Chapter 36: Impossibility and Consequence

From Livid to Loyal

 

 

If one could explain how things went from tranquil to disastrous, then they would have a better understanding than those who were dealt with the current situation at hand.  People started going missing from time to time. Sometimes it was fledglings, other times it was the staff. No one understood how it was happening and the days and weeks building up to the freshman influx were tenser than they should have been. The group had extended its welcome to four new faces; two wolves names Katerzinia and Azeth, along with their two fledgling owners Kairo and the blind Bellatrix.  It all started with an outburst from Minho.

 

‘It’s been you, hasn’t it?’ He spat with a snarl that had others in the gated feeding pens pricking their heads up. Azeth, the white wolf with blue eyes stood protectively in front of the red-eyed female who was being confronted.

 

‘What nonsense accusations are you spewing now mutt?’ she snarled back, hackles raised and teeth bared defensively.

 

‘Ever since you guys showed up, something hasn’t been right. Now people are disappearing. I’m getting sick of standing idly by while this continues. What have you been doing to the fledglings?” His growl was a threat more than it was a warning. Werewolves didn’t do well under tension they were quick to snap when under pressure and their thralls were under threat. Everyone who was an outsider to the pack was under scrutiny, but it was something about these particular characters that never sat right with him. Wanting answers and a relief of stress was what started it.  It was the information he knew which the others overlooked, that sparked the demanding aggression.

 

‘So just because we’re newcomers it’s our fault?’ Azeth scoffed with a snort from his nostrils. He was an alpha male type, so he openly challenged Minho’s domineering attitude.

 

Changmin crept away from the situation, pawing at the door to be let in. With all the new talent bound fledglings, wolves had the option of sitting at lunch with their owners to keep a watchful eye on the going ons, but only after they ate themselves. Changmin hadn’t eaten yet, but he needed to inform Jinki of what was happening outside so he could relay the message to Taemin and the others. It seemed like a fight was going to break out, and with six werewolves in a small pen surrounded by hundreds of other stressed out and hungry werewolves, the situation was growing increasingly serious and possibly deadly.

 

‘J-Jinki something’s about to go down, Minho looks like he’s about to pick a fight with Azeth and Kat outside.’

 

The werewolf’s head whipped down to his pack mate with a startled and concerned look. “Seriously? Alright I’ll let the others know right now.”

“What happened Jinki?” Junsu asked, raising the attention of the other vampires at the lunch table.

 

“You guys need to hurry and separate Minho, Katerzinia and Azeth. They’re about to start fighting, and that’ll involve the others defending Minho. Not to mention the chain reaction it’ll set off with the others who’re eating out there.”

 

That was all that was needed for everyone to scramble for their designated feeding pen, only to see Yunho pinning down the red eyed female who kept trying to get at Minho, and the wolf in question snarling, snapping, kicking and biting at Azeth as they fought bitterly.  Yoochun and Jonghyun didn’t get involved since it was a one on one fight, but the minute Kairo and Bellatrix yelled at their wolves, they stopped moving immediately. Feeling that the situation was under control, Yunho got up from his position, and watched as the female skulked off in the direction of master, Azeth however didn’t back down entirely with as much ease. He still snarled, tail puffed and raised in aggression, an action that Minho returned easily.  The fight was obviously over, but tension was thick outside, so everyone thought it would be best to bring them all inside in a more open space so they could be monitored from further fighting.

 

“You mind explaining why you’re at it again with these two Minho?” Jinki asked the ornery male who walked protectively in front of Taemin with an agitated swish of his tail.

 

‘They’re not werewolves Jinki. Why can’t you see this?”

 

“Again with this? “ he sighed, taking his seat.

 

‘Yes again with this. Those things aren’t wolves. It’s impossible.’ He growled.

 

“What’s going on?” Taemin asked.

 

“Minho thinks Azeth and Kat aren’t werewolves for whatever reason,” Kairo chuckled. The group found it cool that both Kairo and Bellatrix could speak werewolf, but unbeknownst to them, a multitude of vampires were listening into the conversation, along with their wolves.

 

‘Its not for whatever reason.’ Minho mocked with an insulting whine.

 

“Alright then. Prove it. How is it that Kat and Azeth can’t be werewolves when they clearly are. “ He spoke loudly and exaggeratedly, as if knowing Minho wouldn’t be able to come up with a legitimate reason or excuse.

 

The male werewolf simply scoffed. “Isn’t it obvious? Albinism doesn’t exist in werewolves. Neither do blue eyes. It’s a genetic impossibility in our race because they’re defects. Don’t you see? We are a race free of defects from birth because of the way our cells work. They’re constantly regenerating and cleaning out scars and imperfections. Your ‘wolves’ are defects.’ He was growling again. His fur stood on end and his body tensed.  Realization struck the face of the werewolves in their group both human and canid forms. The alpha males words were true. Werewolves came from wolves somewhere along their ancestral line. They kept true to the fur colors, eye colors and habits that their distant ancestor possessed; blue eyes and albinism were non-existent in natural settings.

