Answering Machine

The Popular Students - EXO?

chapter 33 for yah :3  --xxharachixx


 

 
3 Weeks Later
 
 
"Ahn Yeunja, 92.7."
 
You hated this part the most. The expectations for the school were extremely high. Unless you were near the 90's mark, you were deemed 'stupid' or 'uneducated'. Scores for tests were always read out to the class, regardless whether you got a bad mark or not. It was embarrassing, especially for those students who didn't get a good mark. 
 
 
Some students whispered in the back of the classroom. Yeunja, one of the quiet students, nodded and bowed at Mr Gu.
 
 
"Ahn Youngsu, 89.3. Bang Okrim, 94.6. Byun Baekhyun, 93.2."
 
 
Mr Gu continued down the list, until the J surname was reached. Your heart pounded in your chest as you felt your name approaching closer.
 
 
"Jeung Misook, 72.5. A dissapointment."
 
 
You could hear her scoff in the back of the classroom. "It doesn't matter, old man," she shouted, her friends laughing. Mr Gu ignored her. He was used to her rude remarks, and so were the rest of the class.
 
 
"Jung Jaesup, 94. Kang Jeongah, 99.8. Congratulations." Your mouth dropped and your eyes widened. Yeonghee smiled at you.
 
 
"Good job, Jeongah!" Myungsun whispered. You still couldn't believe it; a 99.8. 0.2 marks away from 100%.
 
 
Mr Gu continued with the rest of the list. Myungsun had a 92.3, Yeonghee got 94, Kai got a 87, Sehun got a 93, Chanyeol got a 88 and Kyungsoo, to your disbelief, recieved a 74.7. He looked devastated. One of Misooks friends patted him on the shoulder and if you remember hearing correctly, heard her say; "It's alright, Kyungsoo-ah. It won't affect anything." After the list was read out, students were all chatting between themselves, discussing their marks. Mr Gu interrupted the chatter after a few minutes.
 
 
"The student rankings for this year have been updated," he announced, looking down at his computer. The chatters immediately died down, students dying to hear who was at the top of the school. "Number 3, Ma Changsun, he's in another class. Number 2, Shin Chunja, also from another class-"
 
 
"Yah, get on with it, old man!" Misook shouted again. You looked behind your shoulder and saw her, sitting back in her chair. She looked irritated. 
 
 
"If you continue with this behaviour Miss Jeung, I will report you to Mrs Jeong."
 
 
"Whatever."
 
 
Mr Gu rolled his eyes and coughed into the back of his hand, looking down at his laptop again. "Number 1 - Kang Jeongah, congratulations." The class clapped. For a second, you couldn't believe it. Maybe I'm dreaming. Maybe I'm still asleep. A rush of contentment overwhelmed your body as you realised you were awake. Your lips tugged into a smile as Yeonghee and Myungsun hugged you. You looked over to the boys on the side of the class room; Kai gave you a thumbs up. Sehun was still looking down, as always.
 
 
The bell rung, and students fled out of the classroom as quickly as usual. You sat down at the benches, Kai and Chanyeol joining you again. Myungsun pulled a Sunny 10 can out of her bag again and opened it, chugging it down. Chanyeol didn't say anything until he brought up a subject.
 

"You haven't seen that Junghye girl ever since this guy punched her in the face, right?" He asked, patting Kai on the shoulder. Kai let out a laugh and fiddled with his bag.
 
 
"Honestly, that deserved it," Kai joked as he pulled out his phone. "I haven't seen her at all. She probably ran away from all the humiliation." You couldn't help but smile. Kai saw you smile and seemed to stare at you longer than usual, which freaked you out a bit. Biting your lip you looked away, before another subject came to mind.
 
 
"Did you get to track that caller ID down?" You asked Chanyeol. He looked up and shook his head.
 
 
"It seemed to have been blocked, somehow," he replied. Chanyeol was great with computers and technology, but even he didn't get to track down the caller ID of the creepy man who called you at 1AM in the morning 3 weeks ago. Myungsun assumed Sehun was up to something, but you thought differently. It obviously had something to do with Misook.
 
 
--
 
 
You have a message~! You have a message~!
 
 
You picked up your phone sitting on the other side of your desk and turned it on, reading what was on the screen.
 
 
6:32 Yeonghee
Hey, apparently Mrs Jeong is scheduling a school camp for 100 students to go to Jejudo. Do you want to go with Myungsun and me? I'll go if Chanyeol can be in my cabin ;)
 
 
You grimaced at the thought of your two good friends doing that stuff. 
 
 
6:32 Jeongah
Ewwww, thanks for making me puke a bit in my mouth. But sure, I'll go. When is it?
 
 
6:32 Yeonghee
No idea. Chanyeol told me she's going to talk about it tomorrow at school. I'm def going, and Myungsun said she's probably going too. Btw, Chanyeol thinks that he's traced the number. Get more info from him, all he said was technical stuff.
 
 
6:34 Jeongah
Thanks for telling me. I'll talk to him about it.
 
 
You dialed Chanyeols number into your phone and put it up to your ear, the ringing filling your ears. Eventually, a tired sounding Chanyeol picked up.
 
 
"Hello?"
 
 
"Chanyeol? Yeonghee told me you could've tracked the number."
 
 

"Oh, right," he mumbled, clattering audible in the background. "Let me go find this thing."

 

You waited a few seconds before the boy picked up the phone and talked again. "I'm not 100% sure this is the person that called you. I swear I heard this nunber from somewhere, but whatever."

 

Chanyeol read out the number and you scribbled it down onto a piece of paper. "Thanks for telling me. I really appreciate your work."

 

"No biggie," he answered. "See you at school tomorrow." He hung up.

 

You put your phone on the table and held the paper up, shining it underneath the light from the lamp on your table. The combination of 11 numbers could lead you to anything; an innocent person who got tracked by mistake, or a sinister person planning to find you; or even worse, kill you. Hesitating, you typed the number into your phone and held the device up to your ear, your breathing shallow. The phone rung for what seemed ages, until it finally stopped. But it went to voicemail. And it was not what you were expecting.

 

"Hi, you've reached the voicemail of Do Kyungsoo. I'm sorry I can't answer the phone right now, so please leave a message. Thankyou!"