours that he is a weak leader who is always tired, Sunggyu is actually one who works hard and plays hard.

 

“Anyway, what were you saying just now?” He probed, determined to get an answer from her. He lightly slapped Myungsoo’s hand away, noticing that he had already started to entertain himself by braiding Jiyun’s long hair.

 

“Hyung!” Myungsoo pouted, scurrying over to the other side of Jiyun in order to avoid Sunggyu’s further attack.

 

"Don’t interrupt us.” He warned, putting a finger on his lips to indicate that he didn’t want to hear anything else from him at that moment. With that, he turned towards Jiyun once again. “So, what were you saying?”

 

She shook her head, amused at the little interactions between him and s. “I’m leaving Korea in a couple of hours, so obviously i have to hand over my pending work to my colleagues.”

 

“What?!” Both Myungsoo and Sunggyu exclaimed in shock.

 

“But you haven’t told us about it before!” Myungsoo shouted.

 

“I’m telling you guys now, aren’t i?” She grinned. She hadn’t boarded the plane yet, but she was missing the guys already. A smile crept up the sides of . “I’ll miss you guys though.”

 

“Me too, Jiyun ah. We never got to have the dinner you promised me the other day.” Myungsoo frowned and gave a pout subsequently. “How come you are leaving so suddenly?”

 

Jiyun shook her head. “It’s not a sudden decision. My boss has been bugging me for an answer for quite some time.”


 


True enough, Jiyun had first been approached by her boss regarding the outstation notice since the day she had requested for him to pull her out from the drama production. Seemingly aware of the relationship strain between Yoochun, Hye Jin and her, her boss had given her the choice to either accept or decline the transfer.


It was entirely up to her. Or so it seems.

She had already decided to, and had informed her boss that she was accepting the transfer right after the dinner with the Beast boys, Jaejoong, Junsu and Shaun at her house. That short conversation had steered her towards her decision. ‘He is surrounded by people who loves him, it makes no difference if i am there... or not.’

Knowing that she had very little time left in Korea, she decided to make up with Yoochun so that she wouldn’t leave with any regrets. However, whenever she wanted to initiate conversation with him, staff would suddenly appear in between them. Or she would choose to back out since she didn’t know how to bring the topic up. Or Hye Jin.

Especially Hye Jin.

Hence, she was extremely grateful when Yoochun had melted the wall in between them.

She wasn’t blind, she knew how kind he was towards her. However, she couldn’t differentiate that kindness with love anymore.

‘A change in environment may help me sort this out.’ was what Jiyun had in mind when she accepted the transfer.

She had wanted to let Yoochun know about her transfer the night they went for their movie outing. She had been trying to figure out all night how best to break the news to him, since she knew how much of a worrywart he could be. Which explained why she was deep in thoughts the entire time they were together up until the movie started.

 

"Then, why should you care about me that much?"

That question she asked in the car was the last resort. She told herself that it would be the last time she would ask such a question. ‘If he admits, even just a teeny weeny bit that i am more than just a friend, i will stay. I will even confess once more if needed be. If not, then it’s Japan for me.’

She got her answer through his perplexed expression. ‘I guess it is just me that has always interpreted his actions wrongly...’

And then there was the big fallout with Hye Jin at the set. She was in extreme frustrations since she had barely a week left before she leaves for Japan, and there were still episodes that were still not yet complete. Even the last episode was yet to be done since she had to keep adjusting Hye Jin’s script to suit her linguistic ability so that the schedules would not keep getting pushed back. She had promised both her boss and the director that she would at least get them done before she leaves.

Also, there was the conversation that she had with Shaun shortly after the fallout...

 

"Shaun, i need to tell you something..." Jiyun looked up, catching the attention of Shaun.

 

He nodded, “I’m listening.”

 

“I’m leaving Korea. Next week.”

 

Shaun was caught off guard as he stepped back a little due to the shock. “What do you mean, you’re leaving? Where?”

 

“Japan. That’s why it’s going to be impossible between us.”

 

“You’re giving up on Yoochun as well?”

 

Jiyun smiled. “It was a mistake to begin with. A major one.”

 

He sighed. “So you’re choosing neither of us.”

 

Jiyun rolled her eyes. “It’s not working, your attempt to make me feel guilty.”

 

“Tell me what should i do?” He asked. When faced with a confused looking Jiyun, he explained further, “You need some help from me, don’t you?”

 

“You really know me too well.” Jiyun giggled. “Please pretend to hang out with me for the next few days so that i have an excuse to find time to complete my pending work. There are a lot of things i have to complete... without distractions.”

 

“Yoochun, you mean?” He asked, looking intently at her.

Jiyun nodded.

 

“Does he know?” He asked, using his hands to do a flying gesture, signifying her plan to ‘fly away’.

 

She shook her head. “I’ll probably let him know later, but we’ll see how it goes.”

She hadn’t planned on making it a ‘we’re getting together so back off’ scene in front of the staff. Shaun had decided that impromptu, so she had to pretend to go along with it somehow.

She didn’t realise that it was the key to unlock the pandora box.

It wasn’t in her plans to have a sudden outburst of emotions and spilling out her pathetic love confession to him. Heck, it wasn’t even in her wildest imaginations that Yoochun would react so strongly to the news about Shuan and her.

