Chapter 30

Coincidental or Intentional?

It turned out that hanging out with Shaun didn't end up being awkward like how Jiyun had imagined.

It was in fact, fun, since they had tried out almost everything that they had missed out on doing together back in university. Within that week or two. 11 days to be exact.

Zoo, Aquarium, Amusement parks, Hiking, Star Gazing, Water Sports... you name it, they completed it.

"Yun, what would you like to have?" Shaun asked, waving her out of her trance for the Nth time that day.

Although she did enjoy herself that whole time, it still felt incomplete. Like as if something was missing. The outing was great, or to be precise, amazing. It felt like they had been chasing behind the period of time when they were still considered as youths. But still...

 

Jiyun shook her head, dispelling the missing jigsaw puzzle piece from her head. Looking up to meet eyes with Shaun, she spoke without even a slight hesitation. "Caramel Macchiato!"

 

Shaun raised his eyebrows with a slight doubt. "You're taking coffee at night? Are you sure?"

Jiyun pulled out the Coffee Cojjee cushion that had been comfortably propping behind her back all that while. 'I wonder if this was the cushion i hugged during our movie nig... oh shucks, Jiyun will you please snap out of it?'

 

"Never been surer.” She grinned. “It has always been my all time favourite. Just wanted to try out this item here to see if it is any good!"

 

"Okay, be right back." He replied before walking away from their seats to order their drinks.


Jiyun started observing her surroundings. The last time she was there, the entire floor had been engulfed by darkness, hence she wasn't able to make out the entire layout of the cafe. She had a vague idea, it was great. But now that she had seen it in the light, using the word 'great' was an understatement. It totally screamed 'Kim Jaejoong'.

She peeked at the corner of the shop where a wall of drop down windows were situated at. It was the exact location where they had that makeshift movie theatre.

'It was just a simple few hours of hanging out, but why did it feel so... complete?'

She sighed deeply inwardly. They had not been talking ever since that dinner at Jaejoong's.

'...This should be the table where he placed the projector on. The shorty that Mr Park claimed it to be, that he had to find some books to make it higher...’

She admitted she hadn't made the initiative to contact him first.

But, she had valid reasons at the very least.

She was busy with the typing and vetting of scripts for the subsequent episodes of the drama. Only five episodes worth of scripts were available for the casts to memorize with as of that day when they went for the script reading session. There was a rough sketch of the whole drama, but that was only for reference. There was A LOT to be edited since she was aware of the linguistic ability of the female lead.

Seriously, who was the idiot who had cast her for the drama?

And then there was the deal with Woollim. She hadn't managed to meet up with the company today due to unforeseen delay, but she was blown away when she finally heard the actual song sung by Sung Gyu. It was very different as compared to the song guide that she had heard.

60 seconds.

She had a very good idea of how the story should be like.

'Just drag my thoughts out from the deepest corner of my heart, and a story is born.'

On top of those, she was spending time to bring her friend, Shaun, around under official orders. Not that she was complaining.

'...And in that corner of the sofa, Yoochun had accidently stained it with Sprite when he jumped in shock as the Boogey man appeared in the movie...'

Jiyun smiled at the thought of that.

 

"Penny for your thoughts?" Shaun reappeared, carrying a tray containing two drinks, a small cup of plain water, and some cookies. He then promptly set them on the table. "You were daydreaming, weren't you?" He teased.

 

"I was just thinking about the script that i am currently working on..."

'Really Jiyun, do you really have to lie about this?'

 

"Ah, i see..." He replied, handing her the drink and the cup of plain water. "I hope i recalled it correctly. You need plain water when drinking or eating sweet stuff."

 

"You remembered?" Jiyun asked with a slight startled look on her face. "I mean, i don't remember doing this recently..."

 

"I won't forget anything that has to do with you."

It was a simple innocent sentence. But it sent Jiyun into a flush instantly.

 

"You sure have photographic memory.." She chuckled, taking a sip from her caramel macchiato. "But yes, you are right. I need plain water for sweet stuff."

'If it were Yoochun, he wouldn't have noticed it. Or rather, i bet he doesn't know about it...'

 

"I don't. I only take note of the small details when it comes to you. Like how you avoid oily and deep fried food cos it makes you feel nauseous afterwards or you can't take coffee on an empty stomach. I know it all, Yun. That's how much i care." He slowly recited, all the while looking at Jiyun's direction, hoping that she would return a glance, a gaze, or even a stare back at him.

 

"Seriously." She mumbled, the sides of her lips slowly lifting up, "Are you a stalker?"

'Nobody beats Mr Park when it comes to being a stalker though...'

 

"Is that what it seems to you? Because i don't mind being a handsome stalker, provided if you don't call the cops on me!" He joked.

 

"Here we go, a ert is in the making." Jiyun teased, then rolling her eyes at the irony of it. 'Is this another case of deja vu or pure coincidence?'


Mr Park, are you trying to expand your portfolio of the things you do? First, a stalker. Now you want to add ‘ert’ to your list?

 

"But seriously, back to the topic."

 

"Hmm?" Jiyun hummed absentmindedly. She had lost her concentration once again, noticing that the new song that the cafe was currently playing was John Park's "That Song"

'Seriously, why did i pick this cafe? Other than the fact that Jaejoong is the owner and i should support my friend?'

