Chapter 37: Alpha Down

From Livid to Loyal

Things had all happened so fast, it was a wonder that any of the fledglings and wolves were able to process any of what was going on. The first years that made it to the outskirts of the school grounds safely witnessed a horde of upperclassmen and staff members taking off to the freshman building where the carnage inside took place. All the younger ones could do was wait outside, crying and terrified that their friends and protectors were still inside, some had died, and others were gravely injured, but the condition of a majority of the missing freshman were unknown. This included Minho and Yunho, which had their respective vampire charge on edge and in near hysterics.  The wolves on the other hand? Were fighting the instinct that screamed for them to go in and help their pack, because a big part of their gut told them to stand and protect their vampires.

 

Meanwhile, on the inside, Minho’s guard hairs were singed off by a fireball lobbed in his direction, distracting him enough to get pinned down and bitten at by the white Therian with red eyes who had been a nuisance since his days at the compound.

 

“The intruders lack collars! Watch your aim before you kill friend over foe.” One of the teachers hollered.

 

Yunho tackled the white creature off of his packmate, but in turn, was tag-teamed by three more, one at his flanks, another at the scruff of his neck and one at his hind leg.

He was immediately released when he heard a loud crackling sound, smelt the singe of flesh and felt the slump of a dead Therian on his back. It was a dappled gray creature, eyes frozen in utter fear, tongue lolled out his gaping jaws. The black alpha male shook the corpse off of him and backpedaled a few steps. What just happened?

He glanced around quickly to see a woman with the utmost concentration in her features, lifting up a Therian from the ground with her gaze. The helpless humanoid girl writhed about fruitlessly before her neck twisted unnaturally, causing Yunho to flinch, and back up a bit more from the sight of her body crumpling down to the floor. What had he just witnessed?  A death was the obvious visual, but that woman killed the creature without touching her; the definition of  ‘if looks could kill’ in his mind.

She locked eyes with him and he froze up, feeling his head tip up towards the ceiling by an unknown force. He could hear a low ringing in his ears, and tried to scramble backwards to escape the force, but nothing happened. His legs scrabbled about fruitlessly, like a chained up dog at the end of it’s lead trying to go further than the chain linked boundary set for it.

Minho saw it happen, the woman looked away from Yunho with wide eyes and screamed “No!” But by then it was too late. A throwing knife imbued with what looked like white sparks was thrown at the male and he convulsed wildly before he even knew what hit him. By that point, his body crumpled to the ground stiffly, the last thing he saw was the woman rushing over to him.

In Minho’s mind? The murder of the group’s alpha was just committed, which in werewolf society? Meant death of the offender. A sophomore who had a ‘trigger finger’ of sorts was attacked from behind, and knocked onto his stomach. Couldn’t exactly rip out his throat, but he could try for the spine. A Therian knocked him out of the way at the last second and took it upon himself to gore out the student like a rabid animal who hadn’t eaten in months. The brown and black male let this slide, because in his mind justice was served, and he went over to investigate his fallen comrade. He was already gone, body vanished into thin air. His strongest urge at that point was to find the others, let them know of everything that happened at that particular point and to get the out of that school. 

On his way out to try and find those who escaped, he could hear a loud, snarled “Retreat!” of a Therian, the battle had been won, but did they already lose the war? Minho tried to push the uneasy feelings to the back of his mind, trying instead, to figure out how to break the troubling news to the group, let alone Jaejoong. He let out a soft whine of discomfort, especially when Taemin spotted him and ran over like he had no sense.

How long had the wolf been limping? A wave of relief washed over the male once he was able to make sure his vampire was unscathed. He had to pull away though, and make his way to the group, not even noticing the blood that got on Taemin’s clothes from the hug, it didn’t matter though. He wouldn’t be able to tell how much of that blood belonged to him or others in the room.

The first thing he did, was look at Jaejoong who seemed excited, but still on edge that one of their own made it out. He couldn’t pick up on the tense air that surrounded the blood-matted brute. The other canines however? They seemed to already be expecting the worst and hoping for the best in that situation.

‘Where’s Yunho?’ Changmin asked with a whine, and it was at that point Minho hesitated, the words not able to leave his lips for some reason. That was all it took for them to fill in the blanks.

Whimpering started up with the understudy before he let out a mournful howl that made the others in their little group start up, Jinki excluded since he was in human form. Tears lined the omegas eyes as he faced the young vampires who were confused as to what was happening.

Turning to Jaejoong he kept his gaze to the snow covered ground, focusing on a set of bloody paw prints.

“Yunho’s been killed.”

 

Meanwhile, in an empty stairwell, the female vampire that had approached the fallen male was his fur while an older vampire male inspected him.

“Will he be alright?” she asked.

“He has a pulse, it’s faint…but thankfully the fledgling’s talent wasn’t yet potent enough to kill. If he’s strong enough to pull through, then he’ll be fine.  What of his owner?”
 

“I have no idea. He wasn’t exactly protecting a vampire, he was helping out the other wolves.”

 

“That just means we will have to get his prints checked out and find out who this big boy belongs to. That, and the others need to be identified as well, the dead, the wounded and the dying.”

 

“I was only checking for a collar, I think we need to make it our business of getting collars with colors that stand out against fur, rather than blending in with it. This would have been a better fight otherwise. How do you think those creatures got in here?”

 

“I don’t know, Yoonji. This was supposed to be a safehaven.”

 

“We have to make some adjustments to the barrier then. That’s all. You go let the other teachers know to bring all those who still breathe into the 4th building.  Complete lockdown until I say otherwise, Headmaster’s orders. I’ll see to it this one gets his wounds treated and is monitored for any signs of consciousness. We need to figure out what happened today and how we lost so many new fledglings.” He sighed.

 

“As you wish Headmaster. “ she said with a small sigh, leaving the stairwell immediately.

 

“Alright then brave wolf, lets get you back in fighting condition then, hmm?” he asked the unconscious Yunho, scooping up the limp form with ease. 

 

---------------------

Posted: 10/1/13

 

Guess who's back~ School is finally almost done for me. omfg. A lot of stuff has been hapening and I was finally able to retrieve all the lost documents from my corrupted external hard drive and move them into my new computer. That's one thing. Another is, well this is Finals week, so we're heading down the home stretch now. I've been redoing the banner for this story recently, deciding to draw everything out instead of using photos, and been contemplating different plans of medium for this story. *coughgraphicnovelmaybecough* but I've missed this story, as well as my others and now that I'll be having time to write everything again (as some of you knew my motherboard on my other computer just said I hate you now im not going to work haha bye) and I look forward to it. Sorry this chapter is short. I mean really I've been gone since like July. But hopefully I can be forgiven? Somewhat? I've missed you all, and  Ihope i can make it up to you guys ;A; So as always, I'll be seeing you in the next update~