The Beach

The Popular Students - EXO?

Chapter 37 ^^ -xxharachixx


 

The group of five walked down the stairs to the beach, Yeonghee running in front. She ran onto the sand, dropped her belongings onto the ground and took off her cardigan before running out to the water. 


"She's so happy," Chanyeol smiled, putting his belongings on the ground too. "I'm happy that she's happy." He walked out slowly to the water to catch up with her. Myungsun helped you place a mat on the ground for you two to sit on and Kai walked off to talk to the other members of EXO and his other friends, who were situated further away. You lay down on your back, supporting yourself up with your forearms. The beach was full with most of the students, and even teachers were in the water. Misook's group were on the other side of the beach, tanning and checking out guys. Myungsun kept complaining about them and it made you laugh. 

 

"Honestly, everytime I look over there, it's either Misook or that Heejin going, 'Ohmygod, Jungmo! I want to feel your abs!' That guy has a girlfriend anyway, why would he like them?" She groaned and sat up, picking up sand and throwing it in their general direction. They were quite far away, but close enough so you could see them, so the sand didn't reach them at all. 

 

"Doesn't Heejin have a boyfriend?"

 

"I don't even know! She's always switching on and off between guys. You know last year, she dated Yeojun for 3 hours?"

 

You let out a laugh and shook your head. "Those girls are crazy."

 

"Jeongah!"

 

You looked over to the source of the noise, and saw Yeonghee calling you. "Come into the water! You're going to get sunburt if you stay out there the whole time."

 

You shook your head. "I'm OK! I'm wearing sunblock." Yeonghee nodded and turned back, walking into the water to reach Chanyeol. Chanyeol lifted her up and span her around, Yeonghee letting out a giggle, before placing a kiss on his lips. You smiled. The sight of Yeonghee and Chanyeol together reminded you of the time after school when you were sick and Sehun took you to the beach. You remembered the faint memories of him diving underwater with you, then kissing you once you reached the top, your clothes heavy as you stood, water up to your waist. You looked down and smiled. That was our first kiss. 

 

You shook yourself out of your thoughts, sat up and looked over to the group of boys on the side of the beach. Baekhyun and Suho were out in the water, but Kai was sitting with Sehun, the two boys talking, resting on their towels. Kyungsoo seemed to have not come on the trip at all, and that was a relief to you. Sehun was wearing a tank and boardshorts, his sandy blonde hair and loose clothing swaying slowly in the slight breeze, his semi tanned skin stretched perfectly over his muscles. He looked out onto the horizon, before suddenly turning to you. His dark brown eyes locked with yours for a split second. That split second seemed to have lasted longer than you thought it would. You could tell what was going through his head - he was upset about everything, and you were too. Through that second, he was telling you everything was going to be alright. He would fix everything, and everything would go back to how it used to be; before Misook and before Junghye. Before you knew it, he turned away and looked back at Kai, nodding to what he was saying. You looked out into the horizon and smiled. It's all going to get better, soon enough. Just like what Kai said.

 

--

 

"This thing's not going to turn on!" Kai shouted, sitting cross legged in the lounge room, fiddling with his ramen maker. He brought packets of ramen noodles to survive for the week, because apart from water and fruits, that was all he ate. Everyone, especially Mr Kim, always wondered how he stayed so fit.

 

"Kai, we can go down to the restaurant you know," you offered, towel-drying your wet hair. Myungsun was changing and Yeonghee and Chanyeol were in their room, looking through pictures they took together at the beach. "The food is free. It came with the hotel fees."

 

In frustration, he threw a packet of ramen at the wall. "Fine. But if they're not serving some kind of noodle dish, I'm just going to have to starve for the rest of the week." He stood up and picked up his phone from the table. "I'll head down with Yeonghee and Chanyeol. You and Myungsun can come down later."

