Chapter 4

Coincidental or Intentional?

"Why are you looking all so nervous and fidgety?"


Jiyun turned around in shock. And heaved a deep sigh of relief.

 

"Oh it's only you, boss..."

 

Her boss gave her a look of disapproval. "Hey, if it weren't for me, you may not have the chance to meet up with your idol this entire lifetime! Seriously, 'it's ONLY you, boss?' I'm disappointed..."

 

"Come on, I'm wholeheartedly thankful to you for giving me this opportunity... with or without him."

 

"But having him on board greatly sweetens the deal, isn't that right?" He replied happily with a wide smile on his face. He should be, for he was making an enormous profit from this production. And imagine the rollover impact it will have on them; everyone will be calling his company to help them with their productions.

 

"Perhaps to you. Not me."

She carefully scrutinized around her once again.


 'The coast is clear. Target has yet to arrive at the filming site.'

 

"Seriously, take a chill pill. It's JUST admitting that you are his fan; it's nothing big. I bet 75% of the people here are his fans in some way or another." Her boss casually mentioned, looking around unconsciously. He had somehow gotten influenced by her paranoid bug.

Jiyun pulled down her cap lower, trying to cover her face to the best of her ability. Coupled with a pair of sunglasses - her disguise is almost perfect. At least that’s what she visualised. She sighed.

 

"That's true, but i can't help but to hide. It is just like admitting to your parents that you're gay!"

 

"You're gay?" Her boss asked mockingly. At the same time, he was amused that the scriptwriter in front of him was quickly losing her sanity.

She had been fine since that day she confessed to be Yoochun's fan, but now that they are at the filming site, she was... fidgety.

Nevertheless, he kind of understood what she was going through: The first time meeting each other in person since that accidental confession. AWKWARD.

Jiyun rolled her eyes.

 

"No, boss. Logically speaking i can't be one. I'm a female. The scientific term should be 'lesbian'."

It was her boss's turn to roll his eyes.

 

"Of course i know that much. You're too tight up, I'm just trying to make you relax a little."

 

"Well thanks for that."

 

"You know, I'd give you a little warning if you were nicer to me." He whispered after walking a few steps nearer to her.

 

She flinched. "What?"

 

"Yoochun is right behind you."
 
'WHAT?!'

She could have sworn that she was lucky enough to not have sprained her neck, judging by the speed she turned her head around. She was still in one piece, that's if her eyes hadn't popped out from opening her eyes too wide.

‘I hope my ponytail didn’t hit him.’

 

“Hi!” Yoochun waved to the both of them buoyantly.

Jiyun had her jaw dropped straight to the floor in her mind.

‘Damn, why is he looking so cute today?’

 

“Hi Yoochun, it’s been a while.” Her boss replied joyously, eyeing cheekily at Jiyun at the same time.

 

“Yeah, I've been in your care.” He grinned and looked at Jiyun’s direction. “Hey.”

 

“Hi...” She muttered, looking away from him. ‘Must not look into his eyes; he’s a handsome Medusa.’

She looked up after realising something.

‘Hey? He only said hey? Wow, unbelievable. I feel so stupid for behaving like a maniac this whole afternoon.’

 

“Erm, Mr Boss? Can you come with me for a moment? My manager is looking for you...”

‘And he’s ignoring me, i see. Whatever. No time to lose. Too much stuff on my hands. And where the hell is that actress? She’s supposed to be here already! She’s late!’

 

“I’ll see you later, Jiyun.” Her boss said before walking away with Yoochun, who merely gave a little nod to her.

‘Whatever, I'm not expecting anything anyway.’ She thought and stormed off in the direction of where the PD is seated at.

 

“Yoochun.” Jiyun’s boss uttered once they were a considerable distance away from Jiyun.

 

“Yes?” He acknowledged.

 

“You’re grinning.”

 

“Really?” He finally chuckled, followed by a quiet laughing session which caused him to shiver in laughter. He couldn’t just laugh out loud; they were at the top of Namsan tower after all. He wouldn’t want the whole of Seoul to hear him.

 

“Were you trying to act nonchalant in front of her? You’re aware that she’s your fan right?”