Him with his confession, it threw her off her momentum.

She should have been touched by his confession, if not with the whirlpool of emotions engulfing her, choking her. She would probably have run up to him and given him a big tight hug back then. But it felt all wrong. How can anyone who had just confirmed their status as ‘friends’ less than ten hours ago suddenly make a big U turn and tell her that he loves her?

It was all wrong.

Also, her past experience kept haunting her. She was, after all, someone who had gotten first hand experience in confessing to someone out of desperation. Shaun.

She knew how insane it was. Regardless of whether having feelings for the person or not, it was still crazy. ‘Probably the most irresponsible way to confess.’ Love or not, she had deeply regretted it shortly after that back then when she confessed to Shaun.

She had already decided to lock her feelings away. She had already decided to leave. She had already told herself there was no way he will be turning around to look at her.


So why did he? Especially after she had given up all hopes on the hopeless love?

She recalled how she had aimlessly made her way that day to Cojjee and had chanced upon Jaejoong. He had patiently listened to her spill everything out for the rest of the day, since he was the only other person who knew about the situation, other than Shaun. Except for the fact that she was getting transferred.

Instead of forcing Yoochun on to her, he had slowly analysed everything with her, before leaving her to make her decision herself.

 

“...I know this may seem crazy to you, but our Yoochun has never once confessed to anyone before. It was always the ladies who had made the first move. It’s no wonder why he took so long to come to terms with himself that it was love he felt for you instead of friendship. He felt that his place beside you was being threatened, which was probably why he blew up...”

 

“... You may not believe it but, he was always feeling insecure when it comes to you. He had always mentioned that he didn’t want to see you hurt, and he knew that just staying by his side is poison. I’m sure you are aware about his broken family. I’m guessing that he didn’t want to bring the same hurt to anyone he treasures anymore, so that’s why he was behaving like a wimp up until then...”

She couldn’t sleep that night. Or any other nights.

 

 

 

“Your boss had been bugging you?” Sungyu asked, widening his eyes to look at her better. It was the largest that anyone has seen of his eyes. “What did he do? Or say?”


Jiyun snapped out of her trance, looking back at Sunggyu in confusion as the latter flicked her forehead angrily since he realised that she wasn’t listening.

 

“Isn’t this about Yoochun hyung?” Myungsoo suddenly asked, hugging her arm like a koala bear. “Sunggyu, should we just kidnap her back to our dorm so that she can’t leave the country?”

 

Jiyun chuckled. “Myungsoo, aren’t you too old to be behaving like this? And no, my decision to leave isn’t because of him.” She added. ‘Not entirely.’

 

“Lalalala! I didn’t just hear that!” Myungsoo said out loud, covering his ears as he walked away to find the rest of the members.

 

“Seriously, have you ever had the thought of murdering your members?” Jiyun sighed, looking at Sunggyu who was frowning at the members who were goofing around.

 

“Always.” He face palmed himself. “So, your boss is sending you on an overseas trip?”

 

Jiyun nodded. “Our Japan branch is opening soon, so i’ll be transferred there to oversee the operations.” She smiled, “It’s a good opportunity for me i guess.”

 

He rolled his eyes. “Seriously, why the short notice...” Shaking his head with a smile, he continued with another question. “When are you returning?”

 

Jiyun shrugged. “Maybe in a few months, maybe years. Maybe never. I don’t know, it all depends on how the company fares after it swings into full operation.”

 

Sunggyu frowned. His eyes were barely visible due to the frowning. “I don’t like the sound of that.” He confessed, his face sullen.

 

Jiyun started laughing in response. “Sunggyu! Where are your eyes!”

 

“What?! I’m being serious here and you’re laughing at my eyes instead!”

 

“It isn’t that serious though. I’m just trying to advance my career at another location. It’s common in this line, isn’t it?” She reason, giving a reassuring pat on his back. “I just feel bad for not being able to wrap up your MV personally.”

 

“You should feel bad!” He accused, although a smile was appearing on his face. “At least you had the heart to feel bad. I forgive you! “

 

“Will we work together again?” He asked.

 

Jiyun pondered for a bit. “I’m pretty sure we will work together soon.”

 

“What time is your flight? Can we send you off?”

 

“It’s ok Sunggyu, i have company. I’m leaving tonight, together with Shaun.”

 

“Shaun? That guy who came to pick you up from our company that other day? With the white convertible?”

 

Jiyun nodded. “He’s the one.”

 

“Well...” He nodded. “All the best then.” He said, offering a handshake, to which Jiyun gladly accepted.


Afterwards, they went their separate ways, with Jiyun going towards the machines to review the films with MinAe and Sunggyu walking towards Myungsoo.

 

“Myungsoo. Do you have Yoochun’s contact number?” Sunggyu asked.

 

Myungsoo shook his head. “I’m guessing from your question, Yoochun doesn’t know about her departure?”

 

“Probably not.” He replied. “Call Jaejoong then, you have his contact number right?”


Myungsoo nodded his head and pulled out his phone.
 

 

 

A/N: I'm hungry. And yes, this chapter looks very familiar.

 

PS: The very very very very very last chapter will be uploaded right after 'I Miss You' ends ;)