 

You nodded in agreement and sat on the couch, waiting for Myungsun to finish changing. Yeonghee and Chanyeol walked out of their room and followed Kai, shutting the door behind them. While waiting for Myungsun to finish, you called your mother and told her everything was fine, and then called your brother who was in Busan. Myungsun came out of her room eventually, and the two of you walked down to the restaurant to meet the others. You and Myungsun looked around until you found the three of them sitting at a table, Kai devouring a plate of Galbi.You sat down next to him and flicked him on the head.

 

"You said you wouldn't eat anything!" You teased. "I guess you can't live up to what you say, huh? Thats not good, Kim Jongin!"

 

"I couldn't resist it," he mumbled, food still in his mouth. You looked away and pretended to puke.

 

"Don't speak with your mouth full. That's disgusting."

 

"I don't care, it's really good. You should order some."

 

You ordered a plate, and the others ordered their food too. It came to your table after a while and you tried it. It was actually really nice, and Kai ended up stealing your food again, like on the plane. Your group stayed for 2 hours, just chatting and ordering drinks, until it was 12 AM and you decided to leave. You walked out and crossed the concourse, it was pitch black outside, the moon in the sky. You arrived at the room, opening it with the key - the others stayed in the lounge room and talked and laughed the whole night, but you went straight to your room, changed, and lay on your bed since you were so tired. You shifted under the linen sheets, looking outside of the window; the shadows of the palm trees looked like people dancing outside. You heard the chatters of Kai and the others outside, your eyes drooping, before you finally fell into slumber.

 

--

 

Kyungsoo, Misook and Jeongah laughed, my body chained to the chair. Misook approached closer, warning off the others. With a sharp knife in her hand, she slowly traced the tip around my jawline, a smirk on her face. "You're a pretty girl," she mumbled, the cold tip of the knife trailing down to my neck. "It's a shame that I'm going to have to kill you." With one slash, she cut open the flesh of my neck, and I let out a scream.

 

Junghye let out an earpiercing laugh as the blood trailed down my collarbones, staining my clothing, my breathing shallow. "I've been waiting for so long to see her like this," she giggled, clapping her hands together like a child. The pain was overwhelming. My heartbeat was slowing. They had already broken both my legs and the loss of blood was taking its toll. Kyungsoo approached me, my own blood on his fingers. I breathed in one last breath and let him do what needed to be done. He swung his arm back and the impact hit the back of my skull ---

 

You opened your eyes hastily. You were hyperventilating, your body covered in a thin film of sweat. Your eyes darted around the room to check your surroundings. You were still in the hotel room and Myungsun was sleeping quietly on the bed next to you. Kicking the sheets off, you walked out of your room and into the kitchen, pouring a glass of water. You slowly sipped the water, your body significantly calming down. You heard footsteps behind you and you turned around as someone the light.

 

"Jeongah, what are you doing? It's 2 AM," Myungsun asked, rubbing her eyes.

 

"I'm sorry," you replied, putting the glass down. "I had a nightmare."

 

"Come back in the room," she said. "We can talk about it." You followed Myungsun and layed back down on your bed, facing Myungsun. "What was the nightmare about?"

 

"This is my second nightmare like this," you mumbled, trying to keep your voice down to not disturb the others. "It... it involves violent things with me, Misook, Kyungsoo and Junghye. In this particular one, Misook and Kyungsoo killed me. With a knife."

 

Myungsun sighed. "When we get back to Seoul, we'll go to a psychologist. Those things can really scare you. But for now, lets try to get some sleep, OK? We have to watch the fireworks tomorrow."

 

You nodded in agreement. "Thankyou, Myungsun."

 

She smiled. "It's OK. I'm here, if you need to talk about it." With that, she turned away and pulled the covers over herself. You turned away and got comfortable, trying to close your eyes to sleep. The nightmare kept repeating in your head, over and over again. You then remembered what happened at the beach earlier that day; how Sehun had looked at you, and how the butterflies kept fluttering in your stomach everytime you thought about it. That idea overwhelmed the nightmares, and you fell asleep, a smile plastered on your face.