 

“Well...” Yoochun smiled broadly with glee. “It’s more interesting to see her reactions like she did earlier on...”

 

The boss shook his head. “You’re a devil, a sneaky one.”

 

 
 

"Jiyun, we have a slight problem."

Jiyun looked up from the monitor screens that had been put in place for the filming session. It was the coordinator.

 

"What is it?" She asked lazily. She was starting to feel tired. After all, it was nearing sunset and she had minimum sleep.


Over something insignificant - A mere 'hey'.

 

"The actress... she bailed out on us..."

 

"Oh okay..... WHAT?!!!!!"

 

"I'm sorry! It's my fault, i should have called her up yesterday to double confirm with her..." The coordinator winced in fear.

An angry Jiyun with lack of sleep = SCARY.

 

"Give me her number, I'm gonna call her myself."

 

"It's no use... I've tried calling her back just now. She switched off her phone entirely. Her manager isn't picking up either."

 

"Urgh. Get a replacement, quick."

 

"It's no use, there's no ti..."

 

"What's wrong?" Her boss asked as he walked over to them briskily together with Yoochun. They had heard Jiyun's scream from the other side of the tower.

 

"That pretty face decided that she doesn't like Yoochun that much." Jiyun muttered sarcastically. "She stood us up."

Yoochun merely shrugged like it was nothing new to him.

 

"Replacement?" Her boss asked, frowning.

Jiyun glanced at the coordinator.

 

"It's too late to get one, the sunset that we want to film with is nearing..." The coordinator whimpered in fear.

The boss and Jiyun both let out deep sighs.

 

"Can we postpone the filming?" The boss asked Jiyun, who was already halfway through insanity in her head.

 

She shook her head. "Can't. It took me days of pestering before the owner finally gave the go ahead."

 

Her boss scrunched his hair in deep thought. "Then... maybe we should cancel this sce..."

 

"She'll do it."

Yoochun casually mentioned, pointing right at Jiyun.

 

"Mr Park is going crazy too, i see." Jiyun replied, full of sarcasm in her words.

He shrugged.

 

"Well, all we need is a pretty face, don't we? She fits that requirement perfectly well." He smiled broadly at her, while the latter glared at him in return. "Besides, she's my fan. I'm sure she'll be happy to act as my girlfriend in the MV."

'Oh, so I'm your fan NOW huh?'

 

"I'm afraid i will have to decline, Mr Park. I'm sure i have told you this before, that I'm a MERE scriptwriter."

Deep down in her head, she was fighting her own battle with herself. He was right. Before anything else, before her career as a scriptwriter, she is indeed his fan. On any other occasions, she'll probably jump at the chance to take up that role. But she was still feeling pissed.

 

"Besides, if all you want is a pretty face, this coordinator beside me will do the job just as fine." She pointed to her right where the coordinator stood. It was the same one who had informed them of the bad news.

 

"Urm, but she's not my fan." He replied uninterestedly. "You're not my fan right?" He asked, looking straight into her eyes.

She shook her head slowly. Her ears were burning red.

Jiyun rolled her eyes.

 

"She will be, Mr Park, if you keep on looking at her this way."

'Don't you even realize that just a glance from you will send all the female species into a crazed mode?'

 

"Hmm. I see." He muttered, bringing his attention back towards Jiyun. "But she's too thin for my liking."

She narrowed her eyes at Yoochun.

 

"Are you implying that I'm fat?"

'MUST.GO.ON.A.DIET'

 

"No?" He beamed.

 

"Erm guys, we're still here..." Her boss finally spoke up. "As much as i would like to continue watching you guys bickering with each other, the sunset is not going to wait..."

Jiyun and Yoochun looked away from each other. Both with completely different expressions on their faces.

After a while of silence, Yoochun brought up his phone to play with it.

'We are in a dire situation and he still has the mood to play with his phone.'

The next thing she knew, her message tone started ringing - 'Uncommitted' by Junsu.

'I'm so glad that i changed my phone tones just now. Who knows what will happen if he hears my previous tones.'

 

"Why do you have your messaging tone set as Junsu's song? You're my fan, aren't you?" He accused unhappily.

She shrugged him off with a light smug on her face before looking at the message she just received on her phone. And once again, her jaw dropped into eternal hell.