 

"Yun, will you look at me for once?" Shaun requested in a slightly louder voice, although it wasn't loud enough to cause a disturbance to the other customers.

 

"What? What do you mean?" Jiyun asked with a puzzled look on her face. "I am looking at you."

 

"No, i mean, I know you are here with me, looking at me. But your heart has already floated off to somewhere else."

 

"Hah! You're funny! How can my heart float away?" She snickered at the interesting description made by her friend.

Shaun lowered his head in despair.

 

"Yun, these few days have been really enjoyable for me. It feels like time has rewinded itself back to where our time together had stopped, and had allowed us to experience what we hadn't back then."

 

She smiled. "I enjoyed myself as well, all thanks to you. It has been a while. I'm glad you requested to my boss for me to tour you around."

 

"Me too." He returned her smile with his. Stirring his drip coffee a little, he fidgeted for a bit before mustering up his courage for his next sentence.

 

"...And i would like for us to continue... no, rewrite our story together, if you would give me the chance to."

 

"What do you mean?" Jiyun asked, "I don't get you?"

 

"I mean, come back home with me. Where you originally belong to. Reseal our fate together. I know i made a wrong choice back then by giving up on you. But i'm not going to make the wrong choice twice. You are the right choice."

 

"Shaun," Jiyun replied exasperatedly, even the slightest tinge of smile leaving her face. "I thought that we have already gone through this talk for a couple of times? You and i, we can only be friends. There's no longer any sparks between us."

 

"Is this about Hye Jin? I swear, we have never gone beyond kissing..."

 

"No, not her. And i don't care about how intimate you were with her." She facepalmed herself. ‘I can’t believe he mentioned about that.’

 

"So it's about Yoochun?"

 

"No!" Jiyun shrieked. When she realised that she may be causing a commotion in the cafe, she slid down her seat a little lower, hoping that nobody notices her behaving like insanity.

'In fact, if i had known all these were to happen, i would not have gone to the concert where i first saw him in person...'

 

"Shaun, you are a good man. You really are. But rather than becoming lovers, i would really prefer if we remain as friends. Lovers may break up, but friends are for forever. I cherish you that much." Jiyun muttered softly, hoping that he would get through to it soon.

 

"I understand..." Shaun finally relented. "But as usual, i won't give up!" He grinned, sticking out a tongue to irritate her. "As long as you're not married."

 

Jiyun rolled her eyes. "Do what you want, but i will not change my mind."

 

"But," Shaun added, "If you're ever tired, be it work or relationship related, just remember that i am always be here for you. Even as a rebound. Well, if i've returned home by the time you need me, you know i'm a plane ticket away!"

 

"Erm, no thanks." She replied, giving him wary looks like as if he is a suspicious person. "I'm doing fine with Jin."

 

"Who's that?"

 

"My 1.8 metre tall teddy bear."

 

"Why you, you little imp!" Shaun threw his head for a short laugh before leaning forward to dig his fist onto both sides of her temple. "I'm being serious here and you're joking like nobody's business!"

 

"Stop it, Shaun!" She giggled, making small escape attempts from him, which obviously failed.

In the midst of all their fun and laughter, a cough was being heard from behind them, stopping the idiotic friends from continuing their idiotic acts.

 

"Jiyun, you're too loud. You're disturbing my customers."

 

She looked up from recognising the familiar sounding voice. "Jaejoong!"

 

"Hi, noisy little girl." Jaejoong joked, adding a little handwave for additional effect.

 

"But Jaejoong, there are no customers already, it's already nearing midnight!" Jiyun retorted, pouting like a little girl.

 

Jaejoong covered his mouth before starting to loud out loud. "So you've realised that? Or you're enjoying the day with your date so well that you have lost sight of everything else around you?" He teased, turning to Shaun and acknowledging him with a smile and a nod.

 

"Jaejoong, i don't want to mess up your handsome face, but if you were to continue spouting nonsense..." She warned, raising both her hands to show him her long fingernails, "I can't promise you that you can make it out with your face intact."

 

"Wow, feisty." He commented with a smirk. "And to think i was considering to offer my help for tomorrow's dinner..."

 

Jiyun immediately withdrew her hands. "I'm taking a half day leave to get things prepared, honourable Mr Kim Jaejoong, my half brother since we have the same surname."

 

"Good girl!" Jaejoong smiled. "I'll pick you up from the office before we proceed to buy the ingredients..." He spoke, looking at his phone to check his schedule, "... At say, 2.30pm?"

 

"Sounds good to me!" Jiyun beamed, "Thanks in advance for your help!"

 

"What's happening tomorrow?" Shaun asked, looking puzzled the entire time.

 

"Oh, i'm inviting some friends over for a gathering celebration." Jiyun explained, "They achieved good results for their new album."

 

"I see..." He nodded in understanding.

 

"Oh i know! Jiyun, why don't you invite your friend along? You're Shaun, aren't you?" Jaejoong suggested, the smile never leaving his face once.

Shaun nodded, acknowledging that he is the person as mentioned.

 

"Oh yes," Jiyun thought, "Shaun, do drop by my house tomorrow evening too!"

 

"Is this really ok?" Shaun questioned doubtfully to which both Jiyun and Jaejoong nodded profusely. "Well, i suppose i'll come?"

Jaejoong glanced at the happy looking Jiyun who had continued to talk with Shaun. 'I bet Yoochun will be hopping mad if he knows about this.'