 

The two vampires and their wolves in question were left dumbfounded at this information. The one thing a Therian could never change in any form they assumed, was their fur tone and eye color. “Then I guess they’re unique then.” Bellatrix chimed with ease.

 

‘No. They’re Therians. And so are you.’ He turned to face the two vampires with accusation. It was all in the eyes.  ‘I don’t know how it never fully clicked for me until recently but I mean think about it. White fur and blue eyes. White fur and red eyes… you must be the black Therian with white eyes because your hair is black and you eyes are white. You aren’t even blind because your eyes are still responsive to movement in ways they shouldn’t be. As for this one, he’s the white Therian with black eyes. I don’t know how they managed to get in here, but they’ve been the reasoning behind the random disappearances. Not homesickness or hazing done by the older vampires. Hell I doubt many of the vampires were killing each other off as I first thought. It’s all been you.

 

‘I knew you’d be trouble you meddlesome wolf. But now that you’ve figured it out, I guess that means it’s time for the feast.’ The red eyed wolf snarled.

 

‘You wouldn’t dare to try anything so stupid with so many here that can overtake you.’ Minho said with a wolfish smirk.

 

 

Jinki was relaying the entire conversation to the vampires while he stripped down telling them to be ready to make a run for the bridge before he shifted into his wolf form.

 

‘Foolish little canine. Do you think we are the only ones here? Look around you? See everyone who is paying mind to the conversation? Begin the feast!’ Katerzinia all but roared in that eerie otherworldly voice that all the Therian seemed to have with only slight differences in tone. That was when chaos took place. While eyes moved to the loud roar, others who knew what was going on took the opportunity to pounce. The first bloodcurdling scream was all it took for the bloodbath to start. Werewolves could be heard outside, attacking the doors and each other at the sounds of vampire fledglings screeching, panic leaving its salty taste in the air. Jinki and Changmin took the fledglings while Yunho, Minho, Jonghyun and Yoochun entered the fray to buy them time. Splintering wood was heard when some of the doors didn’t open up fast enough sending in a flood of canine forms to help their masters out, Therian and fledgling alike. Some vampires bolted out of the lunchroom, scattering like bugs to the flicker of a bright light only to run into a werewolf male who told them if they wanted to live, to head for the bridge for the others. He’d thought about just saving on their group, but the omega had a soft heart and wanted to save as many as he could. He told others to run to the  building of the upper classmen to let them in on the situation and tell them to flee for the bridge, that this wasn’t a joke.

 

Meanwhile, back inside, blood diluted the scents of anything else and it was hard to identify who was friend and who was foe unless you knew them well enough. There were a few males and female wolves who stood in a protective circle around the frightened fledglings who didn’t yet know how to fight, and Yunho made a beeline for them telling them that if they wanted to live to spread the word to their pack members to make a run for the bridge because these weren’t normal wolves and vampires they were up against. How was he able to do this? The Therians were greedy. Once a vampire was dead, they fought each other for rights to the blood for reasons unknown to the male. With so many dead there was more fighting between themselves than there were with the wolves and vampires.

 

He didn’t know if they’d listen or agree, but he knew that his worry was with his pack and his vampire. Being away from Jaejoong went against every fiber in his being, but some of the wolf formed enemies were still attacking his group specifically since they were the ones who figured everything out. Minho was gravely outnumbered for his contribution to their outing and he was struggling greatly.  After telling his two beta males to take off and keep the others safe, Yunho made the decision to try and get Minho out of the situation long enough for them both to run off. That mistake would cost him greatly.

 

 

--------------------

Posted: 6/13/2013

Holy cow.Today was just full of MAJOR surprises. It's been three months since I last showed my face on this site and I come back to a MAJOR influx of subscribers. Funny how I said I'd be returning to AFF on Thursday and today is ironically thursday. Sorry I've been away for so long, but life has been pretty busy. I'm 21 now, and nearly done with college >_<' but  I want to say THANK YOU FOR FINDING INTEREST AND THANKS ICHIGO FOR PLACING THE AD<3 I won that right in a writing conest a bit ago, so its a little exciting to see my story on the front page. Also a disclaimer of sorts. No one of major importance dies in this fic. Otherwise I'd tag in character death. So please. no hate mail like the last time you thought someone was going to die. (I believe it was this story too that it happened.) What happens though? you'll see in the next update ;D Thanks for reading every and please leave your opinions and comments below, it's always interesting to see what readers think about what I write.