Her whole body felt drained off of every drop of blood. Her head was spinning. She stared at the message she received.


 

'Dearest Yoochun,
 

Today, i dug out the white over sized top that i wore to your concert two years back. Yes, it was still in my wardrobe somehow. I donned myself in the same outfit that i did two years back, walking along the streets for some fresh air (although in actual fact, the haze was getting to me, making my rhinitis worse).
 

At the end of the day when i finally returned home, i found myself removing the entire outfit at top speed. Heck, i hated the idea of wearing the top that used to be so comfortable. That's when i realised: I have changed.
 

I am no longer the girl that had purely admired you as a fan two years ago. That somehow changed along the way.
 

Who am i to blame? You, Mr Park.
 

I know this is an unfair statement to you. -Scoffs-. I should probably blame it on the abnormally coincidental coincidences instead.
 

By the way, what do you call 'too many coincidences' as? According to my friend, it's called 'on purpose, intentional, or fate'. For me, it is probably 'just a coincidence'. Cos I've gotten that from you way too many times that i can no longer count them with both my hands. I shall not list them out one by one since it will mean that i am actually taking note of it.
 

I've always thought our only link for such coincidences was through twitter; imagine the devastation i went through when you closed it down that one day. I sincerely thought that that would be the end of our coincidences; I'd even closed down my old twitter account for that reason.
 

But once again, you swept me off my feet like a tsunami does when i found out that the coincidences weren't stopping. The stuff that I've written in my fanfic (yes, that fanfic which I've sent you the link to), they are all slowly coming to life in front of my eyes. Hugging a girl when she cries because she's hurting from loving you too much, those wedding destinations, preferring a daughter, the ring on your pinky, proposal during your concert... so what else is next?
 

Do i call them coincidences still? Affirmative. That's what i would like to brainwash myself into.
 

You know, these much of coincidences led me to think that i was perhaps, treated slightly different from your usual fans. Which wasn't the case right?
 

So, to prevent myself from sinking in even deeper into my delusional fantasies, I've reached a decision.
 

Park Yoochun, I'm giving up.
 

No, i don't mean I'm going to stop being a JYJ fan. After all, 'Once a fan, always a fan'. I'll just purely like JYJ in a musical aspect.
 

Thank you for the wonderful time you have given me during these past 2 years, even though they were never intended for me to be the recipient.
 

I wonder if you will even read this letter. Nahs, you won't, so I've just wasted 20 minutes of my time writing to the air.
 

Sincerely,

Jiyun'


She glanced at the top of the screen to find out who the sender was.

'Mr Park.'

Imagine the shock she got.


Slowly lifting her head up, she took a peek at THE Mr Park who was idiotically smiling at her.


'You knew. You FREAKING knew.'


Seconds later, another message came in.
 

'At least you didn't waste the 20 minutes typing this. Now, you'll agree to be my on-screen girlfriend, won't you?'


She could have sworn that she was practically staring at the perpetrator with her laser-like eyes, trying to bore a hole into his brains and burning out that smirk on his face.


'He's blackmailing me. That Medusa. That devil.'


She realised that she had no way out. Yoochun was still grinning stupidly at her, awaiting her reply.


She bit her lips and looked down at her shoes.

'I should have deleted that post.'

 

"Oh Jiyun's boss, do you know..." Yoochun suddenly spoke up, shocking the hell out of Jiyun. He had a sly grin on his face, "...that Jiyun...."
 

"I'll do it!"

Exasperated.

 

"Jiyun, really?" Her boss asked in suspicion.

 

"Yeah, do you really agree to be my on-screen girlfriend? You can refuse, you know?" He teased.

 

She mumbled grudgingly, "I'd willingly pay a billion bucks just to get out of my predicament."


‘Even if you’re THE Park Yoochun...’


Yoochun chuckled and went back to typing on his phone.


She looked at the new message.
 

'Cheer up will you? It's an honor for me to act alongside with the author of the fanfic too.'


She shot him a look full of hatred.


'No wonder he was insisting on that ring scene. He has definitely read my fanfic before. Exactly how much does he know about my fandom?!'


Park Yoochun has never once looked evil. But right now, she was looking at an exact replica of Satan.