Chapter 38: In the Mind of an Alpha

From Livid to Loyal

 

It was warm. The breeze that blew by was balmy and clean, making Yunho reluctant to wake up. There was a voice that did it though, one he hadn’t heard in a long time. 

‘Yunho… Wake up.’ There was a soft giggle that followed the feminine voice which called out to him. His head shot up, alert and aware as he looked around. Where was he? The sky was a clear and cloudless blue and he lay in a sea of soft yellow flowers that seemed almost endless. Everything had a fuzzy almost soft edge to it that the wolf couldn’t explain. He couldn’t put his finger on it just yet but something about that voice made his mind claw around desperately for an identity while he looked around. 

‘That voice…’He murmured softly, freezing in his tracks after he made a 180 degree turn. The first thing he saw were his eyes. His eyes on white fur that wasn’t his. They looked back at him, their expression wasn’t one from shock, no. Those eyes already knew him. Slowly it started coming back to him.

‘Yuna?’ His voice dripped with utter disbelief.  The wagging of her white tail caught his attention and another giggle erupted from the other wolf.

‘You remembered.’

‘But how is this possible.’ He backed up a few steps, ears falling back and a low whine coming from him. This was upsetting him. ‘Yuna you’re supposed to be dead. How are you here?’

She laughed at him and stepped closer even when he growled at her. ‘I should be asking you the same thing big brother. You’re supposed to be alive right now. How did you get here?’

‘I’m not dead.’ He laughed. ‘Believe me I’m alive and well. I think this is just a dream. That’s all. Weird one, I’ll have to tell Jae about it when I…Jae.  I need to wake up. Goddamnit I need to wake up right now.’ 

Yuna watched the black wolf shake  about and flail violently in an attempt to jostle himself awake.  She shook her head and spoke.

‘That’s not going to work Yunho. You’re not sleeping. You’re not exactly dead either, but you’re not really alive.’ She sighed with a slight whine, sitting down. 

‘What are you talking about Yuna? This isn’t the time to be joking around like that. I need to wake up, I have to go make sure Jaejoong is safe. These creatures, they invaded the school and started attacking everyone and-‘

‘And you were electrocuted during the battle by a student at the school and out. It was a case of misidentification and you got hit with an electrically imbued knife in your side.’

Yunho stiffened at the words of his sister…or well this apparition of his dead sister. They didn’t sound like lies, but he didn’t know how to feel about them. ‘So what does this mean?’

‘This means your little sister is going to help you wake up. Right now, your mind is in a huge disconnect with your body. It’s doing it’s job by staying alive, but you need to get back to it before you ever wake up.’ Her tail started wagging from excitement. ‘I’ve missed you so much Yunho.’ She whined, resisting the urge to nuzzle into her sibling, and instead focusing her attention on a butterfly to keep herself grounded in resistance.

This sent chills down Yunho’s spine. It hadn’t exactly sunk in until then, but here he was, talking to his sister who’d been dead for three years. He’d missed her to, and to show some affection, he closed the gap between them and made the move to nuzzle into her. 

She protested at the last second, but it was too late, they’d made contact and suddenly, Yunho’s vision went dark and he was met with the loud blood curdling screams of his sister on the day she was killed by rogue males. It was only a moment of contact; He flung himself back from her the minute he heard the screams, but in that brief moment, the entire scene played out in his mind, even parts he’d never seen before, given the circumstances. 

They were 16 and 13 back then. Yuna was old enough to go on her first hunt, and Yunho had offered to take her out into the woods to go after the deer that browsed the branches of trees. He’d never forget that day. It was winter time and there was a thick blanket of snow on the ground. Yuna was busy tracking the movements of the deer, showing him how much she had learned from watching the  older wolves hunt. He helped put her in the right direction a few times, but ultimately he was proud at how fast she was learning, growing. Yuna would make a fantastic hunter for these parts, her coat was a snowy white and she blended in with the snow well enough. Yunho on the other hand stuck out like a sore thumb if it was daylight and he was in an open field, stalking. In warmer weather when there wasn’t a white contrast? He blended in with the forest. And even when there was snow, as long as the lighting was low, or the trees stood dense, he could make it work. Once she’d found and picked out the deer she wanted to try her luck with, the two of them worked on ambushing and separating the chosen fawn from its herd. Yunho wouldn’t assist her with the catching and killing of her meal, but he would run off the others so they didn’t try and get bold. It’d happened before when he went on a solo hunt, having the tables him when he threatened the young. But that was probably his mistake. Maybe it was the amount of snow? No, he would always feel like it was his fault no matter what he did, or whatever reasons anyone came up with.

Yuna was a quick canine, but the baby deer was a hair faster than she was. That didn’t make her give up though,  Yuna was just as, if not more stubborn than her older brother and she gave chase for a few miles. Wolves were distance runners by natures, werewolves had better stamina though, so she was able to keep up better than their natural cousins. Feeling her breath hitch though, she took a lunge for the long  thin hind leg of the fawn when it stumbled and she latched on. This was when all the things Yunho had wondered about, how it happened, were revealed. Yuna had caught the deer by it’s leg, yes, but the traction in the snow was bad and she slipped and tumbled down a hill that led to a small overhang of the mountainside. When she landed,  it was on the forest ground; a six foot drop into more snow was a blessing, the Fawn was injured, it’s leg was twisted awkwardly, though it kept kicking and crying out for it’s group. Maybe even pain. That’s probably what did it. There were wolves gathering, three big males with earth toned pelts, growling slightly as they approached the pale female. She was a bit aloof, not easily intimidated by others even if they were older, so she didn’t try to escape. Instead through clenched jaws she spoke to them while they approached. 

’Sorry about that. Little bugger tried to get away from me. Sorry for disturbing you. We’ll be on our way in just a second.’ She tried backing out to the left, making the small deer cry out more, hopping on three legs as it tried to keep it’s footing. The males laughed at her, and one snarled, His fur was a mud brown and his eyes were golden and dangerous. He had lunged at the baby deer and snapped its neck between his jaws. That had startled Yuna, but she didn’t let go of the now limp creature. 

‘Thanks for killing it, You can let go now.’

He didn’t. Instead he tried to tug it away from her. She tugged back with a growl.

‘I said you can let go.’ Her growl was as threatening as a thirteen year old could sound and it made the golden eyed male  chuckle darkly.

‘I’m afraid you’ll have to let go and be on your way. This kill is ours now.’

‘It is not. I caught it. It’s mine.’ Her lips curled back to expose her teeth. She was threatening him. 

‘Let go. Little girl. Or I’ll snap your neck too.’

‘No. It’s my deer. Go find your own.’ 

‘Last warning snowflake. Run along back to your family. I’m being nicer than I have to be.’

So she let go. She let go and stood there growling. She should have run off, but Yuna felt disrespected. She may have still been young, but she was like her brother in calling. An alpha personality. When the started walking off, she snapped. Literally, rushed the male with the deer in his mouth and latched onto his ear. She caused a yelp to come from him, and that egged her on to leave a message. She tore off a chunk of his ear and backpedaled, the hunk of fur and flesh still between her teeth as she snarled.  He charged her, in a blinding rage and she fought him back. Being that she was much smaller, she could escape from his clutches a lot easier,  but he had wounded her side when he caught her with his teeth, causing the first of many screams to come. It wasn’t until Yunho heard her scream out for him that he came running to see what had happened. Was it a bear? His little sister was in pain and he needed to find out why. He’d followed her tracks all the to where she slipped down, he made his way down carefully, the screams getting more desperate. By the time he made it to the overhang she dropped from,  the sight before him made his world stand still. The dark male had her by the scruff and was rag-dolling her with vicious shake, slamming her against the trunk of a tree and letting her slump down on her own devices. By then she was whimpering weakly, and all that could be heard clearly were the angry snarls of the her attacker. Blood was everywhere and it was hers. He could smell it even from this height. 

The other two that were with him, had long backed off when she called for reinforcements. Attacking the pup of a pack wasn’t something they wanted to be around for, mostly because of the fact that they’d be outnumbered and killed indefinitely.

Yunho lunged off the short cliff with the angriest snarl he’d ever unleashed, getting the other males attention. He was still a bit smaller than the male he confronted, but the rage he felt fueled him to fight, shoving him off and away from his wounded sibling. If it wasn’t for a lucky swipe to the males eye, Yunho would have been killed without a doubt. The bigger male had gone to rip out his throat and Yunho managed to blind him in his left eye, sending him reeling and retreating. 

He was shaking, panting and still angry, the only thing that stopped him from huffing was the meek whimpers coming from behind him. His sister had made her way over to the deer she caught, and kept whimpering. 

‘L-look Yunho. My first deer.’ Her voice was a rasp, but her battered tail still wagged while she pawed at the dead fawn. 

Immediately his posture changed, and he started whining, nudging and cleaning his sisters head which had a few bite wounds.  The next set of words broke his heart.

‘Are… Are you proud of me?’

His whining was turning into cries. ‘Very proud of you. I’m always proud of you Yuna. Always.’

‘That big bully tried to take it, but look. I didn’t let him. See… it’s right here.’

‘That’s because you’re so strong Yuna. You’re the strongest in our pack.’

‘Yunho?’

‘Shh, Yuna, lets not talk now, we have to get you home now so you can get fixed up and show everyone what you caught.’

‘Yunho I’m cold. Can we take a quick nap please? I’m so tired, that wolf scratched me up.’ Her voice got even weaker, barely above a whisper, and she was wheezing now. In this form he couldn’t cry, but the constant whimpering of anguish was the canine form of that. His sister was already too far gone. The only thing he could do was make her last moments comfortable as possible. He curled up  around her and continued to groom her, his heart breaking with each second. 

‘It’s okay, you messed him up worse. Rest now, when you wake up, we’ll go home and show everyone how good of a hunter you are.’

‘Promise?’

‘I promise sis.’ His voice cracked. ‘Yuna.’ He said urgently, as if trying to keep her awake with his sudden bark. ‘I love you, you know that right? Everyone loves you.’

Her attempt at a laugh was a wheeze, the corners of picking up only slightly in a wolfish smile. ‘I know. I love you too big brother.’

And then she stopped breathing. 

---------------------

Posted: 12/9/13

Oh my god this chapter actually got me a bit sad. Sorry it's such a downer of a chapter, But This is an important turning point in the story, as you will see in future updates. No Yunho isn't dead. In case it wasn't clear in the story. What did you think of this update? Hopefully it was good, all things considered. As usual, I'll see you all in the next update. please don't hate me for this ;A;